Apr 23

SLL Week 3, Day 2 ~ Chapter 3

SLL Week 3 Pin Pic Isaiah 30-15

Feel free to share, pin, or copy the graphic above. You can find it on our Pinterest page. If you can’t see the graphic for our Reflection Verse, Isaiah 30:15, click here to view it directly on the OBS blog.

We are off to a great start to Week 3 of our Stressed-Less Living Online Bible Study! I’m Stephanie Clayton, and I’m so excited to be your Bible study leader this week! Let’s continue where we left off…

This week we will be reading Chapter 3, The Silent Killer. I loved reading your comments from the Overview and Day 1 post. It seems we all know why stress is a silent killer. We know that stress can harm us physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. What we don’t know is how to stop stressing!

I love what Courtney shared in the comment section:

“Stress will take the joy out of your life and make you the most unpopular girl in your circle! When we are stressed, we tend to let the world know what we’re stressed about. We want those who we are confiding in to tell us what to do. We forget our Heavenly Father is waiting for us to cry and be vulnerable to him. Plus, he has an awesome life and stress manual for to follow… Our Bibles! I am the first to admit that I forget all these things when stress comes over me.”

True that girlfriend!!!! We all have stress reduction strategies tucked away in our minds…stress busting scriptures highlighted in our Bibles…God’s truth written on our hearts…but in the moment…it all seems to disappear! I watched the movie The Avengers this weekend and I couldn’t help but identify with the Incredible Hulk! When I get stressed, I bust out of everything I know…stress takes over me like a massive ugly green monster…and I end up hurting people and things I never meant to hurt…including myself!

As we read Chapter 3 there are a few things I want us to keep in mind so that we can learn to battle the stress monster!

1. What stress busting techniques have worked for you in the past? Examples: Progressive Relaxation, stretching, exercising, doing something you enjoy,   spending time with friends, taking a hot bath, drinking a cup of hot tea…etc…
  2. What scriptures and Biblical truths have you found particularly helpful?
  3. How can you use these things to help you in the moment before you turn into the crazed green stress monster?

For me…I am going to choose to use the relaxation techniques I enjoy (taking a hot bath, exercising, progressive relaxation, or a cup of hot tea) to get me to a place where I can focus on God’s Word and spend time communicating with Him. Stress reduction techniques will never replace the peace that comes only from the Lord…but they can be very helpful in getting us to a place where we are ready to receive God’s Truth and healing.

Take time to answer the questions in the back of the Chapter…they will guide you in understanding what stress management strategies have worked and haven’t worked for you personally.

In the comment section you can choose to answer one of the questions in the back of the book from Chapter 3, or you can choose to answer the questions I posted above. If you are reading this post via email, click here to comment!

And as Melissa mentioned a few days ago, our give-away this week is beautiful jewelry! YES please! This week we are giving away a custom designed P31 OBS Necklace donated by The Rusted Chain! Isn’t it gorgeous!!! Every time you comment throughout the week you will be entered to win! So let’s get to studying and attacking that silent killer!

Necklace P31 OBS

To read She Left a Legacy of Hope, click here.

The Week 3 Overview and Day 1 you can be accessed here.

Comments

1. I use medication for my panic attacks and that relieves the attacks but only temporarily. I listen to christian music at work and in the car. I used to walk each night but can’t seem to find the time to walk anymore and my stress level is out of control. I can tell you that this bible study, the first one I have ever done is truly touching me in a positive way. I have been reciting and reading scripture. Learning how to be still, (with this I have a long way to go) and I am working hard on letting go of the things that I have learned I cannot control and am putting them at the foot of the cross and leaving them there. This has been huge for me. I have felt a peace over the two last days that I have not felt in years. I am learning to breath and stop and think and turn to God before I react to stressful situations or begin to worry about something that is going to push me over the edge. Romans 12:12 spoke to me. ” Rejoice in hope, be patient in affliction, be persistent in prayer” All the verses have spoken to me. I am so thankful for this study
    And am feeling myself getting a little stronger and confident and worrying less. It has given me hope that maybe I can overcome the stress that is taking a toll on my health, my spirit and my soul. Praise God. Isn’t He amazing!

• Mary G. (OBS Group Leader) says:

Lori that is so encouraging to hear! I pray God continues to use his word and this study to bring more peace to your life!!

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 NIV)

• Lori,

I suffered from panic and anxiety for years with no meds, imagine that. I did not know how serious the condition was and I felt weak that I needed meds. While I was battling that I devoured my bible and strengthened my faith. On sooo many occasions the enemy tried to literally steal my sanity, and even though I was weak, the WORD of God on the inside really fought for me. Today I’m soooo much better, have a good medicine regimen and I know without a shadow of a doubt Gods word saved me. Sometimes I feel so “good” I ALMOST forget who I owe the joy too, but as soon as I notice it I repent and get back to arming myself with His word. I remind myself that I have to stay hungry for Him. God bless you, stay encouraged, He is faithful.

2. Dora Olson says:

When I feel stressed its often when Im in a situation I cant escape (in my classroom, with a room full of teenage students, at home with my 3 yr old, by myself) so I have had to find methods to de-stress while around others. I will often pull out my bible verse I am carrying in my pocket to remind myself of who is really in control and in charge. I will quietly speak in tongues under my breath, or funny enough, I will get up and start cleaning! If I am at work that helps a lot! I can just move away from my students for a bit and focus on something else. Once I get my hands busy then I tend to calm a bit.
    If I do get a chance to be alone then that, in and of itself, is de-stressing…. no matter what Im doing. Just that time alone….. ahhhhhh….. those times are so few and far between, they really are precious!

3. Tracey Knafel says:

My biggest unhealthy coping mechanism is smoking. Yes, yes, I know, I know. Prayers are definitely welcome to help me kick this. I used to work out every day but that has become a thing of the past and I really want to get back into the daily routine. It did make me feel better.

One of my favorite scriptures has always been Jeremiah 29:11. Recently I went back and read verses 10-14 and I love it even more now. Stress is my Babylon and if I seek God’s will (not mine) with ALL my heart I will find Him and He will return me from my captivity.

• Debbie W. (OBS Group Leader) says:

Praying with you Tracey that you can quit smoking. I know it’s hard. I watched my Mom quit and my dad try – but know you can do it if my Mom did after about 30 years.

• Tracey, something that has helped me has been replacing a bad habit with a good one. God blessed me with a stationary bike I ride in the morning and have my quiet time on there. God will help you with a plan that can work for you! He is a very present help when we need Him most! <3

• Phyllis Wiley says:

Tracey,
      I was able to kick it after smoking for 30 years! You won’t believe the difference it will make in your life! My tool? I just pictured it as a battle between Satan and I – knowing that I had God on my side we could do this! One day at a time! If you can find a good Celebrate Recovery group close by – I am sure that they can help you! Praying for you to win this battle!
      I was so glad to have my sense of taste and smell back! Springtime is now amazing! And I love the scent of fall! Let me know when you are ready and I will be glad to be your prayer/accountability partner!

• Sondra Ratliff says:

Phyllis, I to am a Celebrate Recovery sister. Christ is the answer, no matter the question!

4. First of all I want to say that the jewelry is so cute and props to the 31 ladies for coming up with yet another great prize AND connecting us with a great business.

Okay……

1. Stress busting techniques I have used that have worked are regular exercise early in the day, reading for enjoyment (with warm beverage at hand), baths at the end of the day, leaving the house to do something personal, fun time to chat it up with a girlfriend since this is not something I get to do very often…. and prayer, of course

2. Scriptures and biblical truths I have found helpful are:

“The Joy of the Lord is my strength.” – Nehemiah 8:10

“God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and of love and a SOUND MIND.” – 2 Timothy 1:7

“Not by might, not by power but by my Spirit says the Lord.” – Zechariah 4:6

“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” – Deuteronomy 31:6

“The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear?” – Psalm 27:1

“I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging for bread.” – Psalm 37:25

“What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
    we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
    No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:31-39

3. What can I do to keep the stress monster at bay this week? – meditate on scripture while I’m on the treadmill!!!

5. My work is my biggest stressor. In the past my method of coping with stress was to stress eat – not a healthy coping mechanism! Since starting this bible study I have started putting the weekly memory verse on note cards and I keep one on my desk in my office. I read it frequently throughout the day and try to reflect on it for a few minutes each time I read it. It helps me bring my focus back to the relationship I am building with the Lord and reminds me to turn my stressors over to Him.

• Debbie W. (OBS Group Leader) says:

Bobbi I know how stressful work can be. I retired in 2011 but when I worked I had things written on my board in my office, verses on my file cabinets and beside my mouse pad. It does make a difference. So glad you shared!

6. I find being around others help my stress. I love children so when they are aroun I can releive my stres by playing dolls or driving trucks. I worked at day care for a while I must find a nother daycare job. I felt better than ever just bing with Gods great gift

7. for me it’s walking….mom always said just take a walk. But when you have little children you may not be able to just take off and walk. So… I suggest, deep breathing, and taking time out to read scripture.

8. Laughter, it always feels good to laugh. I finished reading the chapter for this week. My stage in the parenting journey is 12 1/2 year twins. Many times I have to find the humor in situations, otherwise I will collapse for being overwhelmed. I believe God blessed us with humor and laughter.

9. For me taking a deep breath works wonders. Also, going for a walk or calling
    a christian sister who can talk and pray with me.

10. Stress techniques I started doing is exercise, spend quiet time by myself meditating and talking to God. Also take time out for a little nap.

Scriptures that help:
    Psalm 23 the whole chapter. I love this chapter when I read it, I feel so refreshed. It comforts me and encourage me lot.

Psalm 37:3-8, 11 this also ministers to me especially.

Psalm 71: 1-3, 5-7

I can use these scriptures and also meditating, while spending time talking to God about things before I go off the edge. I truly see God move doing it, just yesterday I had a situation and I decided to send a long text, then the Holy Spirit said delete it and I automatically deleted it. Today I heard God stepped in and worked it out. I sat for a moment and said Thank you father for showing me, if I listen to the Holy Spirit and allow you to handle my cares, I will get victory in every situation. My God is awesome.

11. Treasure says:

Parental exhaustion plus depression plus stress equal insanity
    Especially when I know God is the answer!
    Why is it so hard to focus?

• Debbie W. (OBS Group Leader) says:

Just know Treasure from me who has grown children, this too shall be over soooo soon. When you look back it was a flash. Make the moments matter – you won’t regret it. Know it is hard some days, but you’ll be missing these times in a few years. I promise! Savor it!

12. You know as I go thru this study (and it’s so wonderful by the way) it is shedding light. I’ve tried all the typical things to TRY to reduce stress…massage therapy is my fav, but I also like yoga, or at least I did before I got to the level of being so stressed out it finally took over my body in the form of chronic pain to the point that I could barely walk at times. So yes, I TOTALLY get what stress does to us physically. Mentally too…not fun. Does make you the unpopular girl in the office.

What I have found helps, is when I can either get on my treadmill or walk outside by myself, I talk to God and I just pour it all out. I think about how very good God is and how much He has blessed me and I like to thank Him for small pleasures like the hummingbirds I enjoy so much, or a beautiful sunset.

A favorite verse for me is from John 16:32-33 (NIV):

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Peace,
    Steph

• Sheryl k says:

Love your stress “busters”!i too think that God has placed many peaceful moments and things in his creation to bring us closer to Him! Wish we could go for a walk and enjoy them together!

13. My main goal through this study is to find peace through the Lord and to stop looking for that peace and answers through my friends/family. I know my stress has been a huge factor in my health concerns, just not knowing where to go to learn how to handle all that has been thrown at me the past few years. Thank you for this study!

14. Hello, Not sure if this is where I post this but I still haven’t received my book and I’m wondering if there is gonna be a link 4 chapter 3?

15. My job is my biggest stressor. I worry way too much. I enjoy walking to clear my head in the afternoons and get fresh air. I am loving this study because it is helping me to realize that I am not alone. We as women deal with so much each day in different ways, but we are all looking for the same thing..God’s peace in the midst of the storms. One Bible scripture that I love is Lamentations 3:22-23.. Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I love knowing that each day is a new gift from God and he loves us oh so much and he wants to help us if we will only let him.

16. Taking a deep breath always helps me! Or 50 deep breathes depending on the day!!! :-) Laughing is so good for me too!

17. Lee Roberts says:

I like getting up before anybody knows I’m up and have my quiet time before facing lifes headaches or problems of the day. I usually have a much better day that way. Also listening to praise and worship in the car when I have things to do helps releave my stress. The other thing that helps my stress is our dogs. They are so sweet and such good natured animals that being around them helps in some special way.

18. Deep breaths and looking at what is causing me stress from the prospective of others helps me to see if I am reading into things or over reacting – helps me to deal with stress. If it is something I can change I will work on changing it, if it is not, I ask God for his help to put things in perspective. My biggest go it is “turn it over to God”.
    The part of chapter three that spoke to me was parenting teenagers. I have only one child, a boy, and I recently had to address a very difficult issue with him in regards to drugs. My husband and I calmly sat down with him and talked about making the right choices, both in his actions and chosing friends, explained to him how getting involved in illegal activities can be financially devastating to us, as parents, and how it could change his life opportunities in a nano second. We did not yell or ground him but told him we were disappointed and we know that he is capable of making the right decisions. I think taking that approach helped, as our son was not defensive, and he seemed to be processing the magnitude of the conversation. I thank God for guiding my husband and through that stressful and difficult conversation.

19. Amy Smith says:

My first time posting here, but I have been following along for 3 weeks and living
    It. This has been the best thing I have done for myself in a long
    Time. It feels good to read the study, take notes, pray, and follow along. I have many stress busting techniques that I have been using over the past few months, but the best one is always to find quiet time and read my bible and pray. I feel is presence and his army of angels surrounding and protecting me. It has been an amazing journey and this bible study came along at the perfect
    Time for me. Lovin it and living it!!

20. Melissa S. says:

My biggest ‘stress buster’ is worship. I listen to only worship music in my car because it keeps me in the right frame of mind as I’m going about my day. And I have my ‘Worship Faves’ YouTube playlist that I can put on when I’m at home. For each song, I make sure I choose a video that is shot during live worship, so I can feel like I’m right there and in the company of others while worshipping. (Most of the time I’m at Hillsong with Brooke Frasier and Darlene Zschech. :) )

21. Sherri J says:

If I’m around others I try subtle deep breathing so that no one knows…at home…I try to find a few minutes just for myself.

I have lots of Bible Verses that I concentrate on when I’m stressed but the following makes me feel protected in God’s Hands:
    Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

22. Melissa Hughes says:

I too have anxiety medication that I use specifically when I travel, but when things have gotten completely out of control, I have taken them during those times as well. I am so thank full that I have been praying about this for years and I finally can say that the last 3 times I have had to travel, I did it without medication, without several stops to the bathroom, and without all the anxiety and stress it causes me and my family! Praise God for his healing in this area of my life!!! I have to admit, I had a bit of an anxious moment last week with the anticipation of our system pilot testing of our new software that is being impletmented in June. I am in IT so the last few weeks have been completely nuts! God was faithful to me over the weekend…he gave me room to refill my cup with things that I love to do…clean my house, spend quality time with my kids, and spend quality time with God…because of that, this week I have felt at peace through our testing at work. I did find that I started to spout because I was feeding off of a coworkers negative attitude for about 20 seconds but then I just stopped myself and said “NO! I choose not to go down that road! I am not that person any longer! God gave me peace and I choose to stay in it!” I am so thankful I did that!!! Thank you God for loving me enough to dwell in my heart and for giving me your peace!!!

Girls, I cannot tell you how refreshing this study has been for me. My life verse is Jeremiah 29:11. When I read that in this week’s chapter I was so overwhelmed with confirmation that this is what I am supposed to be doing. I chose to do this study on my own because my group had life things. I am so glad I stepped out in faith and continued my walk with God. I am so glad I am digging into this relationship and making Him a priority in my life!!!

Thank you for all you do to keep us in His light :)
    Love,
    Melissa Hughes

• It is so easy to feed off others negativity, especially in the work place! I too have been trying to stop myself from going down that road!! It makes such a difference to just stop myself and ask if it is right, lovely, pure, admirable thought, as Philipians 4:8 says, and if it isnt then I just try to keep my mouth shut and push the thought out of my mind!

23. Last May I resigned from my teaching job-reluctantly. Teaching in Texas is HORRIBLE! The state mandated testing, specific curriculum guidelines, children who are our of control and the every day stresses of life can make life miserable. I took the bold step and left. My heart is for teaching but I couldn’t take the stress physically, mentally and emotionally. My friends and family said I had become a different person. I started drinking beer and I don’t even like to drink! :) With the state of the economy the way it is all over, I felt horrible quitting but I know I would be making myself worse than I already was if I didn’t. So, I am slowly coming back to myself. I am in counseling to try and get back some joy in my life, be a good mom, wife, sister and daughter. Thanks for this study!

24. Andrea Riggio says:

I have a combination of healthy and unhealthy ways to distress. Exercise, eating, massage, reading, tv. I know God wants me to call to him for help de-stressing so I will do that this week. I am in school and work full time and think that I need to remember God called me to both of these and He will never leave me.

25. I am putting God first!!!!!!What this will do for be is better than anything else I can do to deal with stress. In the past I have done other things such as shopping therapy.Any problems I have I pray for God’s guidance and turn them over to God.I SEND PRAYERS AND LOVE TO ALL MY CHRISTIAN SISTERS!!!!!!!

26. Michelle says:

I used to lash out. The nice stress relievers only came after the storm. My crazed green stress monster was ready to show up and show out at any given moment. “Don’t mess with me” was her favorite thing to say. BUT now that I have renewed my spirit and have taken hold of the promises God has given to all of us I simply pray. Wherever I am at….I pray. All other stress relievers are temporary. Prayer and God and connecting from the heart is forever.

27. I have been taking a long HOT bath a couple days a week with Herbs to help me calm down and be able to sleep well and to help me with my tiredness or my aches and pains. I have been doing a Bible Series on The Message of Jesus, and yesterday and I just had to share what was discussed:)
    One thing we should know about Jesus, he wants to bless us. He wants to touch us and he wants to turn around circumstances in our lives. Sometimes people pray, not sure if God really wants to help us! God wants to help to help us always. Everybody in the Bible that went to Jesus for a need, at the end of the day, he was always willing to to help. We also have to have a willing heart to reach out to him in all times. Often times people ask, why…I am having a hard time getting an answer to my prayers??
    A) Unbelief: We don’t always really believe in Faith, Faith is what gets God’s attention, Without Faith it is impossible to please God.
    B) Lack of Faith will Hinder: How do I get more Faith in me? The Bible said, Faith comes from hearing and hearing from the word of God. We need to read the Bible more and get it inside of us.
    C) Read the Bible: We get to be a successful Christian on purpose. We pray on purpose, we read the Bible on purpose, we try to build up our Faith on purpose, none of this just happens automatically, it has to be intentional.
    D) Sometimes God is using the “problems” to bring about his glory: Everybody wants a miracle, but nobody wants to need a “miracle”. We get into a place where we need a miracle often times we get into a situation where we need God and our first thoughts are to cry/freak out/pitch a fit, wa wa wa…God has left me we say!!! This is not a place of Faith! Sometimes it happens to us because God wants us to have some Faith and just trust him. Miracles gets peoples attention! When miracles happen in our lives because Jesus Christ is in our life, and we are trusting in him!
    E) Sometimes God is testing our Faith: We have to just stand up and follow God, sometimes we will get tested! It is how we really see what is on the inside of us. Sometimes to get to the real God, we have to be tested. God is always faithful and we must always trust in him.
    We have got to get this, we have to understand the power of God comes from him! Comes from his word, comes from his promises. If we will be intentional, on purpose, it will change our lives:)
    God has been providing all the tools for me to grown and learn and I am just amazed at how he is working in my life and yes my faith falter’s some but it is when I completely trust in God that is when life changes/stress is at it’s lowest point in my life and miracles happen then! It is because I let go and LET GOD control all:)

Blessings,
    Rhonda

• Thank you for sharing that Rhonda!! Loved the insight!Letting Go and Letting God is the best thing to do for sure!!

28. The more I read the more I am blown away by the insight this book has for my life. I was a bit behind in my reading so this morning I finished up chapter 2 and chapter 3. I felt as if Tracie knew me personally (except for the parts about children, I don’t have any). It really has me thinking about my unhealthy habits I have made a normal part of my life. It is amazing how we adapt to stress and most times not even realize it. As I read through Tracie’s list of health issues directly related to stress I saw me! Most of those things I have dealt with since I was in middle school. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure when I was about 21 years old. I was in shock when they told me but I didn’t know what questions to ask and so I just accepted it as part of my life which only added more stress.

1) What stress busting techniques have worked for you in the past?
    When I saw this question I was dumb-founded for a moment. Stress busting? What was that?? But I thought about some times in my past and even now that i feel stressed-less and I think I came up with a few techniques that I need to use more often. One if swimming or just being in the water, walking, reading (this I do daily), and having coffee/tea with a friend is always great!

29. There’s been lots going on in my life for the past two weeks and I have been behind on my study. Today I feel I’m getting back on track and I can actually read Chapter 3 tonight when I get home. I spent my lunch hour in study of the verses for this week. I love the “take a break card”, I’m so doing that! Romans 12:12 is really sticking with me to “Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.” Keep praying I must do, it does give me the strength from the quietness & trust. Stress is the silent killer to me, of being the big destructive explosion that kills relationships. I need to rely on God for my inner peace and quit expecting others to change to make me happy. This study couldn’t have come into my life at a better time. I’m so thankful I found you.

30. Just started adult coloring a few weeks ago. Bought a book on Amazon called Therapy in Color. It is very detailed which requires attention and thus gets your mind busy. Dover Press makes adult colorimg books too. It has been great except that my right arm hurts from colored pencil overuse! I am on a 3 day coloring fast until arm tension goes away! FYI.. Prismsacolor makes awesome colored pencils. Treat yourself and color away your anxiety.

• Debbie

That sounds fun! I love to color. I may have to get me this. :)
      Thanks for sharing.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Debbie,
        Now that is awesome. I must give that a try next time I am stressed:-)

31. My stress release is I have started back to taking long walks in the woods and just sitting on a fallen log and listening and praying. Very very peaceful.

32. my stress busting techniques.. reading – going to another place in the land of fiction works wonders and laughter.

33. Elaina Willard says:

My stress busting technics include being scrap booking, painting, cross stitching, etc. but I have so much stress in my life, that I haven’t done any of those for a really long time.

I have taken up piano, and when I don’t flake – due to stress from work or mom’s health – I find that it has such a calming peaceful effect on me. I go into the room, and play so that I can release every ounce of emotion that I might be feeling. It gets me into the mind set to allow God to work with me.

34. Fadwa Morrison says:

Good afternoon, All.
    I hope that you are doing well and are having a Blessed Day—

1. What stress busting techniques have worked for you in the past?
    My response: Drinking a cup of hot tea, crocheting, stretching, sing, and read.

2. What scriptures and Biblical truths have you found particularly helpful?
    My response: John 3:16 is my favorite scripture and my church made a song to it years ago and when I get stressed I sing that song. :)
    I also like Matthew 5: 13-16 where God talks about the salt and the light making sure that we help people bringing them forth and then also showing them the way by lighting up the darkness so that they know where to go.

3. How can you use these things to help you in the moment before you turn into the crazed green stress monster?
    My response: I think remembering that God is in control and that the Battle isn’t mine but His would help me not to turn into the Green eyed monster. Many times I’m not thinking when I get upset so by learning through this class to take a breath, breathe for 100 seconds (yes, I said 100), and then respond/react will help me in the long run. Many times, I get so upset that it’s hard for me to calm down and when I do then I feel horrible for getting to that place because that’s not me.

Those are just my thoughts.

35. Love the Stress Busting. Scriptures.. They are all a help. The last one on Romans 12:12. Really speaks to me. For me to rejoice in hope and be patient in trouble
    And to keep on praying.. that is the key keep on praying ..
    Blessings to all…..:)

36. Things I do to relieve stress: listen to music, read, talk to friends, shop, hang out with my hubby, bubble bath… I like the idea of using one of these methods to get me to a place where I go to God. Like, don’t just take a bubble bath & be done with it. Take the bath to relax, and towards the end pray and/or read scripture. Two of my FAV verses to read are Romans 8:28, Job 42:10, and Psalm 126! I’d say these are my “go-to” verses, my life verses. Rest & time with God are so important!

37. I find a hot bubble bath at night while reading my stress-less living book helps me to relax. I’ve also started getting massages at least every other week. I like just sitting outside around the pool right after work and just looking at the sky and all of God’s creation all around me.

38. Well ladies. Just as I started this study I got an email from Oprah (I subscribe) with an offer for a free ebook from Dr.Phil. Thought nothing of it. Read the book, it was really good, it talks about life strategies etc. in the two weeks after I felt this sense of power, armed with the info from the book and how to “PLAY” the game of life. I found myself gossiping, being hateful and mean. I was actually being slick, imagine that. My spirit kept saying that’s not the way you should go. Go back to God. So I came back over to bible study. I read a few more chapters of our book an I realized that the enemy was literally trying to distract me. The strategies in Dr Phil’s book are perfect for those who are interested in the worlds way, but for those of us interested in God’s way, It’s simple, obey, trust, have faith and use His wisdom. I was lost but now I’m found. Totally irrelevant, but wanted to share:)

• So glad you shared this with us, I’ve always liked watching Dr. Phil but now that I am more in the Word I always wonder if his suggestions are in line w/what God would want us to do and I just havent felt so sure about some of his tips to people. I just so wish he would give them godly counsel b/c that is so what these people need in there lives. I like how you put it that Dr. Phil’s book if perfect for people interested in the worlds way. And I love how I have come to realize The Bible is the one true handbook for life we need!

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Rachael,
      Thank you for sharing that. We must put on the Armor of God to battle the enemy. I am so thankful God guided you that Dr. Phil’s book was a distraction of the world. Praise Him!!!!

39. Stress, stress, stress, I can still feel it now as the day is drawing to a close and I sit typing this in bed, my muscles sore from being clenched and my mind foggy from mental exhaustion. One thing I’ve found to be truly helpful in combating stress is mindful based meditation or present moment awareness where you really make a concentrated effort to observe everything going on now, from how your fingers and toes feel, to being aware of the blood pulsing throughout your body, to the colors and textures of objects around you. It really works because your mind is forced to shut out the stress inducing chatter. It’s a discipline though and can be very difficult to stay focused on as our minds naturally want to go off in a thousand different directions either dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Of course praying to God and meditating on his word is the best stress buster for me which the present moment awareness stuff helps enhance.

40. Lynn Graham says:

I picked Question # 3 in the back of chapter 3: what unhealthy habits or possibly harmful methods of coping with your stress have you developed overtime.
    Answer: I would use more medication than the doctor has prescribed. I mean a lot more.

41. I am so bummed that I do the worst things that I could do to Handle my stress. I blow up usually right where am and end up having to apologize to everyone around me. I do housework but everyone who is in te hues at te time wishes they weren’t with me or around me. The thing is that if a friend was in my home at the time I can control my stress, but I only blow up with family. I share my stress with friends fort hoping others will pray for me but I just realized I do not go before The Lord. I am so backwards. I really needed te study because the stress I see in myself was the exact same stress I watched my mom go through as a child and she ended up acquiring cancer. I don’t want o shorten my life. I find that home is where all my stress is. How can I make it a home instead of a negative atmosphere? I blame it on te instability of our lives in the military but we are suppose to be content where we are so tt is just a blame right? Oh my I am so disappointed in myself but joyful because I am learning so much about myself at the same time. WOW!!! Love this study. Thank you!!

42. Work is my best stressor, both my “regular day job” and doing the books for my husband’s business most evenings of the week. My fall back reaction is stress is to stress eat – to graze my way through stress. This isn’t very healthy! This year I joined the gym for the winter and have tried to get there 3 times a week to walk on a treadmill and join stretching classes. When it’s nice out, I absolutely love taking a walk, it’s gets me out of the house and into nature with God, helps me clear my mind, and is good for my body. It also is a time away where I can talk with God.

43. Stress has become such a part of my life. I have been guilty to allow that. I have devolped this crazy tatic to wait to the last miniute to do things thus adding more stress. However, looking back I’ve realized I have alway done that. From high school and still doing it. Need to come up with a plan and retrain my mind, retrain my habits and retrain this chaotic me.

44. The stress-busting techniques that have helped me with my anxiety issues are medication, exercise (burns off the anxiety), 4 count breathing, stopping the thought in my head from progressing to a picture and then a feeling, and most importantly reciting Scripture. There are three bible verses that help me the most right now. The first is from Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” The other verse is Isaiah 41:10 “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” The final verse is Matthew 28:11 from the Message, ” “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

These verses give me hope, encouragement, and the ability to push the anxious thoughts resulting in an attack, away. It helps center me, give me a breath and realize that God has control over the anxiety, not the other way around.
    (*As I wrote that last sentence, I initially had the word “I” instead of “God” and realized that it’s God who gives me the power to let my anxiety subside. Again, one of the things I am currently working on is trusting and believing Him to ease my anxiety and not relying on myself to do so. Actually caught in the act while writing this post!)

By focusing on these verses and also the personalized Isaiah 31:15 verse we did from Day 1, will be helpful when I feel the stress start to bubble up. Taking a break and escaping for a quiet moment is helpful, but at times is hard to do, especially with a 4 month old! Also, by telling my husband that I need a break and/or letting me take a nap is beneficial. Starting to recognize the triggers and heading them off with reciting these verses, taking breaks, or closing my eyes and breathing deeply helps, too. I am so thankful for God’s Word and how encouraging and healing it is!

45. The stress reducers that have helped me in the past are: 1. exercise, 2. listening to music, and 3. eating a chocolate treat. I find exercise especially helpful when my stress is accompanied with angry or upset feelings. The exertion I use during the exercise helps drain all that negative emotion away. Thank God!

46. Stephanie L says:

I take supplements to help my body deal with stress better by reducing my cortisol. I also make sure to not overschedule myself. I like a cup of tea and a warm bath.

47. Wow, I had no idea how stressed I was until I started this study! The questions this week really helped me to realize that a lot of the “coping methods” I rely on are not healthy and definitely not really that helpful! Finding time to spend in God’s Word can make all the difference when something stressful arises, so that is a definite takeaway I have this week. I also loved Tracie’s encouragement about parental stress-with a toddler that seems to be where a good majority of my stress lies these days. It’s so hard to persevere in so many things when it comes to parenting, but it’s what we need to do if we want our children to truly learn “the way he should go, so that when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6) PTL it is not up to us to do it on our own, but that instead he is there, ready and willing to help us, strengthen us, and encourage us.

48. I like to get massages every now and then. A hot shower helps me relax after a hard day. And scrapbooking is a weekend hobby that allows me to channel my stress into positive directions with creativity, fun, reminiscing, and express my love for my family and friends.

I often think of the scripture that says “I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.” I try to think about this verse whenever I encounter something stressful and know that God is with me, giving me strength to persevere through!

I think using relaxation strategies but more importantly, leaning on God and praying helps me to stay away from that breaking point by allowing that stress to flow out of my body before I feel myself want to explode. I can tell when my muscles start to get tight from stress (hence why I need a massage) and when I am about to just yell and fuss. But praying and talking to God gives me a sense of calm and peace so I dont take it out on someone I love by fussing and trying to pick an argument.

49. I would like to also add that I know some of my coping strategies like shopping and spending money or eating/snacking are definitely NOT healthy strategies! If I spent money every time I am stressed to just enjoy something new, I would be broke. If I ate every time I was stressed, I would be physically unhealthy. I usually do other things like work out, talk to loved ones, or take a walk, but have occassionally done those other things like shop and eat. But why isnt my first inclination to turn to God and ask for HIs help???? That should be the correct answer all the time!!

Trackbacks

1. […] loved Stephanie’s idea of using relaxation techniques to get us to place where we can focus on God.  For me that is […]