Mar 27

He Saved Them From Their Distress

Yesterday, I asked the question, “How do you handle stress?”  Almost 400 answers later and I’m convinced we need the book Stressed-Less Living more than ever!

Thank you so much for your honest and truthful responses. If you didn’t get to check out the post and comments from yesterday’s, you can click here to see.

It’s obvious by sharing over the past few days, that most of us are experiencing high stress in various areas of our lives. This stress can affect our minds, physical bodies, relationships, decisions, work production, and our normal function in daily life.

One of the sweet ladies who shared yesterday is Allee Perez. Allee shared her stress but also shared how God’s Word helps her in her stressful times. Allee, you inspired me with this and the verses your shared are the topic of this post.

As we will learn in this study, God’s Word has all the answers. God’s Word can be a source of help in our time of need. Let’s test this out today.

Psalm 107:19-20 contains some powerful words to help us when we are stressed for whatever reason. I could write these verses out for you, but I’m going to actually have you do some of the work yourself because that’s what good Bible study leaders do~

Try This

Today we are going to visit one of my favorite Bible websites, BibleGateway.com.  I’ve searched the site for the verses Allee mentioned, Psalm 107:19-20. I actually looked up various Bible translations (versions) so that you could read them all. Basically these different versions say pretty much the same thing, just using a few different words. It doesn’t matter to me which Bible version you use for our Online Bible Study. As long as it’s the Bible, you can select the version you prefer.

Think of your most stressful situation and the affects it has on your life. Then click here to read the power God’s Word in Psalm 107:19-20 can have.  After you look at these verses online, try to find them in your own Bible. (Don’t have a Bible? Email Angie@Proverbs31.org and let her know that you don’t have a Bible. No promises, but we’ll try our best to get one in your hands very soon.)

Read the verses again. Write them in a notebook or journal. Allee suggests memorizing Scripture. Give it a try. God’s power is in His Word, meant for us to use in our everyday lives. The only way we can draw on His Word is to be in His Word.

Share With Us

Which version of Psalm 107:19-20 did you like the best? Share the verses in the comment section and briefly tell the situation in your life where you can actively apply these verses.

By doing this we can get a head start on the study. Do you believe that God can save you from your distress?

Those who share will be entered to win a free Stressed-Less Living book and conference call series.  Two winners will be selected and announced on Friday.

I can’t wait to read your verses and how you think they can help you today!

Big Hugs to you!

****Winners from yesterday’s “How do you handle stress?”  are:

• April Haynes~ email beginning aprilhaynes1
  • Kathlynn Duggins~ email beginning kasara0907

Email the awesome and fantastic, Angie Combs~OBS Executive Assistant, with your name, email, phone number, and mailing address so she can get you your book and conference call series.

Comments

1. Patricia Saukel says:

I will always prefer the King James Version as it calms my soul.

2. Sarah C. says:

I love the beginning ‘they cried to The Lord in their trouble’. Simple? Yes. Impactful? Absolutely. So many times the stress derails us and we are troubled. It leads on and on and on. I get so frustrated by external circumstances and I’ll run to my best friend, I’ll tell a fellow coworker, I’ll seek the advice of a good Christian role model! But… Am I going to God first? He honors those that cry to Him and seek Him first. My 2013 goal overall is for Him to be enough. I want God to be my best friend. After all, He knows me better than anyone. And loves me more than anyone can. So why don’t I cry to Him? Well, I suppose it’s something I’m still working on. Thankful for His endless grace and mercy in the meantime.

3. Amber Stout says:

“Lord, Help!” New Living Translation- I think I’ve cried out these words every day to God this past month. Stresss…….. ahhhh, it doesn’t seem to leave. Being an at home mom on 1 small income, 3 kids (including a toddler), no supporting family, homeschooling, looking for work for health benefits, finding out you have serious life-long ailments, and it goes on and on. A break, to feel appreciated, to feel loved…. mostly only comes from God for me. And that can feel very alone. Crying out to God, and trusting that joy comes from tribulation, and seeking out godly women… the true feelings of my heart. “Lord, HELP!”

4. jennifer brown says:

I like the NIV version but I also like the Amplified too, it goes into depth on some versions. I think the best place to use these verses is with raising my three boys. Raising three highly active boys tends to get stressful and the one place I should always go to is the Father. Of course, I forget and I worry about the future of my boys. But worry and stress does me no good. I know that I need to place them in Gods hands and go to him when I don’t know what to do.

5. I really liked the NIV version, but I also looked up the New King James Version. I liked that one a great deal. It all really struck home. As I thought about what stresses me and the effects, I immediately thought about how I handle it. When I am stressed about something, I totally over analyze it and freak out. I continually begin to think the worst of how things are going to go. I get wrapped up into the issue completely and it consumes me morning, noon and night. It may manifest itself in over eating to bring it out of my mind and constant crying. I also have a past of self harm. I do not do that anymore, but the stress is a trigger. I pray and pray my heart out when stress hits. It will take a while for it to ease, but I know my God cares. I will also picture myself taking the stressful situations out of my heart and mind and handing them to God. I have had Tracie’s book for a while now. I have been just holding on and waiting to read it as a group study. I am soooo stoked that it is finally here!!!!

6. I am looking forward to this study because I am stressed and am looking for Gods way to handle it.

7. I liked the CEV version. I like to think about the power of God’s word, He speaks and the world is created, He speaks and the winds and waves are stilled, He speaks and the dead are raised to life. He wants to speak that power into my life, still my stress, calm my worry, and create a new person in me. I’m so thankful for His power.

8. Tristine says:

I have been in deep prayer and spending much alone time with our breathtaking Savior since Good Friday. It has been amazing, and extremely emotional.I focused on these verses and mediated on them. I heard them twice by two different women in two days, in two different settings. God is sharing a deep Spiritual truth, in my opinion and these verses, to me, carry so much more weight. These verses, along with the timing of the Crucifixion, death, and Resurrection of our Savior, Jesus, my Everything, pulled me in closer this holiday than ever. Changes need to be made in my life. I know my faith, staying in fellowship, being in the Word, and applying theses truths, will allow the Holy Spirit to make His changes with my FULL surrender and trust.

I like the NIV and the NKJV versions the best I think. I also prefer to keep 21 and 22 packed in nicely.

NKJV

“19Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He saved them out of their distresses.20 He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. 21 Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! 22 Let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare His works with rejoicing..”

I actually unpacked this whole Psalm and found it very interesting in how it really speaks to each of us, no matter the trial. Oh how great our God is! I praise Him, thank Him, and give Him all the glory :-)

Thanks to all of you.

9. Linda Sales says:

I like the one where he hears your prayer to be healed I need healing in my body. I say a prayer every day and its helped me with my pain.

10. Kathy Wilson says:

As I read the different versions of Psalms 107;19-20 I realized that each one had touched my life at different times of stress, and I could almost recount when those times had been. The one that spoke to my spirit now was the Message version; I have been dealing with some very difficult things in my life for quite awhile now….have felt cut off from family and friends…no church family …no help to be found from the world, but I know that My God Is Still There! I have been tempted by Satan to give up; just as he tried to get Job to do….I have cried out to God & I WILL Sing His Praise!
    I have signed up for the online study and am looking forward to it; I signed up for another of the studies though I was unable to get that book so I didn’t get to follow up with that one. I do hope and pray to be able to get the book, and any helps that I need to follow through with this one. I appreciate the ministry that God has given you ladies, and I know the sacrifices that you make God will repay with blessings that you can only attribute to His grace & unending love!

11. Some of you were sick because you’d lived a bad life, your bodies feeling the effects of your sin; (The MSG). I looked at this verse and was reminded of when I become a christian for God truly did this for me. He pulled me out of serious depression and illness and for many years after that I believed I lived on milk and honey. And then seasons changed and we left our church after 9 years. Life has continued to go downhill since then. But I am praying that God will come to my rescue again. My prayer has been “Lord Help” for many years now and while I feel I can’t hear him or sense his presence I can’t give up thinking that the Lord will help me again. To give up that will be losing all hope.

12. Jarrod & Charity McGraw says:

I perfer the CEV version because it *in my opinion* lets more people relate! I think it would speak to more people in a lot of different areas of troubles. If you ask me, the more people the Lord can reach & save…the better life is! Thank you for sharing all those versions!! God Bless you for taking your time to do this for your sisters!

13. My favorite version is the NASB. I do believe that the Lord hears our cries and does deliver us, just not always in the way or timing we think or hope for. I always have to remind myself that He alone knows the beginning from the end and the reason for the current trials and how He will use tit and work all things out for good. Just have to focus on Him and not the circumstances.

14. This is the first thing I have read from the CEV and I love how it states the verse. I typically read the NIV or New Living translations. This psalm in the words of the CEV definitely makes it relate-able on a very personal level.

15. Tristine says:

Thank you ladies. ALL of you. It is an honor to sit at you’re feet and learn. Dear Heavenly Father, I come to You in the name of sweet Jesus, to thank You for these very dedicated ladies who so wholeheartedly, in love, Your Mighty Kingdom. Father, I thank You for who You are, and for sending Your precious Son Jesus, to fee us from captivity. I pray You will cover these women and these studies, and all of us taking this study, with your Holy Spirit. I pray for mighty works to be done in and through these women, along with those of us studying how to look to Jesus to help us with our stress. It is in His name I pray,

Tristine

16. The CEV version reached out and “grabbed” me right away.

19 You were in serious trouble,
    but you prayed to the Lord,
    and he rescued you.
    20 By the power of his own word,
    he healed you
    and saved you
    from destruction.

I am struck by how awesomely powerful our God is…so powerful that He saves us just by His word alone. How grateful I am that He is the one who guides me on the path of life.
    My husband and I had to make some tough decisions recently and were struggling because there were possible negative consequences for us and our four children depending on what we decided. We both prayed together and individually and God gave us peace and we came away from our prayer times with the same decision. Now, this was not a “life or death” situation, BUT we saw God present in our lives…He did rescue us by confirming our decision. We are still in the healing process but God is faithful and we have already seen positive changes and growth in our family.
    Praise God for His everlasting love and faithfulness to His children!

I can’t wait to start this study…I so need it!

17. The CEV version was the one that caught my attention most directly. Looking forward to the study. Blessings to you all!

18. Tonya Norris-Wile says:

I am SO ready for a bible study on Stress. I have lived for so many years with stress that I do not know what it would be like to live with peace. I have a son that for years was so sick I was told he would not live very long. And, during this time lost my husband in a plane crash at age 27 and had two other children ages 2 and 6 to take care of also. It has been 20 years since that tragedy and even though I know God sustained me and my boys through those years it is still a challenge to give God control. Still having health issues with my son (although much better) and now my 16 year old daughter God blessed me with when I remarried. Now, my husband lost his job just today. I know and trust God is there but it is so hard..

19. The CEV was the one that first grabbed my attention as it spoke directly to me and the situations of my life. Trying to juggle numerous responsibilities of a job, a chronically ill husband, going to school, and just the day to day responsibilities of keeping my home running is sometimes overwhelming but I have to remember that God is in control and He knows how it’s all going to fit together for His glory. Keeping my eyes on Him is not always easy since I have a tendency to want to do things in my time and on my schedule but when I let Him lead me everything fits together so much better. I pray that each of us will find inner strength to “let go and let God” as we go through this study.

20. Charlotte says:

I stayed with the NIV. Intellectually I know my God can rescue me. The situation which caused and continues to cause the most stress is now my life. For God to rescue me completely out of it would also mean leaving the golden nuggets of blessing behind. Maybe not, but so often I want to cry out but don’t really know how to put my distress in words. “Lord, please help!” Is the best I can do. I guess what I’m saying is , do I want to be rescued from the stress or strengthen in the midst? And is it really my decision at all?

21. I love verse 19. I wish I would apply it more often. There are times when my world is crazy and I’m even more crazy from the stress and I just cry out to God to please help me. Please put satan back in his place and away from me and to please give me calm and peace. And He does!!!!! Our God is so awesome. He does save us from distress when we cry out to Him. Why can’t I do this more often?????