Feb 26

What’s Inside Will Spill Out

Hi OBS Group! Thanks for showing up today~ You will be so thankful you did!

In Chapter 7 of Let. It. Go. we learned that what’s inside of us will spill out. So therefore if we’ve been filled with junk, junk will spill out. Junk like harsh words, negativity, impatience, frustration, depression, anxiety, anger…you get the picture. By the same token, if we are filled with good stuff, then good stuff will spill forth. Stuff like kindness, patience, understanding, compassion, forgiveness, love, gentleness, sweetness, and all other excellent things. This is why it’s so important to spend time with God, in His Word every day. Of course this won’t make us perfect, and even on those days (especially on those days) we spend time with the Lord, we may still lose it or get down, but we will have been equipped to handle our situations and schedules much better.

Check out these 2 video clips (which were really supposed to be 1 video clip, but technical difficulties arose…)

If you can’t see this video, you can click here to view it directly on You Tube.

Again, click here if you can’t see part 2 of the video above.

Sorry the message stopped so abruptly. My phone shut down and is not allowing me to tape any more. Ugh.

Will I despair? No way. I’m in God’s Word and I’m sharing it with my OBS sisters!  Not going to let a technical glitch, stop me today.

Where were we?  Oh yea, spending time in God’s Word.

As we look at one of this week’s reflection verses, Psalm 31:15-15a (turn there in your Bibles now), we soak up the fact that we have a God that we can trust. He is ours. He is mine. He is yours. Then David writes, “My times are in your hands.”  In other words “all of life’s circumstances are under God’s control.”  (Life Application Study Bible)

Right now I feel like my schedule is packed. Often it changes at a moment’s notice throwing off my entire day! (Example:  I came down the stairs the other morning, heading for the coffee maker and then to quiet time. There was a foul smell in the room. I turned on the light and there was doggie diarrhea all over the carpet. My quiet time had to wait and I had to gag my way through cleaning it up before the rest of the family awakened.)

That could have ruined my day. I could have complained my way through the rest of the day because my schedule had been thrown off. Instead, I chose to listen to worship music. I might have missed my scheduled quiet time, but I had some flexibility in what I listened to. I could keep my woe is me pathetic attitude or I could trade that in for praising God and remembering that I don’t have to fret, complain, or worry, my times are in His hands. His very very capable hands.

If I wasn’t spending time in God’s Word, I don’t know if I would have chosen that route of praise and worship. That’s not what I felt like doing at the time, but it sure did feel good later!

Since we are in Psalm 31 this week, I want to explore what’s around Psalm 31. I did this in my quiet time and it was such a blessing.

Today’s Assignment

1. Open your Bibles to Psalm 31:14.  Read Psalm 31:14-24.  Underline what speaks to you personally. Journal about it as if you are speaking to God Himself.

I found this passage so encouraging. God is on my side!!! He’s there to fight my enemies and I can be strong and take heart because my hope is in Him. (v. 24)

2. Oh let’s keep reading. Look what’s next, Psalm 32.  Any of you struggle with forgiveness? Do you wonder if God could really forgive you?  I know I’ve had that question before and the Bible gave me the wonderful freeing answers I needed and desired. Yes! We are forgiven!

Read Psalm 32:1-11. Mark the verses that you are thankful for the most. The ones that are jumping in your heart right now. Take a few moments to pray or journal.

Wow! I acknowledge my sins, I confessed, and I’m FORGIVEN!!! No more record of that sin. The Lord loves me unfailingly! (v. 10b)

3. Read Psalm 33:4 and Psalm 33:20-22.

Think, pray, and journal on that!!!

Once you have completed #1,2, and 3, answer this in the comment section of this OBS blog.

I’m on fire ladies and I hope you are too!  God’s Word has power.

If you or anyone you know does not have a Bible, please let us know. Email Angie, our lovely executive assistant at Angie@Proverbs31.org. Depending on the demand, I can’t promise one to everyone, but I can try my best. Please be honest. We want to give Bibles to those who really don’t have one.  We want God’s Word to be available to EVERYONE!!!!

Be blessed! Love y’all!

Comments

1. Tricia (OBS group leader) says:

Your message got me Melissa. Opening my Bible to read the verses mentioned in the studies has not been something that I’ve been doing. I’m having a hard time finding the time to do everything that I want to do in the study. Key words I want to do, not necessarily what God wants me to do. Your message is right, God wants me in his word more than anything else. That’s where I need to start because I’m cutting him out so much by not getting in my Bible. Once that starts then what comes next is spending less & less time with him in prayer & in quiet & then in study too. Things become a checklist by the end of it & that’s not what I want. That’s not what God wants for me.

• Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

Tricia, I, too, have not been spending enough time in His Word and in prayer. Now that we see this, we need to be obedient!! I am so thankful for this study right now to show us this!! 😀

It was Psalm 32:8-10 that spoke to me, and I like how The Message worded David’s words:

Let me give you some good advice; I’m looking you in the eye and giving it to you straight: Don’t be ornery like a horse or mule that needs bit and bridle to stay on track. God-defiers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around. Celebrate God. Sing together—everyone! All you honest hearts, raise the roof!

2. Christa H.(OBS Small Group Leader) says:

Oh my. I so needed this word today! I have been facing a difficult situation at work. I’m angry and bitter, scared for my future….I feel betrayed by a boss that I have worked with for years. I’ve been intentionally building barriers to protect myself and gathering retaliation rocks to sarcastically hurl at every opportunity. Yes, it’s been ugly! But these verses this morning have helped me LET IT GO. 31:20 God will keep me SAFE through this
    31:23 Do I want to hold on to my pride, or FAITHFULLY do the work I am called to do?
    32:7 GOD will protect me from trouble…not my bosses
    32:7 God’s unfailing love will SURROUND me IF I put my trust in Him
    33:20 I WAIT in hope for the Lord to resolve this situation, not try to manipulate it myself
    Alarmed at my behavior, I have resolved to put my trust in HIm and asked him to forgive me for my prideful and angry response. I will choose to let God’s unfailing love SURROUND me. THAT is the only barrier I need between me and the world. When God’s love is my barrier, I am protected. When God’s love is my barrier, that is all that people see when they look at me…not the anger and the pride. That is so easy to say sitting here in my comfy quiet time chair but will be so hard to walk out when I hit the office in a few hours. Today I will picture myself surrounded in a big bubble of God’s love and be faithful, not proud.

• Kelley M (OBS Leader) says:

Christa: do not be “Alarmed” at your behavior! Girlfriend we are so human, so ‘in the flesh’ – your feelings are natural and normal – it’s what you do about those feelings that matters….and you are doing everything, everything to change those feelings and you are bringing such glory to God in doing so!!! I am praying for you, you are in a tough situation – praying God will work on all involved and will replace the hurt with peace, and put some joy back into the workplace for you. I was in such a similar situation this past year and can totally relate, but you are doing all the right things!!! Sending you big hugs my sweet friend! Feel free to chew my ears off if you need to – anytime. I will tell you that in the midst of the turmoil at my job – God saw the need and right as it was at it’s very worst (weeks after I tried and tried and tried to do the right things and make my boss happy – to earn her respect) I got a phone call from an old co-worker with an opportunity and within 2 days received an offer from another company. It went so fast and was so perfect, I knew God it was GOD. There wasn’t another answer. I had prayed for the right words for my boss every day, I prayed that God would – like HE did Moses – put the exact words in my mouth and guide me so I could ‘win’ her over and win the situation over – I prayed for deliverance – and I prayed “God, if it’s not to be fixed, please place me in a better place” – and – God came through for me. He has the answer, He is the answer….and you are doing everything right…hang in there, lean on Him, Give Him this situation and when you pray, pray specifically. HUGS

• Praying for you Christa, as you walk out your faith at your job. Praying that nothing bursts that bubble of God’s love! 😉

• Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

Praying a hedge of protection around you and that God will be glorified, Christa!!!

• Christa H.(OBS Small Group Leader) says:

Y’all are the bomb dot com! Thanks so much for your prayers and support. They mean so much to me!

3. I love these encouraging verses. I wrote down the verse of Psalm 32:10 many sorrows come to the wicked but unfailing love comes surrounds those who trust in The Lord.

This helps me to remember the Great love of Jesus is always surrounding us. I love that!

4. Carol Thompson says:

Psalm 31:24- Be of good courage and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that HOPE in the Lord.
    Psalm 33:12- Blessed is the nation whose God is The Lord
    Psalm33:20-21-Our soul waits for The Lord, he is our hope and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in His Holy name.
    I must remember that God loves me and desires that I come to Him with everything, be it big or small. I must trust Him and wait for His timing always as He knows what is best for me.
    My God loves me,ALWAYS!!!

5. Psalm 32:7 “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.” is especially meaningful to me. It serves as a guide perhaps that when I am feeling stressed, angry, upset, or troubled–I should surround myself with praise music and pray. Worship songs, and prayer can help deliver me from responding with thoughtless words and actions when in difficult times.

God is indeed our hiding place in times of trouble!

• Barbara Prince says:

I agree Joy. It is when we are in Him and He becomes our resting place that we find peace for our souls. So glad that God spoke to you in that verse.
      Barbara Prince
      OBS small group leader

6. It is so sad how I cheat myself out of all God would give me by spending time in His Word – His rich, unfailing love, His wisdom, His conviction which brings me freedom – thank you, Melissa, for the encouragement to get back in His Word!

My treasures from this morning:
    Psalm 31:15a – No part of my life is out of Your ultimate perfect control.
    Psalm 31:16 – Please illuminate my life, and change me and guide me in the way You’ve created me to go – because You love me, and that’s Your best for me.
    Psalm 32 – Abba, thank You for the freedom of forgiveness – may I always bring my sins quickly to You.
    Psalm 33:20 – “Our soul waits (!!!) for The Lord; He is our help and shield.” – Abba, please change me and guide me not to run off so quickly without You – and Your help in my circumstances and Your protection from the world and the evil one.

Today is already not going according to schedule – my beloved little girl Ellie is still covered in hives for the second day, so we’re headed to the doctor this morning instead of school for her and work for me. I know God has a perfect plan for this, and I pray to let go of my expectations and frustrations and worries about perceptions of others at work and be open and available to His perfect plan today.

Much love, ladies!
    Jennifer

• Christa (OBS small group leader) says:

Prayers for your sweet Ellie! I hope the doctors can figure out what is going on! Maybe God knew that you and/or she just needed a day together. Love her big today!

7. Oh sister, thanks so much for the word today. Each morning, I get up before everyone else and spend some time in whatever the book I am currently reading through. Right now, I just started 2 Timothy. Oh how I just love the apostle Paul and all his trust in God, how deep his love is for our God. It made me think about how much I trust in Him. Then as I read your post this morning, and we turn to Psalm 31:14, and the first part of that verse jumps off the page, “but I trust in you, O Lord…” Respecting God’s timetable is not one of my easier tasks in a day…or a week, shoot, just be real, A MONTH! But understanding His love for me makes it all the worthwhile. I am riding on a fabulous rollercoaster called “Faith” and as long as I continue to trust that the wooden rollercoaster is not crumbling at its foundation, I am in for a really long ride! Praise God!
    In my prayer time before I logged on, I prayed that the Lord keep me safe and humble forgiving me and providing me with the strength to continue on my journey with him. So, the Lord is just chatting away with me leading me to Psalms 32:5 and 7 where he reminds me that all my sin is forgiven and whipped away clean, and providing my shelter protecting me from trouble, surrounding me with his blanket of love and grace. What a beautiful image that is for me!
    Thanks for listening to the Lord this morning and leading us to His word! Thanks for saying “YES!”

• Christa (OBS small group leader) says:

I love the way you said “the Lord is just chatting away with me, leading me to…” Those are my favorite quiet times. When it feels like the Lord and I are old friends just chatting away! Now those times when it feels like I’m being disciplined or corrected…OUCH! Those hurt! LOL!

8. I had been going over this in my head weeks before I started this study about what comes out of my mouth :( I cry out to God to forgive me because I know the verse Luke 6:45: The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. I think of what awful things are in my heart because of what comes out of my mouth!!! :(
    I know my Bible time is not what it should be, I can related to Tricia about the checklist, I read a chapter or a few verses and then I can check that off the list for today. I don’t ever what God to be a check mark on a check list. My mouth would be in check if I spent more time in the word letting it get deep down inside me. Thanks so much for getting me back into the Word. I read Christian books with verses in them, but it is not the same, I need more of the WORD OF GOD!! Meditating and listening to that Word. I am filled with HOPE today that God is changing my heart!! Praise God!! I WILL be in His word daily!!!!
    Thanks Melissa!!

Psalm 31:14 But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, “You are my God!”
    Psalm 31:24 So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!

I am also trusting in God to change the hearts of my two sons and my youngest sons wife. I am trusting you, O Lord, You are our God!!!

• I so know what you are going through. I have an index card right now on my monitor that reads, “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:11.

Keeping the word directly in front of me allows me to check my attitude when the phone rings, when someone walks up to my desk, and when I am answering those pesty emails.

Hang in there, we are all a work in progress!

9. So many excellent verses in these Psalms. One verse stood out to me today (funny how one verse will jump out at you): Psalm 32:5: Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord” — and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Today, as I read that, I asked myself, how often do I confess my sins, but wallow in the guilt and regret, even years later? It’s like God’s forgiveness isn’t enough-but it should be.

My prayer today is that God will take away the need for me to hold onto the guilt and regret because “blessed is [she] whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the [woman] whose sin the Lord does not count against [her]…” If it doesn’t count in God’s eyes, then I shouldn’t hold onto it as if it does.

10. I am trying something new today, doing my study in the morning instead of before bed. My day is already different(better)! As I read the suggested verses I came across verses I marked/underlined back in 2000 and made a note by Psalm 32:3,4 about my bones groan all day long and my energy is sapped if I don’t talk to God daily. There are days I get too busy and it catches up to me, I begin to wear down without him. I do have HOPE and love this study and the reminders and encouragement I’m getting from it. I am learning so much. Thank you!

11. Are you filled with hope today?  Are YOU filled with hope today?  Are you FILLED with hope today? Are you filled with HOPE today?  Are you filled with hope TODAY?
    Yes yes yes, whatever happens in my day is only fine when I have spent time with Him, o my goodness, the dog throw up part is the worst— yes it’s our choice to set the mood- I recently have been playing songs like HALELUJAH anyway to help me calmly stay@peace through any situation, love you all ❤

12. This was perfect for me today, for so many reasons. I took away so many things.
    1. Remembering that what is in my heart comes out of my mouth, out in my attitude. Not only am I ashamed of what comes out of my mouth every day, but I am even more ashamed at the toxic, hurtful, and unkind things that come out of my daughter’s mouth because she learned them from me (she is 12). I have been making progress, but I have yet to see any progress in her. I had hoped that since there are less toxic words coming from me, there would be from her. My greatest fear is that I have scarred her for life, and that the road to recovery for her is even steeper than mine since she learned these terrible habits at such a young age. It will be my goal today to write out some of these verses (something I was going to do for me anyway) for her, too, and hand them to her when she is spewing…she knows she does it and doesn’t like it either.

2. The importance of confession in prayer, and that through confession I can experience freedom, which means peace.

3. That I have hope, especially when I have the sword of the spirit in my possession. Now if only I could remember to use it at the right time! This will also be my prayer today.

• Jennifer N (OBS Leadership Team) says:

Our God is a God of redemption, of change, of working all things together for good. I am praying that as you seek Him, your daughter sees the change and light in you. That God will redeem that situation and turn it around. May He bless you!!

• I have a similar situation when it comes To my oldest daughter who is 14….but I am praying to for a change in my response to her attitude and that I continue to fill myself with Gods word so that words that come out are so different and when I fail that I will ask for forgiveness and not beat myself up with guilt!

13. I also found it freeing to read Melissa’s account of the dog diarrhea (sorry) and even the technical issues she was having. It was so nice to read that it is not just my schedule that always seems to hit one roadblock after another :) Overflowing toilets, leaking sinks, broken sump pumps, and a house that looks like a tornado has come through every.single.time it is picked up have all been thorns in my side this past week. I think I’ll try the praise music tip! But just like she said, I know it will be the last thing I feel like doing at that time, but I will trust her when she says that it was just what she needed

14. Kim Golds OBS group Leader says:

Yes I am filled with Hope today :) Psalm 32:7 really spoke to me. I hilighted and put the date I read it in my bible. I am loving my Life application bible Thank you for the suggestion. It has really made a difference in my study.
    For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of Victory. Psalm 32:7 Moving forward into Victory.

15. This was so good to read this morning. I was starting to drown in myself again and i realize that the only person who can save me, is God. I spend so much time wishing things would change, planning what would help the situation change, and even dreaming about what life would be like when the “change” occurred. God has brought this family to rock bottom, not to punish us, but to lift us up and raise us up to be the people he wants us to be. I can see that now. I can do this. I CAN DO THIS!! Today I have Hope in my heart, and that hasn’t been there in a very long time.

16. So glad, Melissa, for the reminder that OBS is a BIBLE study not a book study. I loved all of the reading today in Psalms. David is so relatable because he is just like us! Imperfect yet seeking truth from the One true God. I am filled with hope today as we discern decisions regarding our adoption and look to God to direct our path. One note in my NIV study Bible regarding Psalm 32:8-9 says: Accept the advice written in God’s Word and don’t let your stubbornness keep you from obeying God.

Thank you Father for your Word which is always truth, always timely, and always teachable. You are an amazing God! To You be the glory!!!

• Jennifer N (OBS Leadership Team) says:

Praying for the Lord to guide you Kendall. That He would direct you in the steps to take. That, as Psalm 32:8 says:
      I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. (NIV 84)

Blessings to you!

17. Wow, I am encouraged again as I read the Word of God. Psalm 31:22b “Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help.” Rings very true this morning, as last night I was woken up by anxiety over my daughter’s work load at university and as I tried to fall asleep again it was a struggle until I started praising the Lord and He heard my cry for mercy and I slowly fell back to sleep. Also, verse 24 of Psalm 31 “Be strong and take heart all you who hope in the Lord.” The HOPE, biblical hope I heard was once this definition of biblical HOPE = earnest and intense expectation that what God says will come to pass! Halleluhia! I am reminded of all His promises to me. I have peace and hope this morning, Thank you Jesus!

• Jennifer N (OBS Leadership Team) says:

Amen Yolande! I was reminded of this truth this morning:

Numbers 23:19
      “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

Bless you!

18. I struggle with negative thought patterns, a critical spirit, and harmful words. You see, I have a gift. I am able to pinpoint areas for improvement. That doesn’t sound so bad, does it? Ah, but when you approach it from the negative side of things, it comes out critical, condescending, or hurtful. I don’t want to be that person. I want to encourage, and uplift. I want to show people, through words and action, the love of Christ.

Forgiveness isn’t hard for me to accept from my Saviour. However, it can be difficult for me to forgive others. How silly is that?! How can I accept the forgiveness of Christ without showing the same grace and mercy to others? If God forgives them, I should too. And it’s true – forgiveness doesn’t excuse the other person. Forgiveness is freedom. It frees the one who is forgiving! How amazing that we have that opportunity and power!

Today, I have hope – that the words I’m reading, meditating over, praying over, soaking up, enjoying, and rejoicing in will pour out of me to all, and for all to see. I have hope – that the forgiveness my Father in heaven has gifted to me will allow me to forgive others. I have hope – that I am becoming what my Creator designed me for and will fulfill His destiny for me. I have hope – that the struggles I’ve seen in the past have only prepared me for the blessings of the future. I have hope.

Blessings friends!

• Debby,
      Your words could have been my words today. “Today, I have hope…blessings of the future” – your last lines became my prayer. Thanks for being honest and blessing me today.

19. Mary Ann Moyer says:

This was good for me today. I’ve not been reading in my Bible as much as I needed to lately…just being rushed and trying to read my chapters in Let.It.Go. I think the verses that really stuck out for me were the following:
    Psalm 32:8 – “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.”
    And also the second part of Psalm 32:10 – “the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.”
    It is so reassuring when I have struggles in what to do, that I can lean on and trust God to help guide me in what I should do ALWAYS!
    Thanks again Melissa for helping me get BACK into the Word! Have a blessed day! :)

20. Jennifer N (OBS Leadership Team) says:

Oh how my heart needed this, this morning! After a rough day with my son yesterday, the same one on my blog, I ended up fearful, anxious and tired. Going to God’s word, soothes my soul and reminded me of many things.

When I read Psalm 31, verse 20 reminded me of Psalm 91:1–He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. The Life Application Bible says that this should be a picture of our trust-trading all our fears for faith in Him, no matter how intense our fears. I needed that. I also need rest. This has been a difficult week with me and my two daughters sick, and now my oldest son. We are all running on empty around here. Homeschooling with zero fuel doesn’t work too well. Today, we are taking rest. Digging into God’s Word and doing some alternative learning ideas.

#2–Psalm 32. Oh, wow. I had highlighted much of this from 1/25/13 already! Verse 7 goes along with what I posted above. You are my hiding place, Lord. Dwelling and resting with you. Verse 8 is what really got me–I had prayed this verse on 1/25–for God to instruct and teach me in the way to go. I have really been seeking ‘direction’ the last week or so. I have been floundering at times. Reading this reminded me of His promises–to instruct and guide me. I need to TRUST, DWELL, and REST in Him.

#3–To go with all of this–Psalm 33 reminds me that He is faithful in all He does. His word is right and TRUE. Everything He has spoken into my heart this morning, He is faithful to do. His word is true. It also reminds me of this:
    Numbers 23:19

Lord, often this week I have felt you telling me to wait and to not be afraid. Thank you for reminding me, today, to wait with HOPE and not with dread or discontent. Thank you for you word which is right and true.

21. Lynn Brooks says:

Wow – after reading those verses how can I NOT be FILLED with HOPE TODAY! So much spoke to me.
    I want to be called your servant and be in your unfailing love. 31:16.
    Your goodness is great and I do fear you O Lord. 31:19.
    Oh to be in the shelter of your presence. 31:20
    You hear my cry for mercy. 31:22
    Be strong and take heart all you who hope in the Lord. 31:24
    I will confess and you will forgive = WOW 32:5
    When I trust I am surrounded with your unfailing love. 32:10
    The word of the Lord is right and true and he is faithful. 33:4
    Hope in the Lord, our shield, hearts rejoice when we trust. 33:20-22

22. Wow, talk about confirmation!! Just as you mentioned in the 2nd video. For the past two days my quiet time devotional came from Psalm 32:7-8. I read the entire chapter yesterday & this AM. Verses 6&7 though truly spoke to my heart. Imagine my surprise when I saw Psalm 32 mentioned in your email this morning. All I can say is Ta DA (Thank You Father) for being my hiding place & for wanting to teach me, instruct me, counsel me & watch over me. I prayed those verses over my entire family as well. Thanks-a-bunch for sharing your heart & home this AM & for being a vessel that our Daddy pours out from. Have a blessed day(:

23. I’ve been having a difficult time juggling it all. I’ve been rushing through The devotions I have been reading in my YouVersion Bible. I’m in bed today with a slight fever and bad cold, so I’m making use of this time to just “eat the Word” as Sharon Glasgow said last night in the conference call. I’ve underlined, written notes, and written out scripture in my notebook. I don’t like being sick, but I’m using this time to be blessed by God’s word. My favorite today was Psalm 33: 20-22!
    Beth A. (OBS Group Leader)

• Jennifer N (OBS Leadership Team) says:

Same thing has happened to me several times Beth! When I get sick, I get more ‘time’ in the Word. I don’t want it to be that way. :(
      I don’t want it to be on my check-list, but for it to be the very food that fuels me. Not being much of a morning person has made it difficult.
      Praying for you and that you would have healing soon! (hugs and love)

24. Yes I am filled with HOPE today. Something I said to someone else proves it:
    A friend on fb complained that her son missed the bus this morning and that today was not going to be a good day. I told her “If you think it wont be a good day, then it wont. Attitude is everything. Look at it this way, you now have more time to spend with your son as you drive him to school today.” She wrote back – “Thank you! Good point, I needed to hear that today”. I have had a bad attitude lately but no more! I am turning that around and looking at the positives in everything! I am hopeful that God will direct me in the direction to take with my career, my kids, my home and my spouse. I am learning to Let. It. Go and give it all to GOD!

• Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

Amen, Heather!!! Through this study I’m learning NOT to grumble…but then I go and put on my facebook post something like, “Ugh…all this snow”. :( There’s so much beauty in the snow and in one simple word, “ugh”, I ruined it.

25. Nichole Wolland (OBS Group Leader) says:

YES! I am FILLED with HOPE TODAY!!! Thank you, Melissa! This is just what I needed. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed. God has been surrounding me with messages telling me that He will guide me. Last night was rough as I went to a PTO meeting & basically got a huge task I wasn’t expecting (I didn’t even volunteer!) on top of everything else right now that I was already overwhelmed with. Plus, my youngest has been extremely difficult & needy lately. But, I decided to trust that God had it all worked out & that I could only get done each day what God had planned for me. Well, this morning that huge unexpected task isn’t gone, but it has been unexpectently downsized! Yay, God! I am learning that “my times are in Your hands” (vs 15) and God’s “face will shine on me” (vs 16) when “I cry out to Him.” (vs 17) Thank you, Lord! And, then again in Psalm 32:8 He tells me that He will instruct me & teach me in the way I should go! And, just in case I wasn’t convinced yet He tells me in Psalm 33:4 “the word of the Lord is RIGHT & TRUE; he is faithful in ALL he does.” I know my day will be 10 times better for the time I spent with my Father today!

26. I AM FILLED WITH HOPE TODAY! I am so thankful that God led me to this Bible Study. I thought it was just beacuse I am a severe CONTROL FREAK, but today I have learned that it was much more than that. I have been battling depression for almost two years now after being let go from the job that I had wanted since I was a little girl. I thought I was doing God’s will and He would bless me. I was teaching His word to children at a Christian School, my husband surrendered to the call to become a full time minister. So I thought everything was going to be good. But shortly after he finished his schooling was pastoring in a local church, God answered a prayer of mine, we didn’t have to sell our house!! WOOHOO. I thought everything was going to be all good because we were DOING things for God. Well I lost the job that I had always wanted, thought that was my calling. So God what are you telling me what are you trying to teach me. Yesterday’s verse, Psalm 31:15, really got me. My times are in His hands, not mine. Thank you for being a vessel that He used to teach me something I need to hear. It’s not about me it is ALL ABOUT HIM. So yes I am filled with HOPE today!

27. Psalm 31:14-24
    I trust in YOU Lord. (vs14)
    My Times are in your hands, it’s Your agenda, Your will for my life. It’s not about what I want for this day, but about what you want. (vs 15a)
    The Lord will have victory over the wicked, and though the wicked seem strong our God is stronger. This God is My God and He is for me. He will fight my battles for me, as I lay the control of my life at his feet. (vs 15b-18, 24)
    He has blessed me with more than I require. So when I go through trials I need to remember to be thankful for all He has given me as well. (vs 19)
    Even when I feel out of sight, you hear me when I cry out to you. (vs 22)
    Psalm 32:1-11 the verses I am thankful for
    That God covered my sin
    He forgave the GUILT of my sin as well.
    He will protect me in time of trouble
    He will instruct and teach me in the way I should Go
    He will give me loving counsel.
    His love surrounds me.
    Psalm 33:4 “For the word of the Lord is right and true; He is faithful in all he does.” He is faithful to forgive me.
    Psalm 33:20-22 For these reasons there is no question that my hope is in the Lord. He protects, loves and forgives me who could ask for more?

28. This was a great post! I loved the direction, straight into the bible! I agree with so many of the above posts. Especially how the study can become something on the check list and switching it up to the morning so my day is saturated with it, a fresh chance it apply it right away instead of the next morning!

This one post changed my whole outlook on OBS and how to DO it and get the most out of it, the bible not just the book!

Thank you Melissa, please post more videos. You actually speaking to us like that is so much more than just reading what you are saying. More helpful, encouraging, real… Loved it!
    Have a wonderful day ladies, stay strong :)

29. This is so encouraging & uplifting to read these Scriptures out of Psalm 32; thank you for sharing all your insights! Really hopeful stuff! They totally spoke to my heart! i’m really strengthened! Blessings to you all!

30. Charolette Ragsdale says:

Wow, the bible verses in Psalm 31-33 really speaks volume to me and in my heart. The verses that rang true for me the most are Psalm 33:4 and 33:20-22. We wait in hope for the Lord because he is our help and our shield. Very powerful! As long as I have the Lord in my heart, I know I always have hope in my life. Without God, it is hard to imagine hope in my heart and my life. With God, I know all things are possible, but without him there are more gloomy and dark days in our lives. I prefer to look forward to the bright, sunny and hopeful days ahead since I have a relationship with Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Hallelujah!

Thanks Melissa for that uplifting video today. It was a great reminder that we need to spend quiet time with the Lord everyday to hear what He is saying to us. So glad you were able to make good use of that added space since your child went off to college.

Hope everyone is having a blessed week so far! My mom leaves for Israel for two weeks tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers for safe travels there and back. Also, my brother-in-law, Allen is scheduled to have his surgery today at 5:00 pm to remove the mass in his abdomen. Thank you sweet sisters in Christ for the prayers! God Bless You! :)

31. Monika B. Lankford says:

This is such a beautiful verse.. Wow it just takes your breath away and helps you see God in His full glory. We do need to praise God through worship and song.. We do need to be in awe of Him because He is our creator and we need to marvel at His works and wonders.. We do need to realize He is in contro l and is constanly watching over us. This is so awesome…

32. mary armstrong says:

Loved getting into our Bibles today..in Psalm 31 I learned that my heart is encouraged as I “wait” for God, “hope” in God, and “expect” Him! My expectation is not to be in others but in God Himself…..Also Ps. 32:7 reminded me that as Adam and Eve “hid” from God in their sin, when we go to Him confessing and being real about our sin, He not only forgives, but becomes our “Hiding Place”, our Refuge in times of trouble, bringing us out with “songs and shouts of deliverance.” PRAISE OUR DELIVERER, JESUS CHRIST!!! Thanks for the encouragement for us today to be in His Word.

33. Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

I love this chapter and love today’s assignment, Melissa. Karen’s analogy of the sweet tea is PERFECT on how if we’re filled with “good stuff”, it’s good stuff that will spill out. I’ve been neglecting spending time in His Word, trying to keep up contact with my group. Thank you for this important reminder in today’s assignment.

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

34. Great job, Melissa and I, too, love your video shares! What stood out to me as I read the suggested verses is sing, rejoice, praise, hope, trust. With the hope we are offered through God’s instruction, protection, and provision we certainly should be rejoicing moment by moment!
    In my earlier quiet time the thing that kept jumping out at me from Psalm and Genesis was “laughter” so this singing and rejoicing fits right in with God’s earlier message for me! These stood out to me: Psalm 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.” and v. 11 But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. v. 20 covers all the key words for me: wait, hope, rejoice, trust, love:
    “We wait in HOPE for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts REJOICE for we TRUST in his holy name. May your unfailing LOVE rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our HOPE in you.
    From my earlier quiet time I noted this verse in Psalm 28: v.6 – 7 Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. I just love how he tied my regular quiet time to my OBS Bible study time!
    In my Bible it mentions in a devotional that February 28, 1944, is the date the hiding place behind the ten Boom’s watch shop was discovered and they were captured. How ‘timely’ that we are studying that portion of scripture during the anniversary week of that historical event.
    Last note: God showed me in reading John the past few weeks that even Jesus was held to God’s timing. Over and over he made a remark like this one from John 7:8 – for me the right time has not yet come. That was eye opening for me. If Jesus had to abide by God’s timing, why should I not be willing to do the same?!
    Thank you, again, Melissa for your willingness to lead us and thank you to all of the OBS leaders for your time and commitment to this study! God is using you to change lives for the better!

35. janet messer says:

Psalm 33:20-22-We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.
    In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
    May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you.

Lord, I am trying to be patient. What do you have in store for us? I feel content and at peace being a stay at home mom. I feel that my husband has the weight of the world on his shoulders,financially. Oh how I want to jump in and save the day, by going back to work, but I feel that you are telling me to be still and patient.To Trust with All my heart.

In December, 6 months after I quit working my husband lost his job. He is working on getting his coaching business off the ground, but not gaining momentum. In the meantime he took a job that pays half what he was making when I quit my job. So we are struggling right now. This is testing my faith in God everyday. Please pray for me and my husband Eric.

36. kimberly fielder says:

1. Open your Bibles to Psalm 31:14. Read Psalm 31:14-24. Underline what speaks to you personally. YOU ARE MY GOD

2. Oh let’s keep reading. Look what’s next, Psalm 32. Any of you struggle with forgiveness? Do you wonder if God could really forgive you?
    Yes, I do since I struggle big time with this

3. Read Psalm 33:4 and Psalm 33:20-22. DID

37. SHIELD
    S- surrounds you
    H- holds you in safely
    I- impresses your heart
    E- encourages your trust
    L- loves you
    D- defines you

38. Barb Truman says:

Melissa, thank you so much for walking me through journaling. I really didn’t get it or maybe God knew I couldn’t do everything at once…I’m fairly new at bible study as well as reading God’s Word. I’ve only been writing down verses and questions posed with my answers but not thoughts laid on my heart during reading. But now I’m hooked and my next baby step in my spiritual journey will be journaling. Bless you!

39. I am absolutely filled with hope. In the midst of my little problems and burdens, which seem so big to me at times, I am still filled with hope because I know God is my hiding place, my shield, my help.

I read this quote in another book, which also filled me with hope:
    “This cross you bear is a burden now. But such crosses, faithfully carried, are the wings that fly us to heaven.”

40. Yes!!! Psalm 32:7; the word for surrounds used in Spanish is “envolver” and the image that came to mind is when a mother keeps her baby warm with the blankets by making him or her into literally a small bundle and then rocks the baby in her arms… God’s love is like that; we are totally enveloped, totally surrounded, totally filled, totally secure (u gals can get the picture jeje) in His love. <3 His love never ceases to amaze me! Blessings to all my sisters!

41. You had me at “What’s Inside Will Spill Out.” Those words are so true. Although I know better, I still don’t put enough of His Word inside… and my family suffers for it. My husband and I have been through a lot and in the last year moved from another state. My old friends are distant now and I haven’t made new ones yet. I feel alone and in despair so much of the time. Why don’t I do what I know I need to do? Today, I am convicted and I know that in Christ there is hope for me, even on the worst days.

42. The Word, it is powerful! I reread chapter 33 in it’s entirety because it looks like I had left some underlined verses there before. I was reminded that the Lord is right and true (33:4) (and instantly recalled Philippians and that we are urged to think on “things” that are right and true – God, Himself!!) and that He alone is our help and our shield. That we are to be strong and take heart (31:24)

Oh, how could we NOT have hope for today? For forever? Even in the moment when our sweet tea dispenser is jostled unexpectedly, our hearts can rejoice and trust in His Holy name. (33:21 – LOVE that verse!) Amen to that!!

43. I was feeling very inadequate in my class yesterday. In fact I was feeling very inadequate as a professor this past week. It seemed like everything I was doing was wrong, that my students were not responding as they should be, and that I might as well think about retiring before it was decided for me! On my way to campus on Monday I watched the road through my tears, as I was crying out to God, literally, asking Him to help me regain my focus. I was in such a tizzy during my office hours that I spent most of the time sequestered in my office, door closed, music playing, and shutting out the rest of the world. When I walked into the classroom, the students were great, responsive, attentive. I was shocked. I expected to see sneers and hear sarcasm in their voices—why? I am not sure. Something I conjured up in my mind. After class I felt so much better than I had all day—in fact, better than I had through the weekend. Today was SO much better for me. Two students came in to conference about their papers, and we talked about the process to start on their next literary analysis. We chatted, laughed, asked/answered questions. It was good. I know that God was watching over me. He answered my prayers. And even though this is not the focus of our OBS at this time, I know that Satan tends to pull me down when I begin to feel positive about my work at the college. He will throw some daggars in the form of students who like to send texts during class or those annoy just because they can.

I AM filled with hope today. I am hopeful that the ‘great teacher’ will pour out of me through the next two weeks because God will be walking beside me as I teach. Then it will be on to spring break!

• Christa H.(OBS Small Group Leader) says:

Beth, we so tend to conjure things up in our minds that are not the TRUTH about our situations. Sometimes we need to do just like you did….shut out the rest of the world so we can hear the REAL truth.

44. Karri (obs leader) says:

This is going to take me a few days to go through these as they are so powerful! It’s amazing that God knew I needed this!!!!!

45. If I put my hope in God, He will inturn give me strength. I need to forgive my daughter’s father for leaving us while I was pregnant. He’s the one missing out on a really great kid. With where I am in my llife right now I have to remember I train them in the way they should go and when they are OLD they will not depart from it…. I am such a “I want it now” kind of person. I keep plugging God’s word in them now so that when they are no longer in my house, they will keep it close to their hearts.

May I post a prayer. My daughter the one I was talking about here in the post can you all pray for her. She thinks about suicide and she doesn’t see anything wrong with this. She is so angry with God and can not tell me why and she gets upset with me when I pray for her, talk to her or read scripture to her. She’s 16 and has had a troubled life early on. I worked on the road and when her dad left while I was pregnant I wasn’t sure I wanted to keep her and be a single parent. I gave her up for 6 months to get myself squared away and I still worked on the road for the first 5 years of her life. I have been retired from the carnival life for six years now and I don’t know if it stems from all of this or the fact that her birth father has nothing to do with her nor will he sign his rights away so my husband can adopt her. Steve has since I gave birth to her loved her as his own. well that’s it for now Sorry for being lengthy. But I have seen what prayer can do and I need a miracle for her and myself and our relationship. God Bless and have a great night

• Amy, I’m praying for you and your daughter. If I may offer a suggestion, Lynn Cowell’s book His Revolutionary Love would be a great resource for you and your daughter to read and discuss together. I work with teen girls and this book has made a huge impact on them.
      Love and Prayers,
      Beth A. (OBS Group Leader)

46. Stephanie M says:

This is just what I needed today. A reminder that I need to be in God’s Word every day. I think I often make excuses for myself about why I don’t have the time. But the truth is you make time for what is IMPORTANT to you. So I have put time in God’s Word up on my priority list. I still don’t have my quiet time in the morning becuase my quiet time place is in my bedroom and my husband is still asleep. I do my exercise then. BUT — I have some time to myself every day after work. That is the time I am putting forth for my quiet time, rather than TV time, laundry time, or whatever else.

I love Psalm 31:34 “Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord” How great is that?! I need my strength from the Lord, and I am trying to look to Him first now.

47. Yes thank you Melissa for reminding us to get out our Bibles and underline and date and read and re read…journal. I so want to change my inside so my outside is loving for all to see and to be pleasing to the one who loves me!
    Psalm 32 Thank you for forgiving me of my sins. Thank you for being my hiding place, my protection, my shelter from the storms of life
    Psalm 33 Thank you for your unfailing love. I know you can speak it and it will be. I also know it is your timing. Help me to be obedient to your will
    I put my hope in you

48. These verses are awesome and definitely will be filed away. They give me HOPE today, tomorrow and down in the road!

49. Danice lee says:

I am filled with hope TODAY. I love these passages, but I get discouraged very easily. I feel hopeless a lot, maybe most of the time.

50. I first read Chapter 7 and was greatly convicted knowing that what I’ve had on the inside has truly spilled out. My anger, depression, sadness, and despair has flown from my mouth and through my thoughts these last 2 years after the murder of my grandparents. :( I have been feeling very down on myself because I haven’t been as strong of a child of God as I was prior to the murder, and I was feeling like it was a hopeless situation. I didn’t feel like God would “take me back” but then I read these Scriptures and was totally wrapped in His love for me. Psalm 31:24 encouraged me to not beat myself up but be strong and know God loves me. Psalm 32:7 blessed me knowing that during those rough days when I’m not doing too well God IS MY HIDING PLACE (today is one of those days). Finally, God spoke to my heart in Psalm 33:22 by saying “Valerie, my UNFAILING love rests on you today. Put your hope in me and I will never leave your side.” Melissa, thank you for doing this OBS at this time God is TRULY using it to bring glory to His Name!