Jul 27

Bed, Bath, and Keep it Real Y’all

We are moving right along and can I share a secret with you?  I haven’t organized one thing since we started!  But I’ve made some great notes in my notebook. And I feel good about it, wanna know why?  I’m keepin’ it real!

I knew when we started this, it would be about more than organizing spaces. I wanted to be realistic, take it slow, and grow during this process. I desired order of life more than a clean and neat home.  Oh, believe me, my home needs clean and neat, but that’s just part of it.  So, as we move forward, don’t despair if you are still working on certain areas. Soak up the information and tuck it away. Use it when you are ready.  Keep it real y’all.  Changing our lives won’t happen in a one book study. It takes time.

My friend and professional organizer, Eileen Koff, knows this well. Just today I had a phone conversation with her.  She said to me, “it’s NEVER about the stuff…it’s about our ‘relationship’ with our stuff and time that causes disorganization.”  She’s right!  And it takes time.  Eileen has helped one of our very own Bible study members and she is going to share with us in our next conference call next Monday night. She is fabulous and will help us to keep it real. If you are interested, you can sign up here. You will love this call! (And all the rest of them! They are all recorded so you won’t miss a thing!)

So ladies, as we proceed through the next chapter, remember, we are gaining knowledge to be implemented in it’s own time.

Friday Assignment:

Read Chapter 17, Beautiful Bedrooms and Baths.  Glynnis shares some great ideas, my favorite being the section on jewelry! That’s my problem area in my bedroom!  So read Chapter 17, take some good notes, and highlight important info to revisit later.

Do you know our memory verse this week?  There is nothing more important than the Word of God. My sweet friends, do you know how little it matters if we are unorganized if we don’t hide God’s Word in our hearts?  That’s where it all starts.

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”   John 6:35

I love this verse. When we have Jesus, we have all we need.  :)

Since it’s Friday, it’s a Glynnis day~yay!  So, head on over to visit her. She has some “home” work for you that you will love  <3  Love us some Glynnis!

Have a great weekend!  And enjoy reading about the Bed and Bath…and remember to Keep it Real Y’all!

Hugs!

Comments

1. DebbieK says:

Thank you so much for this encouragement today! I really needed it. I’ve been reading and keeping up with the study, making great notes, but I was feeling a little discouraged because life this summer has kept me from actually doing the organizing that I was hoping to do along the way also. I loved your quote “Remember, we are gaining knowledge to be implemented in its own time.” Great reminder!

2. Melissa, thanks for reminding us to “keep it real”!! The cleaning I’ve been doing has been in my spirit. God has been showing me some housekeeping I need to do in my heart. It’s been a rough process, but I praise Him for loving me enough to bring things to my attention and to deal with them properly through Him. Our God is a GREAT God and I love Him with my whole heart and want to be the girl He wants me to be!!! <3

• Donna B says:

Love the spirit cleaning comment and the heart housekeeping comment ….working on my heart and spirit as well! Thanks for sharing.

• Rachel B. says:

Anita!!!! I’m so with you-I was so blindsided by all the clutter in my heart I have been ignoring and hiding! Don’t you feel so much more hopeful? So much of my frustration before was the totally not true and selfish thought that I was already doing all I could and getting nowhere. No. I was packing myself so full of obligations that I couldn’t see the forest for the trees! I had no idea what God wanted me to be doing, and I was getting nowhere because I didn’t know where I was headed in the first place!! eeeeek! It’s most definitely a process, but what an enormous weight has been lifted just being able to see some of the challenges that need to be overcome :) Praying for your continued growth and “decluttering” <3

• Spirit cleaning, that’s where all of us should start…the rest really doesn’t matter without that. Thanks for sharing Anita :)

3. Donna B says:

Hey Melissa!!!

Thank you so muchfor your honesty!! I am right there with you on the organization part …. in His time my closets will get organized …. probably when I break down and decide to peel out the big bucks for some much needed new carpet ….

Can’t wait for the call on Monday night! Excited to hear Eileen ….love this comment from her ….. “She said to me, “it’s NEVER about the stuff…it’s about our ‘relationship’ with our stuff and time that causes disorganization.” She’s right! And it takes time.”

I so get that …. for me my time at home and in town with my friends is limited. And honestly, I would rather be out and about investing in the lifes of my friends than I would be cleaning out my closets. Me …I am all about my friends and family and not so much the tasks. And the best part …I am ok with that because it’s how God wired me.

Love you ….love your realness …..and thanks for all you do! Can’t wait to hear your voice on the call…love your prayers!

4. Rachel B. says:

Thank you for being so open about your experiences during the study! Pulling out some of the hardness in my heart has been so healing (after the sadness and guilt of finding it so firmly trenched in there passed!). Clarity about how to move forward emotionally and physically is worth more than I can say, even some of the physical organizing is done in the weeks and months ahead! Thanks SO much to all the ladies making this study go, and a big thanks to Glynnis for writing the book God knew so many of us needed :)

• Rachel,
      I wish I could give you a big ole hug! I’m so proud of you for working on the cleaning of your heart~that’s not easy especially when we have some tough stuff there. Take it slow.
      Thank you for doing this online study with us!

5. Thanks Melissa for being real, you always help me see things in a new and better way- God’s Way! Later in Aug I will be going to college full time and if any of y’all have been to school you know how much paper is accumulated. So I will be taking this book with me and using the tips to organize my dorm and keep it organized while I take classes. Being in a dorm is not going to give me lots of space – so having this book and the ideas came at the perfect time. I love God’s timing.

• Debra,
      Blessings to you as you go to college! Lucky! I loved college. You are right, there usually isn’t much room in a dorm, hopefully you can implement a lot of the ideas in the book.

6. Good morning ladies! I bought this book to inspire me….or rather kick me in the bum…to get more organized in my home. And I have a wee bit. But what’s really been happening is God is organizing my heart as well. I had been in a very bad friendship that really left me hurting, and hating, but I feel like God is healing that hurt and making it possible for me to forgive this person. I never thought I could say that. What a blessing! NOTHING is impossible with God. :)

• Debra,
      This is awesome! I think what God is doing in your heart is way more important that what happens in organizing your home. I’m thankful you feel some resolution beginning to take place as you forgive the person you write about. That forgiveness will set you free.

7. Hi ladies!!

I absolutely love this book!! God knew I needed it and all of you! Thank you so much, girls!

I have gotten behind due to She Speaks preparation, so I am actually going to start over in my reading so I do not miss a thing. I have printed out all of the notes and will make new ones of my own! I absolutely sticking with y’all each day, so do not think I am running away. There are just so many rich nuggets in this book and study that I do not want to miss anything.

You all have a BLESSED weekend, and I will chat with you gals on Monday!

Blessings,
    Lara <

• Lara,
      Many of us have gotten behind and that’s ok. This is the kind of book that we learn from and implement in time. Thanks for sticking with it!

Did you just love She Speaks? We are still coming down off of our She Speaks high in the P31 office!

8. Kandace says:

Thank you so much Melissa for being honest. It was really encouraging to know you haven’t organized anything yet! I have been getting discouraged because I haven’t done much yet. I love this book! It is definitely one that will be read again. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with an all or nothing kinda mentality. If I can’t clean the WHOLE house, I am not doing any of it! I can feel things changing…. but haven’t gotten to too much of the physical stuff yet. Awesome to know I am not alone and thank you for the re-assurance that it is all in His time!

9. Kandace,
    I so get what you are saying. I used to be an “all or nothing” person. I’ve changed because I got tired of having “nothing!” Now I try to be more realistic and I really battle comparing myself to others…not a good thing to do!
    Get close to God, ask Him to work in your heart, then get your to do list ready to conquer! In that order :) Love you girl! Thanks for all of your encouragement to me too!

10. oh Melissa- I love that you do keep it real. I’m doing a little here and there with the book. I’m making lots of highlights and notes and I do plan to put them into action. I have been doing some things. Below is a something I just posted on our groups facebook page this morning. I was feeling a bit frustrated and then God got all in my face this week! And THEN I read Chapter 17 and God used Glynnis to step all over my toes too! LOVE it when He works this way.
    ***************************************************************************************************
    Ok ladies-confession time. I’ve been trying really hard to keep our kitchen area clean. Mostly working on keeping the counters and table clutter free. It’s not been easy because it’s just so easy to dump stuff there.

Anyway, I was really getting frustrated because DH (dear husband) hadn’t noticed or if he has he hasn’t commented on it. I mean, I was seriously getting a bit tick. But then God placed Colossians 3:23-24 heavily on my heart and I was reminded that I’m not doing this for my husbands glory or any one else’s.

“23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

11. Stephanie W says:

Thanks for keeping it real now I don’t feel bad that my summer is almost over and I haven’t done much! I have made great notes of things I plan to implement. I’ve got to remind myself to take baby steps, otherwise I will get super frustrated and loose my temper with my family, then do absolutely nothing for long periods of time…

12. Kesha M. says:

Thanks Melissa for keeping it real. It helps me to know I am not alone. I have to remind myself that this is a process and for me a marathon not a sprint, because I tend to get overwhelmed, frustrated and then stop. I so want to not only get my house in order, but more importantly I want my spirit to be in order. Thanks for reminding me that it’s okay that I haven’t organized as much as I would have liked to. I am learning so much from this study and making notes, marking pages in my book, etc. I am on my way and feeling more encouraged.