May 20

SLL Week 7, Day 1 ~ Bible Verse

Hello to all my awesome Online Bible Study Sisters!  It’s Linda Kuhar here again teaching Chapter 7 Overcoming Your Giants.  All I can say is I’ve highlighted just about every line in the entire chapter.  It’s that incredible!!  But before we dive in the book study, let’s soak ourselves in the word of God to prepare our hearts for a life-changing week.  This week’s reflections verse is…

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

Philippians 4:8

As many of you know, I’m a Christian Life Coach so guess what that means?  I like to challenge you from time to time.  So lets roll up our sleeves and let’s get busy this week in God’s truth.

• First, let’s pray and ask God to examine our hearts and minds as we mediate on this verse.
  • Next, grab your journal and write out Philippians 4:8.
  • After reading quietly over this verse several times, write down anything that you are putting in your mind that is not true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable or worthy of praise.
  • Finally, ask God to help you refocus your mind on things excellent and worthy of praise.

Sisters, I wish I could tell you the above exercise is the “magic” formula to a brand new mindset, but it’s not a one time thing, it’s a life long change that takes hard consistent work.  For me personally, I struggle every day with a negative mindset, however when I’m willing to face my giants and make a change, it is readily available to me.  It just requires an attitude of determination and faith to know that God has my back.

I want to challenge you to join me this week in fixing your thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable.  Leave a comment today and let me know if you accept the challenge and if so what are you going to do to keep yourself accountable.

This week we will have 2 Winners for our Friday Giveaway!  I will be giving away 2 Tickets to my upcoming Virtual Mini-retreat Discovering God’s Will for your life!  Click here to read more.  Remember every time you leave a comment your name goes into the drawing!

Comments

1. Wow! I’m blown away by the work I see God doing here! And I want to be part of it… I’m dealing with some circumstances in my life right now that I have prayed for God to change. I keep taking it to the Lord & trusting Him. Then I start fretting over it again & focusing on the negatives. Pray for me to really trust Him & while I wait on Him to focus only on the good in these circumstances.

on Him to focus on the good in these circumstances

• Melanie says:

I do the same thing.. I pray and give it to God and then I begin worrying over the problem again. I just can’t seem to let go and I know I should just let God handle things. I am praying for you and hope that through this study each one of us can grow and learn to fully rely on God.

• Thanks Melanie! I’m praying for you too!

• Nancy Dye says:

I feel exactly the same as Rita. I want to put my troubles in God’s hands AND praise him for the good blessings He’s given me. I find myself worrying that I’m not doing enough to please Him. He’s gifted each of with the potential to do good things. The “fine line” of God taking actions when He’s ready and me doing my part is what I struggle with.

My double mastectomy was done yesterday. I am now cancer free whose reconstruction will me to never have this cancer again.

2. Bree (OBS FB Team Leader) says:

Unfortunately for me, fixing my thoughts on what’s true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and admirable is no easy task. I woke up this morning feeling discouraged and allowed my thoughts to get the better of me. At the time, I felt what I was doing was wrong, but I still continued on, acting ungrateful and bitter.

Last summer during one of the OBS conference calls, I heard the phrase, “There’s power in the pause.” I’m trying to implement that into my life. So, when my mind goes sour, I’m going to try pausing and changing that negativity into something positive. This is a process I’m going to have to continually learn.

• wow- thanks for sharing that! “there’s power in the pause.” I will be remembering that.

• Niki H. says:

My Monday started off the same way. Sometimes I feel like Mondays are a hangover from a much too busy weekend. “There’s power in the pause” is an awesome reminder. I need to be mindful & protective of our time as a family on the weekend. Everyone goes into Monday worn out. I wake up most Monday with a attitude that helps no one. Very fitting realization for what we are digging into this week.

• Bree (OBS FB Team Leader) says:

I’m trying to be mindful of triggers, too. For example, Friday nights seem to be difficult for me. However, I’m able to help control my negativity now that I’ve recognized that pattern.

3. Rebecca says:

I accept the challenge! Negative thinking has been a pattern for me for many years. This week, I am going to commit this verse to memory and have it on cards posted around the house. I will pray every morning for God’s strength to think positively and also for Him to make me aware of when I start to think negatively. This will not be easy for me, but I know that God is bigger and stronger than any problem or challenge I face.

4. I accept the challenge! I have been consistently working on this for years. The more you challenge yourself to do this, the more automatic it becomes and you start recognizing your negative thoughts or feelings sooner and sooner each time. Next thing you know you are turning your thoughts almost instantaneously to the beautiful, true and pure thoughts! It is so amazing! I will continue to commit to seek God first in all things at all times, this is what will hold me accountable to this challenge this week and always!! I am honored to have the opportunity to embark on this challenge with all of you! Love this verse, love this challenge, love God, love all of you beautiful ladies!!

5. Jessica Z says:

What a great challenge at a perfect time in my life. I have this verse posted for my kids….but I will be posting it for me this week! If I fill my mind with God’s truths, then the stress and worry will fade away as my mind is transformed!

6. I’ve struggled with negative thinking all my life. I was raised that way and continued it after I married and had children. I have really been working on this for several months already and readily accept this challenge. Already, I know that there are specific times of the day when I let my mind drift toward the negative. One is when I’m driving home from work. So now I turn up the volume on the Christian radio station and listen to positive, uplifting songs. Another time for me is late at night, so I read the Bible, write down my worries and concerns and lay them under a cross on my bedside table and pray. And if I start feeling those negative thoughts during the day, I come to this site and read all of the wonderful OBS comments – you ladies always lift me up!

• Kim, you just lifted me up too! It sounds like you have several strategies in place for when your mind goes to that negative place. What great ideas!!

• I like the idea of writing down our worries & laying them under a cross. When I was in college our Pastor layed a big wooden cross on the alter & passed each of us a piece of paper & a nail. He had us write down all the things we were trying to handle alone, all of our concerns, fears & sins. We then took our own papers up & nailed them to the cross. That act has stayed with me for 20 years – recalling it reminds me of the power of Christs blood to wipe all of our Giants away. Thank you OBS leaders for guiding us through this.

7. Looking forward to digging into this chapter. I so want to trust God and his plan for myself and my family. My oldest son is bipolar and in a serious legal issue. Day to day we face his many different moods and challenges and what lies ahead when he is sentenced in June. I have been a chameleon and take on everyone’s stress along with my own, allowing myself to take on their stress. Last week I struggled all week with dark, ugly thoughts and let them overcome my heart. I have been praying for a long time to understand all this. I want to just give it God, However, I just keep taking it back. I pray that I leave it there and trust him to work for the greater good for everyone in my family. This has been a great Bible study for me to clean “my house”. I look forward to each week and what God will be teaching me.

• Hi Becky….I will be praying for you and your son. My Grandson is also bipolar and is having problems in his marriage because of it. He has a little eighteen month old boy. I try to remember every day that God loves him even more than I do and that helps me to let go and keep praying. For me letting go is a one day at a time process as I ask God to help me focus on my blessings and do some things I enjoy doing. Being outside, planting flowers, going to the library or.taking my granddaughter to McDonalds…Thank you for sharing

8. I have a positive outlook until my husband starts in and the negativity fills our home. God has been showing me this afternoon ways to stay in His presence through my reactions turn from negative and stay in the positive: by saying please & thank you, ask God for a good word to my husband or God show me what to do to bless him, get outside several times a day in God’s crestion, make something beautiful.

To remember he is going through his own giants in his health as well only my husband doesn’t know Jesus except through my relationship with both. Thank you Father!

9. Kelly Hamerle says:

I ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE!! Sorry, didn’t mean to shout…I am just that excited about this week;) I believe that just staying focused on what God is trying to do in my life and not let anyone or anything detour me. I know my small fb group will hold me accountable as well.

10. Thank you for your encouraging words -this week I chose to fix my mind on the things the are good every time – for most of my life I have struggled with this but I know through this last 2 years God has been slowly working on my mind as I surrender to his will and it now reaching the point were I and others see the change in me – praise His Holy name- x

11. Lori K (OBS Group Leader) says:

Not only do I need this challenge, but I am accepting your challenge to fix my thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable. Too often I let the opposite thoughts control my life. Time to post this verse strategically throughout my home.

12. Jessica says:

Challenge accepted!! I love the idea to not only list those negative thoughts (boy, this is a struggle for me and the last few weeks I have really felt convicted to stop COMPLAINING! Make a change, Jessica or shut it!) but also positive thoughts. The power of positive!

13. Thank you Linda!!! I accept the challenge!!! I need to keep my mind on the positive! <3 -Sue

14. Kathleen says:

I am going to accept the challenge to keep myself accountable to fix my thoughts on God by meditating on His Word and by Praising Him for His Truth, His Honorable Position as Sovereign, His Right, Pure, Lovely Peace, and His admirable Virtues. I am going to journal His workings as I attempt to put into practice His strengthening of my faith and my attitudes and thought adjustments. If I write it down—I will do it!

15. Making the choice to change the way we think is a lifetime assignment and it covers every aspect of life. I woke up with this very struggle, spending too much time thinking about how tired I was, starting to get cranky towards my precious little one but as I began to take each thought captive & choose a different thought based on truth my entire demeanor changed. Yes I was tired but I wasn’t frustrated about it so for that I’m thankful & accept this lifetime challenge of choosing my thoughts.

16. Tristine Barry says:

I totally accept this challenge. We did this through our FB Group (Yay Kristy and #28 group!) and I have an accountability partner. I am loving this because what I did with my index cards is capitalize the words TRUE, PURE, LOVELY, ADMIRABLE, etc and it catches my eye easier. I take my time to think of what/who is true first. I always come back to Jesus. He is all of these and more. Thank you for throwing out the challenge. I have finished the reading also and look forward to the call.

Love in /Christ,

Tristin

17. Lori D. says:

I accept the challenge and need it! I am going to try and remember the promises of God when the negative thoughts of being unworthy and not deserving of his help and love invade my mind.

18. Stephanie W. says:

What a great challenge this week! Fixing my thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable. And for me — to fix my thoughts on the positive things that are happening. As I tend to dwell on the negative things and negative actions of people around me. And of course, being drawn into the negativity. I love this verse and started really looking at it a couple of days ago. Such a challenge. Praying for all of us as we work on this challenge this week.

19. I have lately been really struggling with negative self image. It does not matter how often my husband tells me I am beautiful and that he loves me. I am so miserable with my weight and looks as I have gotten older. There was a time not so long ago when someone gave me the greatest compliment and that was that I glowed and radiated with Christ’s joy. My weight hasnt changed and I dont suppose my face has much either…I need to fill myself with that joy again so that it radiates!

20. I do want to take the challenge this week. I struggle with keeping my thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, and praise worthy. This week I’m asking God to help me refocus my thoughts. When I’m driving is when I struggle a lot, because I’m more aware of my thoughts. So I usually listen to upbeat Christian music, or memorize scripture. I’ve Definately have my work cut out for me, but always love a challenge.

21. Renee D says:

Linda K. I accept the challenge this week to fix my thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable :-) I am going to keep myself accountable by making sure as soon and a thought is NOT any of the above, I will take the action in that moment to think of God’s promises in His word to contradict that negative thought! Give it something to smolder that negative thinking! I look forward to this week and its challenges too! Be blessed Ladies :-)

22. I need to focus on being true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable, not in the ways of the world, but in the way God wants me to be.

23. I accept the challenge to change my negative thinking! This has really plagued me my whole life. I remember thinking as a child walking to school that it was better to start out the day thinking it was going to stink so you’re not disappointed when it does. What kind of kid thinks like that? Talk about self fulfilling prophecy! Yeah, I am my own worst critic for sure and even though I’ve got some pretty big giants facing me down, this chapter made me realize that I’m the one inflating them in to super villain status. God help me and all the ladies here to change our hearts when it comes to the life draining negative thoughts we repeat to ourselves, words that drag us in to despair and open the door to temptation. Let me hear you shout “get behind thee Satan” when these thoughts arise, knowing you will always protect and comfort me.

24. I love this verse so much, I made it my daughter’s life verse. It also always makes me think of a sermon our minister preached once, where he talked about the fact that we need to always be thinking about what we are watching, as it becomes part of us. You can’t unwatch an image that has been put in your mind, it becomes part of you. He suggested that we should always think about whether we would feel comfortable having God see some of these images as “part” of who we have become. I try, not always successfully, to keep this in mind when I pick movies to watch or books to read. Subjecting myself to dark and unholy things puts them in and I can never take them away.

25. I am so excited to see all the ladies who are accepting this challenge. It seems a lot of us struggle with negative thinking. This obs is such a blessing and we can keep each other accountable. God bless each one of you!

26. Tristine Barry says:

Wow! I just want to share that focusing on this verse so far. Like most of us here that are faced by negative thinking as our “giant”, I am guilty of that also. I have had not one negative thought since I started really meditating on this verse. Working on one item at a time (truth, noble, etc) it keeps me off my circumstances. God has blessed our family with a miracle lately and we are just ecstatic. We have been in the furnace with the Lord for a while and it is so nice when he answers giant-sized prayers.

I just want to provide hope to anyone who is challenged by this negativity, maybe feeling like there is a fog between you and God. As we are learning, He is right with us, always, strengthening us, cheering us on, and protecting us. He longs for us to trust Him with everything and I find that when I focus on the Kingdom, and stay focused on the Kingdom, and in prayer with our wonderful Savior, after the dark there is always the light, even stronger.

Love in Christ,

Tristine

27. I accept this challenge as well. Satan knows that this is one of my major pitfalls. Recently he has been trying to bring me down using some circumstances beyond my control. I praise God that through God’s renewing my mind in this study I have been able to speak God’s truth back to Satan. i am so thankful that God brings back His truths hidden in my heart when I need them most (Psalms 119:11). I pray that we all remember what God’s truth says about Him as well as ourselves. I pray that when we need to we will cling to it as well.

28. I accept the challenge.

29. Hmm, do I or don’t I that is the question. I will accept your challenge Melissa, I will think on what true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable and if anything is excellent or praiseworthy. I know this will be a hard challenge but I need to get with this challenge. Because I can’t just memorize and read that verse and not apply it to my life what good is it if I don’t.

30. I will take the challenge! I have found grumpiness creeping into my everyday and I don’t like it! This weeks verse along with Ephesians 4:31-32 speak to our Lindsey’s and behavior, regardless of circumstances. This can be so difficult. I find myself basically saying, “but God…” The funny thing is I just finished the Ephesians verse with my children last week with our ABC scripture cards. This week for letter C we are doing Clothe yourselves in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (Colossians 3:12b) I definitely have needed the reminder about my attitude and behavior. I am going to recite this verses with my children, but also start my day with them and remind myself throughout the day!

31. Challenge accepted. I will verse-map and post this verse in visible places at home ans work this week. Bit behind on reading, but not giving up.

32. ConnieH says:

I loved a few weeks ago when we were asked to look up the definition for the words conform, transform, and renew. I did that again this week – looked up the definition of true, noble, right, pure, and lovely. Writing out the definition of these words helps solidify in my mind just exactly what God is calling me to do here.

This week, when I catch myself thinking or dwelling on negative things, I am going to re-read not only the verse, but the definition of these words. Hopefully, with practice and reputition, my neative thoughts will become few and far between, and they will be replaced with the goodness, kindness, gentleness, and faithfulness that abiding in Jesus can bring.

33. Woo hoo! I accept the challenge. This is one of my favorite verses and I love the NIV: true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report. I say this often and will keep it next to the sink where I get ready every morning. It is so true that we need to keep our minds focused on the good, otherwise we can easily be overwhelmed.

34. Lee Roberts says:

Each week it is amazing how the verses are just what I needed to hear and how God will have someone else either my pastor or some devotions I am reading also bring up the same verses. That is God really telling me you REALLY NEED THIS!
    Looking forward to facing the giants.

35. Christine says:

I am up for the challenge! This is something I fail at time and again, so I guess the first thought I need to give up is that “I can’t do this!” To stay accountable, I’ll tell my husband about the challenge and have him point out whenever I get into a negative mindset.

36. Virginia says:

I am up for this challenge and will hold myself accountable. I will write down each time I don’t think a praiseworthy thought.

37. I am soo ready to make this commitment to the challenge of changing my mind set. A vast majority of my stress stems from the what “if” and uncertainties and so much of it swirls around negativley in my mind, over and over again. I’m really looking forward to actively working on a change for thinking positively. Thinking brighter. Thinking the way God would want me to think. Thank you for this. Great stepping stone on the life journey for change.

38. Treasure says:

Thanks for challenging me
    I really want to focus
    It’s hard
    I’m going to start with the “worthy of praise” part
    Most likely that will cover some of the others–true,pure,honorable,lively, admirable, excellent

39. Dawn H. says:

I am so up for the challenge – a little behind in accepting – but up for the challenge! Lovely and pure! I say it all the time in my household! Being honorable too! We will not be a family that is not honorable in God. That is hard, though. So many things in this world work against us! Gossip, jealousy, desire, greed, technology at times, etc. I want to Praise God! I send my kids off to school every morning with the phrase, “Look for things that are excellent!” Go God!!!!

• Love it!! What a way to remid your children to look for things that are excellent!!

40. I am thankful for your challenge! As i read this verse this week, I am going to remind myself and fix my thoughts on all the things that are excellent and worthy in my life and within myself.

41. I do struggle daily with keeping my mind from becoming negative. So this is wonderful!! I love this verse as well!

42. Michelle says:

I accept the challenge to focus on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and admirable. It is easy for me to do this in the lives of others but hard for me to do this in my own life and circumstances. I like a challenge and I ACCEPT!

43. I am so glad that I signed up for this study. It gets better every week ad I am learning so much. One thing that I am trying to do to help me change my mindset is to memorize scripture. I am trying to find ones that I can do that can not only help me but help my kids. I encourage them to memorize with me.

44. Thanks Linda for the challenge. I am up for it as God reminded me how several years back when I was in a bad relationship, I actually learned how to be more negative and pessimistic. I commit to keeping my mind focused on the word of God and not allowing myself to take a situation and let worry turn it into a major stress in my mind. I have been doing this for a few years now and honestly…I am done with it. Love you ladies for how you are helping us out!

45. I accept this challenge as well! I’m struggling with many things and I need to be true to myself first and foremost before I am able to move forward with giving it to God. It’s hard to give something to God when you don’t know what it is! I am asking God to open my eyes to this and help me through this chapter!

46. I accept this challenge!! My biggest problem right now is not neccesarily (sp) my attitude, but my complaining. My health is not good right now, and I just had some major back pain surface again. I find myself complaining alot and moaning and groaning. I wrote out a prayer to God and I have it posted in a place where it is staring me in the face the majority of the day. That is how I will keep myself accountable.

47. Danielle McIntosh says:

I accept the challenge and I will ask my hubby and son to do the same. I will write Philippians 4:8 down and I love Philippians 4:7 about the peace that surpasses all understanding…I have been reacting lately and thinking negatively and then I feel more stress so I will put in my mind a positive thought and believe people are not coming from a bad place and I shall forgive them…

48. I often have thoughts that are negative towards myself or others. I would like to use this verse to chase after God’s character and focus on Him because He is worthy of praise. I have resolved to counter every negative thought with a promise or encouragement from God’s Word…truth about who I am with Him.

49. Deanne G. says:

I”m learning to be stimulated by a challenge rather than overwhelmed. This week I will accept your challenge to think on what is true, noble, and pure. One of the most valuable tools for me in monitoring my thoughts and guarding my mind is God’s Word. I plan to refect on our memory verse from Phil. 4:8 often. In addition, I will seek time daily to immerse myself in God’s Word and to spend time in the Presence of the Living Word, Jesus. Thank you for a great start to our week. I am so excited about reading Chapter 7 and learning more about confronting our giants.

50. I except the challenge to claim Philippians 4:8 this week. I will have my husband keep me accountable and will post this verse on my bathroom mirror!