Apr 30

SLL Week 4, Day 2~Chapter 4

SLL Chapter 4 Graphic

Hey! It’s Jennifer Newsom, back for another day of this awesome study. Are you ready for change? Just the title of this chapter grabbed my attention. I scribbled so many notes in the book because I could see myself in so many situations that Tracie described–how about you? Right down to her call to quit work and stay home. You see, I got that same call almost four years ago. I fought it for almost a year. I won’t say that it was easy, in fact, for about five months it was almost more stressful than the job (RN in the Emergency Department). However, through this time, I have learned the value in:

Psalm 118:8~ it is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in people. (one of our Stress Busting Scriptures no less!)

God has a plan for our lives. The blessings that came from listening to and obeying Him, were far more than I ever could have hoped for or imagined. He didn’t have to, but He provided and showed up strong on our behalf.

Whatever He is asking you to do or to change during this study-please do it. See 1 Samuel 15:22 . He has your best interest at heart-He knows the future and He loves and cares for you. He isn’t being mean–He just loves you–see Jeremiah 31:3 –yeah, He loves you THAT much.

Maybe it’s not a call for you to stay home or change careers. Maybe He is calling you to find HIM and HIS peace wherever you are. You see, we can’t always ‘run’ from our problems. But whatever it is that He is laying on your heart to do or change, it is my prayer that during this study, He will use His words to speak peace and hope over you. Hope for change; hope for your future; hope for your relationships; and hope for your health. may He reach out to you wherever you are. I love the quote included in this chapter, “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”~Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 Corinthians 4:7  tells us that we walk by faith and not by sight.

Your turn to share:

• Read Chapter 4, Time for Change.
  • Do the reflection questions in the back of the chapter. (p.88-89). Question 4 is especially good-more Scripture searching and fear tackling verses.
  • Share with us your responses to the questions or tell us which Stress Busting Scripture(s) have impacted you the most. Return to the blog to comment.

Remember, each day you share, you are entered to win the prize of the week and the winner will be announced on Friday! I cannot wait to hear what the Lord has been speaking into your hearts! Praying for a blessed and peaceful week of study and asking Him to protect each one of us from the distractions that seem to hit when we try to spend time with Him.

Comments

1. Jennifer Wayt-Dunten says:

The verse from Chapter which means the most to me is Psalm 118:8~ it is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in people. Boy have I found that out the hard way, especially lately. Man (or woman) will let you down every time and they have for me recently. I wish I had found this verse sooner. It likely would have saved me from a lot of heartache.

2. Constance says:

Many times in my life have I felt the Lord lead me to do something but out of fear and many reasons against I didn’t. I have always regretted it later! Equally, if I obeyed even though there were many “ifs and buts”, I have always in retrospect seen His hand at work. All were relatively small things. Reading chapter 4 has led me to give myself fully to the Lord and say, Here I am, do with my and my life what you want. I could SO identify with all the fears that kept Tracie from obeying. I have a lot of fears. But I have resolved to trust the Lord and His ways. I really wonder why it is so hard to trust that His way always is the best.
    I have been putting off going to church for over a year. I know it will meet with some disapproval in my husband since he sees Sunday as our “family day” (even though we rarely do anything special) and is against religion – he just sees the negative, hypocritical things in church. Out of fear of what he will say when I tell him I want to attend Church regularly, I have not done it. Even my 12 year old daughter asks when we will go to church, she is so into God at the moment. So this is one change that I know I have to make in my life.

• Marie (Ree) says:

Lord Jesus! I lift up Constance and her Family to you,
      and pray that her desire ( and her daughter’s desire) to
      attend Church will NOT fall on deaf ears with her husband.
      I pray that you will open his heart to be agreeable without
      reservation or confrontation. I thank you in advance Father
      for the message that they will receive the day they attend
      and that it will be used to bring her husband to Christ and
      for Your Glory!! In Jesus Name, Amen.

3. The question I like on page 88 – 89. Was Question 4 = Tackling your fears and move forward in faith. I have to keep on repeating this until in is burned into my soul, spirit and mind.

4. The verse from the chapter that met the most to me was chapter 2 Timothy 1:7 – God gave us a spirit of power, of love, and of self – discipline. I really need to ask God to really help me with self discipline. To study the Bible and TRUST (Be discipline) to totally trust out Lord.

5. Also Question 5 – Have you ever wondered if there is more to life than what you are currently doing? This hit hard on me.

I have not heard of God’s plans or felt him guide me. I did leave a stressful job 24 years ago. I learned that money is not important at all. However, I have never felt him leading me . I ask for your prayers. I have been praying for guidance but nothing yet..

6. Working on the possibilities of change. I thought my husband would end up putting in 20 active duty years in the Army Reserve. But that does not seem to be God’s plan. God seems to be calling us to something different, but I can’t say for certain today what we are being called to. I need to God would have us do.

7. Crystal says:

One thing I could do to stress less is spend time in prayer before I encounter people so that my responses are godly. This isn’t always practical, ie., a stressful phone call. But starting my day with God is always a hood start.

8. uncteal says:

I finally said “yes” to doing a small group Bible study with some other girls. I worried that I wouldnt have the time to do it since I live a pretty good distance from our church or that I wouldnt have anything worth while to contribute. But after I started participating in the study, I realized I DO have good ideas and others in the group appreciate my contributions. This helps us to grow by sharing and relating, and I CAN be a part of that, and I should be a part of that! I had to make time to serve God in this way! And since then, I have really sought out other Bible studies because it is so fulfilling!! :)

9. Lori D. says:

I have been doing more and more verse mapping and it is amazing how it can lead you to different things. I began with the verse 2 Corinthians 4:7 tell us that we walk by faith and not sight. And I realized I still need help in giving things to God and in my mapping it let me to James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. It was another aha moment for me. It said to me that God will help me and lead me even with all my faults that make me feel unworthy, all I have to do is ask and it will be given. I truly believe this bible study and all of you are helping me to walk more in faith each day! Blessings, Lori

10. uncteal says:

One thing that can really eliminate some stress for me is not always feeling I have to have the approval of other people. I need to live my own life and some people will like me for it and some may not. But I ultimately am living for our one true God! So in order to reduce my stress, I need to not always analyze a situation 20,000 different ways wondering if everyone in my life will approve or like what I did or said!!!!

11. Katrina says:

One of my biggest fears is that I’m going to live out my entire life not ever having fully discoverd and lived out God’s will for my life. Because of this and due to making some poor choices in my past, I’ve become extremely indecisive. Making decisions stresses me out! Roman’s 12:2 has been a favorite of mine for awhile now. I knew somewhere in there, there was a treasure for me, and I knew it had something to do with needing to get rid of my old programmed thoughts and replace them with God’s truth. What I’ve discovered this week through this study is that in order to stop stressing so much, I need to stop focusing so much on trying to find God’s will and instead, get back to just focusing on Him, our relationship, his word – renewing my mind – THEN His will will become known to me and making decisions won’t be so difficult because I will be back in a place in my walk with Him in which I can clearly hear and discern His voice and truth in everything. Yeah!…now I just need to hold onto patience in the process. Not my strong point. I tend to want answers and want them yesturday. Sigh. Letting that go. I don’t need answers. God is the answer. I only need Him!

12. The two verses in Question 4 that resonated the most with me are 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” and Psalm 56:3-4, “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?” I need to memorize these verses and recite them every I start to feel anxious, especially while driving. For almost three years, I’ve been suffering with anxiety while driving; sometimes debilitating. Prior to that, my life was one giant ball of stress – husband doing two combat tours in Iraq, I was doing an arduous Master’s program, taking care of two young children, and watching my grandmother die of cancer. That level of stress became normal to me. Once that season of my life subsided and things seemed to be a bit calmer, my body and mind finally got the chance to process it all and as a result had daily panic attacks.

For almost three years I’ve been trying to control the symptoms and will myself better. I’ve cried out to the Lord daily to heal me, but the answer I would seem to get would say, “Trust me”. These two verses are helping me to do that. It’s comforting to know that God does not want me to fear, but to trust Him. I am working to do just that. I’ve held onto this stressful way of life for so long that I think I’m almost fearful of living any other way – crazy, I know. I so desperately want to experience God’s peace and I’m beginning to realize that in order to feel that, I need to trust Him. To leap with both feet, eyes closed, arms wide open, and trusting that He will catch me.