May 14

SLL Week 6, Day 2 ~ Chapter 6

Here is an awesome graphic to go along with our verse! SLL Week 6 Verse Graphic

Can’t see the picture above? Click here to view on Pinterest and Pin it!

I Can Do It Myself…or Can I?

Being a mother, I know all too well how eager children are to gain independence. We hear a child say, “I can to it myself” and we kind of laugh to ourselves, realizing that they can’t do everything by themselves. However, don’t you and I do the exact same thing from time to time? Think back, a situation arises in your life and you try and figure out how you can fix it. You try first one thing and then the next, mentally checking off every possible solution until you resort to the last thing that comes to mind, God and prayer.

This idea is not only seen in the “big” issues of life, but even in the small things, like our quiet time. When we do not make the time to spend with God, we are in essence saying that we can “do” life day to day without God’s help. In other words, “I’ve got this taken care of. I will let you know if something major comes up, God, and I need your assistance.”

You and I were not created to go it on our own. God longs for us to come to Him and ask for His help and guidance.

Before we go any further, I would like you to take a moment and just let the words of this song wash over you today.

If you can’t see the video above, click here to view directly on You Tube.

Tracie has broken this chapter down into 4 parts:

• The Lion Never Sleeps
  • Prepare for the Thief
  • Prepped for Battle
  • Rebel and Suffer the Consequences

After your have read all of Chapter 6, please complete the reflection questions on page 135-137. The reflection questions are a wonderful way of taking what you have learned in the chapter and begin to apply it to your life. I know that it takes time and effort, but our stress is not going to simply go away. You and I must not only read about what to do, but actually begin taking the steps to eliminate it. Trust me, it is worth it and God will bless your effort.

Your Turn to Share (in the comment section) ~

• Share your favorite quotes
  • Scripture
  • “Light bulb” moments from Chapter 6

*Your next assignment will not be until Friday, so you have 3 days to complete this. Be sure to come back Thursday for the Blog Hop.

***Click here to access the Week 6 Day 1 post

Comments

1. Phil 4:13 is my favorite verse and It has gotten me through some very tough times. I bought a wooden board from my church with this verse that is hanging near my kitchen she I can see it. The verse is short but yet so powerful.

2. kim in ma says:

Loved the song today. As I’m reading chapter 6, I absolutely go through the same anxiety when I return home. I find myself lately actually anticipating my walking into a crazy, hectic mess when I arrive home. In some ways, I am trying to prepare myself, so that I don’t explode when I’ve been at work all day & come home to the same chaos described in the book. I’m so glad I’m not alone in this! Although, I have been recently (like I said) anticipating the house not being in order when I arrive. I’ve also started asking God to help me not react to the mess. It is certainly helping! I am so blessed to be a part of this study. Even though I don’t have someone right here to keep me accountable, I feel accountable to the woman around the world doing this study. Keeping me on track. I am so enjoying all of it! God is good!
    I also love all the Bible verses throughout the book. My home is now filled with God’s word on little cards stuck all over the place! It is really enriching my life!

3. This chapter is hitting so close to home! When I read the Lion Sleeps section I felt like I was reading about myself. How many times have I done the exact. Same. Thing. And what is worse is realizing what I am doing or saying as it happens and I just can’t seem to stop it.

Lord, help me treat those around me with the same love and patience You show me. Help me get my pride out of the way so I can see them with more compassion and less need for perfection.

• Aubrey Carey says:

I haven’t finished the chapter, but I too often find myself doing something, saying something, that I know is wrong or hurtful, but I can’t seem to stop myself.
      I have found that when I quit trying to stop myself, and literally pause, out loud pray to God to help me, I can stop and resist or change my reaction. I can let God work:)

4. Jessica says:

This entire chapter was written about me. I have often struggled with both sides of pride. While at work, I often feel like I am the only one that can do it and the only one that really understands how all of the processes work together. I am often the go-to person. And I admit, that sometimes, I let my pride in my accomplishments at work inflate my ego a little. On the other hand, in many other areas of my life, I struggle with the other side of pride by feeling unworthy, questioning why anyone including God would want to spend time with me. I never thought of those feelings as pride and sheds an entirely new light on my struggles. There are so many pains from the past that I have buried and I know that I have to face them in order fully seek God. Most of the time I’d rather leave them buried and have a superficial relationship with God then face them and have a full, wonderful relationship with God. Since I’m avoiding the past, I avoid God and live my own life. It’s time to humble myself and stop trying to do it alone. I know that God will be there for me as I face the past and I know that the life that awaits me is far better than the life I have today. Now comes the hard part – putting action to the words.

5. Love the song! Thanks for sharing the great reminder! It’s been a long and hard couple of weeks. Could be a lot worse, just a lot going on and will continue for a while. I know God gives me renewed strength each day, I am so thankful for that!

6. Lori K (OBS Group Leader) says:

My favorite quote is: “Reality has proven that the minute we say, “Yes,” to God’s peace and God’s plans and begin to strive after a life focused on Him, the devil places a big red target on our chests and starts firing off shots at our hearts.”

I can attest to this reality, because I have had it happen on more than one occasion, especially during this study. Just need to keep reminding myself why it is happening. :-)

7. I just want to say you could not have picked a better song! Since the day that song came out a few years ago, I have clung to it with all my might. I listen to that song several times almost every single day. I have it on my Ipod so it’s at my disposal when needed. That song has gotten me through countless times of stress, depression, anxiety attacks. Thank you so much for sharing it.

The first 5 pages of this chapter spoke to me the most. John 15:4-5 really got my attention. “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For aprt from me you can do nothing.”

I need to rely more on Jesus. I need to give more of myself to Him, and trust in Him more. I don’t pray enough because I usually fall asleep while praying. I don’t sleep much at night at all. Then I catnap during the day to catch up. I just need to spend more one on one time with the Lord.

My son who is about to turn 10 has autism and we haven’t been to church in a year. All of the kids programs are loud and he can’t take it. I am trying (not with all my might) to find a church for us. I need to put more effort in to this. I’m sad that he’s missing out on Sunday school. So I need to put all I have into this.

8. “You are not created to go it on your own” I like that statement on Melissa’s blog today. It’s so easy to do that! I have to submit daily to God or my temptation is to go it on my own. Trusting God with my past, present and future and allowing him to use all parts of my life is key to avoiding stress! I know this! I don’t always act on it, but I know it.

9. Christine says:

This quote from Ch. 6 really stood out to me and spoke to my heart (on page 133), “But just because we stop looking for God does not mean He has taken a break from looking for us.” It’s very encouraging to me to be reminded that even when I’m lost in my own self-focused world, He hasn’t turned His back on me at all, but rather, He is there all along waiting for me to come back to Him.

10. Oh, Jamy, this right here? “You and I must not only read about what to do, but actually begin taking the steps to eliminate it.” Amen to that! I felt that right to my bones this morning.

Some of my favorite quotes have been in this chapter:
    “He sees deeper beauty and worth in us than what anyone else can see…” on pg. 132 is my absolute favorite of this entire book so far. It reminds me to just let Him take my hand and lead me. That’s the ONLY way to ensure that I’m going in the right direction and moving when I am meant to move.

The lightbulb, though,came after reading that. I have to continually OFFER my hand to God. He won’t snatch it from me unwillingly. I need to stop saying and do! (That’s why what you wrote this morning, Jamy, was so powerful to me!)

My favorite scripture is definitely Matthew 6:33. “But seek first his kingdom and righteousness and all of the things will be added to you.” This speaks powerfully of putting God FIRST. Not thinking about putting Him first, but actually doing the hard work of creating a new habit of doing it!

I am so fired up to change my rush, rush, rush into the day patterns of behavior. All because of a book about being Stressed-Less! It never ceases to amaze me how God will use a message to speak in myriad ways to different people.

Thank You, God, for this OBS Ministry. Thank you for the willing leadership within this ministry and for the nuggets of truth and encouragement that they provide us each day. Help me, today God, to not only hear these truths, but the let them become a part of who I am every day. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen!

11. I plan on doing a more in-depth study of the meaning of the word “abide.” Clearly this is a critical part to our relationship with Jesus, and is the key to having peace.

12. tiffany says:

“Seek ye first the kingdom of God” wow, what a flashback for me. Does anyone remember PSalty? (the big blue songbook) I remember singing that verse as a solo song for a church play as a child-it has always stuck in my mind. It just randomly pops into my head all the time. Problem is, I never really took in the meaning. I think God has been trying to give that verse to my heart for a long, long, time. I have really been struggling in business with always reacting to situations instead of letting God take control. I have made a decision this last week that the business is NOT my priority anymore. God and my family are my priority. God will provide or God will show me a better way-it doesnt matter. I have to use the concept of punching a clock and only working and thinking about work while I am there. God did not want my business to consume me-he wants to consume me. As Psalty says “seek ye first the kingdom of God and all his right-eo-us-ne–ess, and all these things will be added unto you A-le-lu-A-le-lu-ia!”

13. I am enjoying this OBS, and especially like Chapter 6 so far. I have studied John 15 on more than one occasion and have used it as a text for speaking engagements more than once. It has become a favorite chapter for me. In my studies, I learned that one of the original Greek meanings of the word “abide” is “to set up your tent”. This really changed the meaning of the word for me in the context of John 15. I started thinking of my time of abiding with Christ as a more permanent setting than just spending time with Him. I am not a camper, so if I go to all the trouble of “setting up my tent” (and it WOULD be trouble!!!) I am going to camp out there awhile. I am going to stay with Christ for as long as possible. To relate that to my faith journey; I am abiding with Christ, “setting up my tent with Christ” as a permanent site, walking with Him 24/7/365! It is not simply a visit each morning when I have my Quiet time, Bible study and prayer time; it is living my life out in Him each day; camping out with Him all day long. I am looking forward to finishing Chapter 6 and am anxiously expecting what else God will reveal through this OBS.
    Laura:-)

14. I really liked this chapter. I just finished reading it this afternoon. It couldn’t have been at a more appropriate time. I’ve been on a spiritual high for about 3 weeks now. I can feel the enemy starting to creep his way back to tear down all that God has built up. It was a nice reminder that we are just to remain in Christ and He will remain in me. I just need to be more on the lookout, and recognize when the evil one is attacking. Most of the time it is happening, and we don’t even know it.

15. Katrina says:

I had a few favorite quotes, but of those my favorite is, “A great test of faith is when we begin to look beyond ourselves and beyond pride and instead into the eyes of Christ, trusting that he is there and working, even when we can’t see him.” pg. 132 This gave me a beautiful mental picture.
    There were also many good scriptures referenced that I really liked, but the one that I loved was: “Come now, let’s settle this,’ says the Lord. ‘Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool.'” ~Isaiah 1:18
    The main “light bulb” moment I had when reading this chapter came on pg. 121 when I realized that the struggles I’m currently going through are the first in which I haven’t been able to fix somehow myself and that letting go of my pride and independence and admitting to the Lord that I need him is likely a big part of his plan in all of this. My pride has kept me from giving it all completely to him because in my mind it means admitting defeat somehow, and backing down or “losing” does not come naturally or easily for me. Sounds ridiculous, I know…Mathew 10:39 comes to mind – “Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” Thankfully, like Tracie says on pg. 122, “No matter how long we have been away, how much we have sinned, or how long we have tried to do life without God, he is always waiting to shower us with the love and peace that he promised.”

16. Lee Roberts says:

17. Lee Roberts says:

Philippians 4:13 is one of my favorite verses of the bible. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. But I just have to remember that and not try to do it on my own. I end up in such a mess in my life when I do that. God please keep reminding me of that every day. Your will God not mine. I really needed this topic because I am always trying to fix things in my life. I guess I think I am God’s little helper down here on earth and I have to tell myself that it isn’t true. God is large and in charge not Lee. It is His job not mine.

18. What I love about this chapter is it is jammed packed with Great Bible Verses…Tracie truely makes this book a study of God’s Word! And this song Strong Enough…wow – Envelops me – within the mighty arms of Jesus. I am not strong enough…But God can be strong enough for the both of us…I need to allow him!! I loved what I read this morning, on page 132 “He not only sees our circumstances, he considers them. He ponders them. He chooses where, how and when he is going to intervene.” I liked how she wrote this…made me grasp how wide, and deep and long the Love of God is for us! That he would CONSIDER, PONDER AND even potentially INTERVENE in our circumstances. What a mighty God we Serve…Thank you for bringing this OBS book to us…I am learning so much each day. God Bless You. “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength”. Philippians 4:13

19. Jessica says:

I am a natural problem solver. It is a gift from God that is not always used correctly. Since it’s in my nature, I naturally try to fix my own problems, which can lead to a mess. When I was writing down my prayer, admitting my pride to God (question 6), I told God if He was visibly in front of me and said “Hang on, I got this” or “do this and do that”, I’d have no problem waiting for a solution (or so I think). But, since I can’t see Him and not sure if He’s acting on my behalf, my problem solving ability kicks in. He immediately responded “you never sincerely asked me for help.” I was suddenly brought face to face with the meager prayer life I have and one the barriers to a fuller prayer life is feeling like I’m not important enough to get on God’s radar. There’s no sense is praying or asking, if He’s not listening, right? My first response was “Lord, help me get over myself.” This chapter has really stirred something in my spirit and is uncovering a lot of lies I have created throughout the years. I am looking forward to building a stronger, healthier relationship with God and living a life of total surrender to Him.

20. Rebecca says:

Phillipians 4:13 was my aha scripture from this chapter. Jeramiah 29:11 is my favorite scripture and my favorite quote is one I had on a calendar a long time ago in undergrad that said “sometimes we need to let go of the past to make room in our heart for new songs of joy.” I also feel that Christian music like the video you posted and Chris Tomlin songs like “Angel Armies” help too.

21. My biggest priority in my life right now is making the time to have my quiet time/reading/studying time with God. I am extremely guilty of missing out on this wonderful time in my day simply because I have errands to run in the morning which prevents me from taking that time, then the afternoon is crazy and I don’t like to turn on the light at night while my husband plays his games to study then. I am making progress but need to make the time everyday despite differing schedules day to day.

22. Jeanie Kelley says:

Okay my light bulb moment was when I read on page 131 where it says Do you every assume that people wouldn’t want to spend time with you or care about your opinions or your problems because you are not good enough or you probably don’t meet their standards of importance? This was a wake up call for me when I read this. I do this all the time. I have felt that no one wants to call me to visit or see if I am busy to go out and get lunch or a cup of coffee–this is the women in my church–sorry I had to put this in. Also I had this when I was in school. Not many friends at all. I feel like I am totally alone out here and this just hit the nail on the head.

• You are not alone in feeling this way. I’m the same way and I agree…lightbulb moment, as I have never thought of this as prideful. More like exact opposite but I can see it as pride as we are pridefully declaring that God’s handiwork (us) is flawed or less than. I don’t know about you but I am tired of feeling less than.

23. beautiful song! I tend to try to do things on my own and then break down asking Him to take over. He never shakes His finger at me.

24. My light bulb moment came when reading about pride. More specifically, reading how putting myself down, having difficulty accepting compliments, being vain, and thinking highly of myself (in various situations) all boil down to pride. I didn’t think that self-doubt was pride. I had no idea what I have been struggling with. Over the last few weeks, God seemed to be speaking to me that my internal chatter was about pride but I wasn’t facing it until I read Tracie’s words. Now it makes sense. In my research of what pride means, the antonym is humility. I believe that I was talking down to myself in order to obtain humility. That seems very silly now. I am going to take some time this weekend and look up Bible passages that speak of humility. I know God wants me to have a spirit of humility and detests pride. My desire is what God desires for me.

25. Adrienne says:

The main thing I take on by myself is raising my children. God blessed me with years of childcare experience, practicing on other’s children before I was blessed with my two. I often say, “I got this…”, then fail. Usually it’s the structure of homework and bible study. The spirit is willing, but then procrastination and a weak will set in. I’ve come to realize the devil is there (to prevent me from sharing the Word with my kids) and my pride/lazy spirit (ugh! homework…I’m tired…do I have to…?) My prayer request is for this, that this issue gets addressed and not ignored.