Jul 2

13 Years Ago Today

13 Years ago today, my 3rd son was born.  I didn’t know it at the time, but I gave birth to the sweetest child in the world that day.  Dylan Ross Taylor is my child who possesses a great amount of love for others, a smile to share daily, sensitivity towards others, a loyal disposition, and a heart of gold.  This is all true.  If I had to say anything negative about him, it would be that he carries others’ burdens way heavier than a boy his age should.  Well that and he’s a bit unorganized and easily distracted. :)  Proverbs 3:5-6 are his life verses that we taught him when he was little as he has grown they have always seemed to fit.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. (NIV) (used purple because that is his favorite color)  Even at his young age, he relies on these verses, a promise from God that when we trust Him and not ourselves, He will provide direction.

If you are visiting my blog today via the Proverbs 31 Devotions, thank you for popping over. I’m glad you are here.

It is totally a coincidence that my devotion is running on Dylan’s birthday.  Well a coincidence to me, not to God.  In my devotion I wrote about how God is enough…enough to provide for and get us through any and all situations.  His Word gives us that reassurance.  His Words give us the comfort and security we need. Dylan has also found comfort and security from God’s Word as well as the words people have spoken and prayed in his life.  Let me explain.

Dylan was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when he was in the 1st grade. Now some of you may think that’s way too young to be given a diagnosis like that, but for my husband and I, it answered many questions.  Like, why did our son cry for hours after being disciplined (simple discipline like getting a card pulled at school)?  Why did he remain visibly upset after hearing the alarm during a routine fire drill at school or seeing a bee in the backyard at home?  Why did he worry so much about problems that weren’t his own?  Why did he have acid reflux so often and there was no physical reason for it?  Why did he perform well on tests with no time limit but bomb on tests with a time limit?  Anxiety.  And with his diagnosis came education and knowledge on how to best treat it and help Dylan.  He began taking medication, which helped a great deal.  We also learned how to adjust various other factors in Dylan’s life. Two things provided Dylan great comfort. One was that his mom’s friends were praying for him.  The other was God’s Word.

When Dylan was 9 years old, he had to have a lot of lab work done involving needles and the drawing of blood. Anxiety disorders and needles don’t go well together in case you are wondering.  He practically hyperventilated just hearing what would be done to him.  His breathing became short and he went into panic mode just listening to the doctor explain what needed to be done. Since we had been working with Dylan on speaking up for what he needed, he decided this was a good time to put that into practice and I’ll never forget it.  He said,”Can we please wait 1 week to do this lab work please?”  The doctor asked, “Why?”  To which Dylan replied, “I’d like to get my mom’s friends to pray for me.”  The doctor replied with an absolute, “Certainly, that’s a great idea.”  We got home and Dylan said to me, “Mom, if you will get all of your praying friends to please pray for me to be brave and unafraid, I know it will work.”  So of course, I did.  And let me tell you what my sweet praying friends did.  They did pray for him, but not only that, they emailed letters to Dylan sharing with him their exact prayers and their words of encouragement.  Dylan believed them and he believed in the power of prayer. He believed that God heard these prayers and a week later, we went to the lab.  When it was time, I could tell Dylan was nervous, but he kept saying, “God is with me and will get me through this. Trust the Lord with all my heart…” At that moment he needed to decide, Is God enough to get me through this. He obviously decided Yes. The nurse stuck the needle in his arm and the blood was drawn.  5 viles full.  When it was over, Dylan exclaimed, “That’s it?  It’s over?  The prayers worked!”

Don’t you just love that story?  I do. I printed all of those prayers from my friends. We still look at them today. They are Dylan’s (and mine) reminder that God is faithful.

I know many of you (me included) have experienced or are experiencing circumstances that leave you distraught, afraid, or uneasy. Life is hard and often our only real choice is to trust God with all our heart and rely on Him. That alone is enough and I pray that you believe and trust in that. God is enough.

In honor of Dylan’s 13th birthday, if you leave a comment, I will pray Dylan’s verses for you by name today.  Have a great day and thanks again for stopping by.  Love and blessings!  <3

Comments

1. At first I thought, I don’t question if He’s enough. I question myself. Am I worth God being enough for me? Am I strong enough? Am I brave enough to trust Him to be enough? Then I realized they are all the same question. If I believe He’s enough, then He is enough to overcome me. — “Lord I believe, help my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24)

2. pauline says:

Thank you, Melissa, thank you! I have asked myself this so much, and often in an accusatory way–meaning I tend to think I go through some of the hassles I do–esp in relationships–because He isn’t enough for me. But, when I stop and analyze this question in my life, I know that if all else would be taken from me, I would not give up because I DO have God!

3. I have tears in my eyes!!!!
    God’s word is amazing!!
    What a great story and what a special boy. I love it!!
    I had anxiety for the first time in my life about a year ago, at the end of my pregnancy and it lingered for several months. I still find myself fighting it almost daily. It was a truly spiritual battle for me–and, like you describe, a chance to decide if God is enough.
    He is and He is good. all the time!!
    Thanks this post and the prayer!!!

4. Melissa,

Thank you for sharing yourself with others. It always helps to know that others are thinking or wondering about the same things. Just one word, phrase or idea can help me get back on track if I’ve been sidetracked. This is my first visit to Encouragement for Today and I am glad I found your “Is God Enough?” which brought me to your blog/web site.
    My family needs a prayer that will help strengthen family connections and enhance our bond through communication. We need God’s support to give us courage to put ourselves in a position that might not be comfortable, at first, but could have positive results in the end. Dear God, Take away my communication apprehension!

To you, Melissa, I ask God to help you with your situation that made you feel a need to ask that question once again. I also thank you for adding Dylan’s Versus link.

(God, Thank you for answering my prayer when I went up to check the name of the link and accidently clicked it, I was able to come back to my post, and it was still here!)

5. Thanks for sharing this story…I love the ways kids show us the things we seem to have forgotten on our way to adulthood!
    I also have a high-anxiety 13 year old…and he is frequently heard repeating to himself “God watches over you” :). I remember how relieved he was as a young child when he learned that God never sleeps, but always keeps watch!
    How I need that reassurance in the face of staggering losses and deep wounds.
    Happy Birthday to Dylan!

6. shannon says:

Thanks for sharing your story..my son suffers from ocd, he is 10 years
    old, his started when he had just turned 9. I understand what you have gone through, some of the things you shared are also the same things Jake experienced. During this time I my heart cried out to God and what I learned was, God is enough.
    Thank you for sharing your devotional today.

7. Christy says:

Thanks for sharing your heart, Melissa! After reading about Dylan’s diagnosis, I’ve come to realize that I MYSELF may have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. All my life I’ve worried about things so much so that I have trouble sleeping/keeping emotions in check. I am a strong believer in Christ and I do pray for His strength to rule and reign over me. But a year and a half ago, my worst fears came true and I found out my husband of 13 years was having an affair and wanted out of our marriage. We have 3 young children together and my step son, too. My worries are always for the children and myself. How will we make ends meet, when will the pain in my broken heart go away. What about my children’s broken hearts? Is God really enough to get us all through this???? Mentally, I know He is, but it’s so hard to believe and trust day to day.
    Thank you for the verses and for reminding me that I can claim those verses daily if I need to! I don’t know when I’ll feel like a normal person again. I’ve lost so much sleep due to worrying etc. I sure hope there’s a Dr. out there who can help me!
    Sincerely,
    Christy

8. Marilyn says:

Sometimes God lets us go through tough times so that we can realize that “God is enough” Today is my birthday also, After being without Health care for over 2 years I am now covered by Medicare. Yes God is enough as He kept me out of the hospital and in fairly good health (I am a diabetic) these last 2 years. Plus I also got to know Him a lot better by being so dependent on Him Thanks for sharing. Marilyn

9. Geralynn Baxter says:

That is an amazing and touching story. The faith of your boy when he was 9 years old is tremendous.

I look forward to these devotions everyday.

Thanks!

10. Thank you. I didn’t want to read the P31 entry today b/c I was feeling overwhelmed. But I read it. And I needed it. It didn’t make me cry. Then I came here from there and I am bawling like a big ole baby b/c I am overwhelmed with all the learning and work of coping with a child in counseling for…anxiety and OCD. Mine’s seven. Our story is a bit different, but in so many ways also the same. So you understand. Thank you.

11. Dear Melissa,
    I really needed to read your devotion and your post today. Both of them were extremely timely for me. I love Dylan’s testimony of strength through intercession. My youngest is really struggling. He is going into the Navy soon. He doesn’t have a relationship with Jesus … though he was tender as could be toward the Lord at one time. The thief has showed up to steal from our family once again. Please pray for revival in my son’s heart. His name is Josiah. He is such an awesome young man … one who needs Jesus.
    Thank you SOOOO much for sharing your heart with us today.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

12. Kate S. says:

What a beautiful story! You do indeed have a very sweet, wonderful child. Wish Dylan a happy birthday!

13. Geralyn says:

Happy Birthday, Dylan! I have tears of joy in my eyes because of your faith!
    I appreciate the prayers, too, Melissa. I truly need them now and like Dylan,
    I will expect them to work!

14. Thank you Melissa for encouraging my heart today with Dylan’s testimony. What a mighty God we serve!!! Happy Birthday to Dylan and blessings to you. Debbie

15. Adrienne says:

I came over from the devotional today and wanted to say that I enjoyed it. Happy Birthday to Dylan and that was a great post!

16. Amazing story. Thanks, Melissa and Dylan for the gentle reminder that WITH CHRIST, we have all we need……….awesome. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Happy Birthday, Dylan. Best ~ K

17. Thank you so much for sharing your devotion today. I’ve been struggling with some parenting challenges and have failed in my own strength. I never even asked myself the question “is God enough.” I’ve been in tears because I feel like a failure sometimes with my kids, but if I give it over to Jesus he will carry it for me. Thank you for reminding me to turn to the Lord in ALL things.

18. I enjoyed reading your post and the story of your wonderful son, I can identified… I used to worry and get anxious sometime a little to much.
    By the Grace of God I have learned to trust Him and Let Go.
    Here is a wonderful prayer by St. Teresa of Avila, that have helped me a lot. This prayer is so simple yet meaningful. It strengthens me, removes all my fears and calms my inner most worries.

Let nothing disturb thee;
    Let nothing dismay thee:
    All thing pass;
    God never changes.
    Patience attains
    All that it strives for.
    He who has God
    Finds he lacks nothing:
    God alone suffices.

19. Lindsay says:

I suffer from anxiety myself, and that is one of my favourite Bible verses :) Thanks for sharing! Happy Birthday, Dylan!

20. Michele Beim says:

Thanks for responding to our LORD to help others…..and boy did your devotion today help me………it touched my heart sooo….I’ve been waiting to hear from HIM and of course I have through your devotion…..my prayers are many….please pray for my husband, two boys 19 & 18 and my daughter 10 to open their hearts to our LORD, to know HIM beyond all understanding…..thank you…..and oh, by the way Proverbs 3:5-6 is my favorite and first verse I ever memorized….

21. What a great story..so glad that I stopped by late tonight….Happy Fourth to one of my favorite bloggers…Have a giveaway on my holiday blog…

22. naomi g tangonan says:

i am so touched by your devotion God is Enough, exactly what i needed because my mother is in hospital for 5 days now…we (my family & i) are running short of provisions but we continue to trust the good Lord for His graces & mercies. i pray dylan will grow up a solid Christian man w/ nothing to fear in this world because Christ Jesus is in him & w/ him…plus a bonus, his mom! God bless.

23. Very touching. My life is a mess right now between my family, unemployment and the fact that I feel like giving up. No matter what I do, it isn’t enough and I am restricted from making a difference in anything. My faith has been shaky at best, although I must say that lately I think that God hears my prayers. I have to believe that God is enough, and that he will carry me through this. Your story has inspired me especially in such tough times (not only for myself, but for others as well). Thanx

24. Carol Bielich says:

Dearest Melissa. My sister who lives in Toronto, (I’m in South Africa) sent me a few messages from this website, and I’m now hooked. Your wonderful words and truthfulness leave me in awe. It brings so much back to me at my ripe age of 60, and sometimes makes me feel like a little girl again. My past comes flooding back – and believe it or not, mainly the good times, and very few ‘not-so-good’ times! I love you for what you’ve had to say to ME this morning. Bless you and your family, and keep up the good work.

25. megbuliofor rhoda says:

thank you so much for sharing. its always encouraging to hear from you. thank God for your praying friends(long for such) and thank God for dylan.God bless. happy birthday dylan.

26. Hi Melissa,
    Thank you for your devotional and openness. What a special son you have and the things God has done. I myself have a lot of anxiety and the verses you wrote are special to me also. Right now my daughter who is married, has 3 young children one with a disability…she has found an high school friend (guy) on one of the social networks and is not sure she is going to stay with her marriage. The problems started before this happened though, I am just so concerned for her and the kids. I am desperately clinging to the Lord. What do people do without Him?! I also have grandsons who are very sensitive who have a lot of anxiety issues, your devotional helped me to think of some ways to talk to them. Thank you.

27. Thank you so much Melissa! Sometimes in this daily life, I feel like
    I am so alone with hurts, emotions, etc….It is comforting to know
    that I am not alone. Is God enough? I am sure it is a question alot of us ask ourselves each week as we try to accomplish yet another week of “life.” I know I do! It has to be a constant reminder some days.
    Please pray for me……I grew up in a very abusive childhood and then in a 22 yr. marriage of about the same.
    I am 45 and now married to a wonderful God driven man (that I have no doubt God put in my life). I love him very much, however, all I have dealt with all my life is abuse(verbal, emotional and sexual), manipulation, lies, etc and that was “my life.”
    Now that I can love, trust, and feel worthy of God’s Love and my husbands love, I don’t know what to do with my emotions, myself etc…..it’s like I don’t know how to “live” at times!
    I have put my wonderful husband of two yrs through alot!!!
    So, needless to say….my emotions, mental state is a wreck right now trying to adjust. Pray that I can allow myself to accept this wonderful love and realize that I don’t have to live in my “past” any longer.
    I will pray for you as well and look forward to your posts daily!

28. All I can say is thank you, Melissa. It is such an honor to call you my friend; every day you impact people for Jesus in such a real way. Love you so!

29. I just wanted to say that your devotional and your message about your son Dylan really touched me this morning. God bless you. I have struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I too, can recall being a little girl who seemed to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders. I too, have been referred to the one with the kind heart who can be a little disorganized and is also easily distracted. Fortunately for me, in my aduthood, I have learned tactics to help me to concentrate better. And God has led me to become a teacher of little ones with special needs, so He has used my abiilty to “multi-task” (what I like call my divide and conquer moments) for His Glory because it gives me the ability to tend to many little needs a time. It has also given me a sense of compassion and patience and understanding for those little ones and their parents. With all that said, every now and then that anxiety comes around and the enemy uses it to try to get the best of me. Specifically when it comes to long term goals in of my heart. I want so desperately to be a wife and a mother. Sometimes this desire gets the better of me and I get plagued by reminders that my biological clock is ticking. I am guilty of being wrapped up in my own plans that I forget that I am not in control. When I stop and look at the wonderful blessings God has provided in my life and how much He has brought me through, it makes me weep because He is faithful and good. Recently I had a revelation that God has to be good enough. He is in control and will see me through every trial. He knows the desires of my heart and I believe he wants to give me those things. He is also there when I my heart is hurting. But no matter what his plan is for my life…HE is enough for me!! The verse you posted Isaiah 46:3b-4 is so relavant! It reminds me to rely on Him for comfort, direction and to sustain me. When I think about your friends praying for your son and his bold display of faith at such a young age really inspires me. Thank you. Happy Birthday Dylan! He sounds like a fine young man. :)

30. Pam Cox says:

Thank you for your devotional today. Thank you for sharing that life is rough and we just have to lean on God. It reminded me that I can’t do this life on my own and that I need HIM.
    Thank you for sharing your heart and your family.

31. Amazing story, amazing child. God is sooooo good! Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. I will pray for Dylan too! It is a pleasure to pray for a child with such a kind heart!! Thank you for your contributions! May God bless you and your family!!

32. Pam Cox says:

Thank you Melissa for the devotional today. Thank you for saying that life is hard and we have to lean upon God. Thank you for sharing your heart with your listeners.

33. Thank you Melissa, for this great devotion. God is big enough to crowd out the negative thoughts the enemy is trying hard to flood my mind with. I am holding tight to that this day. Thank you for this beautiful reminder!

Happy Birthday Dylan!

34. Thank you for the beautiful story…this is my first time here, and i was looking for some peace. I woke up feeling very overwhelmed by life circumstances, and my prayers this morning seemed disconnected. Please pray for me, I know God is enough in my head…it’s my heart that gets weak. My kids and i are separated from my husband of 22 years, and our church is proceeding with discpline on him. Everyday is a walk of faith…sometimes every hour. Thank you again, for sharing…i will be making your blog my homepage!

35. Tami Starr says:

As I read about your precious Dylan the tears just pour out of my eyes and roll down my face. He knows so much already at such a young age. What a blessed gift that is!! He knows who truly takes care of him and who to go to when he just can’t do it on his own. How long it has taken me to find that out…but Praise God, he is faithful and never leaves or forsakes us, even when we aren’t the same. Happy Birthday to Dylan and God bless you and yours.

36. Melissa,

God is enough, but how often do I question myself instead of looking and trusting in God? Too often. Thank you for sharing Dylan’s story. He is a wonderful boy and how blessed you are to have him as your son. How fortunate Dylan is to have parents who love him, love God and have already taught him about trusting in the Lord. I love the idea of a life verse. I need to find one for my girls. I also have a 7 year old that is very sensitive and has anxiety about certain issues. Teaching her to breath deeply and feel the air with her whole body then feel it release and holding her and practicing together has helped her so much. She will pray when a storm is brewing and this helps to calm her, but the life verse, I think that would be good encouragement for her and our other children to have when we cannot be present to help calm the anxiety. And I am pretty sure I need a life verse that can help calm me too! Thank you again and have a wonderful vacation.

37. Thank you for sharing your tender story. Dylan is very special, for sure, and I will pray for him. Happy birthday! I’d like to share my story with you. When I was 18 years old I began to suffer with unreasonable anxiety on a daily basis. It continued for about 3 years, during which time I really drew close to God and spent lots of time in His word looking for an answer. He says, “God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.” Mark 1:8 says that Jesus will baptize us with the Holy Spirit. Jesus spoke of it in John 7:37-39. In Acts chapter 2 it was fulfilled and in verse 39 it is promised for all of us, even today. I asked to be baptized with the Holy Spirit and God answered. All the fear was gone and I felt peace for the first time in 3 years. We all have circumstances that can cause anxiety. Tell Dylan that even King David felt fear but he said, “What time I am afraid I will trust in the Lord.” I’m 55 years old now and when I am anxious I still rely on that Spirit filled power and God brings peace. Thanks again for sharing and for your wonderful blog.

38. Colleen says:

You have caused me to think deeply on this subject, “Is God Enough? I will continue to ponder this in response to my life and my current situation. Thank you for your insight.
    Happy Birthday to your boys, and may God bless your beautiful family! (I’m a mom of four boys! I know how wonderful boys can be and how much they love their mama!:)

39. Kristin says:

Mellisa wow we share some thing in common. I have a 9 year old who was diagnosed last year with generalized anxiety disorder and also sensory intergration disorder. Yes how the world is different for our precious children at times with these struggles. She is my very sensitive, loving, worry about everyone and that they are okay, and God fearing child. She is always asking questions about what God can do for us and for her and this past Easter week she accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior and what a prayer answered that was. Since then she has had such a significant drop in her anxiety and has done things we never thought possible for her. God is most definetly enough. He is my strength when it is an off day for her and my gentle spirit when I need it. Oh how He has shown us all His amazing love. Thank you for writing about your precious son. I hope that he had an awesome birthday.
    Kristin

40. Thank you for such a wonderful post. I have always said worrying is my genetic predisposition. Sometimes I wonder at what moment in my life I listened to Satan (who tells us all no we are not enough for God and God is not enough for us) and started believing his lies and started to doubt these things about our amazing Father God. I mean look at what He did for us! The ultimate gift His son’s blood for our ransom.

I still struggle with wondering how I (we/my family) will get through our crisis de jour. Satan is ALWAYS leaning over my shoulder wispering did God really say He would take care of YOU? Maybe everyone else, but YOU???

41. Hey sweet friend…I know I’m late reading this…but I still wanted to leave my comment. I’m trusting to experience that God Is MORE THAN Enough as I travel down to Virginia on July 27th…the same day my daddy has more surgery! I need to know that God Is MORE THAN Enough for my publisher meetings and speaker evaluation sessions. I need to know that God Is MORE THAN Enough for my travel arrangements down and back.

This morning I read in “Jesus Lives”, “Although your future stretches all the way into eternity, there is not even one second when I will be absent from you.” “I am well aware of your fearful tendencies, and I long to help you break free from them. Most of your fear stems from pondering bad things that could happen – leaving Me out of that imaginary scenario. This is a very harmful practice; it is also an exercise in unreality.” “Whenever your mind wanders into the future, make the effort to include Me in that imagery. See Me helping you, strengthening you, encouraging you. Instead of being intimidated by tough times ahead, view them as adventures that you and I together can handle. If fearful thoughts start closing in on you, push back the darkness with a shout of ‘Victory!’ – confident in the Victorious One who will never leave you or forsake you.” ” So be strong and courageous; do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will never fail you nor abandon you.” ~Deuteronomy 31:6

What wonderful promises to claim and know that God Is MORE THAN Enough!
    Love ya Melissa!
    Hope you’re enjoying your holiday!
    Hugs,
    Joy

42. Melissa,
    Thank you soo much for your post, I so enjoyed reading it and it has given me a new look on things. I now look at it knowing that Yes my God is enough and He will always be there but also reminded me that in His eyes I am also enough for Him too and even though I fail daily (more than once too) He still loves me and will always be enough.
    Thank you for sharing Dylan’s story, how amazing a young persons testimony is….it reminds me of the testimony given in the book Rachel’s tears. Not the same testimony per say but just the fact that there are young people that can teach us alot about God’s Love for us. If you have not read the book I encourage it. Thank you again and God Bless You and your family.
    Happy Birthday Dylan!! :-)