Mar 24

An Untroubled Heart~Week 1

Welcome to our 6th Online Bible study here on this blog! I am beyond thrilled that you are joining me, the Online Bible Studies Team, Proverbs 31 Ministries, and 2,600 others from all over the world on this journey to find a faith that is stronger than all our fears.

Before we get started, I’d like to encourage you to join me in a challenge. It is my prayer that all of us would begin this study actually believing that God can work powerfully in each of our lives. Change is possible. Living without fear is possible. Being cared for completely by our Heavenly Father is possible. There is only one thing that could keep these things from happening and that would be our own lack of faith and belief. So, let’s take a risk here. Let’s actually begin this study believing big things for our lives through God and this Bible study.  Are you with me?  If so, I want you to shout it to the world. Give a big cyber shout in the comment section of my blog today announcing that you believe and have the faith that God is going to accomplish great things in you during this Bible study. Even if you do it with a shaky voice and a bit of uncertainty make the choice to try. Will you join me? Here’s my shout out:

I can’t wait to read yours!

Now, on to Week 1 of An Untroubled Heart.

Here’s what you will  need:  (for those of you who receive this through your email and can’t see the picture below, visit my blog here)

Bible; notebook or journal to record your thoughts, verses, and Bible study questions & answers; a copy or digital version of the book An Untroubled Heart by Micca Campbell; computer with internet access so you can visit my blog daily and visit with our Online Bible Study Community; and a cup of coffee (optional…well maybe for you, necessary for me!).  Go ahead and get these ready today so you’ll be ready for your first assignment tomorrow!

Words of the Week:

Usually we just have one word of focus for the week, but this week, we have three…all taken from our memory verse of the week (below).

Power~Love~Self-Discipline

Memory Verse:

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.”  2 Timothy 1:7

God gave us a spirit of power.  One of the definitions of power is the ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something. I like that. It implies that we have the ability to do something, but we have to take action in order to accomplish it. But the power is ours. It’s a power that comes from God. Because of God we have this ability to act.

God gave us a spirit of love. According to 1 Corinthians 13, love is patient and kind. It is not envious, boastful, or proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. This is a pretty tall order, don’t you think?  On our own, I don’t think we are capable of such behavior. I know I’m not. Because of God, we have a spirit of love. Because of God, we can love like this. It’s up to us to accept this gift from God. It’s a choice, because I assure you I don’t always feel like this.

God gave us a spirit of self-discipline. Confession time. I’m not good at this one. I have great intentions, but I can give in and often it doesn’t take much. Why? Because usually I rely on myself. But wait, it says “self” discipline. And yes, when I rely on me…self, I am likely to fall short or fail. But our verse says that God gives us self-discipline. That’s so much different. When I rely on Him and what He gives me, that means it’s possible. It’s there for me. And I have to choose it. I can do a all things through Christ who gives me strength, even be self-disciplined.

I love that God gives us what we feel we are not capable of.  These are available to us because the Holy Spirit lives in us. When we follow His leading each day our lives will more fully have these characteristics. God doesn’t want us living with timidity (fear). Through God, we are able to overcome our fear so that we can live full lives.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this as well. (comment section of my blog)

Suggested Readings and Assignments for Week 1:

Sunday– Pray and ask God to prepare your heart and the hearts of your sisters in this Bible study group. Enjoy today and be ready to go strong tomorrow. Maybe map out a schedule for your week and make sure you have all your materials ready. (pen, notebook, book, Bible, study space and time)

Monday– Read the Introduction and Chapter 1 of An Untroubled Heart. Highlight in your book anything that stands out. Share it with the girls on my blog. Write this week’s memory verse in your notebook and also on a few notecards . Place the notecards around your house, in your car, at work, etc.

Tuesday– Bible Study: Know It–Stow It–Show It~ This is where the study gets hard. It’s time to apply and examine yourself. On p. 22-24 of An Untroubled Heart, take the time to answer the questions and record them in your notebook/journal. Y’all this is where you have to stay strong and be willing to face the fire and conquer what’s holding you back. Go for it. Don’t be scared. Share anything you want to on my blog. I really want to hear from you!

Tuesday Conference Call #1. You must pay $14 and sign up to be a part of the Conference Call Series, but I promise it’s worth it! You can join us live or listen/download the recorded version of the call.  8 pm tonight we will be joined by the author of An Untroubled Heart, Micca Campbell. She will be sharing her testimony, why she wrote this book, and what she hopes you will gain from studying this book. I will be sharing a message, “Power, Love, and Self-Discipline.”  This call will be recorded if you can’t be on live. I hope you will sign up and join me! This is my time to connect personally with you :)  I will be emailing the call information to all participants on Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday– Read Chapter 2. Highlight in your book and record in your journal/notebook anything that speaks to you. Share it in the comment section of my blog. If you were a part of the conference call series, check your email for the recording information for the call.

Thursday– Bible Study: Know It–Stow It–Show It~ Chapter 2 contains a lot of thought provoking information about Satan’s lies and God’s truths. Things we really need to examine within ourselves and things we need to make decisions about so we can move forward. Not easy, but so rewarding. On p. 38-40 of An Untroubled Heart, take the time to answer the questions and record them in your notebook/journal. Please share.

Friday– Check in to Melissa’s blog for this week’s CHALLENGE! If you are behind, use today to catch up. Do you know this week’s memory verse yet?  Give it try!  Share this week’s victories, concerns, and prayer requests on my blog today.

I hope you will be enthralled by the love of God this week! Keep believing in His power, His love, and His ability to give you self-discipline. Don’t allow the threats of the enemy to take over the peace that God provides. You are worth fighting for. You have an awesome life waiting for you. Believe it and keep studying God’s Word. Plant His Word in your heart. I promise it will take root and produce fruit in due time.

Love you all and I’m so thankful and excited to start this study with you this week. If you have any questions or need prayer, call me at the Proverbs 31 office, 877-731-4663, ext. 200, M-F, 8:30-5:00 or email me at MelissaTaylorQuestions@gmail.com.

Let’s have a great week and get started on this great life-changing Bible study. I believe it, do you?

Comments

1. Donna Bostick says:

“Our present fears are fueled by our past experiences. Nevertheless, God doesn’t want us to go through the rest of our lives justifying our fears. Nor does He want us to live behind some protective wall that shields us from what might happen. God wants to teach us that it’s safe to trust Him. Even if we don’t have all the answers, our past will never make sense until we invite God into our present. Then we will see He has been there along.” (page 20, “an untroubled heart”)

I BELIEVE GOD IS GOING TO CHANGE MY HEART FROM THE INSIDE OUT THROUGH THIS STUDY AND MAKE MY HEART MORE LIKE HIS. MY FAITH WILL BECOME BIGGER THAN MY FEARS! MORE OF HIM …. LESS OF ME!

2. ALLthings are possible through Christ who strengthens ME and I believe God will, through this study, remove my fears so that I can become all that He created me to be!

3. I believe God is going to continue the work he has begun in me and make me stronger through this Bible Study, so I can continue my journey striving to be more like Jesus! :)

4. Peggy Durante says:

I BELIEVE GOD IS GOING TO ACCOMPLISH A PROCESS OF RESTORATION AND HEALING IN MY LIFE THROUGH THIS STUDY. MY FAITH WILL BE RENEWED AND I WILL BE ABLE TO TRUST HIM MORE!

• Sarah Rose says:

I just love the word RESTORATION! I love that you are seeking it and waiting of God’s renewal!

5. Excited to start this study and be a part of something life changing for myself and so many! Lets ROLL!!!!

6. I BELIEVE GOD IS GOING TO USE THIS STUDY TO TEACH ME TO BE CONFIDENT RATHER THAN FEARFUL. I BELIEVE THERE WILL BE BOLDNESS WHERE THERE IS FEAR. AMEN AND AMEN.

7. Michele Caséca says:

Hi ladies,

YES, I believe God is gonna do great things in our lives during this Bible Study.
    I believe we can live a life with no fears… trusting Him with all our hearts, and trusting His promises are true!

Mel, it´s SOOO great to be here! My heart and my mind will be with you tomorrow!

Mi

8. I believe that God is going to do something new in my life through this Bible study! I am tired living in fear! Woohoo! Go Jesus! Go Jesus! Please give me the strength to continue even when it hurts!

9. I BELIEVE THAT GOD IS GOING TO ACCOMPLISH GREAT THINGS IN MY LIFE THROUGH THIS STUDY! I need to learn to put things in God’s hands and not worry so much. I am hoping that this study will help me to do just this. All things are possible if you believe!! I’m very excited for this study! I can’t wait to see all the ways that God is going to show his love throughout!

10. I am so excited to see what great things God is going to accomplish in my life. He has been so faithful to me these last months as I have been going through these online studies. Thank you soo much Melissa and Micca!

11. Rachelle says:

We are in a season of big changes so I am trusting God to calm my fears of not being in control of my next step. And knowing that I know He’s got this all planned.

12. i believe that God is going to accomplish great things in my life through this study! and this is the truth that i am basing my trust, my faith, my believing on: “we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose. …what then are we to say about these things? if God is for us, who is against us? He did not even spare His own Son but offered Him up for us all; how will He not also with Him grant us everything? (romans 8:28-32). <3

13. So excited to start this study. This past year was a very difficult one and my prayer is that I am able to put aside my fears of the unknown and just draw closer to my savior. Thank you Lord for bringing this study and all of these sisters together so that we can draw closer to you. Amen!! (and thank you Melissa and Micca)

14. Annette Thompson says:

I know that God will do a work in me and I know as long as my heart is open to change that God can work within me. I am clay and he is the potter, I will allow him to mold me into what he has for me as a woman of God, a mother , a student, and wife, and He will fill me with Love to overflowing so that I may show the world the Love of Christ. I need self-discipline every day and his grace is sufficient for me. Thank you Lord for all you do and I cannot do anything without you.

15. Kim Golds says:

Ready to see what God has in store and the Victory that is ahead :)

16. I believe that God is going to do great things in my life through this study and I’m ready. I’m ready to live the life that God has planned for me, whatever that may be and I thank God for giving me the ability to do what I could not do on my own. Have a blessed day everyone!

17. I BELIEVE THIS STUDY AND THE ACCOUNTABILITY FROM NEW FRIENDS WILL RESTORE MY FAITH IN GOD. AFTER 3 YEARS OF DISAPPOINTMENTS I HAVE LOST TRUST IN GOD AND SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY I HAVE LOST MY FIRST LOVE. I BELIEVE IT’S TIME TO SEEK HIM FIRST AGAIN. MAYBE THEN MY MIRACLE WILL COME AND THIS AWFUL SEASON WILL BE OVER.

• Sarah Rose says:

Nicki,
      I will be praying for you, for you to feel God’s grace, his love, and that you will find your trust in Him again. Much love,
      Sarah

• Nicki,
      Thank you for being so honest about where you are! I love that about you already. We need to have hope and faith, but we also need to be honest about where we are. God can meet you EXACTLY where you are and walk you through the toughest times. And He will care for you every step of the way!

18. NO MORE FEAR NO MORE DOUBT, GOD IS GOING TO RESTORE, RE FRESH AND RENEW MY LIFE. PRAISE GOD FOR THIS STUDY. I’VE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, SO LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN. THANK YOU MELISSA FOR ALLOWING GOD TO USE YOU LIKE THIS.

19. I BELIEVE GOD IS GOING TO WORK MIGHTILY IN ALL OF US AS WE DO THIS STUDY TOGETHER! GOD DOESN’T WANT US TO BE IN BONDAGE AND LIVE IN DEFEAT IN ANY AREA OF OUR LIVES! THE SAME POWER THAT RAISED JESUS FROM THE DEAD IS ABLE TO MAKE US VICTORS, NOT VICTIMS!

20. I believe God is going to continue His work in me–helping me to let go of the fears and insecurities that have kept me bound–keeping me from the plans God has for me. I am excited about this bible study!

21. I BELIEVE THAT GOD IS GOING TO ACCOMPLISH GREAT THINGS IN MY LIFE THROUGH THIS STUDY! I BELIEVE MY FAITH WILL INCREASE WHILE MY FEARS WILL BE PLACED IN THE MIGHTY HANDS OF THE ONE WHO CAN TAKE CARE OF ME AND ALL MY CIRCUMSTANCES. I’M READY TO LIVE A FULL LIFE OF CONFIDENCE AND FAITH! I copied yours because it is early and I really need to believe exactly what you said. I am dealing with a loss in my life right now that is ripping me apart. I need to move beyond this an know that God has a plan. I BELIEVE and will trust and I will learn from this place I am at. Thanks Melissa and my on line group!

• Mary,

I’m thankful I was able to supply you with the words you needed to begin this journey of faith. That’s what I love about studying with others, we help each other along. I think God likes that. He gave us friends for a reason. I’m praying for you and I’m so sorry about your loss. Hang on and keep believing!

22. I am so excited. I already know the verse. I have had it memorized now for a while, I just have not put it into action. but I AM READY? I BELIEVE HE WILL COMPLETE A GOOD WORK IN ME.

23. I believe God has a plan and I don’t have to lean on my own understanding. It’s in God’s hands. Trust in God. He will show me the way as I study His word.

24. God come into my heart, each and every day. Help me to give my sorrows, my worries, fears and anxieties to you Lord. take them off my heart, off all our hearts and leave us feeling lighter and happier. Lord, come into our lives and share your grace and majesty. GOD I believe you will take away our burdens and save us from ourselves. Thank you for sharing your grace and forgiveness with us, your friends, your children.

25. “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
    I am excited to participate in my first online bible study & watch how God can melt away the ice glacier that stands before me…:)

• Carrie,

Welcome to your first online study! I’m happy to have your join us here. Let me know if you have any questions as we go along. I hope you enjoy your first online study!

26. Anonymous says:

I started reading chapter one,it was a year and a half ago my son Samuel suffer a long time of pain and suffering, samuel was sick with a fever, the night before our lifes would change forever,he was sick and the next day I had to go to a field trip as I lay down next to my son I felt in my spirit I should’nt go,the next day I spoke to my husand. I felt that I should stay home with Sam he a sure me everything would be ok.so I went to the feild trip on way the there we got in the accient I got hurt a little,I call my husband to tell him what had happen,he did”nt want to tell me that he was on his way to the burn center with my son,I felt helpness because I was two hours away.so I’m looking foward to this study.

• I am so sorry for your pain…..I hope you can find peace and comfort from this study and in growing closer to Jesus.

• Anonymous,

I’d love to know your name, but God knows it. I’m praying for you. I’m praying God will open your heart and fill it with hope, healing, and an abundance of faith.
      Big blessings sister <3

• praying for you, sister, that our Lord would meet you right where you are and encourage and comfort and bless and heal and deliver and l-o-v-e you as only He can! and i will continue to pray for you…may you remember that nothing–not anything–can ever separate you from the love that God and Jesus have for you! <3

27. megan s. says:

Lord, you know my heart <3 I started my journey with Melissa and some of these incredible women last year as I dared to have a more confident heart through standing on Your promises. I then found out that I was so perfectly Made to Crave things in life that only You were meant to fill. You are my perfect portion, Lord, and I am so grateful for that.

Now, as I begin this new journey with my Sisters in Christ, I am believing You for HUGE things! WIth You as my rock, my strength, and my perfect portion, I will be FEARLESS as I learn and grow through this study to live with NO MORE TROUBLE in my heart. You want more for me Lord!!!! SO MUCH MORE than I could ever imagine! Thank You for this blessing, father!

Lord, I pray a hedge of protection over this group of women… over our homes, our jobs, our churches, our families. I pray that each and every one of us is able to carve out the time we need each day, with your help and provision, to devote the time, energy and resources we need not only to our intimate relationship with You, but also to each other through this blog and the Facebook groups we might be a part of and to the reading and study of this amazing book.

Lord, give us all the strength to endure, run this race with all we have, and end VICTORIOUS through You! May You get all the glory, Lord, for the lives improved through this study. I thank you in advance for all you will do through us, Melissa, and Micca. Restore our hearts so that we can be the Proverbs 31 women You so BOLDLY call us to be!

In Jesus' matchless name I pray, amem. <3

28. I believe that God will release my fearful heart and pain and give me restoration . I am so ready to see how He will teach me and increase my trust and faith!

29. I BELIEVE GOD CAN DO GREAT THINGS IN MY LIFE THROUGH THIS STUDY, I WILL NO LONGER BE BOUND BE FEAR BUT LIVE THE LIFE CHRIST DIED FOR ME TO LIVE, ONE OF JOY AND FULFILLMENT. PRAISE GOD!!!!!

Thank you so much Melissa for your continued obedience in making these studies together possible. You are a huge blessing to us all. Thank you for all the time and work you put into each study. God Bless,

Jodi

30. I BELIEVE THAT GOD IS GOING TO ACCOMPLISH GREAT AND WONDERFUL THINGS IN MY LIFE THROUGH THIS STUDY! I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE…AND WILL GIVE HIM ALL THE GLORY!!! 😀

31. I’m ready to be strong in the Lord and for the Lord! I BELIEVE THAT GOD WILL DO GREAT THINGS IN MY LIFE AND HELP ME THROUGH HIS GREAT POWER TO BE THE PERSON HE WANTS ME TO BE AND FULFILL THE MISSION HE HAS FOR ME ON EARTH!
    Lord, help us all to spend time with you each day of this study and be real with you and take chances with you. FAITH NOT FEAR!

32. I believe and have the faith that God is going to accomplish great things in me during this Bible study. This is my first Bible Study. I pray that God will work his will in my thoughts and actions. I have suffered from anxiety and worry for many years. I know that with Him, I can be free from myself. Blessings to all.

• Cheryl,

Welcome to your first Bible study, I’m honored you would choose this one to join! I can relate to anxiety and worry. I’ve been on medication for my anxiety for a while now. Trusting God and believing He will take care of me has changed my life. Thank you for your honesty. I look forward to going on this journey with you!

33. In the past week, many corners of my families life are falling apart. It seems like God is working to reposition us and satan is working to destroy. I am trusting that God is bigger than all the impossibilities in our lives, and that He will provide the miracles to do what He has planned for us. My faith is shaky but it will not be shaken. I know without a doubt that God placed this study in my life “for such a time as this.” “For NOTHING is impossible with God”. He is not surprised by our circumstances; He has already walked through them.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know that plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.

• Keep the faith girl! Satan does want to destroy, but God is bigger. Chapter 2 is about just that. Thanks for sharing and doing this study. I hope everything with your family will be ok.

34. I am amazed at God’s perfect timing for this bible study in my life. It is an example of God providing exactly what I need for what I am going through. I believe that God is all powerful and can do a mighty work in my life to change how I deal with life circumstances. By His grace I expect to learn to live with an Untroubled heart!

• Donna Bostick says:

Yay Susan,

So glad you are on this journey with us! And I too love His perfect timing!

35. I BELIEVE THAT GOD IS GOING TO ACCOMPLISH GREAT THINGS IN MY LIFE THROUGH THIS STUDY! I BELIEVE MY FAITH WILL INCREASE WHILE MY FEARS WILL DECREASE……… GOODBYE FEARS…HELLO LIFE!!!

36. I KNOW that God has plans for me for a future that is good (jer. 29:11) and I will trust in Him with all my heart and quit leaning on my understanding of how things will work out (Prov 3:5-6). I will allow God to work through this study and expect to lose my fearful thoughts of what the future holds, both for me and for those I love.

37. I praise you Lord for the provisions of this earthly life, this online Bible study where You bring together so many of your faithful, hurting children. I praise You for our facilitators Melissa and Micca, for their willingness to lead us to more closely examine Your Word, to plant it into our hearts for us to walk more confidently and fearlessly toward You during our journey here together. To know, dear Lord, You are never farther away than our own breath. Keep our eyes on You Oh God. Keep our hearts filled with your love and Your Word. Thank you for each and every one who walks here in this study, who will and already have touched my life with Your love through their willingness to open themselves up to one another so we can ALL BETTER LOVE AND FOLLOW YOU.

38. USING THE MOMENTUM DEVELOPED THROUGH THE MADE TO CRAVE BIBLE STUDY, I BELIEVE THAT GOD WILL HELP ME RECOGNIZE MY FEARS (OF FAILURE, OF LETTING OTHERS DOWN, OF NOT MEASURING UP TO ANYONE ELSE’S STANDARD) AND OVERCOME THEM THROUGH FAITH!! I BELIEVE.

39. Hello ladies ! So excited to get going. I believe God is going to do a work thru this study and break some chains that are strongholding us ! As John 8:32 says: “Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” ! God is all about freedom from evil, lies and fear. He loves His “girls” and we are His girls… NEVER forget that ! May God abundantly bless us all for our desire to know Him better !

40. I believe Lord that you will accomplish great things in me. I have so many fears but I believe they are not to big or too many for you. I BELIEVE

41. Yes I believe and thru this bible study I am hoping to accomplish big things…and meet some amazing women who will help my on my journey to get to know God so much better! I believe God is working in me and on me. Let’s do this ladies – we have such amazing power as a group helping/guiding one another in life’s journey!

42. I am so excited for this study. I have already started to read the book and can’t get enough and already have been blessed beyond belief. God is such a God of deliverance and it is His Will that we not live in fear. He wants us to know Peace but we have to know Him and Trust Him.

The enemy uses fear to keep us bound and locked up and ineffective in our lives, distracted and confused and lost. God wants to set us free and I truly believe that this study will set free so many of us ladies!! AMEN!

43. I believe . . . and am SO ready for God to lead my life and do big things through this bible study! Cannot wait to get started :)

44. I believe and have the faith that God is going to accomplish great things in you during this Bible study.

45. Jena Rathbun says:

I believe God is who he says he is and he will do what he says he will do. I believe what he has done for others he will do for me. I am expecting him to do great and mighty things inside of me through this study. To reveal his truth to me in this area of fear. That I may be courageous enough to truly live life and no longer wait until… God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. I stand on that promise today ready for the reality of it to shine through in my life!

46. I believe and am so excited to start this journey!

47. Lord, I know that u r going to do great things in my life through this Bible study. Help me to be honest and trusting as I open my heart and mind to a new way of living. I trust you Lord with my life. Amen

48. I believe that God will speak to me through this study and reveal to me truths about myself as I follow him in this journey to freedom from fear and anxiety!

49. I believe God can do what He says He can do. I believe my Saviour will release me from my crippling anxiety and fear. I believe my heart will be changed so I BELIEVE I am a confient and beautiful child of God!

50. kim johnston says:

I know that God laid this study on my heart. I am ready to see what He has in store for me. I have a lot of fear over circumstances that are beyond my control, health issures, but I know that God is bigger than my fear. I am ready to give these fears to the one and only God who is bigger than my illness and fear. So ready to see how God will use this study to calm my storm.