Sep 24

Imperfect Progress~ Unglued, Week 1,Tuesday

Review if You Need It

If you are just now joining us, you have a little bit of catching up to do.  Here are the 2 Unglued OBS messages already posted this week.  Please check them out if you haven’t already:

Sunday:  Week 1 Assignments and Information

Monday:  Unglued~ Imperfect Progress Monday

Today~

Conference Call info Click right here!

Hopefully by now, you’ve read Chapter 1 of Unglued, Imperfect Progress.  Now it’s time to dig into it.

Reflection & Discussion:

Answer these questions in your notebook. Select one to share with the group in the comment section. (If you receive this post via email, click here to go directly to the blog and leave a comment.)

1.  “What kept me from making changes was the feeling I wouldn’t do it perfectly. I knew I’d still mess up and the changes wouldn’t come instantly.”  ~ Unglued, p. 14

How does this statement by Lysa resonate with you?  Do you relate?  Explain.

2.  Do you have setbacks in your life that are keeping you from moving forward?  Do you believe that you are worthy of a do-over…again?

3. What do you think about “imperfect progress?”  Are you okay in knowing that we aren’t seeking a quick fix?  That change takes a while?

4.  Do you trust God?  Why or why not?

5. Get your Bible and look up the Memory Verse for Chapter 1.

Hebrews 12:1b NIV84

… let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

To run the race that God has set before us, we must also strip off the excess weight that slows us down. How can we do that?

The Christian life involves hard work. It requires us to give up whatever endangers our relationship with God, to run with endurance, and to struggle against sin with the power of the Holy Spirit.  Is there anything endangering your relationship with God?  What do you need to do to live effectively?

6.  What are the key points in Chapter 1?

Winners of Conference Calls

Saquonna Wheeler, email beginning saquonnariley

Mari, email beginning cnsun12

Megan Stedjan, email beginning meganstedjan

Congrats! Email Angie@Proverbs31.org and give her your information (full email and phone number). She will send you the conference call information. Conference Calls begin Wednesday at 8 pm EST. You will love them! They are a great asset to the study!

Give Aways!

Our guest this week on our Conference Call is Deborah Smith Pegues. She is a dynamic woman who knows something about relationships. I am honored today to be giving away 2 of her books! Visit her website, http://www.confrontingissues.com, click About Deborah and then click “Free Download Fear Fighting Scripture Collection.”  Come back here and let me know you did that and you will be entered to win one of Deborah’s books. I’m giving away 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue and 30 Days to Taming Your Emotions.

I love y’all! If you are feeling “Imperfect” then you have come to the right place! We are making progress…imperfect progress.

Thanks to all who commented yesterday and I look forward to reading what you have to say today!

Much Love!

Comments

1. I chose question 4.) Do you trust God? why or why not? I would like to say that I trust God 100% but doubt still creeps in and sometimes I am afraid to completely trust that he knows best because I want to be in control of my own life and not surrender to him.

• I have the same issue of doubt creeping in at times. I am a control freak and I hate that I struggle so much with surrender…its a minute by minute action some days.

• Ajeenah Gayhardt says:

I understand where you are coming from…you have to let God stretch your faith, become vulnerable which I know is hard for us control freaks. Remember how blessed you are and the favor God has over your life. I’m learning to let go and let God, know He has our back. I believe doubt comes from the devil to throw us off our game. Push past, push through. When the doubt comes say the devil is a liar! I’m excited what God is doing and what He is going to do over the course of this bible study. I’m a newly saved Christian and I’m looking forward to what He has for me, for us as a community. Love and Peace

2. Mine is #2. This first chapter was more of an eye opener. I could feel something was wrong but this allowed me to start seeing. I want to makes changes in my life. I ask God to help me. Afterwards, I feel fresh and renewed and strong enough to begin! Then I mess up, no instant quick change and I feel like I’m taking steps backwards instead of forwards. Ugh! Now I feel like I didn’t hear God right or maybe I’m going off on my own without Him or maybe I just can’t do it. I’ve done this for so long, I feel like my whole life is not but discontentment. Its a vicious cycle and I don’t know how to break it. – That’s why I’m taking the study; I hope to find a way out of this.

3. Thanks…I donwloaded the scripture verses

4. Julie Jones says:

I know I’m late, but I have downloaded and printed the fear fighting scripture collection.

I got behind earlier in the week due to things going on after work, but trying to get caught up so that I’ll be ready for week 2 on Sunday.

5. I downloaded the fear fighting scripture collection

6. Responding to several questions at one time:
    Change is hard and not immediate, it’s so easy for me to give up! Set backs are often as I just get caught up in life and am too tired to put forth the effort!
    I trust God 100% and know he will bring me through as he has many times, because I know he’s with me, I often get complacent!

7. Lucy morales says:

2. Do you have setbacks in your life that are keeping you from moving forward? Do you believe that you are worthy of a do-over…again?
    I feel like this question pertains to me. I feel unglued in the sense that it is caused by others who are unglued. For the most part I am an easy going person who doesn’t get angry quickly. Is that wrong maybe I’m in denial. When I am most at peace it’s either my teenager that doesn’t understand the meaning of no or my husband who feels everything is his way and house must b neat n clean always. I wonder though could my denial be setting me back or is it my environment.

8. Question 4: Do you trust God?
    I know in my mind that I can trust God. I’ve seen Him do amazing things in my own life where He’s proven to me that He is trustworthy and that He cares for me. But right now, my heart is broken and I’ve fallen back into what I know to do when someone has hurt me: build a wall so I don’t get hurt again. I don’t want to build a wall between the Lord and me. I don’t want that barrier but getting my heart and my mind to on the same page is a struggle. Instead of turning my back on Him or building a wall to keep Him out, I need to go to Him and let Him, the great comforter, comfort me. He already knows how I’m feeling and He’s waiting for me to come to Him with my pain and to give it to Him. So, why do I keep avoiding Him? I don’t know.

• Cathy it is so hard when we know what we need to do, but sometimes life can be so hard and cruel that trusting and letting go seems impossble…we don’t want the pain of being hurt happen again. Cathy, nothing is impossible with God…trust in him…he is there for us, no matter what we have said or done, no matter what, God loves you and is waiting on you, pray Cathy, I’m praying for you now, just pray to God, our father, our redeemer…may you have comfort and peace…

• Cathy I feel the EXACT same way as you. I trust got and I know that he is amazing but when I feel pain and hurt I often times build a wall. When I build that wall I feel so alone and like I will never get out of that black whole. Sometimes I just cry because I just feel so much pain and I just resist God because all I can think is why am I constantly feeling pain. Why isn’t anything I do right!!! One time I cried for almost an entire day, I was just laying there and couldn’t move, couldn’t get up. When I finally got up I was so angry, so angry at myself and at God. God and I had a long talk that day. I know that I need to let him in but I asked him to just come into my heart with full force. I think it’s ok to get mad at God because when I’m mad at him and talk to him about it I feel SOOO much better. He wants us to communicate with him no matter what.
      After that day, something changed it me and it’s easier for me to stop the resistance and reach out to God right away. It’s still hard for sure, but I don’t push away anymore. It’s hard for me to be vulnerable but that is what you need to be, vulnerable to God. Change hurts, but just know that God loves you Cathy so so much and he will ALWAYS be there for you. If you need anyone to talk to just email me and I will always respond and we can talk through things. If you are having a hard day and don’t feel like you have anyone to turn too I will be there to pray for you and to help you through it.

I finally started turning to a friend and she helps me get through so much and we just constantly talk about God during the tough times and it helps me to not close off my heart and put a wall up. Memorize some good verses, like the ones from the book, and just repeat them when you feel like you are going to shut down. Just keep praying and stay strong. I will be praying for you!

9. I personally loved the sentence, “Just as touching a hot stove signals our hand to pull back, might our emotions be alerting us to potential dangers?”

10. I am choosing to respond to the first question. I can really relate to Lysa’s statement–for two reasons. One, I am a perfectionist of sorts and two, I’m not the most patient person. I would like to be able to snap my fingers and be a changed person, but it doesn’t work that way. I get very frustrated when I fall short of my expectations for myself and often they are a bit too high.

11. • Change in my character is a process.
    • When I fail or slip, I will purpose myself to move forward and notice what distance I’ve covered in learning my lesson.

12. Where do I find the fear fighting scripture?

13. Jennifer Rasor says:

3. The idea of imperfect progress is encouraging to me. I tend to feel like such a failure when I mess up yet again, and like I’m not worthy of a do-over. But the phrase “imperfect progress” negates that thinking for me and helps me look at my failures in a different way. Instead of zooming in on my failures, I can focus on Jesus, what His Word says about His thoughts toward me, and I can focus on the small steps of progress I do in fact make…no matter how small they are. This gives me hope and encourages me.

14. My response is for question 1: I can relate to this statement from Lysa because it keeps us from trying to change things. I figured that nothing is going to make it stop or help, therefore I wouldn’t try. I am a freak out person…I admit it. I am still trying to figure out what is hindering me from winning as a believer. I pray God shows me and that I am willing to see it and believe it. I need to give up control to Him.

15. Hello ladies,

I am having an unglued day & I am in desperate need for prayer. My younger sister & her 3 children ages 5 & 2 year old twins live with me. Today my sister got arrested leaving me to care for her young children. My health is poor due to chronic health issues. I need prayers for strength, inner peace & energy. Thank you in advance. Konni

• Ajeenah Gayhardt says:

Praying for your health, peace of mind, strength and energy in the name of Jesus. Praying for your sister also that God shows her favor. He is with you and I know He will carry. I pray in the name of Jesus that u are blessed with someone to help you. Stay strong my sister in Christ.

16. Ajeenah Gayhardt says:

Mine is #4 Do you trust God? Why or why not? Yes. God has brought me a long way and is still bringing me through. I trust that the outcome of my situations is for the glory of God. I may not understand why I’m in the storm when I’m in it, I may feel like I’ve been abandoned, asking why Lord. Once u come out or continue to remain faithful in the midst of it all then u will realize God was there the whole time and everything is for His glory. I trust and know He got me. I may fall but He’s there to catch me. I’ll crash and burn and sometimes you have to go through the fire to really see God. He’s kept me from a lot of things, protected me. There has to be a purpose for my life, something I’m called to do because I shouldn’t be here right now. All the crazy things I’ve done, put my life in jeopardy as well as my son. Just out there all bad, not thinking, not caring. God has definitely protected me in my stupidity.

17. Question 6 Key points:
    As I finished up the reflection & discussion section of the Bible study, I realized the power of words. Yes, I’ve seen it first hand in the faces of my children and my husband, especially when I’ve crushed their spirits. Of course, I immediately regret what I’ve said, but adding insult to injury, my anger with myself is then displaced onto to them, as of course I’m right or I’m too stubborn to ask for forgiveness. Now, I’ve revealed why I need this Bible study. To allow God perform a miracle in me, as he did in the beginning.
    Yes, God spoke the world into existence through His Son, Jesus Christ, my Saviour. Words are powerful!
    Satan twists God’s Word and our words in order to disable us, so that we are made less, or even not, effective for Christ. What better way to try to destroy our family, our closest relationships, our foundations.
    The power of our words can reach below the surface, below what we see or comprehend. I must then stop and realize I have the power to encourage, to heal; the power to hurt, to destroy.

18. I’m really late and behind but am trying my best to get caught up. I had to suddenly fly from Taiwan where I work at a missionary school to the states to step in and take care of my step-dad’s estate. He can no longer take care of himself and is the beginning stages of dying most likely, so have been very busy getting his things in order and finding a group home that can care for him. That’s finally going well, now I just need prayer for when exactly to return to Taiwan.

my response is for question 4: Do you trust God? Why or why not?
    I do, but I find that I often revert back to doubting him or wondering what horrible thing he’ll make me face. I had a misconception that if I trusted God, he wouldn’t make me go through the things I really hated or feared. Well, that didn’t turn out to be true. I’m slowly learning that even if God makes me face those things I fear, He IS with me and will protect me, but it doesn’t mean I won’t get hurt along the way. That’s when he wants me to run to him for comfort.