Apr 23

An Untroubled Heart~Week 5

Dear Online Bible Studies Leader,

Hello and thank you for inviting me to join your Bible Study group!  I’m so excited to be doing Chapters 8 & 9 with you this week.

I noticed that Chapter 8 is titled Overcoming the Fear of the Unknown and Chapter 9 is The Right Kind of Fear.  I’ll be happy to learn the difference of fear in these two chapters. I mean, how can fear ever be right?  I’m so thankful to be in your group and have so many wonderful ladies to study with.  Thank you for leading this group.

I know I need to read Chapters 8 & 9 and answer the questions at the end of each chapter. I will do those this week, beginning today. That’s all I know though.  Don’t you also have a Word of the Week and a Memory Verse?  Could you please send me the Word of the Week and Memory Verse for this week?

Many Thanks!

No, you are not reading a note that someone emailed to me about the study. This note is to you, our leader, from me, your Bible study participant.  I want you to lead this week. Well at least partly.  Besides reading both chapters and answering the questions, I want you to come up with the Word of the Week and a Memory Verse and post them in the comment section.  Use your Word of the Week and your Memory Verse for you, for these two chapters. Take a few minutes to skim the chapters and come up with them. This week, make them your focus.  Please please please share with us in the comment section! Tell us what you selected and why. I know everyone’s will be different, but it will be so fun and interesting to see the what and why of what you picked. We will be posting these on the Online Bible Studies Facebook page throughout the week and on this blog.

I know you can do this. I’ve already noticed the way many of you encourage each other and pray for one another. That’s one sign of a great leader! Keep it up, I love that about you!

Thank you for leading this week! I can’t wait to learn from you :)

Happy Leading!

Comments

1. I am so far behind. But, I will be catching up soon!

2. Kimberlyspring4@gmail.com says:

Wow! I’m excited to be challenged to do your job. My dream is to be a woman in ministry.

3. Oh so many great verses this week

Verse of the week:
    My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my refuge and my savior. 2 Samuel 22:3

It brings me comfort and peace to know all I have to do is go to Him and rest in His word.

Word of the week PEACE.

4. Carol Bruntlett says:

Love me a good challenge so I will be getting back to you on this one but I am looking forward to each other comments and seeing what everyone has to say.
    Thanks for the challenge Melissa
    Carol

5. Carolyn Johnson says:

My word for this week is Endurance!
    For far too many years Satan has spooked me. I chose today to bring every fearful thought into the captivity of Jesus Christ. I am staking a claim that He is The Lord God Almighty! By God’s grace “Satan cannot scare me anymore!”
    II Corinthians 12:9. My Grace is sufficient for you for my Stregnth is made perfect in weakness!”

6. ~ENDURANCE~
    Isaiah 43:2 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched; Nor will the flame burn you.”

Some truths have come up about my personality in doing many of the things God has been working on me this past year….it’s been a growing and surrendering experience for me.
    One truth is that I’m a procrastinator and some of the reason behind this is that I lack the endurance to take on a project, so I just wait until the last minute and do things half-hazardly and quickly. I’m a sprinter not a marathon runner. Yep, endurance is a big one for me. Through this study I’m learning I don’t have the endurance capable of making things great and that’s ok because I am not alone in this…only God’s grace provides me with the endurance capable of perserving through trials, the great and the small – like the daily trials everyday life brings.

• Hey, Amy,
      I felt Christ’s strength in me when I read your word of the week and your scripture! I, too, am a bad procrastinator, and this is one of my fears! I wait til the bitter end, and then rush around like a crazy person, wondering “Why did I wait, Oh, I could have taken care of this!” etc. Sometimes, it gets so bad, I just say, “forget it, I’m not doing this.” Satan had me, but no more! I have the strength of the Holy Spirit in me every second of my life. How blessed we are. Thanks for your word of the week and your Scripture. God bless you and everyone in this study!

• Endurance is yours Amy!!! Great choice especially based on what you shared. God does provide and so therefore you have it! Love the verse too. Isaiah 43 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible! Great job :)

• Amy,
      I too almost picked Endurance & am a procrastinator as well, beating myself up as I rush through each task just as Sheila shared. Why do we do such things to ourselves??
      I’m so greatful for this weeks challenge, this has been fun, encouraging, & eye opening reading others!!

• Thank you all for your replies…they really blessed me!! 😀

7. The Words that we are going to be focusing on this week are taken from our memory verse of the week (below).

Hope – future

Memory Verse:
    “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

The definition for hope in dictionary.com says, “The feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best.” This sounds just like God; He wants us to have what we want and He wants the best for us/His children. We serve an amazing God, a God that loves us so much that He would give us His only Son to death on a cross so that we may know Him and have hope for the future. Matthew 12:21 says, “In his name the nations will put their hope” (NIV). All those (from all nations) who know Him can have hope. The verb states, “To look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence, to believe, desire, or trust.” With hope in God we can live and step out as the Lord leads and have such a confidence that everything will turn out right. Oh I am not saying that things will not go wrong or there will not be bumps in the road but He/God has promised to go through with us and because of that we have a future in Him. Things come into our lives that question what our future will be, a death, a disease, an accident, anything that shakes us to the very core of our being but hope and trust in God gives us something to look forward to, “a time that is to be or come hereafter”(dictionary.com). John 5:47 says, “I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life” (NIV).

Five years ago I was admitted into the hospital with something that the doctors could not even diagnose, I was losing the use of my arms. There were many test run but no answers could be found. I had a lot of little symptoms for many different diseases but not one strong enough to get a final diagnosis. This left doctors confused and frustrated, there were many questions, what were they going to do with me or where could they send me to get help? I began to wonder what the outcome would be, what future did I have with no use of my arms. I would not be able to hug my husband and children, how was I going to hold my grandchildren again. In the eyes of the secular world my future looked bleak and dark. But through the eyes of a lover of God, a daughter of the King I had hope and knew that my future was in His hands and what will be will be. He is my joy and my comfort and I put my trust in Him. A prayer chain that stretched from Maine to California was laying the name of Lisa at the foot of the cross and I walked out of the hospital after eight days totally healed (still no diagnosis) but my God needs no diagnosis to heal. Doctors, nurses, and non-Christian family members were amazed but I placed my hope and my future in the hands of the great physician and walked towards the future God had for me. What a hope, what a future, what a God!
    Love you all
    Lisa

• Awesome!!! So great! I think you could just take over and start leading this study. I love all the time, knowledge, and personal story you put into your post. Hope is my very favorite word in the world. Jeremiah is very special to me. Thank you for this.

• What an awesome testimony. I dealt with a situation similar to yours and it made me realize the extent of God’s love. For many years, I could hardly hope to feel better again. But, hope was restored. Thank you for sharing. It reminded me that God is a supernatural God and these silly fears that pop up can be abolished in His name! Thank you!

• Melissa S. says:

Truly an amazing testimony…you really spoke to me. Thank you so much for sharing.

8. My words for the week are:
    Prosper, Future, Hope

This is based on my favorite verse in Jeremiah 29:11. I have leaned on this verse most of my adult life because growing up I was told by my parents that I would never have anything, amount to anything or make a good life for myself. Yet, with God on my side I have accomplished so much in my life, yet I know God continues to have a great plan for my life. I believe that God has called me to more and I am excited to see what unfolds.
    This study has opened my eyes to the stronghold that I have allowed the enemy to have over my life in the area of fear. I believe God brought me to this study at exactly the right time, with the right leader and the right group through the study. Thanks to all that have been working through the study as well as participating in the FB group.

• Angie,
      I love your words and your verse! Thank you so much for sharing how God is using these words and verse in your life. You are facing and conquering fear, with God’s help. Great job Angie!

• I agree with you. This verse is one of my favorite verses next to 2 Timothy 1:7. Both of which were discovered through these studies. I agree with you. We are all here for a reason. You are made for more girl!

9. Wow what a great opportunity to lead this week. One of the words that really stuck out as I read Chapter 8 today was Surrender.

Word of the Week: Surrender
    Memory Verse:Whoever finds his life will lose it, whoever loses his life for my sake will find. Matthew 10:39

God is calling us to surrender ourselves to him wholeheartedly and with abandon. In surrendering ourselves to the Lord we are ultimately giving up those things that hold us captive like fear.
    Watch these video and I hope it speaks to the depths of your hearts as you continue to allow God to work in your hearts.

Blessings,
    Rosa Perez

• Great word of the week – SURRENDER!!!!

• Rosa,
      I love how you called this an “opportunity to lead this week.” It’s a challenge but yes it’s an opportunity! You all get to be heard and your voice matters! Thank you for the word, verse, and video! You have encouraged us all. You are a great leader!

10. PEACE

Isaiah 43:2-3a (NIV)
    When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.
    When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.
    When you walk through fire of oppression, you will not be burned; flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God.

The fear of the unknown is one of my biggest fears and I have desired more PEACE in my life for years. So, I felt it fitting to focus on PEACE this week. I found this verse very comforting, especially in the NIV. I have never noticed this verse before. I am hoping to memorize it and for the Holy Spirit to remind me of it during hard times.

11. Word of the Week: Carefree
    Verse: “My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my refuge and my savior” – 2 Samuel 22:3

I choose Carefree as my word because I struggle living the carefree life that I long for. I’m always pulled into the flesh of worries and fears. As long as I can keep my eyes focused and Christ and remember what God promises me in 2 Samuel, I think I can obtain the carefree life I’ve searched for. It’s gonna be hard, more work than I’ve ever put into anything, but with God all things are possible, right?

• That’s a new one: carefree. I love it! Absolutely remember the promises of God, especially in the verse you chose this week, and the carefree life is yours. With God all things are possible! And that too is a promise from God! Great Job Jenn!

• Carefree. What a great word Jenn! That reminded me of 1 Peter 5:7: “Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you.” And, if can do that, we can be free. Such a great word! I will store that in my heart this week. Thank you! And, keep persevering, girl!!!

12. Judy Carreno says:

Just a quick post to acknowledge the assignment and to let you know I am working on it! Love the challenge!

13. GRACE – HIS GRACE

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Cor 12:9 What a promise! His grace is sufficient for anything and everything that we face – even the unknown! And in our weakness, we come to FEAR (the respect kind of fear) and LOVE and obey HIM!

LULNMW

• Great Job Donna Lou! Love your word, grace. It’s one of my favorites…obviously since it’s in my daughter’s name! The unknown can be scary, but when we cling to 2 Cor 12:9, we don’t have to be!

• Thanks Melissa! I am always thankful for His grace. My life would not be the same without it! I sometimes shudder and cringe, NO, make that always shudder and cringe, when I think about where I would be without Him and His GRACE! He is my GRACE! He has broken my chains and freed me from so many things!!! Reminds me of Chris Tomlins song Amazing Grace! So thankful and so blessed beyond measure, comprehension, and way beyond what I deserve! What an amazing FREE gift from Him! And all that was asked of me was to BELIEVE!!

Praying that I am always extending that same GRACE to those that He puts in my life!! I always think of the store of Jesus and the one sheep. Always trying to remember that there is always at least one more who needs His GRACE and that I may be the only connection to His GRACE that the one person may have!

And I do fail Him at times, but I always try to ask Him for one more so that not only will I get a second chance but more importantly so will that one more!

Rambling now!!!

Thank you for your investment in my life!

LULNMW

14. I woke up in the middle of the night recently, as I often do, and this verse came to mind. While marveling at how it got there, let alone stayed there, I fell into a peaceful sleep.
    Verse of the week: “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3
    Word of the week: Hope

• My favorite word is hope…love it! And that verse, Isaiah 26:3..wow, what an affirmation of the hope, peace, and trust we find in God. Great job girl!

15. Stephanie says:

The word of the week: Surrender is what is standing out to me.
    The verse of the week “For Ive been crucifed with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Gal 2:20

I know from past experience that surrender doesnt come easy for me but it has been the one and only thing that has ever given me freedom from fear. 9 years ago my husband and I were trying to conceive. I wanted a child more than I wanted to breathe. I was at a very sad place in my life but heard a song about surrendering to God. At the moment I surrendered MY desires to the Lord I felt at peace. I knew at that moment without a shadow of a doubt whatever Gods plans were for us I could handle it, whether it be adoption or conceiving on my own or maybe not being a parent at all. 11 months later I gave birth to my precious girl. Surrender isnt easy but I know it is what God desires and what brings the most peace.

• I LOVE THAT VERSE! Remember that song “I Have Been Crucified With Christ” by Phillips, Craig, and Dean? I may be showing my age with that, but oh my so beautiful. Yes, surrender and yes Christ lives in me! Great job girl! Surrender is very hard, but trust in God allows it to be possible.

• Stephanie says:

YES!! That song has been on my mind ever since I was reminded of that verse today! Surrender is so very hard but it’s needed to achieve peace! His will is always better than ours! Such a hard lesson to learn! I will be having surgery in May & am needing to remind myself of this everyday!!

16. Kristi S says:

My words of the week:
    Honor=Surrender + “Let Go” + Endurance

“My grace is sufficient for you, my POWER is made perfect in your weakness.” (1 Corinthians 12:9)

Four words? Um. Pick one idiot. As one who can not seem to color within the lines at times, I realized that the Creator was creative in how He wants us to view FAITH. It’s a PROCESS that we must understand whether we are in an unknown city, an abusive situation where we cannot see a way out or simply waking up in the morning with a defined task list for the day. I needed to be reminded THIS week that we honor God when we put our faith in Him. Last week, I TRUSTED in Him. I crumbled every day but God was there. He was faithful to me in spite of my weaknesses.

As I read these chapters, I saw a process that, as believers, we must continuously recognize in order to “run the race” without letting fear cause us to fall flat on our face. Micca addresses several key elements to the understanding of faith. In Hebrews 11:1, faith is defined as “being certain of what we hope for and being sure of that which we do not see.” As human beings, we can look for proof of God’s presence in our lives but it is often intangible. Faith is predicated on trust and action. According to the author of Hebrews, we HAVE to believe in a God that we cannot see. That’s not easy at all, is it? But, God is there and we can honor Him by having faith that His power will be evident in our weakness. Your story is His story.

“Our greatest privilege is to know and honor God.” (p.171) We honor God when we begin to learn His promises and apply them in our lives. However, in order to know and honor God, we must “surrender” to His will in our life. We have to “let go” of all things that are holding us back from His purpose in our lives. (Hebrews 12:1) And, finally, in order to “honor” God, it takes “endurance” not to give way to fear but to press FORWARD with our eyes firmly fixed on Jesus Christ” (p. 149). (Hebrews 12:2)

By faith…such an important precursor to a life that honors God in the valley of decision and the peak of provision. One which surrenders to Gods will, “lets go” of anything that prevents us from seeing Jesus in the mundane and the supernatural. By enduring, we act on the faith that we don’t have to do it alone. He is leading us through all things!

• Hebrews 11:1 is one of my all time favorite verses. 😀
      Thank you so much for your scriptures and post!

17. Word of the week: Surrender

Memory Verse:
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is make perfect in weakness.
    2 Corinthians 12:9

My prayer is that God will help us take our thoughts captive and keep our focus on HIM this week.

18. Christina R says:

I have two words for the week is Surrender and Trust.

This is exactly what God is asking me to do right now, surrender my ideas of how my future should be and trust Him with with!

My verse: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

19. The two words that kept flashing in my mind were “surrender” and “yield”.

My scripture is 2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Being a personality that likes to have things under control, surrendering and yielding are two of the toughest things for me to do. In those moments when I know I am trying to control the situation, I remind myself to sit in the passenger seat and just enjoy the ride as my God and my Lord “drive” my life. He is in control — not me. He is my driver and I am there to be part of this journey that He is taking me on.

• Surrender and Yield. Awesome words Melissa. I agree with you! It’s so hard for me not to take control of the situation. But, when I do, I get stressed and anxious. Those words reminded me of 1 Peter 5:6 (I absolutely love verses 6 and 7) “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.” God has a time for everything and I need to remember that daily. Praying for you this week!

• Christina R says:

Awesome words! I love that verse too!

20. Reminded of this song tonight!

God say Yes to His promises!

21. New “pin” for Chapter 8

22. I am working on the opportunity…working on word/s and verse

23. megan s. says:

Memory Verse:

2 Samuel 22:3
    3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield and the horn of my salvation.
    He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Word: Captivity….. holding my thoughts captive. Sometimes we need saved from ourselves… our own thoughts <3 And the Lord is so faithful to always meet ne right where I am to comfort me and guide me back to all He has for me.

• Almost picked that one too Megan…..I actually liked all the verses from chapter 8 and 9.

• Melissa S. says:

Megan,

You are so right —sometimes we need to be saved from ourselves–our thoughts. I know that I’ve been going through that this week and just feel completely drained from my thoughts and fears. They have kept me behind in the study this week. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I needed to read them.

24. Verse: Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
    My word for week is humility. I am used to being very self sufficient. For a number of years I was married to an alcoholic who was very unreliable and irresponsible. With four children I assumed the responsibilities and then eventually as a single parent I was head of household. I prided myself on being able to handle any situation and crisis. I made all the decisions not realizing I was edging God out. I was very independent and relied on my own understanding. I was so prideful as to believe it was okay I was in control. I have spent this past season surrendering to God but found myself in the past week coming up with my own plan and seeking Gods plan first and foremost. God wants to be included in every aspect of our lives no matter how trivial or how capable we are.

• Girl. What a beautiful message. Humility! I was right there with you. For many years, I did the same. I thought I had to control the situation because if I didn’t who would take care of me. I thought I had gotten over those issues until last week as well. Such a great reminder that God has to “be included in every aspect of our lives no matter how trivial or how capable we are.” Thank you so much! I needed to hear that!!!

25. Verse: Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
    My word for week is humility. I am used to being very self sufficient. For a number of years I was married to an alcoholic who was very unreliable and irresponsible. With four children I assumed the responsibilities and then eventually as a single parent I was head of household. I prided myself on being able to handle any situation and crisis. I made all the decisions not realizing I was edging God out. I was very independent and relied on my own understanding. I was so prideful as to believe it was okay I was in control. I have spent this past season surrendering to God but found myself in the past week coming up with my own plan and not seeking Gods plan first and foremost. God wants to be included in every aspect of our lives no matter how trivial or how capable we are.

26. Oops sorry I guess I hit submit once too many times

27. Lindsay M. says:

Word: SURRENDER
    Verse: 2 Corinthians 12:9-“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

28. Sheena Keefe says:

‘Make quiet time – empty your mind – and rest, listen for God’s Word’.
    Isaiah 26 v 3 He will keep you in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him.
    REST.
    Too often I am rushing around, not focusing on my quiet time with the Lord. Then I get tired, and any fears or troubles spring to mind and the replay button is pressed! I need to learn to be quiet – literally!

29. The word that came to mind was
    ASSURANCE
    It encompasses ~confidence, hope, sure, trust (it also in the Hebrew means refuge)
    verse
    Isaiah 26 : 3 He will keep you in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him.

These verses go along with each other…
    No one ever does know what we will do or how we will react in a crisis. But we can always be assured that our God, our Abba Father will be there with us… holding us,guiding us.. doing whatever needs to be done for us .
    The more we know our Daddy and spend time fellow shipping with Him( keeping our mind on Him) before the crisis, i believe the better we will be able to handle it ( to walk thru the fire without getting burned), because we will be able to hear and feel Him… We will know His promises and His character and how to stand on our faith. It does not mean we will never have problems. We will be better equipped.. Our assurance will be strong.. *sigh* yes we do all fall short of this and often these times ebb and flow, But He is always right there for us… as Kristi says *it is a process and He is faithful in spite of my weakness* we have every assurance of that… Love Him!!!!!!

• Thank you for these words, Tracey. It put into words what is in my heart. These two chapters have really brought home for me, not so much dealing with a current fear, but reminding me of how God’s showed up for me during my battle with breast cancer. I had been deepening my relationship with Him for a year or so before I was diagnosed and I remember telling others how clear it was to me that He had been preparing me for this battle. And He truly had. Had I gone through that a year or two earlier, I still have no doubt He would have brought me through it, but it would have been SO much harder. It was still hard, don’t get me wrong. And I BEGGED for Him to take a way. Miraculous, bible days, cast the demon out HEALING! And He didn’t. At least not in the way I wanted. And I have been reminded of that power so much in these last two chapters. That He WILL show up and show off when we get out of our own way and let Him work. And He IS faithful! And like David, next time I am going through something, I will remember His faithfulness and that alone will strengthen my faith and make it easier for me to let go once again.

30. The word I chose for the week is : surrender.

I am having to face some fears and can’t do it unless I surrender them to God – and trust Him.

The memory verse for me this week is : Psalms 145:19
    “He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him, He hears their cry and saves them.”

31. Hello Melissa

Our words for the week will be Hope – Future

Memory Verse:

This verse so rightly tells us that God knows the plans He has for us. As Micca said earlier in the book all our days are numbered by the Lord. He knows what our life holds for us so it gives us HOPE that we know HE is in control. He has plans for us, he is working and willing to do good in our lives. As the word says all things work do good for them who love the Lord and are called according to his purposes. Anything that happens to us, even if it seems at the time to harm us, is to bring about those plans and our good future. In that we can have HOPE and know that our lives are those that are good. God is not in the business of harming us and His desire is to do good to us and bring about His will in our lives that is good and perfect and give us the future HE knows is best for us.

• Hope,

Jeremiah 29:11 is my life verse. I used that verse all throughout my testimony the first time I ever shared it at a women’s retreat! His is my HOPE, and my FUTURE. Love this!!

32. Orenda Smith says:

EWord of the week….Overcome

Dictionary.com… The deftion of overcome is…
    1. To prevail over ( tempatons, opposition, etc)
    2. To overpower
    3. To win

Bible verse for the week… 1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. (Kjv)

When I reflect on the definitions three things come to my mind…… with Jesus Christ I
    have the power and Gstrength to do all things. I will win at whatever I put my mind to, beause I have the victory of Jesus Christ. With Jesus by my side we will overpower anything the enemy may lay at my feet. For Jesus lives in me!!

Last year I was in a very dark place, then the Lord sent me an angel. Who not only show me the light and God’s grace and mercy, but also became my hubby. I meet a Jesus I never knew of full of love, forgiveness, and for the greater good. I grew to love Him and build a relationship with Him. Since July 4 2011, we have been busy overcoming many things. To name a few drugs, alcohol and living for the enemy. Since then there hasn,t been a day that I regret. It has been nothing but great victories!!! So please stay on the path of Jesus and know together you will overcome anything!!
    Love and God Bless to all :)

33. Word: Surrender
    Verse: James 4:7 “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”

I love what Micca says about surrender…”Have you ever considered why God asks us to surrender our will to His will? It’s because once Jesus has full reign over our lives, then we have all that He is! We have His wisdom, His faith, His power, and His holiness…It’s the very life you and I are struggling to obtain in our own power every day – and can’t.”

• Love this Angie …. and I so need to always surrender myself and my life to Him … 24/7!

34. Cindy T. says:

PEACE is my word. I just finished my final last week, so I am feeling Peace return to my life. I long to keep Jesus’ Peace all the time, no matter what circumstance I find myself in! (I am behind, but am catching up! This study is great!)

35. SURRENDER…..
    SURRENDER is also my word for this week!! We must make the choice day-by-day, minute-by-minute to surrender our lives, our minds, our fears, our worries to GOD, for it’s only when we truly yeild to HIM and HIS perfect will in our lives, can we find the peace that passes all understanding. We must take our thoughts captive and surrender them to HIM, not listening to the enemy’s lies. My scripture for my life is Phil. 4:7, “And the peace of GOD, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in CHRIST JESUS”. If we truly trust in HIM-no matter the cirucmstances, we find that peace that’s only possible through HIM-that peace that truly surpasses ALL understanding!! No matter what the storm is in our life, if we have surrendered control of our lives to HIM, then we can face the storm knowing full well, HE has it all in the palm of HIS hand and we don’t need to worry about it!!!

36. Word of the Week: Provision
    Memory Verse: Psalm 23:1
    The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.

I’m so far behind in reading… But just skimming the titles, some headings & the first two sentences of these two chaptures this is what I feel fits!
    Looking forward to read what others have shared!!

37. Joyce Olmstead says:

Our memory verse this week is Galatians 2:20- “I am crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”
    The Word I believe God is saying this week to me, which I will share with you is:
    “My husband dislikes cockiness very much. It is a sin/flaw that he is quick to pick up on. God personally pointed out to me a sin in myself this week that also is a “C” word: callousness. The dictionary describes it this way: insensitive, unfeeling, heartless, indifferent, unsympathetic. Can I say “ouch?!”
    Proverbs 15:31-33 says “If I listen to constructive criticism, I will be at home among the wise. If I reject discipline, I only harm myself; but if I listen to correction, I will grow in understanding. Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom, humility precedes honor.”
    Over this past weekend we had a tragedy in Upstate New York. Our nieces husband was involved in a boating accident. Despite intensive searching, his body has not been recovered. Through this I have been through the initial stages of grief and crying out to God in intercession for the extended family.
    From the devotional, “Jesus Calling,” by Sarah Young, God spoke to me “You give me thanks(regardless of your feelings), and I give you Joy(regardless of your circumstances).
    I am so very thankful that He is God and I am not. I am thankful I have a Father who loves me so much He will correct me, and that it will produce the fruit of righteousness.

• Melissa S. says:

I am so sorry to hear of your niece’s husband! My prayers are with you and your family!

38. Word of the Week: Plans (as in God’s–not mine!)

Verse: Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the PLANS I have for you, declares the Lord, PLANS to prosper you and not to harm you, PLANS to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come to me and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

The dictionary states that a plan is ‘a scheme or method of action or arrnagement developed in advance’. God has ordained my days since before time began….he knew my life, my struggles, my dreams, my hurts as he was knitting me together in my mother’s womb. He made me anyway! I am His, I am valuable, I have a PLAN…it is God’s PLAN. It is His gift to me…in the form of the life He gave to me.

Fear alters my PLANS, but God uses those fears to ultimately draw us closer to Him. That is his PLAN. When my husband was admitted to rehab for addiction to pain medications while I had 4 little ones to care for and so many questions to answer, and my world seemed to be falling apart…God had a PLAN. When years later my husband lost his comfortable corporate job and we experienced unemployment for the first time, I again was devastated. I remember that first night after I made dinner sitting down with our 5 children…I just sat, and through tears, watched them eat. I didn’t want to eat because I didn’t want to take food from my precious babies because we had no means to get more. My hope was dashed…this wasn’t what I had planned…hadn’t we already learned to trust God during the whole rehab experience? Now this? What more did we need to learn? Obviously I needed to learn about trust, faith and hope…to trust in HIS PLANS, not mine. He was faithful to provide for us…often in ways we could not explain. Our faith really grew then and we began to see that all along we really trusted in other things…Yes, we were Christians, but we really never had to trust God…we trusted in each other, in friends, family, in a job, in a paycheck…in health insurance and all that accompanies. But we never really had to put gut-wrenching trust in God and look hard to see the PLANS He was unfolding for our lives. Fast forward a year…my husband had been working at a decent job for some time when he announced that he -again- had lost his job. I just smiled…no fear…I had learned that lesson…We both knew God had a PLAN…my husband even dubbed the experience “our adventure’! Now that’s a perspective change. In all of those experiences God’s PLAN brought us to a place of new ministry…ministering to alcoholics and drug addicts…and sharing our story of hope during trial, redemption and forgiveness, and a PLAN that far surpasses anything we could have dreamed possible in our previously -comfy-life.

• Don’t you love how God takes what we think are impossibilities and uses them and us for HIS glory!!! What a privilege to be used for His glory!!

Thanks for sharing your story with us!!

• Melissa S. says:

Yes, thank you for sharing your story! Truly a wonderful example of placing Faith in God’s plan!

39. So loving how I keep seeing SURRRENDER as the word of the week…. I so struggle just trying to sing the song, I Surrender All in church …. cause I know …that there is always something that I am holding onto with my fists clenched tight … refusing to either let it go out of fear or always running back to pick it back up once I’ve laid it at the cross …. It’s gotta be a 24/7 choice for me …..

40. Lynda Parker says:

Hi Girls! I decided to use this as my verse: “Say to those who have an anxious heart, BE STRONG; FEAR NOT! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.'” -Isaiah 35:4, NIV
    My word is “Empowered!” I know this was one of our words in “Made to Crave” but by the time I have been in two of these studies, I really am feeling “Empowered” by the Lord! I am learning to quit going to a girlfriend, quit fretting, getting down, and just simply take it to Him!!

41. Good morning, ladies. I have finally caught up! PTL!!!

Word for the week: Cling

Definition –
    to adhere closely; stick to
    to hold tight, as by grasping or embracing; cleave
    to remain attached, as to an idea, hope, memory, etc.

Psalm 63:8 ~ I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely.(NLT)

As Micaa talked about Joshua, we see that he “successfully resisted fear by keeping his focus on God rather than the events surrounding him.”(pg 149)

If your a mother, do you remember the first time you beheld your newborn in your gaze, how you couldn’t look away… Your eyes followed the precious one as she/he was placed in your arms for the first time. Your gaze even followed when the nurses took your child to clean them and check them. There wasn’t anything that would get your focus off the one you loved.

Our focus should be on the Father in the same way. Not that we ignore the world around us, but that we cling to Him, singularly focused on the fact that He’s got everything under control. My desire is for my eyes, my heart and my spirit to cleave to Daddy so tightly, nothing can get between us.

Jesus Calling said this this morning and it speaks of me to a T.
    “Your fear often manifests itself in excessive planning. Your mind is so accustomed to this pattern of thinking that you are only now becoming aware of how pervasive it is and how much it hinders your intimacy with Me. Repent of this tendency and resist it…”

Oh, how I had to repent. Fear of the unknown for me does cause me to plan. I hate not knowing. I feel out of control and my mind and body cannot comprehend being in a state of unknown. But, Father is showing me that even in the knowing, there is always the unknown of this earth.

Only in KNOWING the Father is there peace and joy because no matter what happens, He loves me. He loves us.

Micca says: “It’s only when you and I respect God’s name, power, and ways that we come to understand His love, which, in turn, eliminates our fear.”

When we respect Him–the WHOLE Presence of who God is, it eliminates—exterminates our fear.

I am meditating, and settling in to cling to this today.

• Danielle – this really ministered to me, thank you.

• Melissa S. says:

Danielle,

This really and truly spoke to me. Words can’t express how deeply I needed to read this. I had been doing so well with this study and this past week I just fell on my face, crippled by fear of the unknown. The quote you wrote from Jesus Calling will be going onto my journal and I need to memorize it quickly so when fear comes into my mind, I can just keep repeating it. Thank you so much for sharing.

42. Words of Week: Carefree Living and Respect
    Memory Verse:
    Proverbs 15:33 (MSG)
    Fear-of-GOD is a school in skilled living—first you learn humility, then you experience glory.

43. Heather M says:

My word for this week is FAITHFULNESS

Chapter 8 spoke to me about God’s faithfullness to me…He is always there to guide me, support me, comfort me, give me direction.

Chapter 9 spoke to me about my need to be faithful to God….having a fear of Him, how my respect for others is reflective of my respect for God.

No verse has jumped out to claim me yet this week, so I’ll have to get back to you on that part of the challenge!

44. ~Joy~
    My overwhelming feeling of happiness as I walk beside the Lord each day. This joy is because I do not fear but I walk in faith. The joy is hearing someone recognize that I am different!! I am different!! I love the Lord with all my might!! When stressful situations arise I feel the concern of the situation and pray that God will bless me in the situation and my calmness takes over. This is my joy and He is my rock.
    The verse that I chose for this week is ~
    Psalm 32:8 ~ I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
    Thanks and have a great week!
    Amy

45. Ok. I think I am finally ready to share some of the thoughts God has placed on my heart. Here goes:

Word for the week(life): PATH

As in, “Which way do I go?”, “What does God have planned for my life?”, “What do I do now?”, “Can I do this on my own?”, “Does God really expect me to?” I CAN’T DO THIS!!!!

Memory Verse:
    Psalms 48:14
    For this God is our God for ever and ever;
    He will be our guide even to the end.

The last couple of weeks I have been praying over “God Opportunities” in my life. I actually have several index cards on my desk scattered around me all with scripture I have been led to concerning the PATH my life should take.

So I start with Psalms 48:14, …He will be our GUIDE even to the end. Then I read Psalms 32:8, I will instruct you and teach you in the WAY you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Then, Psalms 15:13, In your unfailing love you will LEAD the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will GUIDE them to your holy dwelling.

Psalmist David was truly wise in one area of his life; he sought God about the direction for his life choices (well for a while anyway). He knew God would put him on the right PATH.

Hear comes the fear part,

Then, Isaiah 43:19, See, I am doing a NEW thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a WAY in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

Deuteronomy 5:33, Stay on the PATH that the Lord your God has commanded you to follow. Then you will live long and prosperous lives in the land you are about to enter to occupy.

The key to all these verses is to SEEK THE LORD! When I am afraid, SEEK THE LORD! When I am lost, SEEK THE LORD! And after all this seeking, Jesus summed it up for me. He was teaching his disciples at the last supper with these words,

John 13:17
    “You know these things — now do them! That is the PATH of blessing.”
    Jesus Christ

I have released fear during this study. I choose the PATH of blessing that only my God can provide.

For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end.
    Psalms 48:14

46. Holly McCabe says:

I have a couple words that keep going through my head…..
    1. HOPE (we always have it through Jesus)
    2. PEACE (Jesus is the only way to true peace)
    3. CAPTIVE (our thoughts can take us captive , or we can take them captive)

Verse: loved reading 2 Samuel 22….. Davids song of praise! :)

I have struggled with postpartum depression & anxiety….and fear of the unknown and fear in general is overwhelming. Love the concept of taking my thoughts captive….. Not letting Satan take them and run wild with them. He is a liar & I won’t give him any place in my thoughts.

I am truly thankful for the PEACE that passes all understanding that God has blessed me with over & over again….my dad died very unexpectedly Feb 2010…. I had a great close relationship with him and miss him so much. Thinking back on
    the days following his death & funeral stuff, and even life going forward I can’t get over the peace the peace He gave me & the ability to cope…. And the HOPE to keep going…. And the HOPE in seeing my dad & our Jesus again! I’m reminded often when going through things & as I hear songs that “this is not our home”…

Loving this book & study…. Don’t have to live a life worrying about everything 😉 Gods plans are good…..and they will prevail….and He will be with us through the good & the bad. God is good! All the time! All the time! God is good! :)

• Melissa S. says:

Holly,

So sorry to read of your Dad’s sudden passing. I also have struggled with depression, anxiety, fear of the unknown since giving birth to my daughter. she’ll be 2 this month! It’s a struggle sometimes. I’m trying so very hard to take my thoughts captive! Good for you that you are doing it!!!

47. Maira Varela says:

Hi Everyone my word for the week is OVERCOMER and my verse is 2 Corinthians 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    I loved how Mica gave the illistration of captureing the thoughts in our fingers and getting rid of them. This was so eye opening for me and I started to practice it right away. It was such a great feeling to overcome with the help of God’s word and make my mind obedient to Christ. The mind is where the battle is won or lost and I plan on being a winner with my Saviour at my side.

In His Love!
    Maria

• Melissa S. says:

Maira,

You are so right—the mind IS where the battle is won or lost!!! I really needed to read that. Thank you.

48. My word for the week is STRENGTH.

Memory verse: I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer.” Psalm 18: 1-2

We are strong, we are not victims but VICTORS through Christ. The only thing worry guarantees is that our peace is stolen from us. We must decide not to give away our peace to Satan, the great deceiver. My new prayer repeatedly thru the day is Micca’s words “Lord, take this thought captive and make it obedient to you,” any time worry and doubt creep into my mind. “When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, In God I trust; I will not be afraid.” Psalm 56:3-4. Quiet my heart with your love, Lord. Give us a quiet determination and strength to claim what is ours thru His redeeming love. Because of the cross, we are redeemed from sin, sickness, pain and torment (lack of peace).

49. Kim Golds says:

PEACE
    When you go through deep waters,
    I will be with you.
    When you go through rivers of difficulty,
    you will not drown.
    When you walk through the fire of oppression,
    you will not be burned up;
    the flames will not consume you.3 For I am the LORD, your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

Thank you Lord for the peace that surpasses ALL understanding. I love that with you I can walk through the fire and NOT get burned. I receive this to the full!!!

Trackbacks

1. […] Melissa Taylor’s website for more on An Untroubled Heart Bible study. Rate this: Share […]