Jul 31

Thankful in All Things

Like I told you yesterday, I’m not feeling great…or even good. My head is clogged with gunk making it hard to breathe.  Almost all of us in the P31 office are sickly this week.  :(

I also learned yesterday that my dad’s wife only has a little bit of time left on this earth. She went to the hospital last week because she wasn’t feeling well. One week later, she has a stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis and she’s in a hospice facility and will never return to the house she calls home again. Life is not so pleasant right now. When I made Week 8’s Suggested Assignments and posted them on Sunday, I had no idea that I’d be writing about such things today. The assignment however is staying the same.

Today, let’s just take a breather.  Yep, how about a day of rest?  Focus on what’s good in your life. Give thanks for it. Find someone to encourage today. Spread some good Jesus love, everyone can use more of that!  Report back here and share what you did, let’s praise together!

I think it’s pretty cool that God would know I needed a little rest today.  Maybe you do too.

Do you think you can handle this?  I know some of us have to work (me included) but let’s try to keep our focus on what’s good today and be thankful.  Will you join me?

Comments

1. Lamina Schultz says:

Totally agree with you. Lifting you and the office up in prayer for healing of the head cold and comfort for your dad and you, and for your dads wife that she may be in no pain. Life is so fragile, so fast, so easily taken. Its time for giving thanks. HUGS

2. Christa says:

Praying for you and your family, Melissa. Thank you for leading the conference call last night in midst of all that. It was really a blessing!

• Christa, I’m so glad you liked the call. Thank you for speaking up on the call :) I was blessed by the call as well, I love having so many of us on the phone at the same time!

3. jackie s says:

Praying for you Melissa – and for your dad’s wife – what a terrible shock. Praying for peace, strength, and no pain. Praying that your cold gets better quickly so that you can feel rested and be with your family.

4. Melissa praying for you, your dad and family. Life is tough and we get caught off guard at times at what life throws us, but we have God to cling to in those times. May God’s strength and peace be with you all at this time. On a positive note..I really enjoyed the conference call last night…got a lot of nuggets! Hugs!!

5. Lisa V. says:

Oh man! That’s just awful news about your step mom. I’m sorry Melissa . I hope your dad is ok but I suppose how can he be? A day of rest is soooo on order. I started a new daily routine yesterday and stuck to the plan except this morning I feel like a truck hit me and feeling all out of sorts. Life. Thanks for extending the grace you have to us all in your last posts about not having it all together despite doing the I Used to Be So Organized study. What a huge relief a lot of us are in the same boat. The study is awesome. I’m learning so much. Melissa I’ll be praying for your step mom along with what sadly seems like a long list of people in my life that are going through some tougher than usual stuff this week. Indeed I am thankful for my health. Love xoxo.

6. Lisa V. says:

And praying you feel better!

7. So sorry, Melissa. You have been such a blessing to so many. We are praying for strength, energy and comfort for your Dad and his wife and your whole family.

8. Jesus, you are the alpha and omega. Thank you for making “the” way when there seems to be no way. Father, I ask you today for your Devine intervention in Melissa’s family. I trust your plan though I don’t understand it. Bring peace and understanding in this difficult time. Lord, apply your healing power liberally. Do what only you can do. In Jesus’ name. Amen. Melissa, in the name of Jesus, I speak health to your body, peace to your mind and refreshing to your spirit. I bless you to provide strength when you cannot stand, joy when all you know to do is cry, and wisdom in the midst of chaos.

• Wendy, thank you sooooooo much! I prayed with you as I read your prayer~”In Jesus’ Name~ that’s enough and all I need. Blessings to you today~

9. I am so sorry to hear of all your woes today. I pray that you, your family, and all the people of P31 will recover rapidly from your illnesses. May there be peace in your family as you deal with the cancer. My dad died of lung cancer and I know how hard it is to watch those you love suffer. Remember Jesus’ words, “Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.” Cling to the promise that you will all be reunited where no pain or sickness can enter in. You have been such a blessing to my life. God bless you always.

10. Sherri G says:

Melissa, I pray for healing for you, peace and comfort for your family.

Yesterday, a lady in my church woke up but her 46 year-old husband did not. We truly never know what the next moment will bring.

Hugs,

11. Lynne Gann says:

I think we all can attest to losing someone unexpectedly, mine was a dear brother-in-law within 2 days at the hospital. Sometimes it gets hard to take it all in & you definitely need some down time to process all that is going on. The one thing I will say is that is always reminds me of God’s purpose in this world & that I need to be testifying about & glorifying His name. Too many times when God has prompted me I have squashed His prompting & not obeyed His leading. You may only get that one chance so say what needs to be said & do what needs to be done today!! Praying for your renewed strength on wings of eagles!!

12. Debbie Williams says:

Get better Melissa. I’m a little sluggish too with something – head, dizzy and cold sweats. I enjoyed the conference call last night. Got lots more head work to do and especially letting go of STUFF. Praying for you and all of your family. So sorry for your dad’s wife. A reminder to all of us that tomorrow is not promised and we need to live every day like it is our last because it could be and “make the time matter”. Thank you for giving us your time thru all you are dealing with right now. You are touching so many lives!

13. Kandace says:

He is awesome isn’t he? Knowing you would need a break today. Get some rest. I am praying for you and your family.

14. Breinny says:

Lord, I thank you for this glorious day, and that You have led us to be intentional about seeking thankfulness. Thank you, God, for Melissa and the fine ladies at P31 ministries who continually turn their hearts to You through the trials of this world. Thank you for teaching them boldness and transparency, for it is in those moments of fragile vulnerability and honesty that we see Your hand at work…and we are blessed with encouragement and hope for our own hearts. God bless each of us with Your closeness today – nudge us in the stillness of our souls with love and direction, counsel and wisdom, that we may reflect Your grace and love in this world more brightly! Bring peace and comfort to Melissa’s family in this sudden season of change…and may Your hand be upon her ailing step-mom. In the name of our incredible Savior Jesus…Amen.

15. Lynn B. says:

Will surely be lifting up all of you throughout the day! Am asking the Lord to speak His words of “peace be still” into each of the storms! I am so incredibly thankful for your words of encouragement and “pressing on” in this study – especially your reminder to “keep it real”! I have been learning to look to Him and follow His lead not placing expectations on myself or others that He does not place upon us!! May the God of all comfort hold you close throughout this day!

16. Lynn, I’m so happy to read this from you!!!! Thank you God that you are looking to Him and not others or expectations to fill you :) Thank you for your prayers too!

17. Praying for comfort for you and your family during this difficult time. May His arms be wrapped around each of you in love and open to accept your dad’s wife into heaven when the time comes.

18. Jennifer Sider says:

I wish I could after yesterday’s events- but I’ll slow down and recover and put work in while I can. I think I am more emotionally drained, but I did get a blessing, well another one last night…Bill asked to see pictures of the wounds/glue so I sent them. His reply was “Jesus!” (forgive him Lord for taking your name in vain) so then he called and asked if Bridgett wanted to come home and sleep in her bed. He jumped into Daddy mode :). Haven’t seen that for a LONG time. AMEN!

19. Well that is something to be thankful for!

20. So sorry, Melissa. Praying for you and your family, that God would give you strength and peace for the journey ahead. And that He would fill you to overflowing so all those around you would continue to find more of Him through your life ministry.

I am spending today with my mom, sister, and nieces and remembering to be thankful for every moment.

21. Karen Barkley says:

Melissa, I lost my dad last month in a motorcycle accident. I pray for God’s peace and comfort for your family. I rested on the fact that God holds everyone of my tears in his hand. May he give you strength to get through the coming days, and may you feel his ever presence. Much love from your sister in Christ.

22. Karen, I’m so sorry about your dad :( Thank you for your prayers and sweet words. Means a lot to me.

23. Praying for all of you at P31 also for you and your family Melissa. I’ve had a reminder that life is precious and oh so fleeting this past week with the sudden death of my Uncle. Seeing the ones we love so sad is hard but I know the Lord will take care of them and show us His love. Love & Prayers!

24. Brittany Jacobson says:

Hey Melissa your Not alone in this my family is going through the same thing with my granpa he is on hospice care right now but I ran into this verse that Iam keeping with me that i hope helps you

revelations 20 verse 6 the seconed death holds no power but they will be preists of God and of christ and will reign with him for a thousand years .

let me pray for you Melissa , Lord jesus we come before you we lift up melissa i pray that you would give her verses and encourging words and songs to prepare her how to handle whats going to happen if it be in your will i ask for complete healing of this person lord amen

25. Dear Melissa ~

I’m not usually a commenter because I know myself to be very “wordy”. Today I am resting as well from a rough weekend & feel your cold all the way down here in the deep south of Memphis, TN. My way of resting is to catch up on emails that give me so much encouragement and help me grow in the Lord – like yours.

I’m praying for a speedy & thorough recovery for you, your family, & the other workers in your office. I pray that you will be in good health so that you can minister to your dad & step-mom, and all of her family at this stunning and scary time. I pray for God’s peace to reside on her and all of her loved ones.

I pray that God has placed her into the hands of a compassionate & skilled medical staff. I pray she will be physically comfortable & pain-free for the rest of her days.

I pray that if she doesn’t yet know Jesus, that God will open her eyes to see His Glory before she breathes her last breath, so that she may come to know Him as her Savior.

I pray that if she already walks with the Lord, He will give her soul-comfort, peace, and a strong anticipation of seeing Jesus face-to-face.

I lift up your Dad for peace that passes ALL understanding.

From my heart ~ Jackie

• Kristi Seat says:

Jackie. What a beautiful prayer. I pray it alongside you. God wants to use you. I know I can be “wordy” as well but continue to follow that nudge. Your words speak truth and promise into others’ lives. What a blessing you are!

26. Kristi Seat says:

*I’d like to pray for you, Melissa as well as all of our study sisters*
    Dear Lord,
    I want to thank you that in all things we can praise you. At the bottom of everything, you are always there. We may not understand your ways but we can trust in Your goodness. Dear Lord, please be with Melissa. Heal her body and strengthen her soul. Surround her family with Your love and comfort each day. Let them feel Your presence in a mighty way each day. You are Our Healer, Our Comforter, Our Peace, Our Joy. Allow them to cherish each moment that they have with each other. This time will be tough but speak into their hearts when they are weak or weary and help them to fix their eyes on You. To feel Your love and peace even on the hardest days.

Thank you dear Lord for Your hand on these studies and bless each woman who comes to these pages. Heal their hearts and bring them closer to You. You know every need and every hurting heart. Bind us together in love and community. Let us continue to seek You. Use each one of us to be a light to this hurting world. I want to thank you for Jackie stepping out in faith and praying such a beautiful prayer. Let us use her example to be bold in Your name and to use our unique gifts for Your glory. Let us not compare but encourage and love each other.

Lastly, I ask that you surround these pages with your protection. Satan wants to keep us weak and feeble. With so many women desperate for Your love, we know that He will attack each of us personally. I ask that You keep our eyes fixed on You even in the darkest moments because there we will find a faith that will be stronger than any of the Devil’s tactics. I ask all of these things in Your precious name dear Jesus. Amen

• Teresa C. says:

Kristi,
      Your beautiful prayer made me cry! Thank you for sharing!

• Kristi ~ Amen and Amen. Like Teresa, your prayer made me weep. My heart is full – of burden for Melissa & her family – and full of an overwhelming sense of “Family” as I listen to the prayers of so many, from far and wide loving on her in the best way they can – through prayer & faith that “God is our God, He is the Faithful God!” (Deu 7:9)

Despite the very hard & sometimes vicious things that happen in our lives – as is occurring in Melissa’s family at this time – God is so gracious to give us one another to lean on & lift each other up in prayer. You are all amazing women and you inspire me to love Jesus more and more. ~ Jackie

“The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.” Nahum 1:7 (NIV 1984)

27. Sue Cox says:

Sweet Sister Melissa we are lifting you up in prayer during this “time” in your life. Your step mom and dad are in our thoughts and prayers during this time. i pray for peace and no pain as your step mom walks this “cancer” walk. I hope each of you get to spend some treasured time before our Lord calls her home. I pray for God’s healing touch on your back and cold and for his healing touch with all the staff at Proverbs 31. God is so good and is there carrying us when we cannot carry the weight. Thank you for all the encouragement and lift praying prayers you share with us each day. I pray you’ll rest in the Lord’s care. Amen

28. Jeanie kelley says:

Lifting you up in prayer today because of your mom. Hope your family is all well. Spend the precious time with your mom. The one thing that I learned with my dad passing on in ’09 is to tell them as much as possible that you love them. Spend the time with them. That was the things I regretted with my dad. 1. I never told him good bye and 2. I rarely said I love you to him. I had to work through this and am now better for it. Always remember to tell your loved ones you love them. This is sharing the gospel to them hugely.

29. Melissa,
    My prayers go out to you. I understand how hard it is when a loved one finds out that they have stage 4 lung cancer. It is one that really does sneak up on you. Even though it is a tough thing to go through, God uses it to bring many blessing also during that time. My brother committed his life to Christ during his battle with lung cancer. It can really be a time of drawing nearer to loved ones. You also have a whole community of believers praying for you during that time which is really a neat thing. Enjoy as much as you can this day. God provides very wonderfully. You are a blessing in leading this Bible Study.

30. Teresa C. says:

Although I just read this post, I was thinking, “There has to be some way I blessed someone today…” Well, my son and I took a desk of ours to my new teacher friend’s school. She didn’t have a teacher desk so she is going to have one now. I think that counts as a blessing! ; ) Of course, doing things for other people always ends up blessing us more than others.

31. I regret to hear your sad news… However, I must tell you this…
    I signed up for this study a good while back (months ago) not
    Knowing that I would not have the time to read the first one of them…
    The other morning, I was getting ready for work & this happened to
    Be the first one that I read. The Lord is SCREaMING at me in a HUGE way to
    Quit smoking!!!! Could you guys please pray for me? Please pray that
    He will mold my mind to the point it needs to be to demolish this horrible addiction?!
    Thank you ladies & I will be reading as often as possible now!!!
    May God bless each of you!!!