Nov 14

A Confident Heart~Week 9

This week’s lesson will be a challenge for me.

When Doubt Whispers, “I Can’t Stop Worrying.”

Actually it seems like every week it’s a challenge! This is another amazing lesson and I’m not going to waste words here. Let’s just get to it!

Words of the Week:

Peace

It’s an amazing thing that happens if we will only give our worries to God and allow Him to handle them…peace can be ours.

Trust

It’s hard to worry when you are truly trusting God.

Verses of the Week:

(If you can just pick one of the these to memorize, that will be good enough…I don’t want anyone to panic…or worry…lol)

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which will exceed anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7  (NLT)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6  (NLT)

Suggested Assignments:

You probably have picked up on the pattern we typically follow…

Monday– Read Chapter 9.

Monday– Conference Call #4, “I’ve Blown It” , Special Guest, Author Renee Swope

Tuesday– Read Chapter 9 again, taking notes and highlighting in your book. Use your Bible to look up the verses mentioned in Chapter 9.

Wednesday– Complete Reflection and Discussion Questions #1-4 on p. 179.

Thursday– Complete Reflection and Discussion Questions #5-7 on p. 179.

Friday– Hopefully a Vlog.  To view last week’s vlogs, which were for your entertainment only (I promise there is not one bit of educational or spiritual value in either of these), see below. If you have trouble viewing them, visit my blog directly here.

Love you my sweet study friends! I’m praying for you!

I warned you ahead of time. We just got a little crazy…sometimes you just have to! If you are interested in viewing any of our bloopers, I’ll spare you here, but you can visit my you tube page

Comments

1. I think I laughed so hard I tinkled…y’all are WAY too funny!! You should post the Just Dance vids too, LOL!

Loving this chapter, it just keeps getting better and better!

<3 Heather

2. Anne Maxon says:

Melissa–it’s Anne here
    Think this will be a challenge to me too!! thank also for the words of the week.
    Can’t thank you enough& Praise to Our Lord!
    Cute vlog!!!!
    Will get back to you

3. Carol Bruntlett says:

Hi Melissa
    You make me laugh I wish I would have been there You almost made me spit my water out as I was drinking it. You all bless my heart , it was a joy to speak with you this morning and to pray with you . You are awesome Melissa and thanks for all you do.
    Carol
    P.s. those 2 verses you posted those are scripture verses I memorized this yr on the scripture verse blog with Beth moore how cool is that.

4. I love how you inserted some Sanguine into our study. Thank you, it made waiting for the Vlog that much more special!

As I read this week’s chapter, figuring reading was probably a part of today’s assignment, I wondered how the week’s assignments would play out. I also tried to decide what I would have defined for the words of the week, if I were in your place. PEACE shone strong along with Philippians 4:6-7. Other words which I considered were trust, strength and comfort. How wonderful that TRUST supplements our ability to have PEACE! Love Proverbs 3:5-6.

This week’s topic is very timely as I have a great need to let go of some significant worries I have, so I can better focus on loving God and loving others.

I like the acronym: Worry Only Robs Rest from You (WORRY):
    Physically it exhausting
    Emotionally causes anxiety
    Mentally scatters us
    Spiritually depleting

I look forward to learning to become less WORRYsome this week!

5. Kimberly P says:

Too cute! And not being sanguine, I too appreciate the sanguineicity (did I just make up a word? Oh, I hope so!).

Chapter 8 was a breakthrough chapter for me and over and over it’s clear that hearing the Word and APPLYING it makes me free. The timing of chapter 9 is just perfect! Just this morning, I worried myself sick over something. It was disappointing, but the words of our first memorized Scripture arrived on scene…”So do not throw away your confidence…”

I have to remind myself that this walk of faith is not a self-improvement course, it’s life with a living Savior. His grace saved me. His grace sustains me.

In Jesus’ love and mine,
    Kimberly

6. Love the vlogs!!!! Especially the song!!!! Outstanding!!!! You made me smile!!

7. Joan Vanterpool says:

I loved the vlogs, very entertaining. it made me smile, and during a time where I need it. there are a lot of things going on in my life and worry is a BIG part of it, so this chapter, I feel, will be great. I know I have to let go quite a bit in my life, that I have no control over it and I can’t change people and/or certain situations, so I will try very hard to take this chapter to heart. I think I was born to worry. that’s just my nature. I worry about everything and it’s all building up in me now. I know I have to let go and let God. thank you again for 11-11-11 at 11:11!!!! it made me smile. keep doing what you’re doing Melissa. We all love you! Aloha!

8. Michele Caséca says:

You are beautiful crazy ladies! Hahhahha! I had so much fun watching you girls!
    Thank you for taking the courage to do this. It really made my evening!

How can I thank you enough for this Bible Study, Melissa? It just gets better everyday!

Love you Mel,

Michele

9. Olayinka Okunola says:

So funny, laughing through tears. My God is on the throne.

10. Laughter is so good for the soul…. thank you for the reminder that we need to be silly more often!! I get so caught up in the expectations I feel that others have on me to be sensible, be responsible, and to have it all together. I hope it felt GREAT for you ladies to just let loose and have fun. It was great to watch it and so worth the joy it brought to our hearts. Again, you remind us to just be real. I love this study and getting to know everyone through these posts. You all have inspired me to keep seeking the Word of our Lord and Savior. I have been so exhausted as I wrap up this final term at school. Today was one of those days that I had nothing to give and yet a responsibility to do so. He carried me through. Oh, the love I felt from Him today was simply AMAZING. Praise God for His love!!!!. Praise God for the journey through this study!!! Praise God for all the wonderful women reaching out to one another!!! Amen

11. This chapter comes in HIS PERFECT TIMING! have been having trouble with stopping the wheels from turning in my head 24/7. I don’t truly feel stressed or like I’m going to have an anxiety attack or anything – I just can’t shut the wheels off to get some much needed PEACE and QUIET – so yes, I guess I am stressed! I’m traveling for work today from SC to Louisiana – which means quiet plane time (I hope!), definitely quiet hotel time….the majority of it to be spent with my Lord – cause only he can truly stop the wheels.

12. Like so many of you, this study AIN’T been easy for me! And this Chapter came right on time. God has been telling me for the past couple of weeks that the only way that I will have PEACE is to TRUST HIM. They go hand in hand.

And the vlog came right on time, too! One of my devotions yesterday was on laughter. Here is an excert – God must have known our spirits would need recharging on a regular basis. In addition to time with Him and the companionship of friends, He has provided us with the release that comes from laughter bubbling up from our spirits. God says, “A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.” Proverbs 17:22

13. As always, Melissa, thanks for the laughter. I’m so thankful that we can laugh even when we are going through something. Thank you, thank you, thank you. May God continue to bless you and the team.

Love,
    Michelle

14. Absolutly loved the Vblog. They all made me laugh out load.

15. Worry is my middle name. I so relate to Renee when she says her memory was disappearing. I feel the same. I feel like my dyslexia is getting worse. I’ve never been formally diagnosed but I swear I have it. I don’t know how many times in the past few months I’ve started out spelling a word with the last letter. I really do have a hard time trusting God. I too seem to think that if I don’t worry that God will forget about my problems and not do anything so I need to constantly think about the problem and worry. I feel like I need to be “God’s assistant” and remind Him of His to-do list, not just everyday, but every minute.. LOL…

Today I am worrying about my car. I was in an accident over a week ago. The insurance company totaled my car so now I am worrying about what I should do. How am I going to find as good a car as what I had?

I worry over my brother and his situation. I worry about my health and how am I going to be able to accomplish God’s calling on my life and support myself when I have no energy and I can’t sleep well at night.

I am constantly fighting with myself to remind my heart that God is good.

Oh for grace to trust Jesus more.

I love the poem by Annie Johnston Flint. I believe that was her name.

“He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater;
    He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
    To added affliction, He addeth His mercy;
    To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
    When our strength has failed ere the day is half done;
    When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
    Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
    Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
    Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
    the Father both thee and they load will upbear.

His love has no limit; His grace has no measure.
    His pow’r has no boundary known unto men;
    For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
    He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again!”

16. Finally got a chance to check out your 11:11 on 11/11/11 vlog. . . what a HOOT!!
    Thanks for the laugh and for your willingness to be silly. I REALLY needed this after what’s been happening here the past 24 hours. . . God’s timing is so amazing. I have been plugging away at this weeks reading and boy oh boy, it speaks volumes to me, about me! Part of my problem this past 24 hours has been worrying about the next 24. What a vicious cycle that becomes. I am looking forward to the rest of the chapter and all that God has in store for us this week.

17. This week’s study seems like it was written directly to me. I posted a blog about some of the things I have learned from this Confident Heart study. It’s about having the courage to try because we know that God does not punish us for our mistakes.

18. I loved the videos! They brought a great big smile to my face this morning. That’s some funny stuff. You all look like you have so much fun together while you’re working. That’s so great!

19. Prayer request:
    Hey girls, I have found myself in a “worry” frenzy this week, with the sudden need to replace a vehicle that was wrecked last week. . . not exactly perfect timing for us financially. We must make a decision SOON, as it is very difficult running a busy household with only one vehicle. I just need someone to pray with me for God’s direction and PEACE to go with the decision. I know that we have some prayer warriors among our study, so I am coming to you, my sisters in Christ. Thanks and I will let you all know how God sees fit to answer this need.

20. I’m not posting anything of my own here right now. I just wanted to share a portion of something I read this morning. I think it fits in with this chapter.

“What competing voices vex your mind and emotions? Is it a voice of fear from within, a voice of criticism from without or a voice of disbelief from below? Indeed, it is the voice of assurance and affirmation from above that provides everyday encouragement to your life. The voice of the Lord vows to be your delight and bold advocate. So, listen intently to the one voice that is guaranteed to give you life and hope.” Boyd Bailey

I’m still plugging through Chapter 6, but I’m okay with that. I’m learning not to beat myself up when I don’t live up to my own expectations; I actually gave up worrying too much about others’ expecatations a while ago. Whether or not that’s the healthiest way to live, it sure lightened my load. I just try to do the right thing, the right way, for the right Person; that’s the ultimate goal, isn’t it?

21. nancys1128 says:

I just read this piece by Lisa Whittle. While it’s about labels, not doubt, sometimes our labels can be the source of our doubts, or vice versa. I hope it’s alright that I’m sharing the link. I’ll apologize and ask forgiveness now if I should have gotten permission first. http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011/11/labels.html