Mar 11

Feelings of Fear

There are so many verses in the Bible on fear.  I kind of think that God wouldn’t have put so many in there, if He didn’t think we’d need them. Fear is a natural feeling that requires a supernatural response if we are to get past it and move on living life fully. God tells us many times in the scriptures to “Have no fear” and “Do not be afraid.”  God says it, but can we really walk through life without fear?

Well let’s just be honest here, it’s not easy. Fear can be strong, brutal, and paralyzing. Fear can blur our future and keep us from our dreams. We want to trust God, but how?

We can’t eliminate what we feel when we face tough circumstances and situations in life. But we can fight the fear, talk to God about it, and live in His strength and not try to handle it alone.  We can cry out to God, meditate on His Word, choose to believe that He will get us through. We may still be on shaky ground, but we know God is capable of giving strength and a calm presence to our anxious hearts. We have to take action when we are afraid. We have a choice. We can freak out and give up on life or we can decide to believe what God says, take His hand, and trust Him. It might not be easy, but it’s possible.

If you have ever struggled with fear or anxiety, or if you are looking to increase your faith in God and His Word, I invite you to join me in my next Online Bible Study beginning March 25th.

All you need to participate is the book, An Untroubled Heart, by Micca Campbell. You can order it here or find it at almost any online book store or order it from a local bookstore.  Sign up for the study in the right hand column of my blog.

There are going to be many more give aways this week of our book and the conference call series, as well as a few more surprises on the way to kick off the beginning of our next study.

Congrats to Abby, Doreen, and Cynthia. You won An Untroubled Heart.  I notified you by email. Thanks for your comments on the last blogpost!

Do you have a favorite verse about fear?  If so share it with me and all of our readers in the online community today in the comment section.

Ok that’s all for today!  Blessings and Fear not ladies! We don’t have to, we have a God that is bigger than all our feelings of fear. Those feelings are fickle and can change. God will NEVER CHANGE.  Amen!

Comments

1. Christine says:

This is one of my new favorite verses.

Isaiah 41:13 NIV
    For I am the LORD, your God,
    who takes hold of your right hand
    and says to you, Do not fear;
    I will help you.

Could it be any clearer or easier than that!

2. When I am afraid, I will trust in you. 4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:3-4

3. Hilda Quintanilla says:

By far my favorite verse when I am in fear…”You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4 NKJV)”

4. Patricia Weatherford says:

Psalm 27….verse 1
    The Lord is my Light and my Salvation…..whom shall I Fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life….of whom shall I be afraid? from the Amplified Bible

5. Way to go! That was very inspiring and it is true that we let fear lead us. Lately, this verse from Isaiah 40:31 has been an inspiration to me with many changes happening in my life and it helps me keep hope in the fact that God is in control.
    but those who hop in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
    Let’s soar with the eagles and let the current of God’s love and peace carry us through those times of fear and confusion. Melissa, you have a gift!

• 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” LULNMW

6. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”– 2 Timothy 1:7

7. Fannie in Kansas says:

Psalm 23:4–”Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid for you are close to me.”

8. I got so excited this morning when I found Micca’s book! I wasn’t sure where I had placed it, with family moving into the house. PTL! I can participate in this study with you all.

Like two others have already said, 2 Timothy 1:7 is one my favorites!
    To think the same power that raised Christ from the dead lives inside us! That fuses me with strength!

9. Carol Bruntlett says:

Hi Melissa
    I know in the bible God has mention do not be afraid it is written 365 times one for each day of the year , so I feel like He wants to not be afraid for I am with you, but I still have that tendency to be afraid or fearful espically when I get called into an interview or have to talk to the boss about something. I just wish that I would allow God to just completely take control of my life I know I say okay Lord I am not going to be fearful or worry and what do I do I take it right back and try to control it. I have a few verses that are my favorite Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you Be strong nd courageous Do not be terrified or discouraged for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Phillippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds n Christ Jesus.
    Carol

10. 2 Timothy 1:7—-For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love and self discipline.

11. 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” This verse goes through my mind more times than any other on many days. Thank you Jesus for Your strength!

12. Melanie Shannon says:

I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13. In the amplified bible it is says Christ “empowers” me. We got His power! The power of a God who can move mountains just by speaking!

13. Isaiah 41:13 NIV
    For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand
    and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
    I like this one. Now I need to always remember it.

14. hollywood says:

I’m a survivor, and this is a passage God gave me that brought me through many years of church abuse. Most recently has also inspired me and brought me through a life saving procedure. Although my body doesn’t work like it used to, and everyday is a challenge.

I stand here, Healed and Saved!!!! Literally and Spiritually.

There’s nothing too big for our God. No abuse, no deathdefying surgery, no mountain to high, no wave to huge for our God. Not one thing!

When I’m afraid this is the verse I sing:
    “Don’t be afraid, don’t be afraid, for the battle is not yours but its Gods.”

2 Chronicles 20:15-18
    15 He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. 16 Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel. 17 You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.’ “

15. Patricia says:

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

My rock…my favorite verse. Through all the years raising our children, homeschooling and now empty nesting alone with my husband, this is the verse that sustains me.

16. -This scripture reminded me today to “dwell in the land” and not let fear or anxieties take me outside of His pastures. :)

Psalm 37:3-4

3 TRUST IN THE LORD, and do good;
    Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
    4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
    And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

17. veronica says:

In this broken world it seems impossible to avoid fear..regardlesss of how much faith we have in God. Psalms 56:3-4 When i am afraid o Lord i put my trust in you.I trusr in God and amnt afraid..I praise Him for has promised,what can mere man do to me? I feel so reassured that though its tough.thing bt sorrows God is with me.

18. Whenever I am afraid.
    I will trust in You.
    Psalm 56:3

19. Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I say these two verses over and over when fear creeps in to try and overtake my mind. Jesus is always with me and he never leaves me. I just need to recognize his presence.

20. Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

21. Wow!!! I can’t tell you how much these comments have spoken to me this morning!!! Thank you all!! (I guess there is a reason I chimed in a couple of days after the original posting!!) This is one of my goals for 2012 to climb out from under the heavy burden of fear and anxiety. So excited for this study. I know God put it across my path!!

I focus on several of the verses above when I’m feeling fearful. One that I just read this morning is one I lean on also. Psalm 46:10 – Be still, and know that I am God. In the study notes of my Bible it says, “This twin command to not panic and to recognize His sovereignty…” The don’t panic really speaks to me!!

Thanks again for sharing everyone — really needed that this morning!!