Sep 27

Fab Fun Friday Unglued Week 1 Wrap Up

Blog Hop Rocks!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Unglued Week 1 Blog Hop! It was great to have a day to read so many Unglued messages!  I was super impressed. If you missed it or just want to go back to read some really great insight, real life, gut honest, and sharing from your OBS sisters, click here. It is great reading!

Let me just say this…if you don’t have a blog, that is so ok.  The purpose of the blog hop isn’t to make you feel like you have to have a blog. It’s truly to give you the opportunity to learn from others besides me!  So those of you who are non-bloggers. no worries. Just enjoy reading.

Chapter 2 Refelections

Hopefully you have read Chapters 1 & 2 by now. Here are some questions to reflect on for Chapter 2:

1.  What does Lysa say about perspective?
2.  Finish this sentence.  “When an emotion is tied to this thought pattern, the memory trace grows ___________________   _______________.
Why is this true?]

3. Why is renewing our thoughts so crucial?

4. Look up Romans 12:2 and 2 Corinthians 10:5 in your Bible.   Write them in your journal or notebook.  Rewrite both verses in your own words.  Then write out how you can apply this in your life.

5. When faced with a situation out of your control, ask yourself, “Whose side am I on?”  What is your answer?

6.  Are you a freak-out woman?

Hear Me Out

I have a message for you today:  how to start your own free blog, my thoughts on our memory verses this week, and hopefully words that will encourage you. If you can’t see the video below, click here.

Please share your thoughts with us in the comment section. Always love to hear from you. Share your Unglued Chapter 2 or Week 1 thoughts with us. How are you doing in the Unglued OBS so far?

Winners

Winners of Deborah Smith Pegues books are:

30 Days to Taming Your Emotions, Peggy Dalton- email shivers07@
30 Days to Taming your Tongue, Debbie- email deborahvansky@

Email Angie@proverbs31.org with your address and we will get it in the mail to you! Congrats, you will love these books!

For fun, come back tomorrow for a peek at some video bloopers.

Have a great weekend y’all! I’m looking forward to Week 2 with you!

Comments

1. I think this book is awesome! I have never done an online study before and am not at all familiar with blogging myself, but might think about it now.

2. Well after reading through some of the blogs yesterday, I do believe I will start my own. I am not the best at writing but I really would like to improve on that. So the best way to do that is to write more. 😉

I love this study so far! I cannot wait until next week! Thank you so much for doing this study Melissa!

Kristen
    OBS Group Leader

3. LOVING the study!! I am not a freak-out woman!

The thought of the memory trace growing stronger reminds me of a story…(A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: “Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time.” When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, “The one I feed the most.)

This is so true of our thoughts. If we continue to hold onto and give place to the negative thoughts and old responses they become stronger. But by taking them captive and declaring truth, God’s Word, over our thoughts, the power is shifted and truth becomes our pattern.

• that is a great way of looking at our unglued moments. thank you for sharing

• Tawnee DeGraffenreid says:

JoDee, wow that story really hits home for me! I love it, thank you for sharing it! I’m going to write it down and put it in my purse, in case I need to look at it when I’m not home, and need to renew my thinking!

• Thank you so much for sharing that story JoDee! :)

• Love that story JoDee. I have heard it before and it fits so perfect with this chapter. Thanks for sharing.

• I copied that story into my notebook — so so true!!! Going to share it with my other group. Thank you!!!!

• Nichole Wolland says:

That is awesome! I shared it with my FB small group.

Nichole
      OBS small group leader

• That is a really good story of the two dogs! That is so true, wow . Just to think about that? :)

• I have heard the story of the two dogs before. Thanks for pointing out how it relates to this chapter.

• Tracy Ballin says:

Great word picture! Love the analogy! Thank you for sharing!

• I had also heard the story and it is so true and relates so well to the chapter. Thanks for the reminder.

4. Jackie Van Hook says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE STUDY….enjoyed the blog hop (reading, as I don’t blog, but seriously thinking of starting, thanks to your emcouragement!). What stood out in ch 2 was how crucial our perspective is, and our thoughts…. “We won’t develop new responses until we develop new thoughts.”. This really allowed me to see the 2 scriptures (Rom. 12:2 and 2 Cor 10:5) in a different light….and really saw the hope they give me! For me, one thought I am going to be repeating to myself is, “I am patient and loving.”. A lot of days I feel so not this, and I know it is a combination of my responses and reactions. And love how it points out that we can “accept or refuse thoughts” which is basically 2 Cor 10:5 – I can refuse the thoughts that tell me I am not loving or patient!!!!! So thankful for these little valuable lessons I am learning thru the book and study!!!!!!

5. “Could I trust God and believe that He is working out something good even from things that seem no good? You see, if I know there is potential good hidden within each chaotic situation, I can loose my grip on control”. (pg 24) This really hit home with me. My husband is a pastor. He and I have been on a journey the past 6-9 months that have led to us to picking up our family and moving more than 200 miles away from home to plant a new church. At the beginning of the journey, God allowed some things that at the time I could see nothing good coming out of it. But looking back now I can see that it was all in His plan to move us to the next phase in our lives. I have learned that God is good, He is REAL, and He is working even in the details of life.

6. If we don’t renew our mind, things will never change. We will still have the same thoughts processes as yesterday and still be stuck in a place that God does not want us to be. It is only through the renewing of our minds that we will be able to branch out and go to a place that God wants us to go.

7. Melissa, you are such an encouragemnt, Thank You! I am intimidated by the body.This study is way outside of my comfort zone. I am working on getting those thoughts out of my head and putting in thought of I can do this! I feel God has been pointing me to reading His words and this is what I am committing to doing! Again Thank you for all you do. I will be spending my weekend reading blogs and am going to have to check that bible out sometimes I am so lost that’s why I read others comments to help me understand.

• Barbara Prince says:

Kathy, you are in the right place at the right time. This is such a safe and easy way to begin your journey of digging into God’s beautiful Word more. You will love it more then you every thought possible. Once you see for yourself how God Word not only applies to you, but that it is also good for you, you will hunger for it more deeply. I have found that, if I neglect my Bible Study for a few days, I get a craving. I get something to eat and it doesn’t satisfy, so I’ll get something else and it doesn’t satisfy either. Then it will hit me that I’ve neglected God’s Word and that is what I’m hungering for. I’m so happy for you!

• Barbara, you hit on something I learned in Made to Crave. “You crave what you consume” I have found that be true physically and spiritually. When I consume God’s word, I crave more and more of it. When I consume junk in the world…TV, magazines, websites that can be my guilty pleasures….I crave more of that. I just can’t live without knowing if Brad and Angelina are really splitting up! (rolling eyes…sarcasm!). But when I consume God’s word, I want more of it. I want to study more, pray more, reflect more. Thank you for stating it more elegantly than I can!

Christa
        OBS Facebook small group leader

• Hi Kathy,
      Something else that I do sometimes is read the same verses in different versions of the Bible, that helps me get the ‘gist’ of what’s being said. I have used Biblegateway.com to do this. But I agree with Melissa, the Life Application Study Bible is good with the notes to help focus the verses to our lives today. And you can always ask on here and there are so many wise ladies who would love to help figure things out with you – we are all searchers here! Have a great weekend – I’ll be finishing up reading those blogs, too! The ones I’ve read have been great and so uplifting!

Kelley
      OBS Group Leader

8. Sylvia Flores says:

Excited about all the great things God is/will be doing in our lives. Also excited that my book finally came in. God is faithful, because I was down in my back all week at the worst time when this study began and I had to go to emergency. Thank you Jesus I have recovered from a strain on my back. I can now focus on study a alot of catching up.God bless ya.

9. ‎~ TODAY ~
    Today I smiled,
    and all at once things didn’t look so bad.

Today I shared with someone else,
    …a bit of hope I had.

Today I sang a little song
    and felt my heart go a little light,

And walked a happy little mile
    with not a cloud in sight.

Today I worked with what I had
    and longed for nothing more,

And what had seemed like only weeds,
    were flowers at my door.

Today I loved a little more
    and complained a little less,

And in the giving of myself,
    I forgot my weariness.

~ author unknown

10. Good Afternoon wonderful friends, how is your day going? I have to tell you about a little girl in my class who is young and learning how to navigate in a world she has never been in before, the school classroom, where she must help clean up and get ready to go home each day. The last 15 minutes of the day are tough for her, and she becomes Unglued… yells, cries and flops down into what many of us would call a tantrum. I think many of us would like to do that sometimes too, and wish we were 3 or 4 again, because we could get away with it. But I have to say, we had progress today. Instead of laying down on the table, she remembered that it was ok to be unhappy but we had to do it safely and not flop on top of a table. Well, today she stopped herself from climbing on the table, and flopped to the floor. We called this imperfect progress as at least she was in a safe place and would not roll off and hurt herself. After a few minutes she joined us in circle for the final story of the day. Unhappy that I started without her but she was done crying… Imperfect Progress from a 4 year old perspective

• Mary, thanks for sharing imperfect progress thru a child’s experiences. Yes, sometimes I do yearn to be young again and be able to kick and scream when things aren’t going my way! 😉

• Martha Farrell says:

Thanks for sharing that story. As she gets older she’ll be better able to manage her “unglued” moments……wish I had started learning that young! Haha But God is able to teach us all.
        Praising Him for this OBS, Melissa, Lysa, & all our sisters in this study!

11. I really love “Unglued”. I know that its inspired. Thank you so much, Lysa. I have already read the first six chapters because its such good reading but I am going to start over so I can participate in the discussions. I really need prayers because of my emotions, I may have lost my job because of my temper.

• Martha Farrell says:

Renee, I am sorry for your job loss. God does have a plan for you. Just continue in this study, pray, read His word, and know that you are not alone. So many of us struggle with our emotions and I am so very grateful for this ministry of Lysa & Melissa! Blessings to you!

12. Melissa just wanted to say how much I love you and thank you for all you do.

Now onto the question that really stuck out to me in today’s blog post:

3. Why is renewing our thoughts so crucial? I really believe it is so easy to get mired in negative thoughts and self-condemnation when we come UNGLUED or when we stuff our emotions and build walls. We want change so desperately but we don’t have the strength in ourselves to effectuate that. If we did we sure wouldn’t be particpating in this study. We need to be as desperate for God as we are for change. We need to seek His face and let His word permeate our thinking. As we learn how HE sees us and who we are in Him we begin to change how we think and as you change your thoughts your behavior follows. We can do this – make this simple change – reach out to Him and His Word for truth. That’s where real change begins.

Love y’all so much ladies. So blessed to be part of this study.

~Hope, OBS Small Group Leader

13. Tawnee DeGraffenreid says:

Romans12:2 in my own words…
    Don’t think or be like anybody who isn’t saved, but be set apart by your very own way of thinking, that by your very actions others may know how refreshing and pure and right the will of our Almighty God really is!

This can be applied by being a light for those who are in the dark, and leading them back to the Light (Jesus). Through God all things are possible!

14. Jeanie kelley says:

Love the video message today. I do have a blog, but do not have a catchy title for it. It is just called the Unglued Bible Study. I went on Word Press and got it started. Do you see how God is stretching me. Even with the week I have had he is still stretching me . As soon as I have people reread it I will begin posting on it. For me, it will just take time.

15. I am really enjoying this study. It’s so true and relevant for my life. I also am not a blogger but have recently been reading a few. Maybe I should look more into it. Thank you for putting together this study.

16. First of all, I am loving the study and all that I am getting out of it! I hated school (except for elementary, cause well it was easy and awesome!), but I get so excited to read my chapters, share my thoughts and then do the reflection questions. It’s like homework for me, but in a really good way. If I just read, and don’t dig in, I don’t get anything out of it!

The thing that really caught my attention in chapter 2 was when Lysa wrote, “I can’t control the things that happen to me each day, but I can control how I think about them.” Before I even dug into this book, whenever something happened I would always try to think -Brenna, you have control over your thoughts and your actions.- So I really loved that that was in this chapter! Also where she writes, “I can face things that are out of my control and not act out of control.” LOVE IT! :)

Melissa, I am really loving your video messages! I just wanted to say to all the fellow mom’s out there, I bought a bible at WalMart. It’s a pink and brown NIV bible, and it is called the Busy Mom’s Bible! Throughout the bible there are 1 minute, 5 minute and 10 minute devotionals. Honestly, I haven’t read any of the devotionals because around the time I got it was when I discovered the Proverbs 31 Ministries daily devotionals! But yeah, I think it’s an excellent bible because somedays, or most days, you only have 1 minute, 5 minutes or 10 minutes to read the word!

17. question number 4. Here’s ‘my’ version of the II Corinthians 10:5:

Violently rid yourself of the slightest thought that disagrees with God’s truth…take every fear and stand it in the shadow of The Most High…making it bow down in submission to The One Who Loves Us.

from Sally the Sweet 16 Group leader

18. I do my best not to be a freak out woman, but I have to admit there are times I fit the description. “Had my computer never gotten that virus,I would never have taken the time to back up my computer.” Wow, this truly hit home for me. It has been a while since I have attended church as I watch church on TV. I have been praying for a church home but seemed safer my way, or so I thought. Three Sundays ago my youngest son and his girlfriend was to go to church with my middle son and his wife. Sunday morning as my son and his girlfriend was to follow his brother to church, their wires got crossed and my middle son Josh and his wife were going to Sunday school and had already left. I really wanted my youngest son to go to church(as it has been awhile for him as well) and as a mom I decided to go and have them follow me. Let me say,that on the inside I was kicking and screaming all the way and was very frustrated with Josh and his wife for being so forgetful. I was going to give them a piece of my mind later. Well I didn’t give them a piece of my mind and I asked God to forgive me for my murmuring and complaining. I was so very blessed that day as I worshipped God and felt so very at home there, that I have not missed a Sunday and look forward to the next Sunday….Sometimes we can freak out on the inside and although no one else sees it,our Heavenly Father does. I am so thankful that He is so much more forgiving.

19. I really appreciate this book. Chapter 2 is awesome. Thank you. I don’t have a blog or even know how to start one. But I will try to leave a comment every now and then. 😉

20. Stacey Keller says:

Melissa – I loved your video – you are so real and relateable, not to forget very funny too!! Thank you for all you do and all the encouragement you provide. I’m loving this study and reading everyone’s take on it too. God Bless – have a wonderful weekend!

21. Melissa, I used to be afraid to mark up my Bible as well. Then one day, it occurred to me that it’s MY Bible and I could mark it up as much as I wanted to if it helped me learn and remember the Word. Now, I write sermon notes in the margins, underline as needed and enjoy looking back at all of it. To anyone else afraid of putting a pen or highlighter to your Bible–do it! It’s yours and God wants us to use it.

22. Thank you so much for doing what you do Melissa! I am not struggling (at this point) to keep caught up however my school work is suffering for it. 😉 I do think some people sound so much more intelligence but then I remind myself that I know my personal relationship with Christ and I hold those thoughts captive and sling them over my shoulder.

23. I love the parts about constantly renewing your mind. In my “live” Bible study we are doing the Gospel of Mark and we just learned a bit more about the Pharisees of Jesus’ time (not to be confused with the Pharisees that existed when Mark and the others were actually writing). One of the things I learned is that the Jewish people believed strongly in the regular renewal of the mind! They liked to discuss and interpret the scriptures (at the time, the OT only but it wasn’t called that of course) and debate. The Romans verse is part of Paul’s description of how to live like Christ — renew your mind. Think! Awesome.

24. Loving the study so far! As with many others, I love the renewing of your mind word picture. It has gotten “stuck” in my brain this week and I can’t stop thinking about how much God must love to allow me the power to do this. He wants me to take captive my negative thoughts and replace them with His Word! Love that! I will keep working, I have come unglued many times this week. But, I have the scripture to allow my brain to change my thought process.

25. Loved Ch1 & Ch2 so far!!

The thing that stood out to me was how you had us write out Romans 12:2 and 2 Cor 10:5 and then rewrite them in our own words – very powerful. I have a choice – I can conform to this world and think about what it says and impresses on me -or- I can be transformed by God and take every thought captive and either have it be obedient to Christ’s Word or get rid of it! This is a day-by-day & moment-by-moment decision I have to make to trust Him!!

Looking forward to next week and Ch3 & Ch4!!

26. I liked the scenario when faced with a situation out of your control ask yourself, “whose side am I on? This really help me to think about what I think when something goes wrong I am a freak out woman but this is going to help me to realize in a situation to be more gentle in a situation and more calmer so I would.t make any problems worst or hurt any one this study is so awesome so far I was a little intimidated at the beggining but I’m all caught up and can’t wait till next week<3

27. I am loving this study so far. This is the first study that I am doing by myself(not with my church) and online. Lysa really speaks to me. I love her writing style and her down to earth demeanor. I am an freak out woman but I don’t want to be. That’s why I bought this book! I don’t want to freak out and come unglued whenever a situation is beyond my control or even if it is. I tend to panic and not see things clearly and just react from a pure emotional standpoint. I have to learn to take a step back, get perspective, breathe, and formulate a new response. I have to remember to take my thoughts captive and renew my thoughts. This is going to take a long time because I have been this way for years. I am willing to go the distance if I have the Lord by my side. I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind!

28. Nichole Wolland says:

Loved learning about renewing our minds. I never realized that the more I had thoughts that weren’t good, the harder it would be to not do that the next time. This motivates me to step out of my comfort zone and change my thinking. I will be flying in a week and I have been focusing on scripture that deals with fear, anxiousness, etc. I guess I am creating a good memory trace that will hopefully be very deep by the time I step on the airplane!

Nichole – OBS Leader

29. What a great study this is so far!! There is SO much good stuff packed inside… I simply can hardly wait for Week 2!! I am going to be using this for our next Women’s Bible Study group at church and I know the ladies are gonna just love this!

What really stuck out for me in Chapter 2 is changing my thought process and developing those new memory traces with the renewing of my mind through God’s Word!

Thank you so much Melissa for all your hard work and dedication to this study and thank you for sharing it with us!! I look forward to checking out the blooper videos tomorrow!!

30. Wow, week one has come to an end and it was amazing. the reflection this time was really something to think about especially number 4. To learn and yet decipher what each verse means to me surely puts things into perspective. I hope to keep going with my imperfect progress with all my friends. On to week two!

31. Wow…..I thought I was doing well with not coming unglued. And then it happened. I lost my job in May so I had to move back in with my parents. (Praise God for the new job I start Monday). Anyway, my mom calls to tell me that she is taking my dad out to eat for dinner. I don’t freak out at her. I use the silent treatment/yes or no answers to her questions. I am filled with anger, frustration, and I feel like a little child who has a tantrum b/c she doesn’t get her own way. I try to calm myself down and think this is such a silly thing to get upset about. I am a grown adult, and they are grown adults. I so want to cry out and have a tantrum that it isn’t fair. I want to come too. This all has a point. As I was looking over the questions the one that stood out to me was “Am a freak-out women?” I initially answered no because I don’t freak-out externally, but internally I am freaking-out. Since I am a stuffier of my negative emotions, there are times when I feel overwhelming anger, frustration, and am in an upset mood for what seems like no reason. It makes me even more frustrated because I have negative emotions because I don’t have any reason to have them.

32. Thanks, Melissa for the great video. It was very encouraging and uplifting. Your insight into our memory verses is very helpful. Have a great weekend!

33. Thank you so much Melissa! Your vlog spoke right to my heart. I really am having a hard time understanding what the bible verses mean. I am new to reading the bible. God bless you and your team.

34. I had my own moment of imperfect progress this week when I couldn’t figure out how to replace the paper in my adding machine. This may sound trivial, but I am a “professional perfectionist”. I could sense my emotions rising and those memory traces of self-condemnation beginning to rise. I actually left the paper and the machine on my desk and went for a walk. When I had a new perspective, the paper went right in! I am so thankful for the hope I have already received from this study. I do not have to continue to be a “freak-out woman” <3

35. Feeling like you are becoming unglued most of the time is not fun for yourself or for the poor people around you… By letting go of the need of control I have will be a true test for me. But I feel if I can rely and trust God I might be able to do this and by doing these exercises of the bible study will be a great help.

36. OKAY SO WHERE DO I START OBS IS NEW FOR ME. I AM KINDA NEW TO THIS I TRY TO UNDERSTAND AND LET GOD TAKE OVER MY MIND,AND HELP ME UNDERSTAND HOW TO INTAKE ALL. WELL I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK FIRST OF ALL. LET ME DISCRIBE MY SELF.. I AM QUIET AT TIMES WHEN IT COMES TO SPEAKING MY MIND I GUESS I’M AFRAID OF DISAPPOINTMENT. ON THE OTHER HAND I’M ALWAYS TRYING TO PLEASE!!!! I HATE THAT PART OF ME. I CAN’T JUST MAKE TIME FOR MYSELF WITHOUT GUILT (MARRIED N FOUR BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN).I AM A STUFFER, BUT THERE I GO LABELING MYSELF! I CAN NOT REALLY FIND THE OR “LET” MY TRUE SELF OUT I CAN BE MORE OF GOD JUST CAN NOT IGNORE THE HOW SHOULD I SAY BAD SEEDS AROUND ME? SO TO SHORTEN MY NOVEL LOL :) CAN I GET SOME FEED BACK FROM SOME SISTAS HELP ME OUT. ALONG WITH THIS UNGLUED EDITION. OH MELISSA BY THE WAY THANKS FOR THIS OBS! AND THANKS LYSA TRYING TO GET THE HANG OF BLOGIN?

• Thanks for sharing. I can relate to what you said in your post.

• Hi Christina.
      I can relate to the things you say and the feelings you have. The first advice I can give is always to pray before anything – it doesn’t have to be elaborate – can be just short and sweet. It can be just one word “Help!” He hears us and He knows our hearts and will help us in every situation. You can do this when you are with others (bad seeds you called them) and you can be an example to them. I have already found that I am thinking more about things, thoughts, my words, in the short time of this study, too. I feel like maybe I am taking some of my negative thoughts captive and turning them around. And it’s working so far. Has everything gotten better? No. Am I handling everything the way I should? Probably not. But, like Lysa says, we should continue to try and ground ourselves in the Lord, trust Him, and we can face each situation, one at a time. I also love her words at the end of chapter two. One good choice. One good choice redefined Lysa’s trajectory. One good choice can lead to another, and another. Imperfect progress.

Blessings to you, hope to see you on here again and see how you’re doing.
      Kelley
      OBS Small Group Leader

37. Peggy Dalton says:

I am so excited about winning one of the books by Deborah Smith Pegues. Now I only to have to buy one of her books! Yea!

I have been fighting my “raw emotions” my entire adult life and am so happy to be involved in this OBS. I know God brought me to this bible study and I am so thankful for that. I have so much to say all wrapped up inside of me after this first week of OBS, but the words just aren’t coming to me tonight. I guess that’s for another time.

I do want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has given their time to make this OBS possible. God is doing some awesome things through all of you and we as participants are blessed to have found you and this OBS. Thank you and God Bless you all!

38. Melissa, I’m so glad you showed and recommended your Bible. That’s the exact same one I use and I’ve told many people how wonderful it is and how great the notes are at explaining things for my simple mind. I’m glad to hear someone else loves it so much!

The study has been great. I’ve done your studies before but never been in the small groups. It’s nice getting to know some folks. Have a blessed weekend!

39. Hi,
    In chapter 2, the perception that Lisa talked about just prodded at me. I could change my perception about something and turn it from a negative into a positive. My boss had a bad morning, stressful about this business, and I was trying to make all positives from everything he said, this is small steps of progress, by changing my perception. I told him the OBS suggested this… Being a normal realist at heart, it really refreshing trying to be calm, a non-freak out women, to change the bad perception, give it to Christ to transform, and make good, and focus on small steps of progress, and positiveness to my life, which impacts my children most of all. I want to be an example, in a good way, and not in a bad way. Thank you for OBS and “unglued” talking about things we struggle with everyday!

40. Lisa Lagalo says:

2nd Corinthians 10:5 We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.// We have to give God the control over our thoughts. We have to choose which we want to think on and recognize the difference between the wrong thoughts and the Christ centered ones. I have to just pray that I will give God the control of my thoughts. Trust him to guide my thoughts. I need the Holy Spirit in my life. More word. More prayer. I have to prepare for temptation. So I can shut it out when it happens. I need to instill a plan to be able to redirect myself. Like dieting I dont stick with it cause I give in to temptation. It’s the way I perpare my heart.

5…When I am faced with a situation out of control I do have two choices. The world and God. Which will I pick? If I slow down and listen I think I would choose God. Most of the time I dont even listen or realize my decisions aren’t the best. I need to be sensitive to the Lord and prepare my heart to seek him. I need to research the cause that made me stray. Preparing my heart will help me to make those decisions.

6…I am a freak out woman if it’s possible to get my heart so right and fixed on him then I need to start in advance and not wait until my back is against a wall. I cannot listen to the world TONIGHT! One day one choice Imperfect progress.

41. You know, I spent 6+ years as a single mom before meeting my current husband. In that time, I can remember thinking things like, “What did I do wrong?” “Why am I so horrible?” and so forth. Even today, I often struggle with the thoughts of being a bad wife and mother knowing full well these thoughts just aren’t true. The enemy knows far too well how to bring doubt and discouragement through the thought-life of an individual as well as how to twist and use thoughts to divide and conquer.

The one thing I have learned in the midst of all of this is that I am a daughter of the king of heaven and nothing can separate me from God’s love. This has only come about through reading my Bible, spending time in prayer and the study of His word, as well as through worship. Renewing our minds by putting the good and true words of faith into them rather than the lies and deceitful whispers of the enemy is vital to overcoming doubt, discouragement, and spiritual bondage.

The struggles continue, and will until Christ returns. However, in the midst of the struggles I can recall things like “God is my shield and my defender, my rock in whom I will trust,(my gleaning from Psalm 18:2 and 2 Samuel 22:3),” or “He will never leave me or forsake me (Hebrews 13:5).” There are so many more, too. The one that hit me hard in the midst of overwhelming spiritual battle this past school year, though, is a familiar one to many: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6) What a blessing to be able to lean on God and these encouraging words!

42. Thanks for this vlog, Melissa. I’ve been working on the memory verse in Hebrews all week and can now recite the words but was having a hard time making practical application. Your perspective really helped!

43. I am not a freak out woman :o)

Loving this, what stood out to me was pg 22 “Renewing our minds with new thoughts is crucial. New thoughts come from new perspectives”

I watched a video podcast Lysa did on being unglued a few weeks ago, and something she said in that has really impressed on my mind – it was something along the lines of.. the stuff that makes me come unglued.. if that is -the- worst thing that happens today, it’s still a pretty good day right?

I’ve still messed up since hearing this, buuuuut I’m making progress and I’m pretty sure me being reminded of this thought on perspective has helped massively!

44. Lynda in South Carolina says:

Love the video!! It is wonderful not only to read but watch your enthusiasm & spirit speaking to all.. Thanks Melissa

45. “I’m not a freak-out woman” I want to share what I shared with my online group.

Forgive me if this is long, but can’t shorten and get the whole picture across… I’d like to share a little story that happened to me this week, and it’s called “Perspective vs. Perception” I went to a friends house to group ladies night out. All was fun and peaceable until I got that dreaded text from my husband, “Where is the remote?” I coule tell immediately that he was coming unglued. You want to know what gets me headed in the direction of coming unglued faster than anything, is someone else coming unglued at me. Frustration, anger, disappointment at being disturbed started welling in me and the text fingers were getting ready to let loose when the recollection of how my husband’s visual perception is different than mine came to mind. Even though he was flying text at me faster than I could read about how he looked “everywhere” ( you know that husband remote panic), I also know after reading “His Brain, Her Brain” by Walt Larimore, that a man’s brain is wired different than a woman’s in that they visually see in a tunnel vision while we see more peripheral vision. (I’m not making this up, really). I knew that while he probably thought he looked everywhere, he probably only looked in the usual places that he could perceive the remote to be. I decided to change my perspective and look at it from his perception and helped him broaden his search. I gave him a few suggestions, I stayed calm, and reasurred him that when i got home I would find it. The text stopped, I was relaxed again, the night was fun, and when I returned, within 30 seconds I found the remote. (hehe) To be fair and give my husband credit, it had fallen off the end table into my crochet basket, (which he looked in) so it was not in plain site. Thanks “Unglued” for helping me change my perspective and not be a freak-out woman.

46. I’ve realized many of my reactions are just bad habits. Lysa said renewing our minds with new thoughts is crucial. New thoughts come from new perspectives. If we yell, we’ll keep yelling. We won’t develop new responses until we develop new thoughts. So in sum, Renewing our minds leads to New Perspectives leads to New Thoughts leads to New Responses!

47. I love the final question. “Are you a freak out woman?”

Let’s just say…..it’s a work in progress, stay tuned. :)

I’m being challenged right now though, because the story of Joshua keeps coming up in my studies, and how it’s not so much about the story of Jericho itself but how Joshua chose to respond in the face of fear and giants and challenge even before they marched around the walls.

48. I love that one small step of imperfect progress on Lysa’s part caught Lysa’s daughter’s attention. That is such a great demonstration of how we are the transformed by God & the perspective we gain in not being “a freak out woman”! I want that!

49. I really enjoyed watching the videos, Melissa, and and appreciate your being so real…especially in showing us the bloopers too. The book is very practical and encouraging. It has confirmed many things that I have been learning. Hearing insights from others is also beneficial. My main thought regarding question 3 is that if we don’t start thinking differently, we will not get out of the negative thinking patterns that make us become unglued and unhappy.

50. This book is by far the Bible study that hits closest to home. Chapter 2 was even richer then 1. When Lysa was telling the story of her technological day, it was as if my life was in rewind. The words she said” It was too much. It was coming too fast.The perfect storm. I had promised myself over and over , I wouldn’t explode. I did.” This is a consistent battle for me. I will feel so much progress and then ” the perfect storm” I love the scripture as well. Swords for my heart and mind. I am looking forward to becoming more and more renewed. I randomly came across this bible study. I had never even heard of Lysa, Melissa, or any one associated with this before. Someone asked how I found it and I honestly do not know when or how. I just know God wants this for me. Thank you for writing this book and offering this OBS opportunity.~Rachael