Apr 23

SLL Week 3, Day 2 ~ Chapter 3

SLL Week 3 Pin Pic Isaiah 30-15

Feel free to share, pin, or copy the graphic above. You can find it on our Pinterest page. If you can’t see the graphic for our Reflection Verse, Isaiah 30:15, click here to view it directly on the OBS blog.

We are off to a great start to Week 3 of our Stressed-Less Living Online Bible Study! I’m Stephanie Clayton, and I’m so excited to be your Bible study leader this week! Let’s continue where we left off…

This week we will be reading Chapter 3, The Silent Killer. I loved reading your comments from the Overview and Day 1 post. It seems we all know why stress is a silent killer. We know that stress can harm us physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. What we don’t know is how to stop stressing!

I love what Courtney shared in the comment section:

“Stress will take the joy out of your life and make you the most unpopular girl in your circle! When we are stressed, we tend to let the world know what we’re stressed about. We want those who we are confiding in to tell us what to do. We forget our Heavenly Father is waiting for us to cry and be vulnerable to him. Plus, he has an awesome life and stress manual for to follow… Our Bibles! I am the first to admit that I forget all these things when stress comes over me.”

True that girlfriend!!!! We all have stress reduction strategies tucked away in our minds…stress busting scriptures highlighted in our Bibles…God’s truth written on our hearts…but in the moment…it all seems to disappear! I watched the movie The Avengers this weekend and I couldn’t help but identify with the Incredible Hulk! When I get stressed, I bust out of everything I know…stress takes over me like a massive ugly green monster…and I end up hurting people and things I never meant to hurt…including myself!

As we read Chapter 3 there are a few things I want us to keep in mind so that we can learn to battle the stress monster!

1. What stress busting techniques have worked for you in the past? Examples: Progressive Relaxation, stretching, exercising, doing something you enjoy,   spending time with friends, taking a hot bath, drinking a cup of hot tea…etc…
  2. What scriptures and Biblical truths have you found particularly helpful?
  3. How can you use these things to help you in the moment before you turn into the crazed green stress monster?

For me…I am going to choose to use the relaxation techniques I enjoy (taking a hot bath, exercising, progressive relaxation, or a cup of hot tea) to get me to a place where I can focus on God’s Word and spend time communicating with Him. Stress reduction techniques will never replace the peace that comes only from the Lord…but they can be very helpful in getting us to a place where we are ready to receive God’s Truth and healing.

Take time to answer the questions in the back of the Chapter…they will guide you in understanding what stress management strategies have worked and haven’t worked for you personally.

In the comment section you can choose to answer one of the questions in the back of the book from Chapter 3, or you can choose to answer the questions I posted above. If you are reading this post via email, click here to comment!

And as Melissa mentioned a few days ago, our give-away this week is beautiful jewelry! YES please! This week we are giving away a custom designed P31 OBS Necklace donated by The Rusted Chain! Isn’t it gorgeous!!! Every time you comment throughout the week you will be entered to win! So let’s get to studying and attacking that silent killer!

Necklace P31 OBS

To read She Left a Legacy of Hope, click here.

The Week 3 Overview and Day 1 you can be accessed here.

Comments

1. Lynn Graham says:

(1) the stress busting techniques I have worked for me in the past are:
    (a) Bible study
    (b ) hanging out with some friends
    (c) relaxation tapes …….once I get them

(2)(Matthew:28-30 ) come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. for my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (3)I can use these things by reading the bible, Psalms is a good book for a start.

• Come to me all you who are weary and burdened…. such perfect advice from him, and yet we faff around looking for other solutions, when all the time all we need to do is “Come to me”! even if we’re so stressed or upset that we don’t have words, resting in his presence is the first step to peace..

I love dipping into Psalms too – often I find a reminder that to praise God in ALL our circumstances is the way to go.. :-)

2. Lynn Graham says:

IT seems like I forgot something. the verse is Matthew 11:28-30

3. Love it!!! Thank you –need to de-stress!! Blessings, Barb

4. My stress busting technique is doing dishes or cleaning. Its like i have this tremendous energy i have to get rid of when i am stressed so i can’t just take a hot bath or as much as i would like to sit and enjoy some of my fave CD’s or even the bible on CD. I have to get rid of the energy that totally fills me so i work it off and then finally i can be still and and calm.

• I tend to be a cleaner too, when I stress. I have that energy too, and I’m afraid if I do take the bath or sit, but I will be that Incredible Hulk Stephanie Clayton was referring to in the blog post! :)

• Christa H.(OBS Leader) says:

Diki and Christa, next time you get stressed, could you please come over to my house ? Thank you. :)

• Michele aka Mickie from St Hgts Michigan says:

My house too…need some of that de-stress
          energy u 2 have!!!

• Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

I’m with Christa H…please come over to my house, too, diki and Christa, the next time y’all are stressed!! LOL!!

• This used to be me diki! I still find myself cleaning if I get MAD – but most of the time I find myself wanting to be away from the world, secluded with my book and my bible – I love the alone time!

• Christa H. (OBS leader) says:

Alone time is a big stress buster for me too. Reading, grocery shopping, exercising..as long as I’m by myself it doesn’t matter what I am doing.

5. Going for a good brisk walk or a run is a great way to relieve stress. I haven’t been able to do that on a regular basis in a while….that’s probably why I’ve been so stressed.
    I’m so thankful for this OBS, all the Bible verses and reading is helping me to be open to what God wants to be in my life.

• A G R E E! I am in such a better place when I’m walking or working out regularly. I have been out of the gym for a week and it’s really working on me. My daughter is a senior and plays varsity softball – we had games every night but one last night and this week is much of the same…….All I can see is the light at the end of the tunnel so I can be back walking/running or hitting a bag in my Muay Thai class – it really DOES eliminate the STRESS Monster!

• Sheryl k says:

I so agree Dawn. I love getting out side for a long walk to enjoy nature and spend sometime in prayer and to just meditate on all my blessings. For the past three weeks Minnesota has been enduring some late snowstorms. Very challenging to just get to work. Needless to say I haven’t been able to get out for my morning walk! And how I miss it. We are all longing for spring and the warmer days.

6. What stress busting techniques have worked for me in the past? I love to listen to praise music to lift me up when I am stressed, also I go to the gym and walk and have downloaded sermons from Elevation church, Life today, Life church, Joyce Meyer etc. Listening to the word of God preached while I walk relaxes me.

Scriptures~John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

~Philippians 4:6,7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

~Psalms 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved

These are a few verses, but they all say basically the same thing, only God can give us true peace, He is always there for us when we cry out to Him, I just need to go to Him right away instead of trying to handle things on my own.
    Praying for all of us to have a stressed-less life by learning to rely on the Father who loves us more than anything!!
    God Bless You ladies :)

7. Stress busting for me requires creativity. When I have had just about as much as I can take of school and school related duties my husband will say, “Go scrapbook.” That creativity time helps me focus on something else. I also enjoy crocheting: usually I am working on something for someone else. All the while that I am crocheting, I think about the smile that will be on their face when they receive their handmade item. That switch of mindset takes me away from the focus of worrying about things and I can focus instead on someone else.

• I have weekend scrapbook getaways with my friends – the fellowship does wonders for me! I am also blessed to have a husband who recognizes and supports this need as well. One of the best worship experiences I have ever had was at a scrapping weekend!

• Right now, I am looking at the stress in my life and I am asking God, what are you trying to teach me through these circumstances?
      To reduce stress I love to go on a hike at Paris Mountain State Park. I enjoy walking and exercising, and nature. I love talking to my close friends and mother and listening to their advise and words of wisdom. I enjoy taking a nap on Sunday as I get ready for a busy week.

Scripture: come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest. He is my shelter and fortress. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

• TJ Conner says:

Giving to someone else, concentrating on others instead of my self always makes me feel better too. I love that you posted this because I think its important for people to remember. When I end up in a pity party of 1, or sad, or frustrated, I write a personal card to a friend I haven’t talked to in a while and encourage her. Or I call someone I haven’t talked to in a while and make myself talk about the other person, ask lots of questions, and brighten their day. Or I work on a quilt for someone else and think of the surprise in their eyes and warmth it will bring them for years to come and they will know every time they see it, that they are loved. When I am unemployed I find a place to volunteer- it helps me to think of others instead of myself all the time. there are others in worse situations and I need to be grateful and not stress.

• I agree Stella – I find sometimes I get stressed if I DON’T create.. my art journal can be a good one, especially as it’s more of a faith journal so as well as playing with paint/pastels/pencil/anything else that grabs me, I’m also thinking about the verse I’m using.. it also be good for working out thoughts/problems and to look back on and see how things have changed! :-)

8. Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

My prior stress busting techniques were hot baths, helping others (produces endorphins like exercise) and unfortunately, over-eating. I’ve replaced the over-eating with walking and spending time with the LORD in prayer or in His Word. <3

My favorite Scripture in times of stress is Isaiah 40:31

"but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint."

• Paige Ward says:

Also a favorite scripture of mine

• mine too! It is one of many that my 19 year old daughter and I share…something about this one and Jer 29:11 just bonds us together!

9. Jennifer says:

I enjoy getting outside – the weather is beautiful in the evenings now, and it is a blessing just to enjoy God’s creation and feel the stress release out of by body.

I’ve also noticed that I have more of a tendency to stress at that time of the month, which is rapidly approaching – hopefully awareness of my tendencies will also allow me to slow down before jumping off the deep end. :)

I’ve been breathing in Isaiah 30:15 – I love the reminder to focus on my Abba, confident that He is bigger than any issue I have to deal with, and my primary job is to rest in Him.

Much love,
    Jennifer

10. my biggest stress unwinder is a long hot bath and a book. Sometimes it’s my bible, sometimes bible study and sometimes its another book I am reading for fun. Other times I just can not put one more thought into my head so it’s just quiet and I do a lot of talking to God during that time. I like how Stephanie said above – using the relaxation techniques to get to a place where she can focus on God.
    My stress, my lonliness and all the other icky feelings always seemed to be lessoned when I am actively engaged in scripture…why am I so easily led away by life’s busyness or whatever other excuse I can find? Still working on this!

• I love this ‘ other times I just cannot put one more thought into my head’ – I get this. I will ride with my radio off in the car – with the tv off in the house – or maybe the tv is on but I am watching senseless stuff – (The Hallmark Channel) …where there’s no thinking involved……I have to ask God to bring peace and stop the wheels that are grinding in my head – Some days I cannot absorb just one more thing – I have to put it off til tomorrow because I am spent…..I can so relate to this!!!!!! I’m thankful for Tracie for identifying with these same things and showing us that we too can have peace!!!! Keep reading that scripture!

11. Lynda in South Carolina says:

One of my favorite verses has already been mentioned – Philippians 4: 6-7. Reciting this aloud helps me a lot… Walking, sharing with friends, quiet reflections, music.. can be instrumental when I’m feeling stressed.
    Stress is a beast that overcomes so many and literally destroys their life, their joy their wellbeing. I cannot imagine dealing with the daily stressors of life without FAITH… there are so many times that I become wrapped up in it and I lose sight.. that is when it does the most damage.. I have been there all too many times. Somedays, it is easier to let my faith and prayer lead, somedays stress comes barging through the door from the get-go.. But that is when I have to be extra mindful and put my head, heart, and soul in the right place..

• LOVE IT!!!!! Stress is a BEAST – Amen Lynda!!!! I love that you recognize it and can re-direct it! I’m not so good at that but working on it! This study is really helping me realize where changes need to take place!!!!!

12. Christa H.(OBS Leader) says:

I loved this quote from page 63. “He came bringing spiritual healing that not only saves the soul but saturates it with peace and minimizes the stress in our hearts.” I am beginning to see my soul like a big sponge…soaking up the peace Jesus offers until it is saturated and can hold nothing else. When my sponge is filled with the clean water of peace, there is no room for the dirty sludge of life to get in there. It’s only when I let stress and worry wring the peace out of my spongy heart that fear and hopeless can have a place.

• ah Christa, this was one I read and posted last night – I absolutely fell in love with this….. He’s not only a physical doctor but comes bringing SPIRITUAL HEALING and not only SAVES THE SOUL, but SATURATES it with PEACE and MINIMIZES the STRESS…….oh yes, yes, yes……. I get all warm and fuzzy just reading it again!!!! LOVE IT!

13. I have tried to lose weight for years. Long story short I have realized food has been my stress reliever. and I always took care of everyone else and ignored what I have needed and the only thing I did for me was eat not so good stuff for me.I have noticed I automatically go for food when I feel stress. This Bible study has made me realize how huge my stress actually is. So I am starting to try to exercise, read a book and just be intentional about listening to my body. Its been such a blessing, Praise God I feel like some of the bondage is already lifted!!!! And besides the fact when you take the time to put the right things in your body and exercise, you even think differently.

• Woohoo Karen! Coming from a Stress Eater – who has gained and lost the same 100 lbs. over and over – GREAT job! HUGE blessing – food can cause some heavy bondage – and it can trap us for years and years unless we get it under control. I’m so happy to see you taking the steps to break free from that bondage! That’s good stuff!!!!!

• OH yes I left this out of my post, FOOD!! I have really been trying not to stress eat, and walking free of that bondage as I have been in bondage to it for 50+ years but the Lord is helping me to be free praise God!!!

• Good for you Karen praying for you that you will be totally free of that bondage!!!

• TJ Conner says:

I have battled a fight between guilt and food courtesy of stress for years. I enjoy food and that made it an easy excuse to eat when I got stressed which left me feeling horrible about the junk I was putting into my body. The cycle is horrible and never ending. I have made an extra effort over the last couple years to eat more of the good, healthy foods that I like when I feel the need to eat. Carrots and other veggies give me great vitamins and natural energy and doesn’t take up residence on my hips! Its not easy and some days I don’t win but I keep at it. I think this is something I’ll always have to fight if I want to keep my body healthy for the Lord.
      I am excited for you that you feel the bondage lifting and I encourage you to remember that you are not alone in this.

14. jackie s says:

stephanie – one comment you made really made sense – i too agree that only God can bring peace, but there are many times that I need to slow myself down to really focus on God and let God focus on me. i have a couch in a small room that I will use for that purpose (plus, my Bible sits on the stand beside it). i will remind myself to get to that couch – take some deep breaths – and then grab my Bible.

• LOVE THIS!

• Looking for a ‘like’ button – I think I spend too much time on facebook! Jackie S that sounds awesome – and I can relate to the ‘needing to slow down to focus on God’ bit! For me sometimes it’s more of an about-turn and focus on God thing, like this morning.. Bless you hon xx

15. Jeanie Kelley says:

What stress busting techniques have worked for you? For me, writing has been my blessing. I can write all day and get out what I need to get out. Getting it out on a piece of paper can give me a good nights sleep. I am not as stressed as I was before. I also love the idea of drinking the hot tea to focus on God. 2. What scriptures and Biblical truths have you found particularly helpful? Isaiah 30:15 is so good or me right now and Isaiah 41:10 and Psalm 107:19. These tell me that I can rely on God to carry me and not on my own self. 3. How can I use these things to help you in the moment before you turn into a crazed green stress monster? All of them. But mostly continue with the writing.

• I’ve always LOVED to write! As a child I wrote all the time – I remember sitting in my grandma’s screened in porch watching the kids in the neighborhood play as I sat with my notebook and pen – I always wanted to be a writer – THIS could be why SheSpeaks is calling my name – I’m feeling the God Nudge to be there…..thank you for the peaceful memory this morning!!!!! Praying you have an awesome stress free day!

16. I have to send myself to my room to calm down before the green monster breaks loose. I truly understand what you wrote. Some days I call my self the ogre!
    Following these passages, quoting them, Writing them and singing them is helping so much!

• LOL, I cracked up when I read this – I’m sure my husband and kids think I am the OGRE sometimes! There are some days I can’t even stand to be around myself…..it’s then that I need to retreat to the bubble bath!

• Hehe! Yep! Sighhhhh!

Oh may the Word of God drench my heart with HIS PEACE! Loving this study. Needed it sooo much. Living in Spain, starting a small church, very few Christian sisters, all in different walks, another language, sometimes is a stressed in and of itself.

17. I take time off from work to just do nothing…annual leave that gives me a chance to rest, connect with friends, be with God in thought and nature, and to sew. I took up quilting about 4 years ago, and find it very therapeutic and relaxing…and it touches on my creative side, which is so very far away from the stressful job side of my life. I also took hold of my issue with weight last Fall and started a program that helped me to see that I really didn’t pay much attention to what went into my mouth…I ate healthy but I did not see that what I ate did not go well with each other, and have lost 40 pounds and feel so much better. And finally I discovered my love for photography…not the competitive kind, but the kind that lets me see God’s world in amazing ways,,,this truly lifts my heart.

18. Oh I still don’t have my book yet. I was told that I would be able to follow along on the blog. I bought a book but it couldn’t be sent internationally. Now I can’t find the third chapter. Could you help me? Thanks.

• Dani, Private Message me and let me see if I can’t help get you a book internationally……if nothing else, I can ship it myself. Not sure, but I am willing to reach out and see if I can help you!

• Thank you Kelly. I did buy a book and my mom will be sending it but that takes about 2wks. I did buy it about three wks ago, but I don’t think my mom has sent it yet. Lol. I will probably buy a kindle version. Thaks for responding so quickly. I am so loving this study.

• Dani,
      I’m sorry you have been unable to get the book. That is the only thing you have to have to do the study. I’m not sure who told you that you wouldn’t need it, but that’s what we are using as our guide. You can still get a lot out of the blog posts and Bible study we will continue to post every week.
      The publisher of Stressed-Less Living, Leafwood Publishers, were kind enough to allow us access to the first 2 chapters, but we can’t get more than that. You would have to contact them personally for that permission. Proverbs 31 Ministries ships internationally to most countries. You can contact our resource department for help. Resources@Proverbs31.org

Hope this helps!

• Thank you, Melissa, I was in contact with Prov.31. And they said I would be able to follow along weekly. But I will have to buy another copy for my kindle I guess. I really want to keep on. I Had my copy sent to my Mom’s so that I could get it later due to Prov. 31 not shipping to Spain. I had thought they did as well. Thank you again for responding.

19. Thank you Stephanie!!! I am like you – I love relaxing baths with a good hot tea….and I love to be somewhere quiet and alone – just the solitude of the ‘quiet’ is relaxing for me. Life is always spinning a million miles an hour and it isn’t often we can just turn it off and veg! Sunday I was exhausted and no one was home for a good part of the day – I turned on the Hallmark channel and wrapped in a fleece blanket and just had peace and quiet as I watched my movies (and it was more than 1!!!!! how about that!) – my favorite place to be is the beach….. I call it God’s Country……or high in the mountains…also God’s country …. I grew up in Buffalo and have been to Niagara Falls more times to count – God’s country…….it’s something about surrounding yourself in the creations designed by HIM and HIM alone……comforting to bask in His beauty. I think I have just been taken there with this post!!! :) – I will say I did not stress about the mess in my bedroom Sunday…..I turned it all off and boy did I need that!!!

• I also just love a quiet morning snuggled up with Lifetime movies lol! It seems like a long time ago since I had one of those days! I do not get much alone time but isnt there just something calming about being home alone for a few hours – to just “be” – rest, refresh- no working or cleaning or demands!

20. Having a husband who has many health issues and trying to help him through them,this study has been such a blessing,after I done my regular devotion for the day today,I went to my stress-less readings.Today the Psalm that was mentioned ,Psalm 130:2-5 is going to be my scripture that I am focusing on all day long.Verse 2 says to Praise the Lord O my soul,and forget not all His benefits…..Doing this study and reading all the comments has brought so much into my life.Thank you all

• Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader) says:

Sherry lifting your husband up in prayer and you too as you minister to him!

21. Paige Ward says:

I’m not very good at recognizing my stress, so that is where I need to begin. Also after realizing it stopping and doing something to relax. Then I can use the techniques to calm myself down to the point of saturating myself in God’s Word. The techniques that relax me the most are taking a walk and just listening to nature, quilting, listening to the Gathers, and reading a good fiction book. Some scriptures I like are 1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. Isaiah 43:19 – See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. John 16:33 – …in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

22. In the past, I would say food has been a stress reliever but then actually I realized it only stressed me out more b/c I over ate. I still have a tendency to eat but now I i try to pray (serenity prayer), listen to music/sing LOUD, take a walk, read the psalms, talk to a friend. I also love Phil 4:6-7 but I follow it up with verse 8…I need to replace my stress (& pity party) with His thoughts…thoughts that are lovely, good, noble, trustworthy, excellent, etc

• Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader) says:

Gina – me too, but I’m learning and trying to head outdoors to work in the yard or walk the dog now when I feel stress. It gets my mind off what is bothering me when I start looking at all God has done around me.

23. For stress busting I put on my walking shoes and grab my iPod loaded with my dad’s music loaded on it. He recently passed away and each of his kids now can listen to his inspirational music anytime after we giving this wonderful gift. Not only do I feel close to my dad but my Father too!

• Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader) says:

That’s beautiful Carol! I feel close to my dad when I am reading poetry that he wrote. My mom gave me his poetry book after he died. I love and need to take those somewhere and get them put in a bound book. Daddy also wrote religious songs but we don’t have but one of them on a tape.

24. Carol Thompson group 26 says:

My stress tends to come from my job as I am in a service oriented business. Some days are more difficult than others and I fail miserably. But, then God nudges me to apologize to an employee for having an outburst. I cannot get away very often since we own and manage the business. But God is good. He has allowed me to have my outlet of exercise. And even nudged me into teaching Body and Soul aerobics which allows for my exercise and gives me encouraging music too. Yesterday was a bad day, but today will be better. We will be away for a few days, so hopefully the business will be ok while we are gone and we will come back rested. Please pray.

• Stephanie W. says:

Carol, customer service is (I think) one of the most difficult jobs to have. People can be really abusive and rude, which makes it so much more difficult for us to not explode. I worked for several years in customer service and it was the darkest time of my life as my faith suffered terribly. Praying for you as you do spend a few days away. Praying that you will be recharged and refreshed and covered in God’s peace.

25. Stephanie W. says:

The stress busting techniques that I have used in the past have not worked…and that’s why I am learning so much from this study. I used to try the hot baths, or cup of tea. BUT, never followed it up with reading my Bible! That is actually very embarrassing for me to admit as I am a pastor. I get so down on myself because I am not ‘practicing what I am preaching!’ This study has really drawn me into my Bible for more than just preparing sermons or a quick daily devotion. I am so thankful to Tracie for her honesty and for the women of this study for openly sharing. So now stress busting techniques may include grabbing a cup of tea, but at the same time I am also grabbing my Bible and heading to a quiet corner!

• Stephanie…I have been where you are. We can get so caught up in pouring out and ministering to others that we forget the most important thing – filling up and spending time in God’s presence just for US and HIM. And giving out of a place of emptiness (or even a quarter of a tank!) can be exhausting! So glad you are here and filling up again :) Blessings and God’s amazing peace to you today! Hugs!

26. that necklace is beautiful!!!

Depends what the stress is for my stress buster… a lot of times, normal stress, I just need to run. I’m a horrible, SLOW runner, but its when I’m in the area of nature & just me & my thoughts, God speaks the most to me – easing up stress, giving me comfort.

Other times, a good cry is a good stress buster. Its like I’m fighting with myself & a cry gets it out & I realize most of the time, I’m not going to change anything with the stress alone. Its about action – whether that’s calmness or change.

• It’s ok to be a slow runner, Rebecca Jo! I think it’s wonderful that you run to help relieve stress. I run too, and I I call that running at your own pace. I run slowly myself! Running through the paths through the woods is just beautiful and calms our spirits!

27. Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader) says:

What stress busting techniques have worked for me in the past? I love putting on my worship/praise music and walking or cleaning house. Sometimes I will go shopping but that does not seem to work like it used to. Maybe that’s because I have come to realize it is Him that I find my peace so I know I need to put on the music. Lately, if I’m cleaning I go to my laptop and put KLOVE on and listen to it. One of the verses from Let.It.Go still brings me peace and that is: New Living Translation (©2007) “He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

28. I haven’t even finished read the post for today. Stephanie, I read your mind! As I was reading the questions about stress relievers and bible verses, I was thinking I should read the bible after I run. And then that is exactly what you go on to suggest doing! :) It’s so true that when I’m stressed I forget everything else and become focused on the stress. There are things I do to relax, run, go for a walk, yoga, read, just sit outside, etc. But it only helps in the short term. How much more would it help if I followed that up with God? This is such a good idea I’m definitely going to try this.

29. For my stress busting, I love to go walking on a mountain trail and be reminder what God has given us and just talk to the Lord. Just me and Him and just listen. It is so very relaxing to do this.
    My scripture verse that really helps is Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with song will I praise him.
    Indeed the Lord is my strength, without him I am nothing. I have this verse on a towel that hangs in my kitchen so I am reminded of this daily.

30. I don’t know about anyone else, but has stress kicked up a notch since we began this study? I am feeling overwhelmed to the point that it is hard to hold on at times during the day. What I do know is that ultimately I need the Word and Jesus alone. Finding relaxers that can get me to a place to dig into the Bible and spend time with him are good, but for me can sometimes be a distraction. I get to what feels like a comfortable place…too comfortable and ignore the next step. Or I can feel panicked to even take a relaxation step because I don’t feel like I have time to stop and pause. I am enjoying everyone’s comments…adds to the nourishing of my soul. Thank you sisters!

• AMEN mine has too, I knew satan was moving and trying to stress me out more since this study began I am relieved to see I am not the only one. I almost had an anxiety attack last week one day, I could feel the symptoms coming on, and I have not had one of those in 7 years. I felt do defeated that day and had this horrible darkness around me. But praise God He brought me through and the light is back!!!

• That happened to me this past Sunday morning. It was terrible and I kept praying the verse in Psalm 9 for God to be my stronghold. Went on to church and it eventually went away..

• Yes you are right as soon as I started I could feel my face getting red and I thought reading about all this stress is stressing me out… LOL!!! But hang in there because God is using this to get our attention!!! Sometimes it might get worse before it gets better. I just know this study is led by our heavenly Father and He is showing us what we need through these called women of God. I pray that all your circumstances you see Jesus in them each sweet sister!

Love
      Vanessa

31. I love on page 66 the sentence that says, ” I want to help you step out of your stress zone and into the faith zone where you really belong and where peace flows like a river.”

I’m in a very high pressuring career, where they have us setting very high goals and talk all the time about our dreams and reaching for our dreams. Well for stress I walk or run; the whole time I’m at the park I talk to God about everything and then I listen. Yesterday after a very high pressuring conference call about working toward our dreams, I was talking to God and saying I feel so much pressure here I feel like there is a bottle top on my head and it might pop off any minute. All of a sudden as I listened I could hear these words in my heart. You are living your dream, you are a child of mine and that is what a real dream is. You are living your dream right now walking at this park breathing and living out your life with Me is living your dream. Don’t get so caught up in trying to strive for your dream that you forget your life is already so blessed.

Another line on the same page reads. “Even though swimming against the current takes more effort and dedication than following the crowd, it will always pay off in the long run.”

God is so good to guide us when He sees us following something that can cause much stress!!! Needless to say the bottle cap blow off feeling I was going through turned into peace like a river. I ended up sleeping 10 hours yesterday and trust me I have not been sleeping too well so that in itself was God’s rest to my soul.

love you all
    Vanessa

• Stephanie W. says:

Vanessa, the quote from page 66 hit me too! I actually used it in our small group last night. I want to be in that faith zone! High pressure jobs are far too many in today’s world…but it’s good that you are able to walk & pray as part of your stress busters. Thank you for sharing your conversation with God. We are living the dream already. I love that! What a way to put things into perspective! Thanks!

32. I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since high school. My mother even signed me up for stress management as a senior in high school. I guess it started from an early age, and seemed almost heredity because I saw how stress got to those around me. Though there are better and worse periods. This book is helping me so much more than the “secular” books that I have read on managing stress. One thing that has worked for me lately is when I get over whelmed is to think/sing the line from the Big Daddy Weave song “I am Redeemed”. The line says: Stop fighting a fight that’s already been won. It reminds me that my small “stressful” battle is not mine to fight alone.

• My daughter who is 19 has struggled with anxiety since she was a freshman in highschool – I couldnt get her to do the study with me but I am planning to share the book (with all of my underlinings in it) with her when I am done. I hope she can find some lifelong help within it!

• Praying that you finally find the peace that has been gone for so long. That He would comfort you and strengthen you as you go through this. I love that part of Redeemed as well! 😉

33. Kimberly says:

I can relate to being the green monster at times too, but I also feel that fire is coming out my eyes and my children see that. I just want to return to the nurturing mom that I was when they were little. My mindset has changed somehow. Being recently diagnosed with PTSD, my family understands why I act like I do. However, that is no excuse to act like a raving lunatic. I know that God is there for me cause in 8 months I attempted suicide 2 times. He is not done with me yet and has carried me through the dark times. God Bless you ladies and Im ready for Chapter 3. I am not by myself and I feel God’s presence in this journey.

34. I have a big goal for this study. I am so fearful (kind of like Piglet, in Winnie the Pooh) Oh Dear, so I’ve always been drawn to this scripture

Proverbs 31:25 She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future.

I ‘d love for God to help me get to the place where I could laugh at the future rather than filled with constant dread.

One of my stress busting techniques is to play a game on the Ipad that occupies my mind like Boggle or Suduko, quick timed games work best for me so I must focus on something else.

• I am praying that God helps you get to that point as well. Reminds me of Joshua 1:9 too.

• TJ Conner says:

Marie:
        You are not alone as I too fear the future. The expectations I hold for myself are very high and admitting I fear the future absolutely makes me sick with disappointment in myself. At the same time I cringe as I remember that I need to give myself a break- seriously! God made me and I am not supposed to be perfect. I’ve been trying to figure out what is it about the future that I am afraid will happen. Maybe narrowing it down will help me ask for help with it. Course I only admitted this fear to myself last week during this study.
        Proverbs 31:25 is a great scripture. Thank you- I’ll have to add this one to my screen saver. When I pray and ask God to help me conquer this fear like he conquered the grave, I’ll pray for you too. We can beat this because God is with us! Yea! Keep steppin’ in faith sister.

• Thanks TJ for the prayers. I’ll pray for you too! Not sure what makes us so afraid but God is big enough to help us with this. Today has been filled with major anxiety for me as my college-aged son questions faith and God. Got to believe God has a plan!

35. Kimberly says:

I forgot- I clean house- turn on some good contemporary christian music and it makes me feel good. Gonna do this today- Lord knows my house needs it. LOL
    :-)

36. My stress releasers are going to the beach and reading a book. Or having coffee with my friends. I got to do the second last night. It was just what I needed! thankful for friends and this bible study! Blessings :-)

37. Strees busting techniques I have worked for me are: relaxation music, read and walking. Read Psalm 28:7. All I want to see is the light at the end of the tunnel so I can be back to my normal activities and leave my axieties and depression away.

38. My stress busters:
    clean – don’t know why but it helps unclutter my mind
    gardening – love to be outside with nature
    walking or running – get those endorphins flowing

My favorite stress busting verse:

Mathew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

39. Julie Gardner says:

I have lots of unhealthy coping techniques, but one I am trying to consistently practice is putting on the mind of Christ each day and putting on the Armor of God. So far I can say it happens definitely 2x a week.
    When I start ,y day off with God I have more strength to handle the daily battles and I am reminded to turn to God.

40. Jodi OBS leader says:

I have learned to take a deep breath and wait to respond. My 7 year old can bush my buttons and if I respond right away, it won’t be pretty. If I take a moment to breath an ask God to help me, it ends up better. It’s not always easy, but it always necessary. I pray that I will remember to go to God first and use other methods last, not the other way around

41. Christine says:

Count me in as another one who loves to go for long walks. It really is therapeutic! The weather hasn’t been so “spring like” here in NY lately and I haven’t been able to walk as much as I’d like. I definitely need more than just walks to help deal with stress though.

Question #3: One unhealthy habit I have formed over the past year in dealing with stress is turning to food. The temporary satisfaction of something sugary or fried feels so good in the moment, but always leads to more guilt and stress after… and more weight! I keep trying to turn to God instead of food but the more I fail at it, the more discouraged I get or hopeful that things will ever change.

42. The verses that help me the most, are the very first ones I ever memorized:

Philippians 4:6-7~
    6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (NKJV)

I have to say these to myself many times a day.

43. I definitely want to try the Progressive Relaxation. What a great idea. Hopefully I can find a quiet place for a while to try it out! There have been times when I never thought I would ever feel stress free. And you always feel like no one else understands what you are feeling.
    Doing this study with a friend helps both of us because we talk about things that bother us and it gets it off our chests and helps us be accountable to each and to God. Reminders from each other to turn to the Lord help keep us on track:)

44. Jada Smith says:

I’ve tried many things but just need daily renewal and quiet time with God! :)

45. Lisa L-B says:

Stress Busting techniques that have worked with me in the past is meditation, a cup of coffee or tea and my bible. Scripture that has helped me before is one of our stress busting scriptures, Jerimiah 29:11. I think it is the end of the verse that always helped me..a future and a hope. Knowing that God promised us both has always been a comfort.

46. I love reading all the comments….how insightful!!! As for me….I have to agree with most of you….i’m a cleaner!!! I do have a torn rotator cuff right now so i’m finding new ways to de-stress. I’m a huge fan of Big Daddy Weave and I love to crank the music up while cleaning. I play the song “Redeemed” over and over again. It really helps me.
    :-)

47. One scripture passage I refer to time and again during stress about $$ is Matthew 6:20-21 … all about where we store our treasure!

48. Phil 4:6,7 do not be anxious about anything, but with everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus!
    I’m so thankful for God’s word during times of stress. I sometimes wait too long to run to Him…working on being quicker!

49. “Stress reduction techniques will never replace the peace that comes only from the Lord…but they can be very helpful in getting us to a place where we are ready to receive God’s Truth and healing.” This is the comment that resonated with me today. I’ve been thinking about how to use different things to reduce stress and yet not rely on them as the goal- to realize that they are just a means to get us to the place we need to be so we can hear God. Thanks for articulating that idea so well. One of my favorite verses in the midst of anxiety is also Philippians 4:6-7 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

50. Matthew 11:28-30
    Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

God is so amazing. I woke up and this was the verse on my phone. Over the past few years I have not been walking as I should. I have allowed stress to rule and dictate what I should be doing. I even justified it when questioned or cornered.

Our heavenly father has always been the answer. Other things I have found help bring me to the place where I am ready to listen (not talk to justify) are:
    Singing Praise music as loud as I can (windows up or down:),
    Exercise,
    Read,
    Cook,
    garden,
    sit on my patio and look over the lake.

Do I always do these things? No, but thank you Jesus he has not given up on me. He really loves us like a father.