May 18

SLL Week 6 ~ Praises & Prayer Requests

I was out driving this week and passed one of those churches that always has one of those cute saying on its billboard.  Usually they make me smile, or the nudge my conscience about my relationship with God.  This week the sign said:

Church Sign Never Look Back
Now at first I thought, “huh. (picture my forefinger tapping my chin as if in deep contemplation) That’s a good thought.”  But something in my spirit was unsettled by it, and not in a good way either.  As my day went on I thought on it and one verse in particular kept coming to mind, Romans 15:4 NIV, which says, “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.”

Our past is something we can learn from, it is God’s intent that we learn from it.  It is one of the ways we can prep for battle.  We can read in Scripture the history of battles that have been fought before us.  We can remember Elisha who reminds us that we don’t fight alone but have angels on our side (2 Kings 6:17).  We are reminded that God can use the most unlikely people in a big way if we let Him (have you read about Rahab? Check out Joshua 2 and Joshua 6:22-24).  We learn how to overcome temptation by reading how Jesus responded to it in Matthew 4:1-11.  We can look to our own past and see the battles we have fought, and by God’s grace won, in the past and use those experiences to arm ourselves for the battles we face today, and those we will face tomorrow.  “Never look back”?  I have to disagree with that.

At the same time, it is so easy to become consumed by the past, and God doesn’t want that for us either.  (Read Philippians 3:13-14, Isaiah 43:18-19, and especially 2 Corinthians 5:17)  God has a plan for us, one that is good, and perfect, and beyond anything we can imagine.  If we are living in our past, consumed by our past life so much so that we aren’t living the life we have now, we are missing the gifts He wants to bestow on us.  Hmmmm.  (contemplative forefinger tapping again)

Perhaps there is a middle ground here, one that can help us to have less stress in our lives.  Maybe we should:

Church Sign Never Look Back 2

So suit up and use all the tools that our Lord has given us to fight this battle! If you are currently in a battle we would love to pray with you and join in the spiritual fight. And if you have recently won a battle share it with us so that we can rejoice with you as well. Every comment is read and prayed over by a member of the Online Bible Study team.

Blessings,
Ginny Blankenship, P31 OBS Teaching Team & Prayer Warrior

Comments

1. She said she feels like curling up in a ball and giving up. MAY God have mercy on her.

2. What is happening to all my posts? They never seem to show up on the blog with the rest of them. I read all your posts/requests and when I post it only shows mine

3. Is it because I am using my kindle?

4. I don’t even know where to start, as God is sooooo Good. Well let me 1st say my prayers go out to all those posting about what they’ve overcome and those stuggling with current battles. I am a single mother of 5 and had lost the heart of my children a while back, a son on drugs, a teen daughter with a baby, another teen daughter who is *still* attracted to the fast life of the streets and gang life, another daughter trying to find her way wanting to please the Lord, but seeking wordly acceptance at the same time, and a young son witnessing these events and struggling inside with the big WHY ?. Without making this a long drawn out story. God is good I too have had my own obstacles a failed Marriage, a wishy washy church family and a doubtful relationship in the Lord. I was so lost and confused about where God needed or wanted me to be, but I prayed and prayed and prayed and prayed some more :0)…and I have OVERCOME, he allowed me to see the lessons in the trials, I’ve gained the hearts of my children back and he showed me such great compassion, mercy, and love through it all. Things aren’t perfect and we still have our moments, but I came from a point of wanting to die, to fighting to live, and fighting for my family. For all those struggling with any battle NO MATTER what the enemy whispers in your ear ITS A LIE!!! Remember Joseph…”You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.” and remember that the word says “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” I am in tears as I type this. For the memories of those hurts remain, but the strength and love of God overpowers it all. Thats why this post means so much it isn’t meant for us to forget,but to remember so we learn and prepare so that we might have wisdom in the next battle. We are not the same, but better than before.
    Thank You Father for all that you are and all that you’ve done. In the Mighty Name of Jesus I pray for those on here, outside of here, and those who we all surround and encounter, Love Them, Comfort Them, and bring Strength upon them Amen.

• Wonderful testimony, great post. I have to bind those lies and leave them at the cross daily, but I am getting better at recognizing them before they get me in knots. That is the battle!

• Sarah what a wonderful testimony to what God is doing in your life and your family life he is indeed the same yesterday today and forever praise his holy name. Xo

5. Lord your word says that when two or more agree it is done. Mark 11:24 says that what thing we soever desire when we pray believe that ye receive them and ye shall have them. Lord I am standing in the gap and interceding on behalf of my friend Cindy Lord. She is going through so much. Her family is turning their backs on her because she wants to honor her departed mother’ wishes, that is to preserve the home. Lord we know that Cindy heart desire is to keep her mother’s home from foreclosure and Lord we call upon your ministering angels to encamp Cindy and arm her with all that she needs. We proclaim her healing!!!! We proclaim the finances Cindy needs. We thank you Lord for the Victory!!! In Jesus Name. Amen!!

6. I found some of the posts

7. I can relate to your updated church sign. I have always felt that if I keep finding myself in the same situation, it is because I haven’t yet learned all God wants me to yet.

God keeps us in a holding pattern circling the same issue until we have finally sqeezed all the life lessons we needed to learn and only then will we be able to moved forward.

Another saying – If you have always do what you have always done, you will always be where you have always been.

8. Prayer Request

My youngest stepson (18) is having a bit of a hard time, he is a senior about to graduate from high school which is probably adding to the stress.

His mother has been dealing with personal issues over the last couple of years which has diminished her phone contact, financial support, and visits. She lives several hours away. He feels as though she has pulled away, and is very hurt. He is also jealous of his older brother (22). During his high school years, his mother was down regularly, she rented a house/condo to come down and spend time with them for at least a week at a time, and a month every summer. Spoiled them both, bought clothes, big kid toys, took them on annual family vacations. Support has continued to help with the oldest college expenses while telling the youngest she couldn’t afford to buy him a pair of shoes. In the last few years, her visits slowly diminished, and hasn’t hardly been down in 2 years. She has missed the youngest last two prom’s, but will come down for his Graduation a couple of days but has no plans to visit this summer. His Step Father told him they just did not have the money to travel like they used to. He told her on the phone that he is so upset with her because he is afraid by the time he gets married and has kids she will be no where around.

I am not trying to be insensitive to her issues, just detailing what he told me. It is a sad situation and prayers are really needed for her. I think there is much more going on that the boys are aware of, what they do know of, brings up memories of how their family fell apart in the first place. Pray for her healing, well being, strength to overcome issues, and to renew her relationship with her boys.

Not often you see an 18 year old crying because his mother can’t come down for his prom. It just broke my heart. He has such a sweet, precious spirit and I am so proud of how he has grown up.

I try to be as much support as I can raising them for the last 8 years, and we have a wonderful relationship, but there is just no replacement for Mom.

• Sandi B says:

I can relate to your stepson’s situation, but my experience with a distance parent was with my Dad. You are right–nothing can replace his mother–and I doubt he expects you to replace her. I believe that what he needs most from you is your continued love and support and presence in his life. Maybe his mom will find her bearings and reestablish herself in his life; maybe she won’t. His worst fears about that relationship may be proved wrong–or right. But, none of that changes the place you have in his life. Whatever is special between the two of you–inside jokes or stories, common experiences, shared traditions–they will give him stability in other ways. I share this with you, because I want to affirm you in your place in his life. God has placed you where you are and is using you to provide a motherly contact to support him. Praise the Lord that you are there for him.

9. Rebecca says:

I really like this post and the sign. Praise because I have a summer job that will pay more then what I had last summer since I owe my parents some money from tuition but still working on the full-time position for the fall. Really trying hard to rely on God for where I’m supposed to be but would like a full time position after subbing for 4 Years!

10. Please continue to pray for me that God will lead me to the right senior housing development.I feel a sense of peace. THIS MUST BE FROM GOD!!!!!!!

11. Renee D says:

Prayer request: I feel that every week I am learning such valuable information, but I ask for prayer that I am praying myself, that I can keep these wonderful techniques, scriptures, God’s word in my heart and put them into action. I can’t quote exactly where I read it, but it’s true we can have all this information, or I can have the world praying for me, but if I don’t know what to do with it, I will remain the same. Sort of like in the bible where it talks about the man that couldn’t walk and the Lord “asked” him if he was ready to be healed, to take up his mat & walk. Sometimes I feel like that man, years of being “sick” but has God been asking me if I want to be well & not said yes???? Am I holding on to fear like a security blanket? Sometimes I feel that way :-( I AM sick & tired of being sick & tired with fear/anxiety/ etc. I love this bible study & am praying for everyone involved :-)

12. Melanie says:

I am thanking God for all the blessings I have in my life. I tend to become frustrated because of work, kids, housework etc. and then realize that these things are blessings because where would I be without them. I am not feeling like myself this week. It is not a place that I want to be.
    I have not prayed and studied like I have in the past weeks. I pray that I can perk up and be me. And all that God wants me to be. I am asking for prayers for my family. I have 3 teenage girls and hope that I can be the Christian example for them I god would have me to be. I also have a little boy. I pray that I can raise him to follow God and be a Godly man. I pray God would intercede and change the struggles that we are experiencing in our marriage. Please help me to not be so cold and to truly forgive for things that have been said and done that have been so hurtful.
    I know I need more of God each day. I need to,pray and study more. Praying that his will can be done in my life.

13. Spent Tuesday night in the ER with breathing issues and a racing heart. Thursday night our kitty died and today is the 7 year anniversary of our son dying. It’s been a rough week. I am in remarkable shape considering. Thank you Jesus.

Erin Cuomo, OBS Group Leader

• Erin, I know you are clinging to Jesus! I’m praying for you, sweet friend!
      Love and Prayers,
      Beth A. (OBS Group Leader)

14. Praise for the best day ever..spent the day with Marines Helping Marines Fishing Tournament. We had about 30 wounded soldiers out fishing for the day. Just watching them with their determination and the enjoyment they had being outside the confines of hospital or rehab was awesome.

Today is Armed Forces Day…please take a moment to remember these heros, these brave men and women who are serving our country in order to keep us free. Seeing these guys today put a new perspective on this for me. These young people who have sacrificed for us and in turn have had their lives changed forever. Dear God, I pray that you give these soldiers hope for the future, provide excellent medical care for the present and someone to guide them spiritually into their future. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

15. Virginia says:

Please pray that I let go and let God work in a relationship.

16. Please pray for God’s direction in our family decisions, and His protection of our four children, for their healing and God’s comfort. May their hearts be open to the love of Jesus. and know God as their perfect Heavenly Father, and serve Him first always. He is Faithful and He is Good all the time! Thank you Jesus for Your healing and provision!

17. I want to praise & thank Jesus for the completion of what felt Like the longest journey & completion of my Bachelor’s. It’s been a long season and many times felt like giving up because of all the pain, heartache, and trials that I faced with my family, my insecurities, the lies Satan told me. But Praise God I endured and God gives me beauty for ashes!!! Thank U Jesus.

I need prayer for this migraine I have today, and for this infection in my body. Please pray for healing for me. Also, for where God is leading me now. For my family ESP for helping me not give up hope on my schizophrenic sister who no matter how hard I try to convince her to take her medicine she will not ! I don’t want to be forced to place her in a place that I feel uneasy about and can’t afford a better option due to finances. Oh please pray for direction for me, guidance, healing, and provision. Thank u Jesus for all these women. Amen

18. Praise/Prayer request: God is good! Back in February we put our house on the market bc we had to move for my husbands job. Within a week we had an offer but since we are doing a short sale it had to go through the bank. We just got word this week that the bank decided to accept the offer!! Please pray that the inspection goes well.Its this Thursday. If all works out we are looking to close on the 17th of June. Thank you so much for your prayers.

19. Cindy B says:

My biggest stress right now is our failing business. We share partnership with 2 other couples who are not believers. It’s tough to stand up and voice an opinion when they seem to be controlling the company more and more. I pray God will give us the guidance to know when we should step up and when we should shut up. Let’s just say our one partner might need to read the book LET. IT.GO. :)
    I am ready to contribute in a big way, but feel like they don’t trust me to take control of anything.
    Prayers please and thank you.

20. Praise God! Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! For this day and every day! For family and friends! For all of our joy and also our sufferings! For His grace and mercy! For His love and peace! Alleluia!

21. I am so grateful to my precious Lord that he has been helping and healing me with the spiritual battle of fear and doubt. I still have a ways to go, but he has done so much, and I try to remember all he has brought me through, especially when I am starting to feel fearful and doubtful again. Thank you Lord for bringing me closer to you, and please continue to heal me of fear, anxiety, worry, doubt. Continue to show me how mighty you are. Like the song says, I have to remember that the victory has already been won so I don’t need to fight this battle. I need to receive God’s truths and continuously remember them!!

22. Melissa Panzera says:

Please pray for our family we had lived in Austin for eight years but in November 2012 My husband had moved us out of stress and making a hasty decision. We moved to Arlington. We had a good church we were apart of and always feel the holy spirit and have a strong foundation there. I had just got involved in Sisterhood a womans group on Wed night for small group and now that were here do not have that. My husband Chris who is now wanting us to move back to Austin and do to need God to be in our move trusting God to help us We have our daughter who is about to be 9 years old and our son who still lives in Austin and our daughter Ashlyn who lives out by My Mom in Eastland who just had a baby she is 16 and lives with her boyfriend the father of the baby. Which we did not make that decision for her to do my Mom made for us. All the decisions from moving to Arlington have all caused so much stress as far as our daughter is concerned. My husband got a job here we got a house and are doing good but need our church and strong foundation. Please pray for GOD to be with our family as we need God to be in this decision of moving back just dont want to go through all the stress of moving and need God to help us.

23. Melissa Panzera says:

Please pray for our family we had lived in Austin for eight years but in November 2012 My husband had moved us out of stress and making a hasty decision. We moved to Arlington. We had a good church we were apart of and always feel the holy spirit and have a strong foundation there. I had just got involved in Sisterhood a womans group on Wed night for small group and now that were here do not have that. My husband Chris who is now wanting us to move back to Austin and do to need God to be in our move trusting God to help us We have our daughter who is about to be 9 years old and our son who still lives in Austin and our daughter Ashlyn who lives out by My Mom in Eastland who just had a baby she is 16 and lives with her boyfriend the father of the baby. Which we did not make that decision for her to do my Mom made for us. All the decisions from moving to Arlington have all caused so much stress as far as our daughter is concerned. My husband got a job here but works 24 hour shifts and makes it hard
    we got a house and are doing good but need our church and strong foundation. Please pray for GOD to be with our family as we need God to be in this decision of moving back . Its hard because our daughter likes her school and makes it hard knowing the right thing to do because moving with out God’s direction we have already paid for dearly.

24. Jessica says:

Praise from a good doctor report! Praise also for a weekend a minimal anxiety and panic attacks.

I contiune to pray to draw nearer to our God, to be healed by him, to trust and obey. I pray for a friend with a special need. Also, contiuned prayer that my husband and I would be blessed to begin a family and patience if not. Thank you Lord for your daily deliverance. Help me to change my attitude to see the positive .

25. Martha F. says:

I just want to share a praise report! My almost 20-yr.old son finally got a part-time job that starts Thursday & they will work with his college hours.
    Thank you Lord for hearing and answering prayers!

26. Crystal says:

I noticed the sign says Hurricane First Church of the Nazarene… Is that in Hurricane, WV?