Oct 20

Living in the Light and a Giveaway

Do you remember the last time you were in the dark?  I’m not talking about not having enough light to see, I’m talking about having no light whatsoever.  For me, the last time was really in the dark was during hurricane Wilma in 2005.  If you have never been through a hurricane, it can be a very scary, experience and for me, Wilma was my first hurricane.  Lucky for me…she had been the worst one to blow through South Florida since Andrew.

To prepare for a hurricane, you put these very heavy metal shutters over every door and window of your entire home.  These shutters worked very well to protect your home from high winds and flying debris, but they were also excellent at blocking out every bit of light.  Let me tell you, when you lose power and you have those shutters up, it is pitch black…you feel like you are inside a cave, completely engulfed in the blackness.  You try to see your hands, but even though you know they’re in front of your face, you just can’t see them at all.  You keep expecting your eyes to adjust to the darkness, but there just isn’t any light for them to absorb.  It’s a surreal experience and a bit frightening too.  Then someone finds the flashlight or lights a candle and the room seems to flood with its light.  It may take a few moments for your eyes to adjust, but once they focus, you can see everything and go about your business.  You take that light with you everywhere; you can’t leave it in the kitchen and expect it to reach the hallway.  Wherever you bring it, you also much make sure that you don’t put anything in front of the light that would block it from illuminating the room; that light becomes your priority.

I know it makes easy sense when we talk about a literal light, but what does this have to do with our confidence?  How is light going to make things better?  We know the Light Renee refers to is Christ, “the light of the world” {John8:12}, but how does it work, what exactly is the light illuminating?  After all, we don’t turn on a light unless there is something we need to see clearly.

Jesus met many men and women who were filled with doubts, but Jesus didn’t point to them and give them instant confidence and take away all of their feelings of doubt and insecurity.  Even if He had alleviated those feelings, they would eventually return.  As creatures of habit, we begin doubting again because we rely on ourselves to be our source of confidence.  Instead, Jesus illuminates for us the true source of all confidence which has the power to dispel our doubts.  Throughout scripture, we are reminded again and again how God uses the imperfect, the sinful, the rebellious, the hot headed, the weak, and everyone else in-between to further His kingdom.

• Moses had an issue with stuttering, but God still used him to free the Israelites; letting Aaron do the talking. Exodus 4
  • Rahab was a prostitute who hid Joshua’s two spies because she had heard of God’s mighty strength. Joshua 2
  • Esther approached the king in order to save the people of Israel from annihilation, an action that could’ve easily ended in her death. Esther 4
  • David fought Goliath, not because he thought he was a great warrior, but because he had faith in God’s strength and power. I Samuel 17
  • David also had a weakness for women and murdered Bathsheba’s husband to hide the fact he had gotten her pregnant; yet, David is still called a man after God’s own heart because he repented and returned to the Lord. II Samuel 11-12
  • Peter was known to speak and act without thinking…cutting off a man’s ear when he tried to arrest Jesus, but he also walked on water trusting that if Christ said he could, then he would.  John 18 & Matthew 14
  • Paul was on his way to Damascus to arrest any followers of Jesus he found there and drag them back to Jerusalem for trial and perhaps execution, but God saw fit to use Paul to reach countless people for Christ. Acts 9

Getting the idea here?  God used each of them, not because of how confident, powerful, or talented they were, but because of what He chose to do through them.  When we focus on what God says we can do, there is nothing that is off limits, we can do all things through Him, because He is our strength; Philippians 4:13.  Now we’re back to…how.  Do you remember what I said earlier about taking the light with you, what Renee wrote in Chapter 3 about when/then statements (pg 60), or what Stephanie encouraged us in her post yesterday?  In order to dispel our feelings of doubt and insecurity, we have to shine the light of Truth found in God’s Word and watch those feelings scatter at the name of Jesus.  We have to do this on a daily basis, taking that Truth with us everywhere we go, we can’t leave it behind and expect it to help.

Here is your task, if you haven’t already, answer question 3 on page 94.  Once you have done this, seek His Word, ask Him to share with you a verse to replace those lies of doubt with His Truth; Philippians 4:13 would be a good place to start.  Then, write that Truth on an index card and keep it with you, say it out loud anytime that doubt starts hissing in your ear. Personalize the verse by inserting your name, rewrite the verse as a prayer, and completely immerse yourself in His Truth.  If you need a little help in doing that, I hope this post about Praying Back God’s Word will get you going in the right direction.

In the mean time, share with us how you are keeping God’s Truth a priority in your life.  If you leave a comment by midnight tonight {Thursday the 20th} you will be entered to win a year’s subscription to the Proverbs 31 Magazine!  If you haven’t already, be sure to send any prayer requests to Christi Wilson.

Comments

1. Charlotte Askew says:

Wow, this post blew me away. I love the way you used actual events to get the lesson across. You rocked this blog post Heather.

2. Shannon Carpenter says:

I keep God a priority in my life by having daily quiet prayer time each morning on my way to work.

3. Thank you for this post. I’ve been convicted lately about making this more of a priority…life seems to be so busy right now! And discouraging…but enough of that! I’ve been following this simple devotional that I read in between “stolen moments.” Thanks for the reminder tonight of what is really important!

4. Carol Bruntlett says:

Yesterday as I was driving to work I was thinking about God peace because I had read it in a devotional that morning even though my mind wanted to go else where I prayed that God peace would be with me and all my sista’s here in this study.
    The scripture verse that I have to repeat often is Philppians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition present your requests to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Carol

5. After going through a severe depression this summer I withdrew into myself and away from God and things got worse for me. I then realized what I was doing and turned my focus back to God and asked for forgiveness. I have learned that I cannot do this on my own.

6. This week has been rough but good. God has opened my eyes to so many things. After battling anxiety and depression this past year, I have clinged to Philippians 4:6-7. When I first began having the anxiety/panic attacks a year ago I did a study on Philippians by Oliver Greene and God showed me so much. He used it to bring me back to Him. Now, whenever I feel the stress and panic I go to my verse and praise God that He will take away those anxieties when I call on Him and comfort me with His peace.

7. I keep God a priority in my life today because I see HIS love for me is so undeserved, but GOD sent HIS one and only Son to die for me. HE would have done that if I was the only one on the earth too. I am so excited to see how HE uses all the pieces of Stacey’s life to further HIS kingdom!! I owe every single thing I got to HIM!! I am a HEIR to the King, I will be in Heaven one day walking on streets of Gold, there will be no sickness, no pain for eternity. If I live until I am 200 I could never even began to do enough for HIM to earn me a place in Heaven. I am forever thankful and grateful to HIM!!

8. Christine says:

I try to keep God’s truth a priority by praying often, all day. I normally use just conversation with God, nothing fancy. A verse I love to help me remember is:” I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” John 15:11 (NIV) Helps me to remember where my joy comes from.

9. I keep God’s truth a priority in my life by reading his word morning, noon and… well, I’m working on the night part. My great grandmother was a great example of keeping God’s truth a priority. She actually prayed morning, noon and night. Three times a day… she never missed a spiritual meal:).

10. Pamela Vandervoort says:

I pray God’s word daily & speak Bible verses that declare who I am in Christ, how God sees me, & God’s promises. I thank Him & praise Him for I am nothing w/o Him, but I can do all things through Him,

11. Shawnia Holler says:

WOW! Thank you so much for todays post! I pray everyday to be a light to the world and Salt to thee earth. I know ” I can do all things through Christ who stregthens me”. I am so grateful for God comfort and peace. May God bless each of you. Love Shawnia. Phil.4:13

12. I keep God a priority in my life daily by holding my actions,opinions and attitudes up to the question, “What would Jesus do?” I don’t always pass the test but it keeps God’s standards ever present in my mind. Before long, my mind is anticipating what Jesus would do and His presence is with me becoming a priority in my life.

13. daily reading and recently just covering the house in scripture (index cards). Trying to be intentional in seeing God in everything. thank you for your post!

14. I love copying scripture onto index cards and putting them up in my bathroom. I read them as I get ready in the morning and it really helps solidify God’s word in my heart.

15. Lisa Lagalo says:

I usually journal my verses and date them. Once I get to work I write the verse on my outlook calender and set it up to remind me every 2 hours for that day or maybe a few just depends on what I need. The reminders are consistant and before long I have it in my head. Sometimes I will even text my verse to a friend or two this also helps me to remember as well as encouraging others along the way.

16. I have been making it a priority to hide God’s Word in my heart for the past 4 years and I’ve seen the difference this had made in my life. Earlier tonight while talking with my teenage son about something that had happened years ago, I was able to speak God’s Word into his life and later saw through his Facebook comment that it had made an impact.We cannot give to others what we don’t have, that’s why memorizing Scripture is so important. Not just for us but for those God places in our path.

17. When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

18. Olayinka Okunola says:

Hi ladies,

I live in Lagos Nigeria with such mad traffic – I have to leave home by 5am and most times don’t get home till 8pm. I ensure that I and my husband pray and read the bible before we live for work, we download preaching esp. Joel Osteen every week and listen to it on the road. When I am at work I get ‘encouragement for today’, ‘love worth finding’, ‘Streams in the Desert’, Today’s word with Joel and Victoria Osteen, 365 Active word devotional written by Pastor Bob Coy and most recently Sheri Rose’s Princess Love Letter all into my mail box. I love the way they come in at different times in the day so once i get the alert, it is an oppurtunity to read the word of God and get encouraged. This really helps me a lot because I find it hard to get time to read His word except in the mornings.
    On weekends, is when I get to do my homework….bible study and just soak in all I have learnt during the week. I am also very mobile as I am in Marketing Dept.,I am with my blackberry and my galaxy tab (that’s where my confident heart book is) I can read the scriptures on the road, in waiting rooms and I have the remember me scripture memory verse app. to help with my memory verses.
    Wow! Yeah I know….*smiles*
    I just love reading the bible, I love listening to it (loads of MP3 bible downloads), I love getting mails that remind me who I am in Christ! I love the Word of God….it is my light!
    Thanks for the post Heather! I am loving this study!

Best regards,
    Olayinka

• Olayinka Okunola says:

I got the scare of my life yesterday night when I discovered that I forgot my galaxy tab in the office, I was so scared that i will not be able to continue this study without my confident heart on it…..but glory to God, one of my colleagues saw it and kept it for me… Praise God for His goodness!

19. I am more aware of what I do during the day & try to make sure I am doing what God wants me to be doing, saying, teaching & what ever he feels the needs are for me. I love knowing that I have God in my life as my personal savior now & forever. Thank you Melissa for this online study, it is making me a better person & a more confident women.