May 14

SLL Week 6, Day 2 ~ Chapter 6

Here is an awesome graphic to go along with our verse! SLL Week 6 Verse Graphic

Can’t see the picture above? Click here to view on Pinterest and Pin it!

I Can Do It Myself…or Can I?

Being a mother, I know all too well how eager children are to gain independence. We hear a child say, “I can to it myself” and we kind of laugh to ourselves, realizing that they can’t do everything by themselves. However, don’t you and I do the exact same thing from time to time? Think back, a situation arises in your life and you try and figure out how you can fix it. You try first one thing and then the next, mentally checking off every possible solution until you resort to the last thing that comes to mind, God and prayer.

This idea is not only seen in the “big” issues of life, but even in the small things, like our quiet time. When we do not make the time to spend with God, we are in essence saying that we can “do” life day to day without God’s help. In other words, “I’ve got this taken care of. I will let you know if something major comes up, God, and I need your assistance.”

You and I were not created to go it on our own. God longs for us to come to Him and ask for His help and guidance.

Before we go any further, I would like you to take a moment and just let the words of this song wash over you today.

If you can’t see the video above, click here to view directly on You Tube.

Tracie has broken this chapter down into 4 parts:

• The Lion Never Sleeps
  • Prepare for the Thief
  • Prepped for Battle
  • Rebel and Suffer the Consequences

After your have read all of Chapter 6, please complete the reflection questions on page 135-137. The reflection questions are a wonderful way of taking what you have learned in the chapter and begin to apply it to your life. I know that it takes time and effort, but our stress is not going to simply go away. You and I must not only read about what to do, but actually begin taking the steps to eliminate it. Trust me, it is worth it and God will bless your effort.

Your Turn to Share (in the comment section) ~

• Share your favorite quotes
  • Scripture
  • “Light bulb” moments from Chapter 6

*Your next assignment will not be until Friday, so you have 3 days to complete this. Be sure to come back Thursday for the Blog Hop.

***Click here to access the Week 6 Day 1 post

Comments

1. Janet F says:

I almost have this whole chapter unlined. But the section on the lion never sleeps spoke volumes to me. The second paragraph says that the minute we say Yes to God’s peace and God’s plans and begin to strive after a life focused on Him, the devil places a big red target on our chests and starts firing off shots at our hearts. I have found that sentence to be so true since I started this study and several other OBS’s.The spiritual warfare has become intense. I have been praying for the Lord to take control of my tongue and since this study my mouth spews out things I don’t want it to say, gossip, slander, negative words, criticism. I want victory over my my mouth!!! My son’s wife left him and they have two daughters 10 and 5. Things have gotten so hectic and stressful in my life since I started this study. It is like my stress level has tripled. John 10:10, The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. But he will not win, he is a defeated foe and I will praise God in the storm, because I know the Lord is my only refuge and strength in the trials of this life. Thank you Tracie for this book and Melissa and everyone involved in this OBS. I thank God for all of you and all the women who post on here that have great insight that I can learn from on how to be Stressed-Less!! Love to you all ♥
    Have a blessed day :)

• Janet F says:

oops it should be underlined not unlined :) Sorry it is early :)

• Janet F says:

~Ephesians 6:10-11 (NIV)
      Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

• Sondra Ratliff says:

Janet F.
        I am so encouraged by those ofd you who rise up early and give GOD the first place in your lives that HE so deserves. Thank you.

• Sondra… I have been trying to get up earlier also. I would like to sleep in before working my 2 jobs and starting my day but…. I feel that when I get myself out of bed earlier I can spend quite time with god and my day seems better. I can handle things easier.

• Janet,
      Thank you so much for being so open and honest with us! Life is hard isn’t it? Keep claiming God’s Word over your life for peace. And you are right, the thief will not win. We have Jesus, and he came so we could life life to the full!
      Blessings,

• Janet, I. Hear. That! While my circumstances aren’t the same, oooh, can I feel the evil one trying desperately to get a footlhold. At every stinkin’ turn! I love your complete reliance and enthusiasm for a battle already won by our God. Amen to that!

2. What a completely different message from the world. Not having to be strong enough as the song kept repeating. I felt like I really needed to hear it offer and over as I have to often fallen victim to that lie that I did have to be and tried to hold it all together. Thank you for that song and beautiful reminder that we don’t have to live the way we were and that God is bigger and stronger.

• Katie,
      We are free! Release those lies and claim God’s Truth~ “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” ~ John 8:32

You don’t have to have it all together~ no one else does even though it sometimes seems that way.

Big Blessings!

3. Carol Thompson group 26 says:

John 15:7 if you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you.
    This is a promise that if we stay in relationship with Christ and strive to be obedient, He will provide for us. We must stay connected to Him. We must study and pray and take time to get to know Him. In this day and age that can be very difficult. But we must make the time and put forth the effort. God loves us and wants the best for us. His power is greater than anything we can face on this earth.

4. This was my favorite quote today. I can relate to her when she told talked about the enemy coming in like. Thief and stealing God’s blessing from her. “guard our hearts so as not to become obsessed with the mess of life, because the thief loves making the most of a mess.”

Excerpt From: Miles, Tracie. “Stressed-Less Living.” ACU Press, 2012-09-18. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/stressed-less-living/id567237729?mt=11

• Barbara Prince says:

It is so true, “our struggle is not against flesh and blood.” The importance of that can not be overstated. Our battle is a spiritual one of fighting the fiery darts of the enemy of man’s souls. Those darts can take many forms and we have to be aware of them. We must “put on the full armor of God” so we can fight the fight of faith.

5. Aubrey Carey says:

I haven’t read the chapter yet. I am still “stuck” on the message from yesterday.
    SEEK first- this concept, of making time for God, for quiet time, of calling to Him first, praying to Him and looking to His word, when I am stressed, overwhelmed, but also thanking Him for my blessings, has been so life changing!
    God IS renewing my mind, changing my heart and my perspective!:)
    I thank God everyday for this OBS and for P31 ministries.

6. I can se how shamefully prideful I am and how it affects my relationships. I know I have to keep connected to God by reading His word, praying, and doing what He says. It also helps to have accountability partners to keep me focused, grounded, and constantly turning me to scripture. I am having diifficulty memorizing scripture and I know that I need to do better. I really liked the song and seeing the words and photos on the slides. I really need that today. Please pray for my son who has been sick ever since he returned home from college. He needs relief from his fever, illness, pain.

• Fran,
      I’m sorry your son is sick, but I’m glad he’s home with you. My son just got back from school last Friday. Praying for quick recovery for yours.

7. As I began reading the chapter, I felt myself squirm a bit in my seat. Some of the message was hitting very close to home. Yesterday I experienced an episode at work which caused me to really relate to the section about pride. A leadership committee had been formed at school requiring only 1 English teacher from the middle school level- there are only 2 of us. I was not chosen and my prideful heart immediately jumped to the conclusion that all of my hard work had not been recognized. Another teacher was being chosen over me. I later was told that I was not chosen because they thought I was already too busy.

By the time that I was told this, I had allowed pride to fill my heart with tumultuous emotions, focusing on the personal pain that had been inflicted on me, rather than seeing it as a blessing- a blessing that I had not been asked to add yet one more responsibility to an already full plate.

Ordinarily I spread the chapter reading over a two day period- but today I just couldn’t stop reading. On page 132 I read these words, “God not only sees our flaws, mistakes, and insecurities, he loves us despite them. He sees a deeper beauty and worth in us than what anyone else can see, even more than what we see in the mirror each day.” As those words sunk into my brain, I found myself mentally singing “Just as I am”. God loves me- Just as I am, warts and all- prideful heart and all- emotional outbursts and all. For that, I am so thankful!

• Barbara Prince says:

I love that old hymn. I sing it to myself often, because, I need to be accepted “just as I am” and only God can do that.

8. Please pray foe my mom. She is having a heart-cath on Thursday. We are “seeking God first”, which makes me so thankful for the reminder in our verse this week. I’m praying the doctors will have wisdom to make the right decision(s) concerning what the best will be for the health of my mom’s heart.

9. Your words are a gift this morning, dear friend. Thank you. Love and hugs, Shelly (OBS Leader)

10. Unfortunately, I was raised with the phrase “God helps those who help themselves.” So the “I can do it myself” is almost ingrained in me. I have to constantly stop and think to include God in every area of my life. That is why I so love the verse for this week. Seek first…Everyday seek His will first and everything else will be taken care of.

11. Natalie says:

Before I listened to the song, I’d been journalling about a verse from the stress busting section, and was really chuffed when the verse was in the song. Here is what I journalled about Phil 4:13 that says ‘I can do everything through him who gives me strength.’

The Matthew Henry Commentary states the following about Phil 4:13:

‘We have need of strength from Christ, to enable us to perform not only those duties which are purely Christian, but even those which are the fruit of moral virtue. We need his strength to teach us to be content in every condition.’

Being content in every condition. This is a tough one. It’s easy to be content when I am happy and comfortable, but not so easy when things are not going my way. It’s a challenge to me to not get worked up or flustered when things don’t pan out the way I thought they would. And this is where God’s strength is required more than ever. If I can learn to acknowledge God in all I do, all I am faced with, this act will draw me into His presence where I can give credit to Him and His strength. I can turn my burdens, concerns, any anxiety, any questions or confusion to Him. It’s really being mindful of God – that is having a mind that is “full” of God.

There is a contentment that comes when I pray, the trouble is I have not exercised my prayer muscle near as much as I should or want to. The statement is that God is always ready for me (and you) to have a chat. But the question is, am I always ready?

In saying that, I’m so thankful that my God is gracious, and I’m reminded of the scripture found in Psalm 103:8…and The LORD is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
    I’m comforted knowing that as I draw near to God, He will draw near to me (James 4:8). Now that’s something to be thankful for!!

12. Paige Ward says:

I just read the first section of chapter 6. What she says about the enemies plans hits so close to home. I can so feel him putting stumbling blocks in our way and believing the lies he tells me and then feeling condemned. It is so nice to see it all written out so that I can recognize that all of that is the enemy. It helps me see that I really need to put on the Armor of God every day to withstand the enemies plans. I love the quote, “My quest for less stress is dependent on God alone.” May that sink into my heart and mind.

As I was praying about the situations in my life that I am holding on to and giving them over to God, I felt God say, “Watch and see what I will do.” I want to stay focused on what God can do and not what I can do. I want to let go!

• I love this Paige! And I believe God said that to you, because the only way He can show us what He can do is when we turn it over to Him!!! <3

13. Stephanie W. says:

Chapter 6 was really hard to get through. I still have the reflection questions to do tonight, but had to digest this chapter first. Tracie’s way of showing how prideful I am was almost shocking. I have always been told to be independent, to be able to do everything. Not sure if it was due to Women’s Lib or what, but always was more independent than most. This is where I struggle with giving control over to God for every area of my life. I want to be able to do some things on my own. But was quickly reminded that I can do everything only with God’s help and strength.

There were many parts of this chapter that really stuck out to me. On page 121 there is a quote, “As we learn to dwell in Christ daily, we are better equipped to handle stress and adversities and better prepared to avoid meltdowns altogether.”

It is through this study that I have been able to commit to more time in his word and have felt the stress reducing. While it is still there and there are days when I awake feeling stressed, I am trying to turn to him first instead of waiting until I explode.

I am looking forward to what God has to say to me as I work through the questions.

• Stephanie, I found myself having a LOT of the same thoughts as I read through, struggled through, this chapter. It feels like I have to relearn how to rely on God and throw out some of the old adages that I had been taught. Dependence is a daily lesson over here. You put it so well, that it was all laid out in the chapter so that we can identify it. Loved that!

14. Stephanie L says:

I love the part about abiding in Christ. That we have to learn to “dwell in Christ daily so we are better equipped to handle stress and adversities and to avoid meltdowns all together”.

“Why do we not realize our limitations or stumbling blocks, BEFORE we end up in a throw down? Because the enemy wants us to feel discouraged and ill-equipped to handle life. He wants us to falsely believe we can do it on our own.”
    Any moms out there want to say, “Amen”? So that’s why we are constantly trying to be supermom and constantly compare ourselves to other moms and wonder why they can handle more kids, and I can’t, or they have it all together, and I don’t.
    “Our quest for less stress must be dependent on God alone.” Thank you Lord!

15. Oh Jamy! Thank you for an incredible post today! Simple words – but oh so powerful. We do NOT have to be ever be Strong Enough – we never have to do a single thing on our own ~ We have a direct connection to a power that created our very universe…what else could we possibly need. I so needed today! GOD IS GOOD!

16. Stephanie Christensen says:

This book increases in greatness with each chapter! The lion never sleeps, nails it right on the head! I have always claimed that when I start to make positive Christ centered decisions in my life that it seems the enemy is right there trying to deter me! I have learned when God invokes movement then Satan is there with opposition, going with a quote from Traci ” Reality has proven that the minute we say yes to God’s peace and God’s plans and begin to strive after a life focused on Him, the devil places a big red target on our chests and starts firing off shots at our hearts”.
    Learning how to fight back, like Jesus fought Satan with quoting scripture, is the only way to win. ” We have to be ready for the war that is being waged against our hearts each and every day by staying connected to our Savior.” We must stay connected and plugged into Him EVERY DAY!

• Christa Fowler (OBS Facebook Group Leader) says:

Stephanie,

Jesus is the BEST example of how to defeat the enemy in our lives!! Isn’t so fantastic that although satan thinks he’s won a battle, our Lord has it in the end?! :)

Blessings to you!

17. Melanie says:

I am so thankful for this book and the sisters I am on this journey with! Each chapter has spoken to me and is helping me realize the “signs” before the stress or situation really gets a hold of me! I am able to stop take a deep breath and talk to God first! I want to be able to give my husband and my daughter my BEST, not what is left over…so with God I am handling the “speed bumps” better and better each day and not taking it out on my family! I am amazed at how my own thinking process has started to transform, because my mind and heart have been shown a new light. :-)

18. Vanessa says:

Page 123, when we learn the importance of the word “abide”, peace can blossom. On mothers day my emotions were tested and not realizing it, I fell into a full blown emotional mess that started on Saturday and ran through most of the day yesterday. While lying on the couch curled up under my blanket just crying my heart out, God whispered to me that even though this hurt, I needed to go through this. I couldn’t understand but I decided to trust Him and He moved into my heart and showed me peace by showing me the things that happened on mothers day that I didn’t even notice because I was too busy noticing what didn’t happen. I got up got my big girl panties on and went for a run and began thanking Him for all the beautiful things that happened. Just to share one cute example. I have a little granddaughter, Navaehda, that is going on two years old. My son brought her to see me and she and I were sitting at her Dora table eating crackers, cheese, and cheerios; she looked up at me and said you eating too maw mawwww? Like we’re having a gourmet meal.(it was just she and I right there in that precious moment of life) At the time I didn’t even see the blessing in that moment. God showed me later that because I was so focused on coming home from church to no meal, no gifts, no cards and to look in the refrigerator to one frozen pizza, that I couldn’t see the blessings He gave me. My mother’s day meal was one of the best I ever had with my little two year old granddaughter glancing up at me with a huge smile while we ate cheerios and saying “you eatin too maw mawww? Oh my how we forget sometimes that God is SO BIG in the smallest places!!
    Love
    Vanessa

• Christa Fowler (OBS Facebook Group Leader) says:

Awwwwww, He is SO good to remind us of the littlest but biggest blessings!! :) I love how instead of continuing your emotional hurts under a blanket, you heeded the whispers of the Father, who was enticing you right back where He wanted you to be… In His lap. Blessings to you as He continues to demonstrate HIS faithfulness and grace in your life!

Christa:)

19. D'Edra Jefferson says:

I have not began reading the chapter yet due to being one of those who is behind due to stressful, time attacking situations. I did get chapter 5 read last night and I am still taking it in. I pray that God will step in and allow me time to read what He feels I need to today. Thank you all for what you do and making me understand that I am not the only one who runs behind in my accomplishments for the day.

20. Lauren Beach(OBS Group Leader) says:

Jamy ~ Your messages are always so uplifting to me! love the Song by Matthew West!

My favorite quote so far is page 122. “The sooner we recognize that we need to put on the full armor of God all the time and that we cannot do anything by ourselves, the sooner we will begin to understand that our quest for less stress must be dependent on God alone.”

Have a Blessed day Ladies <3

21. The Matthew West video was powerful Jamy, thanks for posting that. Phil 4:13 has been my theme verse throughout this last few months, especially, with my husband’s cancer. I DO have a huge problem with pride and thinking I can do everything myself. God has shown me that is not true. And blessed me with answers to do many problems I thought I needed to solve myself. In fact, realizing that loving my husband in a way HE needs to be loved right now is much more important than trying to earn money or care for our kids or clean the house. God is providing for us, all the tools to take care of those things. And He is providing opportunities for me to simply be there for my husband as he struggles with the chemotherapy and the depression of dealing with his diagnosis. “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” Amen!

22. Melissa Sorenson says:

I guess my ‘lightbulb’ moment really came with this phrase: “Do you ever assume that people wouldn’t want to spend time with your or care about your opinions or your problems, because you are not good enough or because you probably don’t meet their standards of importance?” I do tend to feel that way a lot. I recently have been going through this exact thing. I became involved with the Women’s Ministry in my church back in January and joined a group of women who are very spiritual and very dedicated to God and to our church. I tend to be, well, like I like to call it… ‘real.’ Down to earth, ‘rough around the edges,’ if you will. I love the Lord with all my heart and I’ve been a Christian for a very long time, but I haven’t been involved in a church for a very long time. So sometimes I feel like I lack in the area of knowing how other Christian women ‘should’ talk, and act, and behave…. So recently my feelings sort of came to a head and I was seriously praying as to whether I would continue in the Women’s Ministry or not. I didn’t feel like I fit in. And it wasn’t the other women’s fault, I knew that. The funny thing is, when I spoke with a few of them about it, they didn’t have any idea I was feeling this way, nor did they feel this way about me. So I knew it was me and that I needed to deal with my own issues. This is a great group of Godly women and they have done nothing but make me feel welcome and accepted…so why did I continue to feel ‘out of place’? Well, thanks be to God, I am on the way to understanding! And I’m so glad I didn’t hastily quit the Women’s Ministry, that I chose to wait on God for my answer…and I found it, in Chapter 6. Well, at least the beginning of understanding, so I can work through and find my answer through full trust in God. He is good!

23. My biggest take-a-way from this chapter is about my pride.

I never considered myself prideful. To me pride was for people who had something to be prideful about! This line on page 132 stopped me in my tracks:

It was like a light bulb went off in my head…my self-loathing is separating me from God. I’m putting my worth in the hands of the world and not in the hands of God.

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.” – Matthew 6:33

I need to look first and ONLY to God for my value, and then and only then will I truly be able to be stressed-less and at peace.

24. Thank you for your words today, Jamy & especially the awesome video. I couldn’t see all of it through the tears streaming down my face! When will I learn that I don’t have to be strong for my family. All I need & all they need is to lean on our Father! This OBS continues to bless me and help me grow every day. Thanks for all you ladies do for all of us!

25. Shaynne Palmer says:

I have to fight hard against so many fleshly things that keep me in the “I can do this myself mode”. I am a typical first born, been a single mom for 25 years with NO help, was in a church at one point that said they took care of their own especially single parents (which was a LIE), I served 13 years in the military and I have a bit of OCD that I think came along because of all the other stuff and just trying to keep myself sane. Because of all of this I have a tendency to try everything I can think of first instead of bringing it to God when I should start there and having Him work it out “for my good”.
    I had two “light bulb” moments or I should say “reminder” moments. The first was about pride. I am the person that has low self esteem added to people promising to help you with something and never follow through. This makes me not trust anyone especially God and I have to realize that when I think like that I am not hurting just myself but God because He did NOT make me the way I think I am. The second was the first paragraph of “Prepped for Battle”. I was one of those soldiers that went through constant training to be prepared for a natural battle I may never fight but with the Spiritual side we are in a battle everyday and if I don’t stay prepared I will suffer more than necessary. So what I plan on working on starting today is my attitude toward God and trusting Him with my problem FIRST and to keep myself in daily preparation for the battle.

26. Tristine says:

Thanks for that wonderful song I love so much! The very first wonderful woman that commented today could have took the words out of my mouth regarding increased warfare and attacks. That comment about the bullseye stings as I am going through a really tough time staying strong with all the enemy is throwing at my husband and I. Sometimes I am to worm out emotionally to speak God’s truth and fight. I loved what we learned on the conference call about His Word traveling from the head to the heart.I believe I am doing ask she suggested and dime things take more time.

I am very grateful and thankful for this study and all of you. I look forward to this assignment.

Love in Christ,
    Tristine

• Tristine says:

Oh, and I am hanging on to our Reflection verse tight this week-Matthew 6:33

“But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

27. Diane W. says:

Thank you for that music video, Strong Enough! I’ve heard that song on the radio a million times, but when I saw pictures and the words jumping out at me, it meant a whole lot more! Feeling really blessed right now. The struggles that I have, show me that I’m not strong enough. Abiding in Jesus is the only way. I am trying to let Him cleanse me from my stumbling blocks that seem to hang over my head. The doubt, the worry , the fear and concern always seem to be there. I have always been a worrier!!!

28. Only part-way through reading the chapter, but one thing jumped out at me — where Tracie talks about the passage in John 15. “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me, you can do nothing.”

The fruit of the spirit — love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control — are what helps us deal with people & stressful situations. And the only way we can cultivate it is by being connected to Jesus. Seeking Him first (instead of my own solutions) is the only way to be equipped to handle whatever life throws at me.

29. I loved this chapter as well as all the others ! Thank you Lord Jesus for giving Tracie the insight for this book and the gift to write. I did the dictionary research on abide and remain from question one. In that process I discovered a couple things. 1. Abide: to remain stable or fixed in a state. To endure without yielding. To continue in a place: sojourn. Then there was one that said : to put up with ( something painful or difficult) and the related words for this were: allow, permit,suffer,swallow etc…. I had to think about this as I know that word swallow all to well! This was what I had been doing for a number of months, even years. I hadn’t quite realized it as I should have until it came to the physical results of that swallowing, of hurts,loss,grief and mistreatment,as well as fear and dread of what was next to come my way, our way. I don’t think of myself as an independent person or strong willed for the most part. But some how when my son committed suicide and I felt so lost and so unprepared for this horror, I grabbed onto the feeling that God had forced this on me. I even said to The Lord one time ( maybe more ) what makes you think I would want to be used to help some one else in a crisis like this? As we know God comforts us and uses us to share that same comfort with others. As the weeks and months and now years have passed and as my other two children were getting ready to move out and step into their adult lives the fear again gripped me in a whole new way with: What if they cannot deal with life? What if they do some thing to end life? Why did I not see it coming for this other child? On and on and on it went. And in the process of course I was irrational and I am sure my kids could attest to my making walls between us in my endless fears. In this and their pulling back from me, I began to swallow down more pain and more fear, more imagined possibilities. So in saying all this I saw that my abiding and remaining needs to be in Christ not the what if’s ? Or the how will I deal with? Or this is unacceptable! I remain, I abide in , I am a sojourner with Jesus who has the answers, has the peace, has the understanding, has the cure for all my needs and the needs of my children. I can remain and abide by taking all these things to him. I have to stop swallowing the stuff, and take Jesus at his word,Trust he has the understanding I do not have and the the ability to get me through all life has. And once again I call upon The Lord who knows the plans He has for me, for my children, the plans for good, and not for disaster, to give us a future and a hope. Amen and amen.

30. Love this song!! I own a “STRONG ENOUGH” wrist bracelet and had the privilege of meeting Matthew West a couple of years ago when he performed at our church. AWESOME guy, and an amazing songwriter! https://missinginkshop.com/matthewwest/store/strong-enough-phil-413-wristband

31. I was stopped dead in my tracks when I read the sentence on page 132 “Even if your heart is not full of self-worth but instead full of self-doubt, that is still a form of pride.” Girls, I had no idea! I have not thought of myself as prideful because I am not worthy of “pride” because I am not rich, pretty, have nice things, famous, a good cook, a good mother, a good wife, etc.! I am even MORE PRIDEFUL for thinking that way. This is going to be like climbing Mount Everest for me to not be prideful. I mean I have feeling of self-doubt every day. Since reading this book I have been trying to live in the strength of the person God wants me to be and I want to be to fulfill my place in these times. It’s hard! Stress is hard and painful. Only God can get me through this mess of me.

32. Barb Truman, OBS group 19 says:

Has anyone else heard the saying that God won’t give you more than you can handle? This tends to encourage us to try to do it by ourselves and gets us in trouble. I love the verse in “Strong Enough” when Matthew West admits that he is not strong enough to do it himself, and maybe that’s the point :) When we hit “rock bottom” we reach up to ask for God’s help, but maybe we wouldn’t have to hit rock bottom if we walked with God each and every day…hmmm…

• Soo true. I often remind myself that God won’t give me more than I can handle **with His help.**. Cuz at times He definitely gives me more than I alone can handle!! :)

33. One line really stuck out to me in this chapter — “Pride is not always self-promoting. Somtimes it can be self-degrading as well.” Although I do not put myself down, at times I really don’t feel that I am good enough or what people say that I am. This usually happens when things start to get to me and I get overwhelmed with all that is going on in life. I am glad that I am not the only one who lets things get to them and has had ugly outbursts like that! I have done this on occasion and am not proud of it. Although, I rarely let these feelings escape, I really need to work on channeling it and expessing things more apropriately or improving my ability to let things go that really are not that important and I realize that keeping things in isn’t good either. Much to work on. A good chapter to reflect on this week! I really like this book and the OBS. Even though I sometimes can’t keep the schedule to complete the chapter in a week, I am printing off the lessons each week so i can complete at my own pace and so that I can redo this again at some point because it is such an interesting OBS.

34. Lynn Graham says:

my (2) favorite scriptures are: Jeremiah 29:11 for I know the plans I have for you ” declares the Lord. plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you and hope and a future.”

John 15:5 I am the vine you are the branches he who abides in me and I in him will bear much fruit. without me you can do nothing.

I did these from memory. I hope they are correct.

35. Lynn Graham says:

I forgot to mention a prayer request: my mother Gioia is going for back surgery this Saturday may 18th at 9:30am. they are going to remove a cyst from her lower spine so she can walk.right now she is in a wheelchair. and if you can pray for me. I’m getting frustrated. my cat had the runs yesterday messed herself up pretty good and I’m trying to clean her everytime she comes out of hiding. I called places that will groom cats but the first opening they have is in June.

• Pray and thank God for anything you can think of – I know God can do anything and I will not let the devil get me down – trust me he tries constantly – Praise God we can bring our pray requests to each other and admit life gets to us!!! I will pray – hang in there sister – God is good – all the time!! He never leaves us!!! Keep saying thank you to Jesus – just the whisper of his name – the devil will flee – he can’t stand it!!!!

36. Courtney says:

My light bulb moment in Chapter 6 was the section about pride. By no means am I a prideful person in a boasting sense; but today, I have learned that my pity parties that I occasionally throw is being prideful. I never looked at is as I was focusing more on myself than God. I love the questions Tracy poses in Chapter 6 for us to consider: Do you ever assume that people wouldn’t want to spend time with you or care about your opinions or your problems, because you are not good enough or because you probably don’t meet their standards of importance? Do you wonder is God ever really love someone like you? Do you tend to put yourself down frequently or have difficulty accepting a complement. OH! My eyes fill with tears each time I read those questions as I nod my head and mumble, “uh huh”. I often never shared what was going on with me because I didn’t feel important; or when I did, my “friends” would say I’m spoiled or worry about the silliest things. After that, I started stuffing. And, I have a bad habit of putting myself down, but I try to do it in a joking way. My husband HATES it. For example, if I fail at something new I will say, “see this is why we have garbage men, not all people can do the big things”. Instead of looking at it as that task just wasn’t my calling, I’ll generalize everything I do or will try will be failure. It is also hard for me to accept a compliment. If someone gives me one, I try to down play it as some fluke. I guess to sum it up, I have low self esteem. As my grandmother would say, God don’t make no junk! I know he doesn’t and he loves me right where I am and he has great things in store if I just seek him and walk with him. Ladies, I ask that you pray with me that I can let go of this ugly habit and know that I am worth it and God can use me. :)

37. Karen W. says:

First have to say how amazing it is to have daily Christian fellowship and input through OBS – otherwise for me it is nothing or very little – THANK YOU! great accountability!
    last night I read about Tracie’s breakdown after her mountain high experience – so can relate and never really thought how the evil one just loves to ruin the experience as well as “ruin” those at home over trivial things! Thank you for this insight – he attacks us in the small things many times

38. Michele says:

I haven’t started reading the chapter yet, but I love that song!

39. Missy H. Group 19 says:

One section that made an impact on me was when she was talking about coming home from a weekend speaking engagement and she was on a high for God and then when she walked through the door to her home it was a disaster and her high went into an unglued moment where she let the enemy take over and ruin the joy and closeness she had coming home and yelling at her family. Oh how many times I have done this, it was so eye opening to see how I am letting the enemy come in even in the smallest of things. I am praying for God’s armor to cover me and be able to stand up against the enemy and not let him take control over my emotions and not allow stress in but instead find peace through the Holy Spirit.

40. I just about highlighted the entire page on 127 but I love that I Can invite God into my pity parties!! He wants to hear my complaints before anyone else & David is a great demonstration of that as he pours out his complaints before The Lord in Psalm 142. Pride & Independence is something I desire to be free of. Desperate to get out of the cycle that ends up in shame & condemnation that only push me further away….I long for that halal intimacy where dependence becomes more the norm in my life!! Love this chapter!!

41. I keep hanging on to so many verses – the Lord puts the one there the day I need it but this one I think of often: “For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:43. When I get nervous, afraid I reach out and hold hands with Jesus!!!! There are so many things but there are so many believers that hold each other up and that’s what has gotten me through this year and will get me through today…..last night my son dislocated his ankle when playing basketball with friends and right away there were prayer warriors praying with me for him – they have it into place but don’t think it’s broke anywhere tomorrow we see the doctor and he can really tell. God is so amazing – he walks us through each step – Praying outside the door as my 19 year old groaning in pain. I realized later – I am God’s child and when I am suffering he knows and is there – I just have to reach out and hang on – we can’t do it alone and were never meant to. I love when my sons come and need our help if we can we do what we can – God can do anything much more that we can imagine – he says that!!!!!!! WOW-Praise God for him and our heavenly family!!!!

42. This was one of my favorite quotes “On the other hand, if we see ourselves as worthless and inferior, then we take the focus away from God and put it on us again”. I had never thought of it that way.

43. This chapter really hit home to me. I was raised to take care of myself, and the few times I have reached out for help, it seems like something would come up or they had to cancel, so I stopped asking. I started just taking care of myself and my family. I realized how much it has “hardened ” me. It stops you from letting people in for fear of getting hurt again. I know my family is in the middle of a spiritual warfare. It seems the more I turn to God, the more we have thrown at us. It wears you down sometimes. I am trying to seek God first in all situations, but I have to admit I really struggle not taking it back. My husband and I both are puzzled as to what we may be missing in our spiritual walk? I have been praying for His direction. This Bible study has been wonderful for me. I am learning to take one day at a time. “Be still and know that I am God” speaks to my heart.

44. Linda G says:

Page 130 was indeed another note “we” are responsible for our lives and choices. “It is our choice who will have dominion over our lives – the evil one or the Holy One. The lion never tires of his evil ways, but we can have great peace in knowing that our God never slumbers.” AMEN! I certainly do not intend on giving the evil one the upper hand in my life. I must try harder than I do and be grateful for my husband and all his efforts. I must appreciate every little thing anyone does for me even if in reality it may have fallen short of “my expectations”. In truth, I am not to judge and should be happy someone even tried to help. I have been given a hard look at myself as I read through this chapter. It was almost like looking in a mirror as I absorbed all the words. This was a reality check for me!

45. There was much in this chapter that spoke to my heart. I have always been one to “be in control” – I can do it, until I can’t do it any longer and ask God to step in. And when I ask, he ALWAYS answers. Yet, the stress and strain that I have put on myself, my family, and the situation is far more than necessary because I haven’t asked God to step in earlier. This Bible study has truly made me realize I need to invite Him into my life now, all the time, every day, at every turn. Much like the last chapter where Tracie sat on her bed with Bible verses around her, I am surrounding myself with verses from our Lord – on my car visor, in my Ipad holder and best of all, on my laptop at work. I am hoping whoever cleans my office at night is also being blessed, as they are rearranged in the morning!! This way, I surround myself and read the verses often, and feel God’s love embrace me. More importantly, I turn my eyes to Him first, not last, in my thoughts – prepping myself with His armor! Blessings to you all for becoming a part of my new life.

• I go to church with the lady that cleans my office, and she has mentioned how she loves cleaning up my desk because of the Bible verses I’ve got on post it notes on my computer screen. I don’t always turn to Him first, but this is a good reminder when it’s the first thing I see when I boot up in the morning, and the last thing I see when I shut down! Blessings to you, sister!

46. Sue Cadieux says:

I haven’t read the whole chapter yet, but already it is speaking VOLUMES to me. It’s been a very stress filled week here, and it’s only Tuesday! I need to put on that armor of God and PRAY and TRUST more than ever!!!

47. The “Light Bulb” moment in Chapter 6 dealt with Pride. I was fully aware that being full of one’s self and abilities “Pride”. I know this and try not to fall into this trap but I am sure there are traits I have that would classify as being prideful, as a result of things in my past I had become very independant, saying I could do it all myself. While now I have the abilities to accomplish many things, I now know that was God given abilities that were needed at the time I was a single mother.

The Ah-Ha moment came when I continued to read that not all pride is self promoting, but can be self-degrading. Ouch, that one got me just as hard. Though I thought since it was demoting my abilities it countered promoting my abilities and therefore would cancel each other out since I knew full wall that Pride cometh before the fall. I am real good about thinging that others need a little less self, and here I am in double jeapordy because in some cases I was self- promoting the other I was self-demoting.

I am guilty at work of saying “I am just not as smart as..”, or “If they get rid of anyone around here it will be me.”, or staring at myself in the mirror wondering where all those wrinkles, age spots and dark circles came from under my eyes. I could go on. Why I think I should see my body and face as it looked when I was 20 is beyond me. The point is it is all about “self” and the more I spend time on “self” the less I have time for God and his plans for me.

I so enjoy this study! I love, love, love learning and growing.

48. Tonya McCoy says:

This whole chapter is awesome but something that spoke LOUDLY to me today was the fact that pride isn’t just being arrogant & self promoting. It can also be a form of pride to be down on your self & having pity parties for yourself. This spoke loud to me cuz I am that person. The one that would think nothing I do matters. I am also reading Beth Moore’s “Praying God’s Word” & today I get it out & would you not know the chapter is about pride & she says the same thing. I certainly learned something today!

49. Amen and amen, sister! Praying for you as you continue on this journey!

50. I like the “Grown-Up Time Out” reference on p. 126. A grown-up timeout to spend some time with God everyday. I need to do this as it guards our hearts and minds. I was stressing today about something, and I got into reading Chapter 6 and listening to Christian music, and it so helps me.

Also the pride issue. Was interesting to read that self-doubt is pride – but it makes sense as the word “self” is part of the word. Focusing on ourselves whether overly or not enough.

I also love that song Strong Enough! -:)