Oct 28

Unglued OBS, Week 6

Here’s What to Expect in Week 6

Memory Verses for Week 6

Chapter 11

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

~ Psalm 19:14 NIV84

Chapter 12

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

~ II Corinthians 10:5 NIV84

Blog Hop Topic of the Week

Pick One, write a blog post, share it with us Thursday at The OBS Blog Hop.

*”Dear Lysa TerKeurst”

*Thoughts vs. Truth

*I Accept the Invitation to Imperfect Progess

I continue to be impressed and inspired by your blogs! Can’t wait to read this week!

Remember, each time you share your blog on the blog hop, you are entered to win a new blog design! Prize awarded January 7, 2012!

Suggested Assignments for Week 6

Visit my blog daily, http://melissataylor.org to fully participate in the study.

Monday~ Read Chapter 11, My Soul Needs to Exhale

Monday~ Conference Call!  Bon Voyage Y’all!  Melissa Taylor’s Online Bible Studies have been invited on a  Girls Getaway Cruise and that includes you! Yes ma’am, we are sailing away October 3-7, 2013 to the Bahamas and Half Moon Cay! Our guest tonight, Mary Snyder, is going to be sharing with us the details of how we can join this oh so fun cruise! And she’s bringing prizes!!! Everyone always says they wish we all could get together in person, well here’s our chance and we have almost a whole year to save up for it! I’m so excited about this I could SCREAM!!!! (and I just did!)

We’ll also be talking to Mary about her book, God, Grace & Girlfriends, which I happen to have my own personally signed copy of! It is the best book on friendship I’ve ever read. Period.

Mary is one of the funnest and funniest people I’ve ever met. You’ll want to be there for this call, it’s gonna be a blast!

Tuesday~ Answer the 3 Sabbath Questions from p. 156-162 (paperback).

1. Where am I going my own way right now?

2. What one area of my life is more self-pleasing than God-pleasing?

Wednesday~ Read Chapter 12, It Isn’t All Bad.

Why is coming unglued not all bad?

Thursday~ Blog Hop :)

Friday~ Read the Epilogue, Accepting the Invitation to Imperfect Progress

Tweets and Facebook Updates

Tweets for Chapter Eleven

“Where there is a lack of rest, there is an abundance of stress.” #UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

“God is more concerned with the attitudes of our hearts than the activities of our bodies” #UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

“I don’t want my life to be so crowded that I’m nothing more than a commercial for crazy” #UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

“Remember to be a noticer of the good in every day, in every situation and in every interaction” #UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

Tweets for Chapter Twelve

“Outward expressions are internal indications” #UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

“God’s grace always allows for second chances.”#UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

“I pray I am more often broken and less often unglued.”#UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

“It’s a rare & beautiful thing when we choose to offer love when most would choose to ignore.”#UngluedBook @LysaTerKeurst @MTBibleStudies

This is it y’all!!! Our last week in the Unglued Online Bible Study! Let’s finish strong!

Comments

1. I have my assignments done for the week! Don’t be too impressed, a hurricane is bearing down on us and I have power at the moment so made good use of the time and got my blog posts done. I may not be able to link it on Thursday if we are without power but I has made for a super day just reflecting! Stay safe P31 team, North Carolina is in the path as well! I wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed this OBS. It is the first time I have ever done anything like this and it has been a blessing. Thank you for being so dedicated to all the work that goes into it! God bless you all!

• Jennifer N (OBS group leader) says:

So blessed to have you be able to be a part! I am praying for your safety, as well as the beautiful sweet ladies of P31. Asking the Lord to protect and keep each one of you. Please pop in whenever you are able and let us know you are ‘safe’. God bless you and keep you!

• Barbara Prince says:

Psalm 107:29 says,”He made the storm be still, and the save of the sea were hushed.” Father, I am speaking Your Word to this storm. Jesus spoke to the waves and said “Peace, Be still”. We cry out Father, in the name of Jesus, speaking the same words, Your, unchanging Word, and say “Peace, Be Still!’ Thank you, Father that these, my sisters, are in the safety of Your loving arms.

• Praying for your family, Ellen, and all those affected by Sandy (including the P31 team). Hugs!

• Praying for you

2. Judy McMillin says:

I am looking forward to what God will teach us this week!

3. Polly Schneider says:

This is off the subject, but I just wanted you guys to pray for all of us in the Mid-Atlantic area as we endure Hurricane Sandy. We all need your prayers. Thanks!

• Teresa Timmins says:

I second the request for prayer for us in the Atlantic area that are now bracing for Hurricane Sandy. We definitely need all of your prayers. Thanks!

• Jennifer N (OBS group leader) says:

Praying for each and everyone of you sweet ladies. Asking Him to keep you and protect you. Asking Him to turn the storm around, to weaken it or to make it go away all together. Bless each of you and praying that, as you are able, you can let us know you are ‘all clear’. God bless each of you!

• Praying for all in the path of the storm!

4. Many prayers for those in the path of the storm.

I cannot wait to get thinking about the blog posts. These sound fun!

5. Prayers are with all of you in the path of the storm. It is hard to believe what an awesome time of growing and learning it has been. I am thankful for each and everyone of you!

6. Stephanie says:

Can I ask that you all please keep those affected by Sandy in your prayers? We are in Northern VA and getting as prepared as possible. We need all the prayers we can get.

7. I am posting early, as we are waiting for the real surge from Sandy (in NJ), and may lose power later. While so much of this book has been for me, Chapter 11 really spoke to me. I have a lot of work to do in this area. Last night my husband and I had our weekly meeting, and I shared that while I like my work and all of my activities, my plate not only feels full, but everything feels very heavy. By that I mean a lot of responsibility and commitment. My plate is not full of lightness and fun and joy. This is a definite opportunity for improvement in my life!

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Cassie,
      it is so cool you have a weekly meeting with your hubby to discuss things. That just blesses my heart.
      I am so proud you are realizing the heaviness in your schedule and were/are willing to bring this into your marriage to work on it.
      I pray that you may find the joy, peace, rest in your hear that God desires for you.

Blessings,
      Catherine

8. This is not on topic but I thought I would share with you Melissa to take a look at youtube for Big Daddy Weaves song “Redeemed”! and Mike Weaver’s testimony of the song. The song seems quite fitting to end “Unglued” with. It was a life changing moment for me yesterday listening to it. Working through “Unglued” and all God has been saying and revealed has my heart ready for a new place in my life and this song was fitting! I hope you look at it! Have a wondeful day and praying for everyone for the storm and for your safety.

9. Chapter 11: “Where there is a lack of rest there is an abundance of stress.” This is so true for me. I am the type of person that tries to do it all and I realize after I have said “yes” to too many things that it only leads to burn out and an overload of stress in my life. God pretty much wiped my plate clean this year of all the commitments I was doing before and has me starting over. I have found myself wanting to make my own way but then I come back to His small voice in my heart that says, “this is not the season.” There are things He has called us to do, but we are not called to do everything. There has to be balance and rest. I am learning where that place of balance is in my life.

• Barbara Prince says:

Brandee, God is leading you into His wisdom. The enemy will fight that most in the life of a Christian with what appear to be “good things”. However, if the “good things” we do are not the things God has call us personally to do then they are no longer “good things”, but merely busy things. I’ve been overloaded with these “things” many times and I still fight that fight, so that I can do what God says to do. Father, continue to bless Brandee with wisdom and the strength to do things Your way, the good work You have planed for her to accomplish for Your glory.

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Just wonderful wisdom you ladies have in your walks with Christ. The ability to realize something is just busy work thrown in to get you off track is a true blessing indeed.
        A time of rest and exploring what God may have for you….
        Thank you both for opening my eyes to this idea – truth.

Blessings,
        Catherine

10. Karri(OBS Leader) says:

I am so sad that this is our last week…..I have read the book once and am reading it again with my group and I honestly learn more each time I read or reread something….. God knew I needed this book as it will be one that I continue to reference to often…..My heart is heavy for all the prayer request that have been posted in my group, on here, and on FB in general..I want everyone to know that I am praying for each of you and will continue to do so..just because we are finishing the book “Unglued” doesn’t mean that we’ll never come “unglued” again and I pray that each of us will take the knowledge with us that we’ve read and apply it to our everyday lives……I will be praying for everyone’s “unglued” moments……..(((HUGS)))

11. Elaina Willard says:

Melissa,

I don’t blame you for screaming about an OBS cruise. How fun that would be to get together!!! I would love to do that!! Wonder if I could get my husband to send me for my 50th!!!

The friendships made it these bible studies are just incredible. I wish I could me you all in person.

You bible study has truly blessed me life.

Elaina

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

What a wonderful birthday gift that would be.

HUBBY – Did you get that request?

Blessings,
      Catherine

12. Anyone have suggestions on having a good Sabbath as a single mother of three? I have been doing this study with them playing all around me, but it really is a distraction. The best kind, but still….. I work at night so I usually only get a few hours sleep as it is, so staying up late or getting up early doesn’t work well. I’m open to any and all suggestions :)

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Danice,

Take this as you will and remember I never had any children, let alone being a single mother;
      Teach them praise songs as you bath them
      Pick a simple verse each week/month – say it out loud with your children at every opportunity
      I don’t know what your job is – but if you can while working – think on a truth from God – pray it over yourself and your co-workers
      A little bit of sabbath in a busy mom’s schedule.
      And remember -the most simple and effective prayer ever, can be said in a second any time, any where and brings abundant peace, joy, love, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control – JESUS (over and over and over and over – or just once).

Blessings,
      Catherine

13. p.s. Thanks in advance.

14. Charolette Ragsdale says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the Sandy tropical storm this week. I pray everyone is safe and out of harm’s way while this storm passes through over the next few days. I also cannot believe this is the final week of this study. I have gained a few new friends, learned a pivotal amount of information and am blessed to have learned about imperfect progress so I can make some necessary changes in my life that will benefit me any my relationships in the future. I have now read all the chapters of the book including the epilogue. What an amazing past six weeks. I just wanted to take this time to say thank you to Melissa, Lysa and everyone else who took the time to participate in this study. I am looking forward to being a part of the next OBS “Greater” starting next month. Have a blessed week everyone!

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Charlotte,

We are so happy that God was able to bless you in this study and guide you to a relationship closer to Him.

We are excited for GREATER things in our lives and happy you are joining us.

Blessings,
      Catherine

15. tsitsi sithole says:

Thank you Melissa &Unglued OBS group42 precious friends whom I may never see face to face but have showered &impacted my life throgh this first online bible study I’m too blessed even without having the unglued book my. Sisters in the group post amazing insights of every chapter I have written all essential notes memomery verses relevant posts thank you all

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

tsitis,

We are so happy you enjoyed the study of Unglued and formed some relationships with other Godly women.

Blessings,
      Catherine

16. I just have to share something. I love how the Lord works…yesterday my husband & I got into it a bit…he wasn’t happy that I asked our 12 yr old to put away dishes because it was a Sunday and should be a day of rest. While we don’t do much work on Sundays, sometimes it is inevitable, like cooking, changing a diaper, etc. Even Jesus healed on the Sabbath (not that cooking is healing). Anyway, I was very upset about this ordeal and then read todays chapter. WOW. It’s never occurred to me (and I’m not sure to him) to not just rest from work on the Sabbath, but to really devote it to the Lord. Sure,we go to church, but then we come home and he sits in front of the TV x months out of the year to watch football and so I just do my own thing while corralling our 5 kids. This chapter really opened my eyes to what the Sabbath really needs to be about and opening our hearts to the Lord. It was so refreshing. I am praying for an opportunity to share this with my husband. I doubt it will change his football watching, but maybe we can devote more time for quietly sitting before God and truly resting not only in body but spirit as well.

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Jamie

I will be praying for this discussion you will have with your hubby. Remember, wait for that small, silent prompting from the Spirit – He knows the right time and when your hubby will be receptive.

Blessings,
      Catherine

17. Thoughts on Chapter 11: Again a chapter I feel written directly for me! I have a hard time slowing down to the point I even sometimes read my devotionals quickly just to say that I did it…and that clearly is NOT the way to do it!! I need to really focus on taking this time and slowing down especially when it comes to my quiet time with God… which answers question one. (Where am I going my own way right now?)

Question 2: What one area of my life is more self pleasing than God pleasing? I think I will be all out honest here when I say I relate this to food. I tried doing the Made to Crave study and tried to put thoughts of God over thoughts of food…and I didn’t succeed and I am still not succeeding. Food is an addiction for me, and I need to keep working on this area in my life!!

Question 3: While idle words need to be reined in from running rampant in my mind or spilling from my lips? This goes right back to our last chapter on negative chatter for me. I continue to struggle in this area…along with others expectations that may not even be their minds but in my mind. (I loved Lysa’s explanation of her expectations verses her husbands)

As always, these chapters really tend to hit home and make you think honestly about ourselves. I thank this group that I feel safe in the ability to express my thoughts.

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Sue,

Wow – thanks for being honest and sharing.
      If I would suggest just one thing to get you started – pick one truth from God’s word that resonates with your spirit….memorize and concentrate on that one scripture/truth for a season – until it becomes a part of you, a integral part of who you are.

Blessings and many prayers,
      Catherine

18. Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

I know Melissa asked us to be honest and share so I am picking Question 2 – What area of my life is more self-pleasing than God-pleasing?
    That would be actual community attendance – church.
    i’m searching for where God would have me in this season.
    And when I am able to sleep, I do (4 hours per night is normal for me and sleeping long). Not an excuse just truthful.

19. deborah fultner says:

1.Where am I going my own way right now?
    I have to admit that when I saw the title of chapter 11, I wondered what the Sabbath had to do with being unglued. I knew about the Sabbath – it was Sunday and you were supposed to rest. We did that. When I went to college I forgot to rest. When stores opened on Sunday, I thought how could they do that? Mixed up thought process? You bet. Lysa’s chapter set me straight. I spend time praying for myself and others and situations like Sandy, and events like our Bible study. But I don’t have a time where I listen and get renewed. I don’t always experience joy, peace, patience and kindness. But I will when it’s his way and not my way.

2. What one area of my life is more self pleasing than God pleasing? My biggest problem is procrastinating. I know that God’s will for me is to be a witness to others for him. I do that by not letting my disease control me and by giving it to God. I believe there’s more. I started a book about how God guides me through everyday. ALS is a blessing to me. I want to share how I cope with life, my family, caregivers and friends. I think about it and what I will write but I never get there. I want to glorify God in my book and I’m afraid of not doing it right. I have rewritten the first paragraph four times. I’ve been praying about it and I trust God will guide me. Spending time with God to reflect and refocus is something I will do as I continue to seek his will.

3. What idle words need to be reined in from running rampant in my mind or spilling from my lips? My idle words or thoughts that run rampant in my mind are critical and directed at my husband. When I could talk, I verbalized them. I pray about this every day. I can feel Satan interfering all day. My husband is wonderful and doesn’t deserve my critical spirit. My husband doesn’t know what I’m thinking. He can tell when I’m upset. I could put it on the computer, but I feel hit in the face with it. I practice replacing the thoughts with kind thoughts and scripture. I will use the Sabbath as a time to rest and have conversation with God. This OBS has been life changing for me.

20. I am on Friday’s assignment. I just wanted to say, “Thank you.” I know there have been many hours put into this study. Making sure the assignments are posted each week. I enjoyed watching the encouraging videos from Melissa. Thank you Proverbs 31 for all your hard work and dedication. Thank you for encouraging women toward imperfect progress.