Apr 30

An Untroubled Heart~Week 6.5

***Sign up for our next Online Bible Study, I Used to Be So Organized, by Glynnis Whitwer, in the right hand column of my blog. To participate, all you need is the book, I Used to Be So Organized: Help for Reclaiming Order and Peace.

_________________________________

Here we are ladies, nearing the end of this study. Let’s finish strong. Let’s finish actively, not passively.  In other words, we have journeyed this far, praying for more faith and less fear.  Just take a look at our Power Verses so far. What have we learned? We’ve learned that the faith is there. God has provided it. Now it’s time for us to take the action and receive and believe it completely. It’s ours for the taking. Let’s access it.

Recap of Words of the Week and Memory Verses:

Week 1:  Words of the Week:  Power, Love, Self-Discipline.  Memory Verse:  For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.   2 Timothy 1:7  (NIV 1984)

Week 2:  Word of the Week: Faith. Memory Verse:  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.   Psalm 23:6  (NKJV)

Week 3:  Word of the Week: Obedience. Memory Verse:  Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.  Psalm 37:5-6  (NIV 1984)

Week 4:  Word of the Week: Trust. Memory Verse:  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.  John 3:16-17  (NIV)

Week 5:  Word of the Week:  Your Choice.  Memory Verse:  Your Choice.  (And by the way, you did a FABULOUS job with this!  A++++++)

Moving Forward.  We have 1 and a half weeks of study left in An Untroubled Heart.  In these Online Bible Studies, we don’t slow down or wimp out at the end. We don’t quit or give up either. We are strong, full of power, love and self-discipline. We are faithful in our calling, obeying God’s Word. We trust God to see us through. And we press on to the end of the race. We are Christian women, children of God, confident and strong. We have this because our Lord has given it to us. Say it with me, “Yes Lord, I take it. I receive what You have given me and I’m moving forward in faith.”  Go ahead, say it.  Out loud.

Week 6:  Word of the Week:

Abide

Memory Verse:

Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  John 15:4 (NIV)

Week 6.5: Word of the Week:

Courage

Memory Verse:

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

Suggested Assignments for the next week and a half:

Monday- Read Chapter 10, The Love of a Father.  Journal or highlight what stands out to you in this chapter. Share on my blog please, we can learn so much from each other.

Tuesday- Bible Study:  Know It–Stow It–Show It- Complete the questions at the end of Chapter 10.

Wednesday- Review. Skim Chapter 10 again. Finish the questions if you need to. What does it mean to abide in Jesus? How can we do that?  Please share on my blog.

Thursday- Read Chapter 11, Practicing His Presence. Journal and highlight awesome truths. How do you practice God’s presence?

Friday- Bible Study:  Know It–Stow It–Show It- Complete the questions at the end of Chapter 11.

Saturday- Review Chapter 11 and the questions.

____________

Monday- Read Chapter 12, Living with Courage. Journal and highlight what stands out about this chapter. Share with us on my blog!

Tuesday- Bible Study:  Know It–Stow It–Show It- Complete the questions at the end of Chapter 12.

Wednesday- Are you feeling courageous? How does Johua 1:9 empower you?

Thursday- Check my blog for a wrap up of this study.

And finally, last but not least, we have 3 winners from our Fearless Friday contest.  Everyone did such a great job, and as I’ve said before, I learned so much from you. Thank you to all who posted on my blog, Stephanie Clayton’s blog, and Glynnis Whiter’s blog.  Our winners are:  Lori Story, Robin, Still, and Ginny B.  Congratulations! You have won our next study book, I Used to Be So Organized by Glynnis Whitwer and a private call with me and Stephanie Clayton. We can’t wait to chat with you!  Email me at Melissa@MelissaTaylor.org with your mailing address, email address, and phone number so we can get it all set up!

Keep checking my blog this week, I still have lots to say and I bet you do too!

Blessings Y’all!  Love ya big!  <3

Comments

1. WOW!!!! This is the second time today He speaks to me about “COURAGE” AND “ABIDING”!!

I’ve been waiting for your assignment task this week!! SO WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!

Thanks Melissa!

2. This is something I shared with my group but I wanted to post it here as well. I’ve learned so much from this study and Chapter 10 was a big one for me. More of it is highlighted now than not. I feel God mending my broken heart…I’m excited for what is to come now and am not dwelling on my past so much! Thank you Melissa for bringing this study into my life…I’ve been blessed!

“You and I wear labels like badges as if they were truth.” – from Chap. 10 — I don’t know about you wonderful ladies here but I’ve definitely been labeled throughout my entire life, starting from the moment I arrived. Surprise!, strange, stupid, Amy Worthnothin’, fat, ugly, loser, 4 eyes, dropout, you got your Mrs. Degree, saccharin sweet (it wasn’t meant as a compliment), no one could love you, your useless, weird, oh, that’s just Amy (not a compliment again)…
    Being labeled hurts but I’m to the point that I give all of those labels over to God so He can make those labels disappear and in their place put what He wants in my life, not what others want from me, expect from me, or say to me. I know He’s already placed so many other labels, good labels in my life…much better ones than what negative people have labeled me, much better than what I thought was possible in my life. His Daughter, Born-Again Christian, mother, wife, daughter, sister, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, granddaughter, sweet, smart, lovely, beautiful, beloved…Beloved is a BIG one for me as Amy means beloved one. It’s like God is talking directly to me, even in the name my parent’s gave me….it’s the best thing I’ve felt in my life…that love that’s unconditional and that is not stupid, weird, strange, ugly, useless, and it’s definitely not unlovable.

• Amy, I could have been writing many of those ‘choice’ words myself. I love when I read another’s testimony that states how the Father has shifted their thinking and mended a heart.

Beloved is one of my favorites as well!

• Kristi S says:

Such a great truth there. Redefine yourself according to how God would label you. I needed to be reminded to let go and “give those labels over to God” and allow Him to remind me it’s ONLY about what “He wants in my life, not what others want from me, expect from me or say to me.” Thank you so much for sharing Amy!

• Thank you Danielle & Kristi…your responses were a blessing to me! :-)

• Melissa S. says:

Oh if I could get rid of the labels that still come into my mind that I had put to rest so many years ago. Amy, I applaud you. What you wrote spoke to me. I wish I had your mentality so many years ago when I was talked to like I wasn’t worthy anything…I could have avoided so much regret. Bless you girl!

3. Kristi S says:

This book has blessed me immensely and Chapter 10 was phenomenal. The pages of my book are all shades of orange, pink and other miscellaneous colors and there are absolutely NO margins left. I felt a peace overwhelm me as I read p. 191-193. God “validates” me. Who knew that I would need those words when I got home? God was preparing me-By abiding in Him Sunday afternoon, I had the courage to give some grace in a situation where I could have fallen apart. My body is not having the best reaction today but it’s great to know that God is with me even more when the storm comes. He has provided before and He will provide again…Words I never would have said before I made FAITH my guide.
    Here’s what I posted yesterday in my groups…

“A Missed Blessing” and “A Blessing Received is a Blessing
    Owned” just opened up the floodgates for me. Such a turning point of
    recognition for me and I praise Jesus for His healing. “If love and
    acceptance were not communicated to you…and if no one recognized or
    uncovered your potential, the results could be devastating..’Does who
    I am or anything I do really matter to anyone?’”

I grew up with parents who did accept me and always spoke blessings
    into my life. I think that is why I had the confidence to get on stage
    and sing or just be myself and know that I could do anything.
    Until…my first abusive relationship…after that point…I continuously spent my life trying to “earn” blessings or searching for it in MORE abusive relationships.” It was a cycle and it was truly “devastating.” It was gradual but those thoughts eventually tore apart the “house of cards” that I had so masterfully constructed on a pile of sand. I hardly spoke because I was afraid that I would say the wrong thing. That’s how I started these bible studies. Reading but never commenting. Praying but not asking for prayer. God has slowly allowed me to find boldness in Him.

“Whether or not you received a blessing from your parents (or other
    individuals in your life), you can receive it from God. In turn, YOU
    can ALSO bless OTHERS.” And, what I think is MOST IMPORTANT for all of us::: “OUR WORDS HAVE THE POWER TO EITHER BLESS OR CURSE ANOTHER”…

• So glad your found your boldness, Kristi. What we would be missing if you hadn’t!

• “I hardly spoke because I was afraid that I would say the wrong thing. ” This is me in a nutshell…trying to break free from my shell. 😀
      I had an abusive and controlling friendship as I grew up (so much so she kept other kids who threatened her away from me by bad-mouthing me behind my back and making up lies so I would be isolated) and by reading this book it brought that to the forefront so I prayed about it, and I’m trusting God to heal those hurts. It’s made me the way I am (not trusting of others motives) and now that I realize that & prayed about it…I hope to break down those walls with God’s grace leading me.
      I’m glad to hear you are breaking down yours! It encourages me that it’s possible! :-)

• Melissa S. says:

Kristi,

Good for you to break the cycle! It’s so hard to feel that way! I had a low self-esteem for so many years and entered into a relationship that I felt I just HAD to stay in because no one else would love me! I did anything for him and I hate to think it, but I’m pretty sure he knew I would. He would say things that made me feel so worthless…and he had no problem treating me that way in front of other people and allowing them to talk down to me as well.
      I look back on that time with such regret and wish that I had just realized that it didn’t matter if he loved me or not because God LOVES me! Had I just trusted in His plan that there was someone else out there for me, I could have saved myself SO MUCH heartache and regret! It was quite a lesson learned!
      Kristi–good for you for building yourself up on a better foundation! You’re awesome!

4. I read chapter 10 last night & let me just say Wow! What an amazing chapter! It helped me a lot to see just how much God really loves us. That’s always been one of my biggest struggles, just believing that I’m worth it to somebody, that kind of unconditional love. God’s love totally amazes me! To only have a love so big & forgiving to all. That would be something. This chapter came at the absolute perfect time for me! I’m so glad I have been reminded through this chapter of just how great & forgiving God’s love is. No denying it, I am loved & so are you!

• Kristi S says:

I’m so happy for you Tricia. Chapter 10 was great, wasn’t it? You have blessed me so much over the short period of time that I’ve known you. Always encouraging others. And, I’m so happy to see you begin to realize how much you deserve to feel loved. Love you girl!

5. Melissa,
    Thank you for a sweeeeet time! I think I will have to pass on this next study, but I will look forward to the next one after that!
    You are blessed – and have shared that blessing of yourself with all of us!
    Thanks – and I look forward to this fresh chapter in life, standing on His Promises, which are NEW EVERY MORNING! A renewed faith, that only abides in HIM! For that I am grateful, beyond what words can express!
    If you and I lived close, we’d have to do a week worth of coffee clutching to show you how I’ve overcome loosing so much in my life; yet I still am waiting on a HUGE answer, in which the clock is ticking away – and when I start getting anxious, I stop – and pray – get into a few Faith scriptures, and worship Him; Immediatly, when that focus is on Him – that ugly turn-style in my tummy leaves! He is truly amazing! Praise His Holy Name! – and I get to call him Papa! — Sweet!!!! —

• Kristi S says:

God is good! I will be praying that God will step into your life and answer that prayer in a way that will glorify Him. And, it’s such a blessing to see how your life has changed. So glad that you will be back with us for “Unglued”!!! Pop over and say “Hi” anytime. Your words were truly encouraging to me. God bless!

• Melissa S. says:

Kristi,

What’s Unglued? Is that another study? Fill me in 😉

• Kelly K says:

Is Unglued another Bible Study. Where do we sign up?

• Well, girls, I have committed to join the new study !!!
          – life seems to be a bit “unorganized” – and that is putting in mildly; Ironically as I sat reading the new comments as we finish up this weeks study, I was seeking the Lord whether I should commit to this study; It’s not that I don’t want to, it’s just we are moving etc and I have no clue to where, how – or what will work out;
          Then it “hit” me – the study is on being “organized” – (and I have a bit more tendency to be A type, and organized, so I didn’t want to start a study group and not be able to keep up or get way behind due to the move etc); But what did we just study? Faith. God has been teaching me just this for the past two years as my life has become unraveled, this study just made it all blossom!
          I know that I know HE IS doing a new thing – I don’t have it all together, and organized – but for me I think I have to take the step – of FAITH – and TRUST he IS working it out – and will not leave me astray, a mess – alone – and organized. So, Taking the stand – and trusting Him to provide me the time, and all that is needed as I venture into this next phase of life!

6. “If…you’ve discovered that not all people love sincerely, and you’ve been hurt the good news is, no matter what you’ve done or what’s been done to you, you have a heavenly Father and you can cry out “Daddy” anytime, anyplace, anywhere.”

I am so thankful for a heavenly father that loves me as my earthly father never could. Grateful that I am able to abide in that love, and indebted to Him for always being with me, providing his strength when I needed it, comfort when I longed for it, and for being with me always.

Thank you Melissa for the book, you have no idea how these studies, and the gift of the next study book, has blessed me.

7. i would like to object to this last post. I am not quite ready for this study to end. Actually maybe we should go back over everything for the next few weeks. Its too early. I am not sure I got everything I need to gain from this study and the ladies who have gone through this study with me. Actually, that whole fear thing we have been talking about is even more real now that we are about to end this study. What do you say lets extend this for six more weeks.

8. http://pinterest.com/pin/221520875391496225/

Verse of the week pin on pinterest.

9. How do I abide in Jesus? Well, for one thing I imagine a vineyard. I see the main grapevine and I imagine myself as a branch, clinging to the main vine. This helps me to stay focused on Christ in my mind. Then how do I do it in a practical way? I am in the Word morning and night, even if it is for a few minutes…or reading Micca’s book, or Jesus calling. Something to put into my mind. The other tool I use is index cards with verses. i have them on my desk at work, in my purse and in my car…

10. Heather M says:

I love Micca’s sentence “Abiding is about seeking God for as long as it takes to connect with Him.” That sooooo resonates with me. I am an extremely task oriented person who loves “to do” lists. I can get a lot done, but it’s so often just surface stuff…..slowing down my brain to simply abide in God and deepen my relationship with Him is next to impossible.

But I’m learning, through this study, that memorizing these scripture verses….actually saying them out loud throughout the day….helps me to get off the surface, checklist level and bring God’s word into my heart. “As long as it takes to connect with Him” means I need to do more than read a morning devotion and pray before dinner. I need to seek Him in as many ways as I can and as often as I can.

11. Something that really struck me in chapter ten and that hasn’t let me go yet– page 186 “but broken is always the right place to be when we’re reaching out for Christ’s love and forgiveness.”

For me, being broken, vulnerable–weak–has always been something that I despised in myself. I don’t know where the thought came from that I had to always be strong. Well, that’s not true. I do know. I hated feeling vulnerable as a child, and because of circumstances that happened, that made me feel powerless, I chose to become strong. (Or so I liked to have thought.) I hated feeling like someone else could determine what happened with my life, like they had power over me. Power to hurt more. So, I figured, if I became strong in mind and body, I wouldn’t be effected. *sigh* What messed up thinking.

Coming to realize that in my weakness, God is moving me to true strength–has been so freeing. Finding freedom in vulnerability is not something I thought would or could happen. But when I turn to Christ in those times, He enfuses me with the strength I need to do what needs to be done. No matter what it is.

12. Lynn Graham says:

What does it mean to abide in Jesus?
    ( answer ) it means waiting upon the Lord and entering into his peace.

How can we do that?
    ( answer ) by bearing spiritual fruit, hearing the word and keeping it in your heart, and loving Jesus and doing what he says.

13. kim johnston says:

This study has been so wonderful I hate to see it end, but I am so thankful that God led me to this study. I am less fearful than I was, but still a work in progress. I have tried to be strong for too long, when all along God was saying ” You are not alone, I am here.” I am abiding in His presence and trusting Him for strength.

I have had a lot of trials with a divorce, a single parent trying to provide, and a chronic health issue that is threatening my ability to provide, but God is there and I am trusting Him more than before. I am so glad that He is the vine and I am the branch. I don’t know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future and who is holding me now!

I abide in Him and He lives in me, but I feel like at times I am saying ” Lord, but I have fought the good fight and look what has happened.” All the while He is saying it wasn’t your fight to fight.” I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” I am not sure why I am at this place in my life, but God knew I would be here. I am holding on for dear life, to the one who gave life to me