Mar 27

He Saved Them From Their Distress

Yesterday, I asked the question, “How do you handle stress?”  Almost 400 answers later and I’m convinced we need the book Stressed-Less Living more than ever!

Thank you so much for your honest and truthful responses. If you didn’t get to check out the post and comments from yesterday’s, you can click here to see.

It’s obvious by sharing over the past few days, that most of us are experiencing high stress in various areas of our lives. This stress can affect our minds, physical bodies, relationships, decisions, work production, and our normal function in daily life.

One of the sweet ladies who shared yesterday is Allee Perez. Allee shared her stress but also shared how God’s Word helps her in her stressful times. Allee, you inspired me with this and the verses your shared are the topic of this post.

As we will learn in this study, God’s Word has all the answers. God’s Word can be a source of help in our time of need. Let’s test this out today.

Psalm 107:19-20 contains some powerful words to help us when we are stressed for whatever reason. I could write these verses out for you, but I’m going to actually have you do some of the work yourself because that’s what good Bible study leaders do~

Try This

Today we are going to visit one of my favorite Bible websites, BibleGateway.com.  I’ve searched the site for the verses Allee mentioned, Psalm 107:19-20. I actually looked up various Bible translations (versions) so that you could read them all. Basically these different versions say pretty much the same thing, just using a few different words. It doesn’t matter to me which Bible version you use for our Online Bible Study. As long as it’s the Bible, you can select the version you prefer.

Think of your most stressful situation and the affects it has on your life. Then click here to read the power God’s Word in Psalm 107:19-20 can have.  After you look at these verses online, try to find them in your own Bible. (Don’t have a Bible? Email Angie@Proverbs31.org and let her know that you don’t have a Bible. No promises, but we’ll try our best to get one in your hands very soon.)

Read the verses again. Write them in a notebook or journal. Allee suggests memorizing Scripture. Give it a try. God’s power is in His Word, meant for us to use in our everyday lives. The only way we can draw on His Word is to be in His Word.

Share With Us

Which version of Psalm 107:19-20 did you like the best? Share the verses in the comment section and briefly tell the situation in your life where you can actively apply these verses.

By doing this we can get a head start on the study. Do you believe that God can save you from your distress?

Those who share will be entered to win a free Stressed-Less Living book and conference call series.  Two winners will be selected and announced on Friday.

I can’t wait to read your verses and how you think they can help you today!

Big Hugs to you!

****Winners from yesterday’s “How do you handle stress?”  are:

• April Haynes~ email beginning aprilhaynes1
  • Kathlynn Duggins~ email beginning kasara0907

Email the awesome and fantastic, Angie Combs~OBS Executive Assistant, with your name, email, phone number, and mailing address so she can get you your book and conference call series.

Comments

1. Kamela Easlic says:

The Contemporary English version really spoke to me in a simple straightforward manner. No matter how serious my situation my Lord and Savior hears my cries and delivers me. All I have to do is ask. Wow, now that is love!

• Kamela, so true, I am still learning to accept HIS grace – and I have been a Believer in Christ all my life – and I know He answers me and comforts me – always! Yes, that is love!!! ♥♥♥♥

2. I just wanted to wish a very blessed Resurrection Sunday to you and your family!

Oh and a Happy and Blessed Easter Resurrection Sunday to everyone!!

Praise God! HE’S ALIVE!!!!!

3. … and Mary I am with you in dealing with adult children… I’m learning that my prayer time is the greatest gift or help I can give them now …

4. dayle lynt says:

The CEV and MSG were both my favorite versus. Several years ago I was faced with the knowledge that my husband was cheating on me. It sadden me so that I fell in a desperate situation. Through that journey in my life the Holy Spirit spoke to me through HIS word and taught me how to offer forgiveness so that we both could be mature adults and raise our children to be happy and respect both of us for what each of us offered them – love and care. My former husband and I are friends today and have raised two wonderful children. With this I thank the Lord every day for guiding me, providing me wisdom, and allowing HIS light to shine through me to everyone I encounter every day.

5. The CEV version felt more personal and spoke directly to me. Felt hopeful!

6. Lisa McClure says:

The contemporary English version really spoke to me in a way the others didn’t. It was something I needed to hear today since I was stressing about finances. I keep forgetting the ways God has taken care of us in this area. This verse help me to remember that and then when I looked at our finances God had again provided.

7. beth Erickson says:

I really related to the verses in the Message, since much of my stress currently comes from health issues, my own and my Mother in Law’s ( she was just diagnosed with terminal cancer) What a Great Physician we have!

8. nancys1128 says:

I liked the CEV best because it used “you” as the pronoun, making it much more personal. I can easily change the “you” to “I” and apply it to the stress of my husband finding a new job after the company where he worked closed it doors last week due to bankruptcy.

9. 19 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
    20 He sent out his word and healed them;
    he rescued them from the grave.

The NIV version is my favorite translation. This speaks to me as I cry out to God to save my son from distress and I pray that God heals his anxiety and ADD. I beg God to open his eyes so that he trusts Jesus and accepts him as his Savior and rescues him from death.

10. I found the most encouragement from the Common English Version (CEB) it says,
    19″So they cried out to the Lord in their distress,
    and God saved them from their DESPERATE CIRCUMSTANCES.
    20 GOD GAVE THE ORDER and healed them;
    he rescued them from their pit.”
    No matter how desperate the circumstances we must become even more desperate to hear God’s voice.

11. Edwina Cowgill says:

I like The Message, especially how these verses end – reminding us to be thankful to God! God has brought me and my family through so much-my husband and I remind each other always to be thankful for all of God’s blessings.

I pray that everyone has a blessed and glorious Easter!

Edwina

12. I like to read the entire Psalm, or chapter when given a few verses. My closest Bible to use was my NASB, and I am reminded again of the Lord’s unending lovingkindness that endures forever. He loves me, he knows everything about me and my circumstances, he desires my good. His Word is my limitless eternal resource in times of trouble or not. In Psalm 107, vs. 29-30 also encouraged me. He stills the storm and quiets my soul.

13. deborah fultner says:

I like the New American Standard version. I love these verses. They give us hope and the assurance we are loved by God and he will save us from our distress.
    I am bad about letting negative thoughts flood my mind when my husband makes negative remarks to me. I tend to let satan in before I go to Jesus.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

14. God delivered me from severe anxiety affer losing everything and husband walked away. I am at peace by trusting Him that He will take care of me.

15. Cheri Price says:

New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. I can use this drawing strength from God when anxiety or depression takes hold of me. My Dad past away a couple years ago and sometimes its hard to hold it together.

16. Becky Babin says:

The Contemporary English Version of Psalm 107:19-20 really spoke out to me. It best describes how I felt when I found myself with 4 children to raise when my husband of 19 years decides he prefers men over me. I very vividly remember sitting at my kitchen table just pouring over the psalms and barely hanging on to my senses. I was so overwhelmed and distraught I actually could not put one foot in front of the other. All I knew at the time was that I had my faith and that was the one thing I knew to cling on to. I to this day pick up my bible at night and read through some of the psalms just to feel comforted before drifting off to sleep. The Lord is definitely my rock and my refuge!

17. I had never read anything in the CEV before, but I checked out Biblegateway and checked out lots of versions. I too, like the CEV. I am trying to learn to turn to the Lord, in prayer, whenever I am troubled-currently I am struggling with anxiety and guilt over impulse buying and our finances, and losing my temper with my children..
    I look forward to this study, I am struggling to find calm and peace.

18. Rhonda G says:

I normally use the NIV version but I really like the NLT because of “LORD HELP” that is the ultimate – call to HIM for help and he will save you from your distress. As I read the posts I see how much stress is in our world, at times you think it’s only you but it’s everywhere and STRESS is a serious thing. I always say I’m not going to worry but the human in you can’t help but worry. I have many stressers – a very stressful job, lots of late hours, a son in the Navy (which is a wonderful thing for him and his family) they are the bright spot in my life right now. A son that is a freshman in college that believes he should have all freedom and I honestly don’t know how his grades are but he is on a full scholarship and if he loses that it will be a very SAD day – he says things are fine, the thing is last week he and I were pretty much not getting along well at all because of staying out late, just all of the things that 19 almost 20 year old young men thing Mom no longer has a right to tell them what to do – very stressful and a night where I went to bed at 5:00 and got up for work at 6:30 after texting all night back and forth with him. At that point I believe this would have been a perfect verse “LORD HELP” I honestly did that night/morning tell my LORD that I was turning it all over him to HIM in this situation – I could not handle the stress of going through this and having to go to a job everyday that was very stressful also. I have honestly been at piece with the fact that I know God will take care of my son and has relieved me of the worry. Last night he text me that he was staying out a while longer and I said “Whatever, I have turned you over to God and it is between you and HIM” He said IDK what you mean and I told him God was taking my stress away and he was completely in GOD’s hands. I’m sorry to ramble but I know that this study is going to bring me so much closer to GOD and help me to handle all of the other many stressers in my life. I need this so much right now as I have been so close to thinking I needed counseling and I believe there can be no better counseling than this STUDY.

19. Shannon Swedenburg says:

I cannot wait for this study. There’s so much going on in my mind right now that I can’t keep it all straight. I grabbed my daughters’ NKJV and flipped through to Psalms 107:19-20. But I didn’t stop reading there. I was ‘told’ to keep going and found basically the same message but in a little deeper sense. So deep in fact that I nearly came to tears because although I talk to God daily, I haven’t been completely revealing to him yet he knew that and apparently felt that I needed to see that I am “doing business on great waters” and feeling “at wits end” BUT because at the time that I was reading verses 23-31, I cried out to him because upon reading those words I knew my mind was in trouble and there it was “And he brings them out of their distresses. He calms the storm”. Although my mind is still cluttered and thoughts bouncing and changing so randomly I feel almost at ease.

20. I like the Common English Bible version it shows how God can pull us out of the most desperate of circumstances and give us hope for a future with Him. My life changed several years ago: discovery my young daughter had been abused by my now ex husband. Only God’s Word got me through this and enabled us to heal together and now she is a lovely Christian woman full of hope for a bright future. There is so much hope in many of the chapters in Psalms…..

21. I really liked the Contemporary English Version too. I have never read that version before. I like it because it was so simple and straight forward…it encouraged me that when we are in trouble we can pray and God will hear us and rescue us. I am looking forward to this bible study and being able to share and encourage one another…love and prayers to all

22. I liked the NLT. Verse 19 Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
    That’s sometimes all I can muster to say, “Lord, help!” and it’s enough for Him to come and “save” me from my “distress”

23. The NIV always seems to be my favorite version because that’s the first version I had and started memorizing years ago. I also really liked the MSG version for this verse too, it was so descriptive. These verses are a help and a peace in dealing with the uncertainty of ongoing chronic health issues.

24. RUTHONA WASINGER says:

I LIKED THE NIV VERSION BEST. THE BIGGEST SOURCE OF STRESS FOR ME
    RIGHT NOW IS MY HUSBAND’S QUICK TEMPER.

25. I like the NIV version but enjoyed reading the others. I can apply this to my life each day because I am a worrier. It seems lately I worry most about my job. It is very stressful being in a leadership position with a somewhat young team. I feel very overwhelmed most days with all the responsibility and just worry about it all because I want to do my very best and some days are just spent putting out fires! I enjoy my job but am afraid I will burn out due to stress and worry. I just pray every day God will go before me. These verses remind me God will help me. These verses remind me God will help me.

26. The Message really spoke to me. I had an emotional affair a few months back that initially caused me to be feel physically ill and not be able to eat. God has given my husband and I the needed strength to get through it all. Although the guilt is still with me, it has subsided to the point of actually being able to function again.

• Don’t look back, but keep moving forward and be strong Sarah. God can restore! It is sometimes in our most desperate places that we come face to face with just how big the grace of God is. Thank you for sharing your story.

27. This verse speaks to me as I realized what helped me and what is helping me as a family member deals with an addiction issue and we are trying to recover from financial issues also.

19 “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
    20 He sent out his word and healed them,
    snatching them from the door of death.

28. I like to use NIV, the verses reminds me to ask help from God, even when I’m facing challenges on caring my teen daughter! He is the savior and healer!

19 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he saved them from their distress.
    20 He sent out his word and healed them;
    he rescued them from the grave.

29. I can relate and testify about psalms 107 :19-20;It is so true that he says you from your destruction.I was on deaths door when I met Jesus and accepted Him as My Savior,and through walking with Him I am alive and healed of all sickness that

30. I can relate and testify about psalms 107 :19-20;It is so true that he says you from your destruction.I was on deaths door when I met Jesus and accepted Him as My Savior,and through walking with Him I am alive and healed of all sickness that WAS upon me.He never seases to amaze me !!!!!HALLELUJAH!!!!! mARILYN

31. Brenda E says:

I like the New English Translation the best -They cried out to the Lord in their distress; he delivered them from their troubles. I have 3 children the oldest was born with a birth defect and lived for 18 years. She passed away last May. I like being in control of my life because it helps me cope. Now my elderly in- laws are living with me. My father in-law broke his hip last Friday and is back home needing around the clock care. I feel these verses and the rest of Psalms 107 remind me that God is in control. I just have to trust him to work out all of the details. And if I get in too deep to call on him because he will rescue me from my distress.

32. In reading the full Psalm 107, you really get the full effect of 19 and 20;lines 10 through 16 really sets up the tone for 19 & 20 for me. The full extent of our stress is that we make choices in life and then circumstances might take a turn and increase the level of stress even more and the heat gets so hot we rebel. In the heat, we turn away from God, instead of toward him, and even then in our anger and pain, if we turn toward God and cry out his name and ask for his help, he saves us. I also have a stressful job ever I am advisor to many, along with managing my own business, a teenage son, and me & my husband also have have taken on the role of caretakers to my special needs brother 20 years my senior, along with other many stresses of life today. Due to the choices I have made in leading a busy life, I have become more isolated from other Christian women who could be of support. The more alone, the more stresses life adds,the more chance of rebelling. Yesterday was a day of climaxes and I found that instead of turning toward God and being still, I broke. I was angry & lashing out. Those at home take the biggest toll because you have a face to out on to the outside world. I felt horrible at the end of the day and unworthy to come to God. PSALM 107 shows me, along with the other posts on this page, that there are many in the pain of stress, and that when we cry out Lord, help, he will save us. Thank you fir this blog. I am looking forward to the Bible study.

33. I love The Message Version of this verse – “Some of you were sick because you’d lived a bad life, your bodies feeling the effects of your sin; You couldn’t stand the sight of food, so miserable you thought you’d be better off dead. Then you called out to God in your desperate condition; he got you out in the nick of time. He spoke the word that healed you, that pulled you back from the brink of death.”

This is wordy and love, but I love how it states we are responsible for our present position by choices we’ve made, we get desperate and cry out, and God saves us in the nick of time with his WORD! Powerful. God has saved me in the nick of time many times. His Word has power, His love is unfailing, and He always answers, even when it’s not the answer we were hoping for. Love this verse!

34. Tilease J says:

The version that was best for me was the NIV. Right now, my biggest worry is finances. My husband & I have made some bad decisions in the past and are now trying to be faithful with Gods money. So of course things start happening that tries to take our focus off of God. This scripture helps me to know that even in my distress, even when I’ve brought it on myself, when I call on God, He will hear me and He will rescue me. He will save me from the grave. That does my heart good, because sometimes it feels like that’s exactly where I’m headed, because I’m focused on my situation and not on God.

• Amber Oatman (OBS leader) says:

We have been there Tilease. Learning to trust in God and completely surrendering all financial choices to Him is hard but SO rewarding. We have seen God work miracles in our finances many times even sometimes when we have been unfaithful with spending. It used to be a MAJOR stressor for me but God has been teaching me that if I place everything in His hands and ask Him before making any financial decisions that He will guide our steps. I know that this study will affirm that! Praying the same for you!!

35. Happy Good Friday! I like the NIV version. Right now my family is going through a rough the. My 39 year old sister in law had a stroke and she is on life support. My brother and her family have to make a decision on whether to put a tracheotomy in and a feeding tube and send her to a vent facility or take her off all support and let nature run its course. It is a very sad, unreal situation. I have asked our Lord what are we to learn from this.

I am so looking forward to starting this stress less study. This is my first online bible study.

Have a wonderful Easter!
    Nancy

36. I read the versions several times, and the language in the CEV version, was the one that spoke to me. Depending on the message from God’s holy word is the way through our stress. My son and wife are separating and have two small children whom I cherish. They were all living with us, but through poor choices on my son’s end they are parting. I am always in the middle it seems, because of helping with the kids, it is very stressful because the daughter in law does not want to talk or see my son. Therefore she wants me to do all of the exchanging of the kids. Poor little ones! It is a long story with many twists and turns and this is a short version of a difficult situation. Thank you for allowing me to share.

• Amber Oatman (OBS leader) says:

Praying for strength for your mamas/grandmas heart!! My mom is going through the same thing right now. Glad that you have God on your side!

37. I looked this up in my own ESV biblegateway.com link. Funny, I was reminded that a lot of times my own ‘stress’ times is when I’m not turning things over to God as I should and then its a big cry for ‘Help!’. But His Word is always there for us, and heals us… So then I recite Psalm 13 (How long Lord?) LOL…
    Peace and blessings to all…

38. I Loved this one…
    Some of you were sick because you’d lived a bad life,
    your bodies feeling the effects of your sin;
    You couldn’t stand the sight of food,
    so miserable you thought you’d be better off dead.
    Then you called out to God in your desperate condition;
    he got you out in the nick of time.
    He spoke the word that healed you,
    that pulled you back from the brink of death.
    So thank God for his marvelous love,
    for his miracle mercy to the children he loves;
    Offer thanksgiving sacrifices,
    tell the world what he’s done—sing it out!
    Because I have been having lots of health problems and recently had heart surgery! Because of my daily devotions I am learning so much about how the Lord has been opening my eyes to reasons behind situations and giving me strength to move forward knowing everything happens for a reason and how precious life is and our bodies are temples so we must respect that and take better care of ourselves!

39. NIV is my favorite, however I also like the message. Reading it twice helps me to remember anyway!

40. Janeen Hedeen says:

I loved these verses in The Message today, tomorrow may be the NIV.

41. My daughter & I are doing this Bible Study together, so I am sure there will be much sharing and growing for both of us. Psalm 107:19-20 cries out to me. I was in an extremely dark place. My marriage of 13 years, which had few happy moments, was spiraling quickly. Every night was spent with yelling from him and my self worth crumbling. I had just finished treatments for cancer and was beginning to think it would have been better to have had a different “verdict” when my beloved father passed away. I truly spent one night, a very dark night, CRYING OUT IN DESPARATION to the Lord. If He wanted me here, He needed to tell me. And then, I heard the names of my children, Sarah and Krystina. I just heard them. They had always been my driving force thus far, but in my desparation, it was hard to see – and feel – anything. God brought me back. He saved me that day. He has been healing me ever since. I have always been a fairly strong Christian, but THAT day – gave me the healing I needed to continue and grow and learn. His faithfulness will never leave us!!

• Amber Oatman (OBS leader) says:

Crying!!! What a beautiful testimony of how God answers us when we cry out in desperation to Him! Praying for healing both physically and in your heart Susan <3

We serve an AWESOME God!

42. I am going through a lot of ditress right now and Psalm 107:19-20 really spoke to me today. I am possibly going through a divorce after being in a not so good marriage for ten years. Still going through a lot right now and hoping and praying that the Lord gives me the guidnace I am desperately seeking. I am looing forward to the online Bible study coming up.

43. For a long time I have been a fan of NIV version. This time, reading the 2 verses, I think for the first time the word ‘Word’ jumped out at me…I do not think I ever noticed it before “He sent out his word and healed them”…I guess ’cause your whole msg above was on the importance of God’s word.
    I practiced yesterday what you wrote above. My distress was/is the recent security-situation in the area where I live, and I rely only on the fact that only God can keep me safe, esp. at night while I sleep and when other ‘not so nice people’ on the streets wander around for their own pruposes breaking into buildings. I would appreciate prayers on my behalf for that too, pls.

44. I liked the NLT version. I love the way I can say “Lord, help!”and he there to listen to my cry.

45. Amber Oatman (OBS leader) says:

I usually use the NKJV but I love the NIV for this verse;

“Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent forth His word and healed them; He rescued them from the grave.”

How fitting is that today, “He rescued them from the grave” !

I love reading the Psalms because the psalmists were so real and raw with God. They poured out their hearts to Him and didn’t hold anything back. They admitted their shortcomings and asked for forgiveness. They were conscious that they needed God and they asked Him to not allow them to turn away. They fervently sought after His presence.

All through the Psalms you read about His people crying out to Him and it always follows with He answers me, He saved me, He rescued them, He brought them out…etc. God ALWAYS shows up when we cry out to Him.

Im so thankful that because of Jesus sacrifice on the cross we can cry out directly to God and He will answer us in our time of di-stress <3 <3

46. I have soo many days I have turned to God especially in the last 4 months. With 7 children, a job (which I ended up losing after 12 year) and a household to watch over…my back called the shots and ended up having surgery in November. Of course pain increased afterwards and a second opinion was obtained to find out I have more issues going on than I knew of. I am grateful to God for leading me to find the answers and having the FAITH that things will get better. Faith is my word for 2013. Each day I read devotions to help me get through the daily pain. I am thankful for what has been given to me. I know I am blessed but also stressed. So quiet time is good when I lean on God for support.

47. Angie Camerlinck says:

I enjoy the NIV translation the most. I have found that I am able to understand that translation a lot better. I agree though that most all of the same the same thing just in a different way.

I can actively use these verses when I am feeling stressed because the finances are short again for another month and I have went another month with unsuccessful attempts at trying to get child support from their father.

When I find myself in these situations and feeling very stressed out about it all, I look to the Lord to take my worries and stress away and I just give it all to him and hope that it will all workout for the better. Just like the verse says “Then they cried to their Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.” What an awesome verse to look to when dealing with stress.

Thank you for sharing this verse, much needed at this time in my life.

Angie

48. This really spoke to me. It is never too late to ask for God’s help. Even in when someone hits rock bottom, if they ask God for help he will pull them off of that cliff.

49. Pam Ward says:

I usually read from the NIV but the New Living really shouted out to me today. The part where it says “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble . . .
    Being a pastor’s wife and I teach Kindergarten students in a public school, there is a lot to stress me out! On top of that I’m a control freak. I try to fix everything myself but I’m learning when I read God’s Word and let go and let Him, it is so much better. However, there are still times I just cry out – Lord, help!
    Thanks for sharing the different versions too.
    Pam

50. Shannon Callicutt says:

I have an 11 year old son with Autism. This particular scripture spoke volumes to me! It reminded me that He not only saved me from my sins…but when I cry out to Him, he will save me from my everyday problems and stresses! It is a wonderful reminder especially when my son is acting out in a way that I feel that I can’t control. I just need to call on the Lord, and he will save me from my distress!
    I am encouraged by this!
    Shannon