Nov 28

Lesser Loser Life, Greater Chapter 2

Today I’m including Wednesday’s and Thursday’s Week 1 Assignments.  I’ve included Thursday because it is our first Greater Blog Hop and I wanted you to know the topics so if you choose to participate, you will be ready!  I look forward to all of the blogs that will be posted here tomorrow!  If you aren’t a blogger, no worries. Just come back for the blessing of having the opportunity to read so many Greater messages!

Wednesday~ Read Chapter 2, Lesser Loser Life. Visit my blog, http://melissataylor.org/ to share your thoughts and insights.

Thursday~ It’s Greater Blog Hop Day!!! Whoo Hoo!  I love this! Today you can share your blog with us or just take a break and read what others are blogging about Greater. Visit my blog, http://melissataylor.org/ to share your blog or get links to others’ blogs. Instructions on how to post your blog will be in Thursday’s post.

This week’s topics…Pick one.
1. Greater Things. What are your thoughts on this week’s reflection verse?

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in Me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.   ~ John 14:12 NIV84

2. See ya Mediocrity! What would a “Greater” life for God look like to you?

“The president probably won’t release a statement calling us the greatest anything when we die…Nobody will post a blog entry about our lives…” pg 7

3. Lifted Up! Write a blog post lifting up someone in your life or a person from Scripture who inspires you to live greater!

Thoughts to share today:

Do you relate to having a “Lesser Loser Life?”

Read John 14:12, our reflection verse from this week. Go ahead and look it up. What does this verse mean for you in your life?

***Email subscribers, click here to share your thoughts with the group in the comment section of my blog.

Comments

1. Hi Melissa! I wanted to join the OBS this time but am unable to. However i am still making copies of every days assignments so that when i am able to study the book i will still be able to do it on my own. Praying for everyone and hope y’all had a great Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for the internet and the doors it has opened to be able to do studies like this, what blessings God has given us with this opportunity. I turned 60 the day the study started – Great time for a Greater study!
    May God richly bless all involved in this study.

2. Today as I reflect on my Lesser Loser Life I think about the complacency and the condemnation that keeps me in mediocrity.

This quote struck me from chapter 2 “My lesser loser life is the opposite of everything greater that God has called me to be.” p 16

When I spend time “aimlessly wandering around cyberspace”, watching frivolous television shows, or worrying about unimportant life drama I am wasting precious minutes/hours/days of my life instead of listening for God’s guidance on how to be and do greater. Instead I need to use my free time to listen and then make strides towards greater. Greater is going to take my time and energy. Watching television or playing on the internet for hours is in fact settling for less than He expects of me.

This is a humbling book.

• Oh Jenny, you are not alone….honestly? i wasn’t sure i could do an online bible study because I tend to get on and get mindless…..
      Yay you for facing your reality and allowing yourself to be humbled.

• wow, quick chapter….i love love loved it….
      favorite part? p. 21 “nobody does greater things for God because they’ve got it all together. and nobody is disqualified because they don’t.” LOVE IT.
      emphasis…..WE can be used, we CAN be GreatER.

i know, i KNOW…it’s not gonna be easy BUT! I have such hope….don’t you?!

• Barbara Prince says:

I’m trying to have hope, honest I am. I know what it means to be stuck in a “lesser loser” life. I did have dreams when I was young. I gave them all up for something different. I have to believe that God does know every day of my life before each one happens. He has to know that I still desire greater, even though I’m 66 and it the same town I was born in. He has to know that in the natural, it is impossible for me to get to that “greater”. But I will choose to believe that God can take a 66 year old women, whose body is in not so good shape, and still do something. Sarah was 90, right, and God used her to birth a nation.

• Barbara,

I pray that you can find God’s greater for you. I know that one of the people in my life who greatly influenced my faith journey is far older than you. God uses us right where we are. I am sending you a virtual hug so you know that someone on earth has faith in you too. Sometimes that something different leads us to even greater things.

• I also lovet the comment that was made on page 21. I know too that it won’t be easy, but I’m definitely up to the challenge. This study couldn’t have come at a better time in my life.

• Jenny,

This is totally me too. Watching TV, Facebooking, etc. God is really convicting me of this area too.

3. I just finished reading chapter 2, Lesser Loser Life. I am so thankful for Pastor Steven’s openness and honesty. It helps me to see that what I feel at times is not something that should be a roadblock in my achieving greater for God. His words are such an encouragement and inspiration.

I so feel the enemy attacking, telling me that I am not enough to accomplish anything greater. I definitely get trap by his condemnation. What stuck out to me the most in both of these chapters is “It’s all about what Jesus has already done and what He desires to do through us.”(pg. 25) I feel like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. My responsibility is obedience to God, not making it happen. John 14:12 just opened my eyes to it being the Holy Spirit that does the work and I need to have faith.

I can’t wait to see what God has beyond the fence for me and my family!

• Beautiful words, Paige. All too often we believers lose sight of the fact that Christ died for us…and that same power that allowed Him to defeat death resides in us. He chose 12 ordinary men to be His disciples – all were flawed – and yet they turned the world upside down. Why do Christian’s today fail to believe that Jesus can do the same with us? We just have to – as you said – be obedient.

4. This chapter had me nearly in tears. For nearly 5 years, I battled a horrific eating disroder – a disorder that not only ravaged my body but my mind. Every day for those 5 years, I let myself believe that I was ugly, unworthy, unlovable, a failure, and a dozen more things. It is only by the grace of God that I was able to overcome it. I allowed myself to love me – to see myself thru God’s eyes.

And while I am not in the throes of an eating disorder anymore. I still have moments where I feel paralyzed by negative thoughts. There are days where I am almost certain I am failing as a wife, mother, daughter, friend, and a child of God.

I am a sinner who fails each day. But I am a sinner saved by grace, called by the creator of the Universe to be HIS daughter. And I REFUSE to live in fear any longer. I REFUSE to listen to the enemy tell me that I am not good enough. Jesus Christ thought that I was worth dying for – and now it is time for me to start living like it.

• God bless you Kim. You have come so far and you should feel so proud. Just hang in there and we will be praying for you. Isnt God’s grace and love great?

• Catherine OBS Group Leader says:

Jenny,

Your life reflects mine and your thoughts reflect mine. The mindless activity of TV and the internet are such distraction – a life of mediocrity.
        Thank you for being so honest.

Blessings,
        Catherine

• Kimberly, thank you for your honesty here. This is some tough stuff, and you’ve done great to come to the realizations that you have. One of the things that I think people forget sometimes, is just because we’re not “in the throes” of whatever issue, Satan can still use those negative cassette tapes playing over and over in our brains to mess with us. I love your strong refusal to listen to those thoughts! Go you!

• Barbara Prince says:

Kim, I don’t know if you know it or not, but I know many women with eating disorders. Your testimony, right here, might be enough to give one of them hope. Now wouldn’t that be awesome! I have a niece who nearly died from an eating disorder. She has always been a sweet Christian women. With the support of wonderful Christian friends and a great, loving husband, she is doing very well.

• God bless you for your transparency Kim. It is seeing ourselves through His eyes that brings the change. Negative thoughts have been an issue for me and still are to some degree in my life. Through God we are able to change. Praying for you.

5. After reading Chapter 2 I realized I have been stuck in this stagnant place in my life with God. Shame on me.. I looked back on what I had set out to accomplish in my life .After being saved I started reading books from Mother Theresa and her mission work in India.The readings are so beautiful. I had said that after my son graduated from high school and maybe even before I wanted to go there and do some mission work. Slowly my dream seem less and less a reality. Now I am refocused on my dream and work for God. I need to pray and get God to lead me to take the steps to get to India or where he wants me to engage in my mission work.
    Anything is possible with God…

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Monika that is so true and start where you are today – anything is possible with God. Hang in there – if God wants you to go to India it is NEVER too late. I went back to college with my kids and was 54 when I graduated. In the meantime mission work can begin right here at home thru this study – thru you – with friends and family. That’s how God is using me right now to accomplish His mission at home. Every post I make on facebook and in my small group here in this study of Greater is a reflection of Him and what He is doing in my life. We need missionaries here too right now, in this place and you can start today. Thank you for your wonderful post!

• Barbara Prince says:

My pastor has always asked us how many of us have friends, or neighbors, or co-workers, or family who are not saved. I stagger at that knowing that many people in my little town do not know Jesus Christ and I am not reaching them, nor do I know how to reach them.

6. It is amazing to me how sly the enemy is with his ways of manipulating us; even using God’s word to condemn us. I go from “not good enough” to thinking I am “okay” and really the enemy has robbed me of my passion for greater things and I am oblivious to it! I really do need to be sober and alert because the enemy’s ultimate desire is to stop people from seeing the Greater Christ in me. I was so touched by Pastor Steven’s telling how God showed him studying for a sermon for his church was not the same as studying for his own personal relationship with God. Wow! God is all about our hearts and it is so easy to stand behind the “plow” of church works and not even see we have allowed the works for the Lord to become mundane. I figure when we do that, it pretty much stinks like ox dung to Him to! : ) LOVE THIS STUDY! Thank you!

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Sarah we forget the enemy plays with us in complacency – that’s where I was at one point – thinking how wonderful I was – how perfect life was and finding out that was His lie. I love these studies and how they keep me close to my Lord daily and prayer I will be greater thru Him and for Him!

7. Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, but I am so glad I found Melissa and her Online Bible Study through the Proverbs 31 site. (And Melissa, if you read this, I too have a son named Blake who is away at college for his freshman year -though we say university in Canada-and I miss him awfully!!)

The first thing that most struck me in Chapter 2 were the words “God doesn’t do great things exclusively through great people. he does them through anyone who is willing to trust Him in greater ways.” If we really think about it, there are man examples of ordinary people who do amazing things not just in the Bible, but all around us. I don’t have to be anyone “special” to serve God, I can just be plain old me. It kind of takes the pressure off.
    The second thing I noted were the words “obedience to God’s voice is the only definitive path to Greater.” This made me think immediately of that little voice in my head that says “you should do this….” or “you shouldn’t do this.” Instead of saying “hush up you – I really want to do what I want to do!” I must immediately obey. Because, of course, that “little voice” isn’t so little. :)

• I completely agree! the best thing is we may not be special by the worlds terms, but each of us are special to Christ. I sometimes struggle with trusting that not so little voice. Sometimes I am afraid that it is not really him. but I guess that is where faith comes in. Thanks for sharing.

• Barbara Prince says:

Aisha, I have to share a story a pastor once told about that “still small voice”. He said, If it’s the devil talking he sure won’t put any doubt into your mind, but if it God talking, Satan will put lots of doubt into your mind. If your tempted to do something good, go ahead and do it. God won’t mind.” The quote might not be word for word, but its close. May God bless your every good deed.

• Yes Sarita, I do read this and I will pray for you and your Blake :) Thank you for doing the study with me!

• Sarita, those are the exact two passages I wrote in my notebook! Oh, how they speak to my heart and my life right now.

8. I deeply believe that God works through us in great ways. So many times I have encouraged people with words of God’s strength or prayed for them to let God work in their lives and then I turn around and for some reason believe that my own weaknesses are stronger than God’s Power. I’m looking forward to see what God shows me about my lack of perseverence or actually procrastination in things I feel Him calling me to do.

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Praying for you Darla. Keep those positive thoughts and let God show you what He can do thru you if you will let Him. You have already started when you signed up for this study – now read, listen, think positive thoughts! You can do it – you are doing it – one small step is all it takes. You’re there – hang in there!

9. I can definitely relate to the “Lesser Loser Life” chapter. I believe my biggest enemy to living in the greater life is ME! Just like Pastor Steven talked about. I lack the confidence in myself sometimes to take a risk at the greater life, but when I think on that, it’s really that I’m lacking the faith in God using me….because there is NO me, I can’t do a thing!…it’s GOD through me. That’s what God is showing/reminding me of as I read this chapter today. I love where he states that “God doesn’t just do great things through great people, He does them through anyone willing to trust Him in greater ways.” It reminded me of a statement my pastor said years ago that I wrote on the front page of my Bible…”God is the extraordinary in me!” I believe that rings true for this chapter. God takes the ordinary individual and does EXTRAORDINARY things through them…through ME…if we/I just trust and obey Him. Our reflection verse, John 14:12, proves that….God says ANYONE who has faith in me will do even greater things. I believe what will be helpful for me will be to daily tell myself “GREATER is He that is in me, than he that is in the world” as I strive for the greater life God has for me. That will help me in “cropping out the condemnation” the devil tries to use against me each day to keep me from the greater life. Each day when I wake up, I want the devil to say “oh no, she’s awake!” :) I want to be greater for my GREAT GOD!

10. What the verse means to my life is belief is the first step. I must BELIEVE in God AND believe that He wants greater things from my life. And be open to the Holy Spirit working through me.

11. I am so thankful for Pastor Steven’s transparency. How often I think this person or that person or because they are a preacher they have it “all together” and how I am lesser because I am human, full of flaws, and daily sin. However, I am so thankful he was real and shared his “lesser loser life.” I guess because it makes me feel less of a loser that we all have those thoughts at some point… ??? I related to several parts of this chapter…I truly am my own worst enemy. I let my poor self-esteem and self-talk defeat me all the time. I do belive God can do great things. But I often crop myself out of the picture. I often talk myself out of greater things…”that couldn’t possibly be for me.” “I can’t afford that.” “What will I do with my family?” “What will they think of me?” I am so thankful that even though I feel like a complete screwup sometimes, God can do greater things. I think my most favorite part of this entire chapter was: ” God doesn’t do greater things exclusively through great people. He does them through anyone who is willing to trust Him in greater ways.” Praise Jesus I don’t have to “have it all together” I just have to be willing and obedient.

• Shawna, you’re right — people often seem to have it together from the outside, but the truth is we’re all flawed. I know this all too well from personal experience. I don’t want to hijack your thread, so I’ll post my story separately, but just wanted you to know that your comment really rang true with me.

• I really connected with this part of the chapter as well! I always look at others who are in ministry and think they all have it together, and in a way I too was really relieved that even Pastor Steven battles with these issues as well! As many of you stated I also loved, “Nobody does greater things for God because they’ve got it all together. And nobody is disqualified because they don’t. I’ve so likely been holding myself back with self doubt!

• That really resonated with me too! I’ve been so guilty of looking at others’ lives and thinking they have it all together or that they don’t have much to struggle with. And then using that as an excuse in my own life. I needed a kick in the pants there!

12. “We believe God can do great things but we crop ourselves out of the picture.” This is what I do. And I do it literally sometimes too! I don’t like having my photo taken, being the center of attention, even telling a story to a group of friends. I certainly am not good enough for God to use me in any way. This one of the lies I see and battle each day. I need this study and to read this book. Thank you for being here.

• That’s one of the quotes that stood out to me too. And I’m the same way, using this quote figuratively and literally! Praying for the both of us today … That we can banish the thinking that we’re not good enough. That this book will help us forget that lie, and turn into being greater! Blessings to you!

13. “breaking out of the orbit of complancency and mediocity requires waging war aganist an enemy. Surprisingly, I find over and over again that my greatest enemy of the greater life God has for me is….me.” p.28 I could not have said it better! Sometimes I think we give satan too much credit. So immediately I thought – how do I wage war aganist myself? Well for me, it is the renewing of my mind to Gods word and guarding my heart by watching what comes out of my mouth. Also, when those negative thoughts come that don’t line up with Gods truth, I have to make a concious effort to reject them. I personally think we will always have opposition to living this greater life that will come in many forms, but we have to simply trust and belive God. I always tell my self that God does not give me a spirit of fear and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. That gets me through some of the most insecure moments of my life!

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Love your post Aisha. I use that same verse that I can do all things thru Him. I love a new one I learned this week from Melissa Ross Taylor. She told us in the telephone call on Monday that the Jesus that worked miracle after miracle is the same Jesus who is in you! She encouraged us when we are feeling disappointed to keep saying “Jesus In Me”. I love it – now when I want to feel bad about something I just repeat Jesus in me, Jesus in me. Try it – you’ll love it.

14. It’s nice to see in this chapter that someone you look up to spiritually, someone you think has it all together, still doubts himself. Still has to work at being greater.

One of the quotes that spoke to me in this chapter was “We believe God can do great things. But we crop ourselves out of the picture.” p. 20 That’s exactly how I feel. I know God can make miracles happen. I’ve witnessed one in my own life. I know He is greater, and can do great things. But I don’t believe I am capable of being greater. Of doing greater things than I am now. I think one of the problems I have, and am going to have, in accomplishing this is that I’m not really sure how to listen to God. I don’t know how to hear him, and how to truly figure out the plans he has for me and what he wants me to do. I’m unsure of where to start. What to do. How to approach being greater through Him. Does that make sense??

I enjoyed this chapter, and am looking forward to reading about Elisha!

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Sarah Joy what you are saying makes sense to me. I had that problem too – went to church listened to the preacher, went to Sunday school but life was still lacking. I find that if I pray – many times on my knees – He will give me the peace I need to know that it is Him speaking. Pastor Steven told us to start where we are. Sometimes we do great things right where we are. Maybe you are trying to jump ahead too far. Slow down, wait on Him, relax right here where you are today in this study and be still, wait, and you’ll know when He is talking to you. I promise. I started these studies – only my third one here – and I know and I hear now that I have slowed down from this hectic world to study His word and spend time with Him. Start small that was what we were told by the Pastor where you are and expect greater things. Sometimes those greater things will happen thru other people whose lives you are touching – just being you – just being a Christian. The pastor also shared how he was saved thru a brother in law, and how that one gesture has led him where he is to minister to many people. Be still, don’t worry so much, and wait! Touch lives now where you are – I call that Great!

15. This chapter definitely resonated with me. I let self-doubt and negative self-talk limit God. No use pretending it’s anything else — I’m preventing God from doing what he wants to with me. I loved how Pastor Furtick described having to literally talk himself out of the dark place in order to deliver a sermon. I’m there, too!

A little background on me. My dad is a pastor, but he sexually abused me while I was a teenager. No one in the church knew, but our life at home was terrible. It made me question all kinds of things — but especially, how can someone be a respected member of the church and community during the day, and this hurtful, scary person at night? I think it’s made me feel like everyone lives a facade, and we have no idea what’s going on behind that perfect picture that people present.

I still think my dad is a great pastor. In the last 15 years since I confronted him and he repented, I think he’s becoming a great dad, too. God is still using this hugely flawed human to touch lives and do greater things for Him. If God can still use my dad, surely he can use me, too. Right?

• God is already using you. Just by you sharing this story. Your love and forgiveness of your father are both testimonies to the greater God is doing in your life.

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

• Heather,
      Thanks for sharing your background with us. God is truly working through you and your father, just by telling others about your life growing up. Your story really spoke to me. I pray God will use you and let you see he has greater things for your life.

• Thank you, Melissa and Brittany. I try very hard not to be ashamed of a past that I didn’t cause — I just hope that my willingness to be open about these things will help destigmatize the victims and allow us all to find our way to healing. Can you believe that an estimated 1 in 3 women has been victimized sexually at some point in their life? That’s a lot of people that sure are quiet about their pain.

• God bless you for sharing. What a wonderful work God has done in you and your father’s lives that you have been able to move beyond that. What the devil meant for evil….. God is using you to do greater things by reaching others.

16. I found myself laughing (nervously laughing) as I read chapter 2. I was struck by the same comment that many here were struck by: We believe God can do great things but crop ourselves out of the picture. While one of my gifts is photography and art and working with Photoshop, I rarely find myself cropping myself out of the picture but that is only because I don’t put myself in the picture in the first place. I am often (99.9% of the time) the one behind the camera (literally and figuratively). It is a good place for this introvert to be (hide) and a hard reality to face. Though I can justify this 101 Godly sounding ways the sound is hollow and rings dull. What to do, what to do…

• Christa (OBS small group leader) says:

Genny, What to do is to put your beautiful Greater self right out there in front of the camera! Imagine what it would look like if you cropped yourself INTO the picture instead of out of it. What could God do in the lives of others using your talents? How would those around you be blessed by your love, your friendship and your encouragement? Crop yourself in, sister, and see what God does!

• You have so much beauty to offer, make sure you include yourself in God’s great gift! (I can only say this because I am horribly guilty of the same thing.)

17. I can relate to the `Cropping Out Condemnation` section. (pg.20)
    Feeling like such a screw-up and that God could never use me.
    I read my Bible daily even tho the Enemy twists and turns what I am reading so that I feel condemned. Even tho I know this, it’s hard to dig out from under the condemnation because there is a trace of truth to what I’m hearing.
    I do believe `Greater` is all about what Jesus has already done (pg. 21) Yet, I crop myself out of the picture. My secret desire is that He would use me.

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Oh Michelle I am lifting you up sweet child of the King. Did you know you are “His Princess”, His Child and He never wants you to feel like a screw-up because you aren’t. God can use any of us – look at all the people He used in the Bible – oh yes I think we are all as capable as them and yes some of them were what some of us would call “screwed up”. Praying you will dig out from under this condemnation and reflect on what a wonderful child of God you are. He loves you so much and it hurts Him for us to feel like we are “messed up”. You aren’t – love yourself for who you are in Him and stay in this study and I am praying with you that He will use you. He already has today by your boldness in sharing here with all of us. Hugs to you sweet beautiful child of God.

• Michelle I know what it feels like to live in condemnation and feel like a failure. We must continue to recognize those thoughts as lies from the enemy and love ourselves like God loves us. Take those thoughts to Christ and lean on His truth. It is a work in progress through Him.

18. Jennifer N (OBS group leader) says:

I have been so blessed in reading Chapters 1 and 2 this week and I pray this is ONLY the beginning.

‘Nuggets’ from Chapter 2:

“….we miss out on what God wants to do through us because we listen to the voice of the enemy telling us, you’ll never be good enough. And God could never use someone with your weaknesses, hang-ups, secret struggles, and dysfunctions.”

2 Corinthians 10:5
    New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
    5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (from our Unglued study!!)

“If the devil can’t suck us into the lesser loser life through complacency, he’ll trap us with condemnation.”

Romans 8:1~Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

19. Christa (OBS small group leader) says:

Arrghh!! There is that “O” word again!!! Obedience!! “Obedience to God’s voice is the only definitive path to Greater.” Lord, must you fling that word at me every where I turn?!?!? Why yes…you must….because I still don’t listen! And thank you, Lord, for not leaving me where I am…for always keeping at me until I “get it”.

20. Ginny B - OBS leader says:

‎”breaking out of the orbit of complacency and mediocrity requires waging war against an enemy. Surprisingly, I find over and over again that my greatest enemy of the greater life of God has for me is…me.” ch. 2

I didn’t grow up in a Christian home, so my introduction to God at a young age was piecemeal and often confusing. My mom claims to follow Jesus, but we never went to church when I was growing up and even now she attends very sporadically. I don’t remember a Bible in my house. Dad was everything from an athiest, to Satanist to agnostic, and everything in between. He has a huge interest in religions, but no affiliation with any for any length of time. I can remember asking about God when I was little and being told that God was everywhere and a part of everything. So I asked if my dad was God since God was in all of us. He said yes, my mom got MAD!

Growing up I got involved in some very dark stuff. I’ll just say that it was those experiences that got me to really begin to seek out whether there really was a god. After all, if the things I saw were real (and they were evil) then there had to be a good to balance it. It wasn’t until after my children were born that I began a relationship with Jesus and only within the last 10 years or so that I truly claimed Him as my Lord.

That being said, there are a lot of times that I feel like the things I have done that have hurt God far outweigh the good. The flesh side of me says that He must hold a grudge. I read something once that really captured how I feel when that side starts talking. I feel like I accidentally get a pass through the “saved” door. Not because He truly loves me but because He doesn’t go back on His promises. Like I get in on a technicality. How can God use a technicality?

Now, I KNOW that this isn’t how He sees me, and that He doesn’t have technicality cases, but sometimes those thoughts, those doubts creep in and I begin to question how this girl who hasn’t known Him for long, who played for the other team previously, and who still messes up can become a REAL player on the Greater team. Fortunately we serve a God who wipes the slate clean, forgives those who ask for it with a repentant heart, and who truly loves us!

21. Donna Jasso says:

As I read chapter 2, I was struck by a couple of things that Pastor Furtick said. The first was “God doesn’t do greater things exclusively through great people He does them through anyone who is willing to trust Him in greater ways.” The second, “Obedience to God’s voice is the only definitive path to greatness.” Wow! Both of these statments hit home for me. My biggest problems are trusting God enough to give Him control and staying quiet enough to hear His voice. I want to serve Him in greater ways! Please pray for me that I can give up control to Him and shut my mouth long enough to hear Him and His plan for my life.

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Oh Donna I have just lifted you up in prayer. Just remember what Pastor Furtick has said also to start here where we are right now. Start where you are and you can learn to be quieter. In our last study Unglued, we learned that there is “power in the pause”. By that Deborah Pegues taught us to stop before we speak – just pause sometimes and think before you blurt. That taught me so much. I have prayed that you can give up control to Him and you just start right now, one moment at a time, right where you are at this moment. I’m trusting God to show you His mighty work and in big way. Blessings to you Donna and big Hugs and remember there is truly power when you pause.

• Donna Jasso says:

Debbie,

Thank you! I know that I have to listen more, I am doing so much for the Lord now, that I have neglected my husband. I need a Word from God to know what things are really what He wants for me and what things are for my own “glory” so that I can be a “greater” wife in addition to doing “greater” things for Him.

Blessings,

Donna

• Donna,
          Wow! You wrote exactly what I was thinking and feeling. I wrote those exact quotes from the book in my journal. I too struggle with giving up control and being quiet and still long enough to hear God’s voice. My prayer every night before I have my study time is for God to quiet my mind so I can hear His voice.

• Donna Jasso says:

Michelle,

Those quotes really hit home for me and I wrote them in my journal too! I did not realize until a couple of weeks ago, when my husband and I went to a Weekend to Remember Marriage Conference and I learned a hard lesson…an affair does not neccesarily mean sexually; it can be anything that takes priority over your marriage, including serving the Lord. This is why I really need to hear a word from the Lord so that I can make sure that I am respecting and serving my husband. I need to listen to be “greater” in all areas of my life, not just in serving Him, but in serving my husband as well.

22. Sheri Hanson says:

I wish I could really discern God’s voice in my head. How on earth do I know it is him and not just my own wishes? I would love to be a part of something that changes the world in a positive in a global manner. I want my son to have an impact on this world in a global manner as well. It doesn’t have to be global but it would be awesome if it could be~

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Sheri it can be if we let it. Just be still and you’ll know – you know when it’s right – I did – I found these online Bible studies – actually God led me to them. It has changed me and it is changing my entire family. Start where you are today – give Him what you can today and leave Him to do the rest as long as you are a willing servant. We are global here – Melissa Ross started a little Bible Study for herself so she could study the word – look where we are today – GLOBAL and it’s because she started what where she was with no dream of this – ONLY GOD!

23. Oh wow! Isn’t it amazing what happens when a group of people get together to study God’s word and share their life stories? We find out we are not alone and that we are not all that different.

For me- not only did I see myself all over this chapter but in each persons comments above. Its so easy for me to see the potential in every other person out there but somehow when it comes to me- I feel its different. That Gods word can’t change me- even though I know it can. And it never fails that just when I feel like I am making headway –the enemy starts trying harder.

I heard it said one time that we have to stop comparing our “behind the scenes footage with everyone else’s highlight reel.” We all struggle even when those around us look like they have it all together. So anything that we believe to be possible for them- is possible for us if we only hand it all over to God and let him take the reigns in our life.

I feel so blessed to be on this journey with so many others- I cannot wait to see God do amazing things in EACH ONE OF US!!!

• Donna Jasso says:

Julie,

I love that and will have to start using it-“we have to stop comparing our behind the scenes footage with everyone else’s highlight reel.” I can see that so clearly in my head! You are right anything is possible for any of us if we just let God take the reigns.

I pray that you and each one of us in this study find the “greater” God has in store for us!

• “Behind the scenes footage with everyone else’s highlight reel”…yes! I’ve been trying to remember that quote! It’s soooo true. Thank you!

24. I’ll be honest in saying that I’ve read chapter 2 like 5 times now…really trying to ‘soak it in’, meditating on God’s word & promises. I’m very drawn to the parts where Pastor Furtick offers up his own insecurities and doubts.

Growing up in and out of church, I’ve got this deep-rooted ‘idea’ that I have to be ‘better’ than what I am to really, fully feel like I belong in a group of people that seem to have it all together…always smiling, praising God & appearing to be walking that walk all the while, I’m stumbling along the way. But…at least I’m stumbling because that means I’m walking…sitting still (being complacent) will keep you from getting bruised but, you will not build the muscles it takes to climb to the TOP!! Thank you, Pastor, for identifying with me on an oh, so personal level…’Nobody does greater things for God because they’ve got it all together. And nobody is disqualified because they don’t’. That’s a wonderful reminder at times when I am giving into the ‘voice of the enemy’.

Dear Lord, be with me (& this group) to hear the voice of You instead of our enemy. Lord, you know it’s so easy to just feel down & unworthy. Please, lift us up when we need to be up. I ask, in Jesus name, that we may each, in our own ways, hear what we need to hear from this study. Thank you for our many blessings, to which we owe you all the honor and glory.
    In Jesus name,
    Amen

• Debbie W. (OBS Leader) says:

Oh Father God I thank you right now for who you are and for allowing me to be here to read all these precious posts. I thank you for Becky’s boldness in sharing how she feels and know that can be so true in our lives and in our churches. Oh Lord we do want to hear your voice and we do want to be lifted up. I just lift Becky up to you this moment Father. Bless her Father along with every single person that is in this Greater study. Of Father may you be glorified in every word that is said, every knee that is bowed, every page in our Greater books that is turned and every word Father. We just ask that as people study these chapters that they will pause and reflect what is really written there. I thank you Father that Becky has read this 5 times and I pray we hear more women and men, boys and girls share that same testimony. We just pray you put a fire in all of us that we will want to read and re-read and underline and highlight and just relish in every single word Father. Thank you, thank you for what you have done already thru this study, thru me and my family, and what you are going to do. Thank you for Melissa and her OBS group and all they do to bring us here, to this place where we can reflect on you and truly walk the walk. We love you Father and praise your Holy name. AMEN

• Thank you Debbie for lifting us, as well as myself, in such a heartfelt prayer. Your prayer resonates deep within & I really appreciate that! :)

I will continue to praise God through whatever lies in my path and though I may stumble, I will never fall…of this, I am sure. Circumstances in my life have shown me that God has been with me, even when I (The enemy’s voice)was sure He dismissed me because I was not ‘worthy’ or ‘acceptable’. I still have a long way to go in my walk with the Lord but, I will BE greater, DO greater, THINK greater & SEE greater!! This, I pray, for us all!

I want to quickly add that this is the first OBS and really the first actual study I’ve ever done & I’m loving it…thank you all for your time and dedication to our Awesome God!!!

25. I am living in apathy. Our church is going through a transition, searching for new pastor. My husband and I are just hanging in. The former pastor was not challenging us to grow or delivering sermons to encourage our spiritual lives. We are waiting to see what the new pastor is like. We feel empty and dry. We are well aware of “greater” God can do through us, through our church, but there is no drive for that anymore for us. I am hoping this study will put a new spark in me. I need something.
    thank you for praying for your online students.

• Rose,

I just wanted to share with you that my husband and I are just coming out of a situation similar to what you tell of here. For 12 years we have attended a small church in our hometown…..the same one we were married in. We have been involved in so many areas such as youth leaders, womens ministry organizing functions etc. About 3 years ago- the Lord made it extremely clear to me that something had to change. I was too involved and I was becoming burnt out because there was nothing “refueling our fire” so to say. We hated the thought of leaving but knew in our hearts that certain things were not right. The church was shrinking and they were not interested in reaching out and bringing new lives to Christ. We visited a few other churches hoping that we could be refueled and bring back some passion to our home church. We tried for 3 years and everyone was so resistant to change. During this time I felt dry, and I felt I could not discern what God wanted all though I know it was something much more. Finally this summer we broke all ties with the other church – and ever since then God has opened us up to so many exciting opportunities. My husband has grown in his faith two fold! It was not an easy decision- I am a people pleaser and do not want anyone upset at me and this decision left many other talking about us behind our backs. I am at peace with it all and that is how I know we made the right decision for us.

Rose, I am not saying that you should leave your church- I am just letting you know that God does have a plan. Just be still and wait and He will open doors for you to walk through.

I will be praying that the Lord works in and through you (and everyone else doing this study) to go out and make a difference to everyone around us.

Blessings to you!

• Thank you! That is an encouragement. We really need to pray more about what God wants us to do. But the words..”burnt out, and needing to refuel our fire ” rang a bell for me.

26. Oh I so related to this chaper as I often feel like I lead a double life. There’s church going, Bible reading, nice Tricia and then there’s selfish, money hungry, procastinating, likes her wine and occassional cigarrtte Tricia, who shows up more often than not. It’s a bit discouraging in a way to know that there is no escaping this Loser Self until we die. To accept it though is the first step and to see it written in public by a pastor no less was great! Now it’s time to work on being Greater and Greater as we edge Loser self to the sidelines!

27. On a side note Zig Ziglar died today. I can think of few better examples of a man who lived a greater and greater life through God! RIP ZZ.

28. Michelle N says:

Like so many of you have shared today- this chapter and all your comments have truly touched me. I too struggle with believing that God would or wants to use me for something greater. Hearing that even Pastor Furtick questions his life and his contributions really spoke to me. The quote that spoke to me was from page 21 “But in spite of all the parts of us that are anything but good, god is holding the doors open to a life that is greater”. Wow. What a reminder. I know God forgives. I know my slate is wiped clean. But it is something I know rationally rTher than something I BELIEVE in my heart. This book, the online bible study and all your alls comments have really helped me to remember that I, too, a sinner can do something greater. Thank you to all that have shared. What an awesome community we have here!! <3

29. I really liked the following portions from the chapter:
    “Nobody does greater things for God because they have it all together. And nobody is disqualified because they don’t.”
    “God doesn’t do greater things exclusively through great people. he does them through anyone who is willing to trust him in greater ways. ”
    I feel like this can speak to just about anyone, because it feels like with faith and church based life that only the perfect looking people can work for God or do good and be blessed by God. That is not true, but it often feels that way. Church leaders are put on pedestals, and it often brings up doubts in their lives because they know the truth.

30. I can so relate to the “lesser loser life” I have finally started to face the reality that I have used my health as an excuse for doing more. I spend most of my days watching television, being on the computer or sleeping. I use to fight through my pain and health issues but once I had the cancer diagnosis and had to give up my business I really let things go. Then I listened to my mom about taking it easy and not over doing things, well since she has passed away 5 weeks ago as I try to come to terms with her passing I’m trying to also find the old me again at least the part of me that had a passion for something in life and wasn’t just giving up and giving in. The first two chapters of this book has been convicting but also very encouraging. I just need to get caught up doing the questions at the end of the chapters.

• I am lifting you up in prayer with your cancer and your mother’s passing. My mom has been gone for over 11 years now and I still feel the loss. Only through God have I moved beyond the pain of it. I am praying God will hold you in His loving arms and bring you peace.

31. “God doesn’t do greater things exclusively through great people. He does them through anyone who is willing to trust Him in greater ways” This is powerful and spoke directly to me in a greater way than I could have imagined. I know the upcoming chapters revealing Elisha’s life and obedience to God’s voice will too!

32. Kristy Aiken says:

#2 I am not sure what my greater is yet…for now my greater would be to completely trust God and trust that my prayers aren’t returned void. I have a bondage of fear and worry that has eaten away at me too long. My greater would rock my world of God could enable to crush my fear and worry.

33. For a while now I have had a feeling I should be doing something, something more for God. Never feeling like I’m good enough to do anything for Him , honestly was searching for a part time job when I found this online study. Gods timing is amazing! My life is a lesser losser life, I am really having my eyes opened. I’m not sure what greater is but I’m so ready!

34. Such a beautiful chapter of Hope!

Having become so addicted to living in a “lesser looser life” how do I stop now, and what sort of greater could I become, what is the greatness that God has already done for me and is calling me to part take in…

At the moment it is indeed hard to “believe in it right now”. It does indeed “feel like a place so far away, that I”ll never make it there before sundown.”

All I can see is are failures in my walk with Christ, my unfaithfulness in following Him, my settling down into good enough living and giving room to mediocre things of the world and flesh.

But the chapter offers so many nuggets of hope.

“God doesn’t do greater things exclusively through great people He does them through anyone who is willing to trust Him in greater ways”
    My favourite nugget of hope for a greater me in this chapter is this: “In spite of all the parts of us that are anything but good, God is holding the door open to a life that is greater.” Amen.

It all boils down to my obedience, to what I will do with the stirrings in my heart from the reading of these chapters.
    I need obedience, “obedience to God’s voice, which is the only definitive path to greatness.”

Lord teach us to obey. Give us the strength and grace to obey your voice as you call us to raise up each day from the mediocre lives we are living, and do the greater things “you have already done for us and desire to do through us” each day.

35. Just the other day a thought occurred to me…my biggest hindrance in moving forward is me! Yes, I am my own worst enemy. As chapter 2 says, you can live a good life & still be haunted by a sense that on the other side of the fence that marks off the life you’re living is a greater place that God is preparing for you. I allow complacency & condemnation to keep me on the inside of the fence. The two C’s keep me from taking a step outside in faith to see the greater God has for me. I listen to that voice of the enemy & doubt creeps in. I allow the enemy to suck me into the lesser loser life. Lesser Loser Life…excuse me, can you show me the exit please? Since obedience is the only path to greater, I’m opening my ears & my heart to hear what God is telling me. I am trusting that God can do greater things through anyone who is willing to trust Him in greater ways. Yes, Lord? I’m listening…

36. Jeanie Kelley says:

Chapter 2 was such a good chapter for me today. The one thing that I got was that my greatest enemy of the greater life God has for me is me–wow. I never knew it was me. I thought it was other situations that were taking place. I will need to change this. The lesser life is opposite of everything greater that God has called me to do. Another wow moment for me. I am satisfying with just the mundane things and not going on to greater things. Also something that needs to change.

37. Erica Walker says:

Most, if not all, of these posts could be written by me! It is such a great feeling to know that I am not alone. I have so many random negative thoughts that go through my head daily. I try to replace them with positive thoughts, but they seem to get worse. Chapter 2 showed me that it’s ok to be imperfect and flawed. The more imperfections I have, the more I NEED my perfect God. I have to stop telling myself that I don’t deserve greater. God created me…specific and purposefully. He thinks I deserve greater…who am I to argue with that? I just need to get out of my bead and stop beating myself up and tearing g myself down. I’ve witnessed God miracles personally…how can I still doubt him or his plan? I was born with cysts on both of my ovaries. God removed them without a trace of them ever being there 10 years ago. Why do that if I am not worth it? If he does.t want greater things for me? I am so thankful for this study. Two chapters down and I am already being humbled and seeing the lies of myself and satan. I am praying for us all!

38. “I find over and over again that my greatest enemy of the greater life God has for me is…me.”

Exactly! As Beth Moore might say, “Can I get a witness??”

I am absolutely my own worst enemy. That frustrates me because I can’t blame my mediocrity on anyone but myself!

I need God to be the “greater” in me, because I fail miserably by myself.

39. Sally Orwig says:

Man this chapter hit me hard. I was one of those growing up that I was told I would never amount to anything and that was by my Father. In fact he still tells me that but I do not let Satan get to me. I have put my self through college because I wanted to prove to myself and my family that I could do it. I went from college to college never finishing a degree. Well I have just gotten my AA degree and my BS degree in management. Now whether I put it to work or not I do not know, but I know that I finished. That was a greater moment for me. Yes Satan tries and get to me by telling me or having myself tell myself I will never accomplish anything, but then I go back and think of what I have accomplished and know I can do greater!

40. In the last six months, I have been undergoing a transformation with Christ moving in my life in so many ways. There are so many points of GRACE along the way. Greater is exactly the book I needed to read. It is almost as if Jesus is reading it to me. The Lesser Loser Life touched me on so many levels. Steven referred to the world, the flesh and the devil “systematically sabatoging God’s plan for your life.” It is like they are all rolled up in me and I am that which is holding ME back from God’s plan for my life. It IS because I have not been able to move from this frozen state of believing the lie, “God could never use someone with your weakness, hand-up’s, SECRET STRUGGLES, and dysfunctions.”

I grew up in a home with a mom addicted to pills and who I believed would commit suicide like my grandfather (her dad). Little did I anticipate that I would be her caregiver because of a massive brain bleed at the age of 52 shortly after my parent’s divorce after 32 years of marriage. Four years ago my dad died of cancer, unforgiving of my choice to care for my mom. I found myself disappearing out of social circles after his death due to unresolved forgivness. Finally immersed in church around the time of his death, it seems that the more closely I pursue God, the more the enemy holds my thoughts captive.

I started blogging and immersing myself in ladies Bible studies. I sought a mentor and friend who will tell it like it is. Learning to replace the NOISE in my head with TRUTH is difficult. Going through this, while building FOUNDATIONAL TRUTHS is like going to college all over again; yet this time I am in my 40’s and tired because of the busy”ness” of life rather than finding a way to remain in the stillness of Him.

Wow… did I really just share this? I guess admitting it all is the first step. If I can just get beyond the hate of me, I can probably get to the LOVE of Him and what a JOYFUL and peaceful day that will be…GreatER than any Lesser Loser Life I have allowed myself to indulge.

• Donna Jasso says:

Liz,

My heart goes out to you, I wanted to cry when I read your post. You obviously are a very loving, giving, and forgiving person or you would not have taken care of your mother while she was sick. I’m glad that you shared your heart, and yes, it is the first step to healing. I pray that you can forgive yourself and stop hating yourself, you are God’s daughter and He loves and has forgiven you for all of your sins. I pray that you will find God’s plan for a greater purpose for you in this study and that you find happiness and fulfillment. <3

Blessings,

Donna

• Hi Donna,
        Thank you for your compassionate words. God is good… All the time! His ways are kind and my heart just needs to grow a few more sizes to gain clarity of His work in me. Hugs and Blessings!

41. Chapter 2 struck a cord in me with the following words, “This system (of evil) comprises everything that stands opposed to God’s ways and God’s will…to systematically sabotage Go’d’s plan for our life and God’s purposes in the world.” Although my husband and I have been involved with ministry all our lives and have raised our three children to love God and depend on Him for all things, we are now being challenged in our faith to live out this “trust” and “belief” that God is in control and will work all things for his glory. We are going through a difficult time with a prodigal adult son who has chosen a “worldly life.” Our son denies Christ as God’s son, and even questions the existence of God. He denies that the Bible has any truth, and he has chosen a path that opposes God as he “lives a life of complacency and a lack of direction.” It is hard to watch as he makes poor choices that “sabotage God’s plan to use his multiple gifts.” God is teaching me that His greater plan for me is to grow in faith and trust through prayer. I am learning that I cannot change my son, but I can pray and show him unconditional love. Although I fully know and understand this, I sometimes find myself worrying or thinking non-stop about it. Steven Furtick has shown me that worrying about my son is bringing about a “lesser, loser side” in my own life and keeping me from a greater life.” I am learning that I MUST keep my mind focused on God through these dark times. It is almost like focusing on the moon in the dark sky to illuminate my path, as I take one step at a time. Otherwise, my worrying can bring me down and keep me from being all that God has for me. I know that there are many others who are also going through difficult adversities that cause you to worry. Let us all pray for each other that we will put our focus on God, as he says…”Whatever is good, whatever is noble, whatever is right…think on these things.” I pray that through our own specific situations in life and our dependence and obedience to God , our pathway through life will be “greater” and like Elisha, perhaps we will be an example for others.

• I just had a thought here Martha and please believe me when I say I don’t mean it to be flippant at all. Maybe you should show your son these posts; the thoughts of literally hundreds (thousands?) of people who are crying out to God because of ignoring and/or downright denying Him and the life of true faith. I count myself wholeheartedly among this crowd and wish with all my heart that I had learned these lessons earlier and not wasted so much time on useless and temporary things/people/ventures that had nothing to do with God and His plan for me and has left me now in my early forties utterly amazed at the emptiness of it all. It probably won’t cause a huge change of heart for your son but it may open up a crack just enough for God to enter and begin his magic.

• Donna Jasso says:

Martha,

I too have a prodigal son! He was arrested and convicted of attempted murder shortly after he turned 18, he is now 22. He did pull a gun on someone to scare them but never intended to fire it, it went off and now he is serving 35 years to life. We are waiting for an answer to an appeal that should come anyday now, no later than January 11th, because the sentence did not fit the crime. Even the arresting officer thinks this. I know that this was God’s plan to bring him back to Him, he is now serving Him again and he’s the become a great man of God. I know that people say they always become Godly in prison, but he has truly changed. I believe that God has a plan for him and that he will be coming home soon and will do “greater” things for the Lord as a result of “straying” off of God’s path.

I say all this to give you hope, you may not see it now, but ALL things happen for a reason and God does know the path our lives are going to take before we are even born. Just keep the faith and keep your son in prayer, “if you train up a child in the way of the Lord, he will not depart from it.” I will be praying for you and your son.

Blessings,

Donna

42. The lesser loser life. That’s where I’ve been for way too long. Years and years of “miserable mediocrity”. That place is painful, lonely, and boy can I even begin to tell you how the enemy attacks you there? I have been listening to “wormwood” whispering in my ears telling me how “You’ll never amount to anything” and “You’re just here to help other people live the better life, it’s not for you” and “Nobody could ever love you” and “He’ll never use you, you’re not worthy”…and on and on and on. My countenance had fallen. And everyone could see that. They knew this wasn’t the real me, but I just kept listening to it and really started believing it.
    But God…but God…but God put a halt to all of that and has been renewing me and healing me from the attacks. He’s telling me beautiful things…that He’s been “conspiring greater things for my life” that “He does Greater things through anyone willing to trust Him in Greater ways”. The lier is fleeing the scene here!!!

43. Ch. 2 has really openedy eyes to how I am letting the evils control my thoughts and actions into thinking that I am not worthy of greater things in my life. I am deserving just as everyone else is!!!! I look forward to the GREATER plans that God has in store for me. I pray that these next chapters will be a blessing to each and every person participating in this bible study.

44. Michele Caséca Olaniyan says:

Great and beautiful things the Lord has done, and much GREATER things He is about to do!
    I can´t stop my happy tears… tears of gratefulness and thankfulness for a God of new beginnings, a God that has given me as many second chances as I need, because He believes me!
    Thank you Jesus for YOU are about to give me the greatest present… 18 days to go!
    Mi

45. Lift Up !
    I can’t begin to tell you all of what Jonah’s witness in the Bible does for me. He is a man I see so much of in me. God put a task in front of him and told him clearly what he was to do but Jonah did not want to do it..He went the other way…. He thought he knew best about Nineveh. Once God confronted him and got his attention, he summited and 120,000 people repented. Then God showed mercy on them but Jonah was angry. He could not see the good in the saving of the 120,000 souls but only saw what he felt was justified reasons for not sparing the people of Nineveh. He was so stuck on his right that he could not allow the mercy of God to touch his reasoning. This book in the Bible helps me to stay focused when I am at Church and I see acts of selfishness among the people and I want to say this is not right! What you are doing the Pastors is wrong!… I want to stand and defend the injustice of the acts… Where is the greater good of the body in them?? At this point I have to think of Jonah on that mountain waiting on God to do what he thought was right to the people. When I am setting in my little booth reasoning things in my head ..It is then I remember Jonah’s story and Isaiah 55:8 and 9. God’s thoughts are not mine nor His ways my ways…Give it to him JL … Get it up and praise for the fruits that have been seen in the people and pray about the rest… It isn’t my job to determine who gets mercy and who doesn’t…(good thing) That is when I am able to let go of the bitterness rising up in me and pray for those who are in the cycle of selfishness. Jonah is one who helps and inspires me Bible to live greater.

46. So many of these comments echo my exact, hopes, fears, and insecurities. I pray for all of us as we embark on this journey together and hope that each of you find your greater.

47. I lived in an abuse relationship for just over 20 years. I have been divorced for 3 years now. I have seen God in everything I have done since I left to save myself. Please know that although I was not physically abused, I was a poster child for all of the other types of abuse on the list. I have been leading the lesser loser life. God has been turning me around since, I went out on my own. He has had me to see that he prepared me for my current situation while being in my past abusive situation. The past 3 years have been a challenge but, I am all the better for it. I am mentally stronger, and more open to what God would have me to be. I still have moments that I call my pity party. I am a single mother and though I have friends, I dont have any friends that I do much of anything with. I have kept myself in solitude because I do not want to be a bother to people who have other things to do. So I comprehend the loser life. I live it. But, I do not want to live it. I know that God is preparing his plans for me even now. I have had incite to what he would like for me to do. He is leading me to be a speaker/encourager/whatever for women. I know the strengthens he has given me. I know I can do what he wants of me. I know I can be Greater for him. I think my first revelation for what he wanted me to do came as I sat in my counselor office. She told me that, I was one of the worst cases of abuse she had seen in a marriage relationship. She then told me that if I had not been as strong as I was most women could not have survived mentally what I did. She said, God has a plan for you. When she said that it repeated over in my mind and has never left. Oh I so pray that each of us finds the Greater plan God has in store. I am ready, I am willing, me and my lesser loser self.

48. When Furtick wrote, “But sometimes, even though the life you have is good, you’re haunted by a sense that on the other side of the fence that marks off the life you’re living is a greater place that God is preparing for you,” I thought he was speaking right to me. I am always haunted by the thought that where I am going is not where God wants me to go and I always am haunted of my less loser life… but I want what God has for my life… I want greater!

49. Like Kim, I also struggled with an eating disorder. While I didn’t want to admit it at the time, mine developed as the result of trying to change the fact that I have a life long disability. While I knew(logically anyhow) that my circumstances weren’t changing regardless of how much weight I lost, that didn’t stop the Enemy from grabbing a hold of my life with such an incredible grip. I’ve been told that I was chosen to be in this circumstance for a reason-and boy, did I ever think that was absolute BALONEY!!! As I’m reading Pastor Furtick’s book(particularly this chapter) I’m starting to see that THIS(my disability) is part of my Greater life….how??? I’ve yet to find out though I’m excited to see how it unfolds!!

50. WOW. This book is awesome! I was so engrossed in reading that I found myself ahead in chapter 3. I can relate in so many ways and realize that I do have a lesser loser life… It’s about to be greater!