May 28

SLL Week 8, Day 2

SLL Ch 8 Pin Graphic

Click here to share or pin our Memory Verse Graphic this week.

Since I kind of overloaded you yesterday, I’m keeping it short and sweet today :)

Continue to work on the Day 1 Bible study.  How are you doing on memorizing Psalm 22:4-5?

Memory Verse
Note cards: Write this verse on a few note cards and place them in areas where you will see it often.
“__ ___ ___ _______ ___ _____ trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed.”
~ Psalm 22:4-5

Can you fill in the blanks?

Begin reading Chapter 8, Addicted to Addrenaline, if you haven’t already and if you’ve already completed yesterday’s work.  After you read the chapter, answer the reflection questions at the end. Come back to the OBS blog and share any a-ha moments, favorite quotes, and insights.Remember, Share your thoughts and you could win a P31 Real Life Bible and our next OBS book, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God!
Have a beautiful day as we continue in “Chapter 8 and we’re feelin’ great!”

Outline of Week 8
Week 8, Day 1 Bible Study

Comments

1. Lynn Graham says:

WEEK 8 DAY 2 : I picked question two. what catergory I see myself in is the accomplisher. I don’t need to change anything because I’m doing just fine getting everything done that I need to do and more.

2. LInda G says:

I am definitely defined as the accomplisher. Before I would go to work each day, I would psyche myself up, rev myself up, and go in and multi-task. The more I did, the more work they put on my plate. I was working 60 hours a week only to go home from work, take a bite of something, and drop into bed for the night only to get up at 4am, get to work by 6:30am or so, and start the whole cycle over. NOT A HEALTHY CHOICE! I do not recommend this to anyone – I had resigned from the job and went back to college to get my degree. I am now doing what God has directed me to do (as I have prayed asking him what am I to do) and the answer to that was obvious as I am currently taking care of my special needs granddaughter with much pleasure. I imagine my husband and I will be raising her into adulthood. This is what God wants us to do and we must go with it. NO ROOM in my life to try to be the accomplisher any longer.
    As I read that page, I felt I was reading about myself. WOW!

• Michele aka Mickie from St Hgts Michigan says:

Awesome!!!! God bless u both… We have an autistic
      grdson n we try n stay in touch w him often as he
      is in Cali n we r jan Mich… I’m becoming an achiever
      I believe n feel God wants me to b getting involved in
      the autism program n in 2 weeks I’m relaying in our
      city’s Relay For Life…..making a difference in
      someone’s life is my goal/feeling it is Gods plan
      for me…. I will b keeping u both n your grdau in my
      prayers n I’m reading chapter 8 am really starting to
      feel great!!! God bless all my online bible study
      sisters… Have n make it a great week ‘Feeling Great’

• Nancy Dye says:

This chapter made me realize that I have much honest soul searching to o. Why? I completely relate to what Linda G says above insofar as being The Accomplisher. Unfortunately I am ALSO a Personal Deflector and in some instances, an Organization Deflector. I’m home for a few weeks recovering from a double mastectomy so I have time to spend with God to work through these issues with Him. Yes, I feel closer to the Lord as anyone else will when they spend time GOING TO HIM and realize that I need some concentrated morning devotion when I return to work. Thank you Tracie Miles for this eye opening book and to Melissa Taylor for bringing the book to life through OBS. I look forward to the next one OBS.

• I just read through your comment and said a prayer for you to recover quickly. Blessings!

• Rebecca says:

Mine is the accomplisher too. That was an aha moment for me too.

• I too am an accomplisher. My life sounds exactly what yours used to be. I am in need of a change, just not sure how to do it. I am praying and see God working on me.
      You are awesome, what a blessing! I am glad that God has blessed you with the ability to raise your granddaughter. :-)

3. I really enjoyed this chapter. As I was reading the story of Tracie’s daughter falling from the attic, I couldn’t help but think what it must be like for her daughter to know that God intervened to save her life. As I was contemplating this, I ‘heard’ God’s still small voice, “You, too, have been rescued.” How true is that!! God intervened for every single one of us; He gave His Son for us.

“When we seek his deliverance, like David did, God first gives us the strength to persevere, then he provides the rescue.” – p 169

I loved this!

4. I gain my strength from walking with him everyday. It’s the daily obedience that allows me to walk in his peace when I am faced with doubt, fear, Illness, stress, or in what I can not see. It is his strength that I find when I am weak or when I feel down on my self. It his words, that I read, that remind me of his unfailing Love and his desire to have a personal loving relationship with me. I need to learn to rely on his strength and not my own. I need to remember That his wings will help me soar through the stress busters in my life. I need to realize that It is his gentle heart that will fill mine so I can deal with the painful situations that arise and that I can find rest for my soul. For I am nothing apart from God. If I believe, I act, then I live to serve. I will live to have this longing to be obedient to what he is calling. Which today is to trust and to draw my strength from HIM the armor that I must wear! HIS WORD and the truth.

• This is beautiful, thank you for sharing! Good reminders. Praying for blessings for you! :)

• Michele aka Mickie from St Hgts Michigan says:

God bless u…. So beautifully written n really
      made me think….

• Sondra Ratliff says:

Such great insights, thank you.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Absolutely! Beautiful. Praying we all draw from His strength and truly dig in His Word and store it in our hearts.

5. Pat (OBS small group leader) says:

The very first page: “The world today has become so fast paced that any deviance from busyness is actually viewed as sinful.” (page 157)

When I first became a Christian 19 years ago and began to immerse myself in church activities, I was amazed at how many Christian women were always too busy for relationships. Their busyness came from PTO, school activities, sports activities, church activities, family obligations, jobs, etc. Sadly, some even seemed to wear this busyness as a badge of honor. I prayerfully turned down a PTO position when I realized I was doing way too much.

My kids are grown and out on their own now, and I hope and pray that we were good examples to them by allowing only one sport, one other school activity and then Wednesday/Sunday church activities. We are now in a church where we focus on building relationships, both inside and outside the church, and are no longer consumed by busyness.

A former “accomplisher”–

• Janet F says:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Marlene says:

Pat, I love that!! I am right there with you. Stepped back a few years ago (as my kids also graduated) from the business that being a stay at home mom involved in school activities can bring, and am trying to learn to build those relationships in my church and surrounding community that will affect lives for Christ.

• Natalie says:

‘Each day when we get out of bed, we have a choice to make about where our strength will come from to face the day ahead. Will we rely on ourselves or will be rely on God? Will we try to rely on our human strength to persevere, or will we seek the strength that God provides to our spirits, enabling us to get through even the most painful of days?’

This is my take away! This week I started a three week secondment covering a high level admin position. I’ve found myself spun out trying to do this job as every task ahead of me is something I have no built up knowledge about.

I recall a moment in my day today where I was inadequate to handle the situation. I made a choice to give up my distress and request to God to intervene. As I re-read the above quote from the book, I re-call the situation and realised that God did intervene. I’m so grateful for His provision today. It hasn’t meant that my day has been easy, but God was with me through my day even if I didn’t realise it straight away.

From a 70% Accomplisher and 30% Dramatist. xo

6. As another “Accomplisher”, I am learning that if I don’t submit my requests or desires for an activity to God first, and then listen, really listen to His answer, I find must all too easily caught up in that cycle of busyness.

I so appreciated how Tracie pointed out the passage from Deuteronomy (on pgs. 170, 171) and reminded us that our strength to do what needs to be done only comes from full obedience to God. That passage of this chapter is really lodging in my heart and all the right ways.

7. It’s sad but have become one of those people who has to be doing something all the time. To the point where if I do nothing I don’t know how to do it. Or even worse when I stop I don’t know what to do with my kids cause I don’t know how. That’s when I knew something had to change. I have a word that I am focusing on and it is being intentional. Intentional about time with God, intentional for time with kids , intentional about finances and on and on. So it’s crazy how God is reprogramming my life in how He wants me to live rather that me doing as much as I could handle. I was starting to drown. All these verses have been amazing and life changing.

• Thank you for sharing this, I love the insight of using the word “intentional” for everything. I need to be intentional about how I use my time, intentional about the words I use, etc etc. I am glad God is reprogramming your life, it’s a beautiful thing when He does! Praying for more blessings for you :)

• Karen R. says:

Oh yes! I love it! Intentional is a great word to apply to everything as Natalie said! Intentional in parenting, intentional in making God a priority, intentional in listening! I am in a very slow process of retraining my life too!

Karen,
      You are absolutely right. I used to just wait for God to work and I would say so where are you Lord. We have to be intentional. We have a part too. Yes, we are saved by grace alone but we need to draw close to our Lord and Savior.

8. Chapter 8 is great. I am definitely the accomplisher!! I would get stressed out by just looking or thinking about my ‘to-do’ lists. (yes, there was always more than one!)

Since starting this study, I have stopped writing to-do list. I have even gone as far as trying to stop thinking in those terms. Instead I am starting each day off with God and asking him what he wants me to do today. This works most days, there have been some when I have questioned his reply (old habits are hard to break!!).

Spending an hour with God and then another 20 mins walking to work has allowed me to really focus on what is important to God. Yes, there are somethings that I must do as my boss or others need this info, but there is not as much anxiety about getting it done on their schedule, but referring back to God’s schedule.

I’m still a work in process, but I can so feel the difference. And so can my family. I absolutely love it when my 9-yr old son comes up to me and says “I’m so glad that you are happy, Mommy!” Never realized how much my stress affected him.

Thank you God for your Word, this study and the women who are involved. I am blessed!

• Thank you for sharing this! Love that your son shared his joy at your happiness and that you can know God will use this in his life as well. God bless you !

• I am so glad that I am not the only one with more than one “to-do” lists. Thank you so much for sharing. I need to stop the lists too.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Wow! That is a beautiful testimony on how God is really working in your life. Praise Him for that. Praise Him that He loves us so much! Thank you for sharing and for a timely reminder for myself. I get out of bed and instantly start worrying about all the stuff I need to do. That needs to change. God needs to be first and I must be intentional on making Him FIRST.

9. Another “Accomplisher” here, I am afraid.

I don’t write my lists down…. (somehow I have always felt guilty about that). Instead, I make mental lists- Today I need to…… 1, 2, 3……

Thankfully, I put my Bible study first. I do it in the mornings, usually before the rest of my family is up and about. That helps put me in a God mindset. I still have a little guilty twinge when something that I wanted to get done, doesn’t.

I have only read the first half of the chapter and I am pretty sure the remaining half will continue to offer great insights.

• what a great idea…doing your study before the family gets up. How quiet and still your lessons must be. I am going to try this. Thank you!

10. Janet F says:

It looks like a lot of us are accomplishers! I too am one and saw myself so many times in this chapter. “Like do you have a hard time focusing?” Page 162. WOW,boy do I. I sometimes feel like I have so many things on my to do list my mind is racing on what to do first. I will say however, if I put God first in my day, He somehow helps me to accomplish my list. I am trying to slow down and listen to His voice more and these OBS’s are helping me to do that. Thank you Proverbs 31!!! :)
    I loved the story of the Rescuer!!! We serve and AWESOME GOD!!!

Matthew 11:28-29 (NIV)
    “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

• I always love your posts, and your energy and enthusiasm! :) This is so true: “I will say however, if I put God first in my day, He somehow helps me to accomplish my list.” I know if I do not start my day with Him, my whole day is just “off!” Praying for blessings for you! :)

• Sondra Ratliff says:

You are on track, I didnt know I was such a “Rescuer” until I retired. Dito on thanking Proverbs 31 for the OLBS, and thank you Janet F.

• Janet F says:

Thank you Natalie and you’re welcome Sondra!! I love all you OBS girls!!! ♥♥♥

11. Paige Ward says:

When I saw this chapter, I thought it didn’t apply to me. I was so wrong! I just read “Is There Hope for Me?” and I now know it does apply. Hi, my name is Paige and I am an Accomplisher. The making a list and crossing it off describes me to a T; I have a horrible time sitting down and resting because I feel like I am wasting time. I pray God opens my eyes because “I feel trapped by my lifestyle and have no idea how t escape.” But I want to.

• Paige – I am right there with you! My days have become so busy that I could not survive and remember everything without a list. Part of this problem may be a season of life that our family is in right now with many extra appointments and special needs for two of the kids. I am praying for God to show us both the path to a less stressful lifestyle…in my bible, part of this week’s reflection verse is phrased “to you they cried out and they ESCAPED”…may we put our trust in God and we will not be disappointed.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Praying that God opens your eyes, sweet sister. He is here with you. Thank you for your raw honesty and sharing your heart with your sisters today.

12. Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader) says:

This chapter reminds me of the movie my daughter and I watched this weekend where the lady was in the bed and writing her “to do” lists and they were being typed in color on the ceiling. Would not have made an impact on me had I not been reading this chapter. That’s me laying awake at night thinking about all that has to be done. I’m doing better. Now it does not bother me if my plans get changed. I can deviate from the “to do” list and not feel stressed. I totally rely on God and if something happens and there is an emergency, a death in the church, my adult kids call and want to do something, my husband wants to do something well that is just “awesome” and from God and I drop it and just move those “to do” things to another day. It’s not a big deal -life is a big deal and I choose to enjoy life and not let a list get me down………

13. I’m having trouble moving on to chapter 8. I’m still stuck pondering the truths revealed in the last chapter. I am a do-er, a problem solver, and I often fight the giants in my own strength. Even as I pray and ask God to fight my battles, I’m coming up with plans, that may or may not be from God, of how to solve the problem. I can see that my Giants, (kids’ walks with The Lord, marriage struggles, health issues), need to be turned over to God. Period. Hands off.
    “The Lord will fight for you. You need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14.
    Now, I need to move on to chapter 8!

• I am so with you in this “hands off” and letting God!! It is a constant struggle but I am asking for Jesus to help me with it. He very gently whispers in my ear and nudges me when I try to do it by myself!! Through talking to a Christian counselor, I am aware of how I learned the ability of taking care of everything at a very early age so that I could receive love and approval from my parents. Jesus is showing me His way now!!

• Sondra Ratliff says:

Karen, you have made great strides, you are able and capable. I an 61, and have a knowledge, understanding that a Christian Counselor is someone in which I need to invest time. Praying for GOD’s strenght and guidance in that direction. Thank you for the encouragement.

Lorie,
      Right with you, sister. Sometimes, it is hard to tell if God is telling us to do something or if it is the flesh talking. You are exactly right that is when we need to pray for discernment, wisdom, and truth. This usually requires waiting and sometimes a lot. Thank you for sharing this and reminding me of Exodus 14:14 today!

• Janet F says:

I love that verse Lorie, thanks for sharing it!!!

14. Courtney says:

So….. I didn’t realize I had a problem until chapter 8! As noted on pager 157, the world today has become so fast paced that any deviance from busyness is actually viewed as sinful. AMEN! I seriously thought it was not okay to have down time unless I was sleep! And being a stay at home wife and dog mommy makes it worse. I feel the need to stay moving and doing things all the time to feel accomplished. Even when the house is clean, the bills are paid, errands are complete, and dinner is cooked, I will walk around to find something to do. It’s like a sin to sit and rest! I am so the accomplisher with all my sticky notes and list! Its like I get a rush to take my red pen and cross off a task! After this chapter, I’m learning its okay to have downtime! The only thing that I must do daily is spend time with God.

Hi Courtney,
      I understand exactly where you are coming from. Being a stay at home mom and wife (like myself) definitely makes it difficult. I mean we have a standard to live up to and since we are home all the time we should be able to get so much done 😉 (insert sarcasm) I actually have been asked by an outside family member why I couldn’t get more done. I have sticky notes everywhere we well. I never thought it a sin to sit and rest but felt like I was failing my family and not living up to my calling. I am praying for you to be able to rest and rest in His Presence. This is new to me but it has been life changing. I mean to truly REST in our Father’s Presence as daughters of the Most High! Praise Him that we can even do this. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your heart with us today!

15. Michelle Cornthwaite says:

“John 9:4 says, “We must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent us. The night is coming, and then no one can work.” Here we see Jesus telling his disciples that they were to be busy with God’s business. Not just busy with impressive acts of service but busy using their time wisely and in big and small ways in their everyday lives that would glorify God”
    This is definitely my favorite at the moment, how sad and scary— “”The night is coming”” and then it will be too late to spread the news!!!
    Jesus is coming soon and I’m too busy just getting on with my life and there is a world out there that haven’t heard— TIME to get up and GO wherever HE leads!
    It’s time to OUT-LIVE, enough in-living for me, Lord help me to be your hands and feet .

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Absolutely. Thank you for this reminder. I needed to hear this right at this second. We are drawn to God by the Word of God. Pretty amazing that the sinner hears, learns, and comes as God draws them. I guess it is important to “spread the Good News.” I am praying we all seize the opportunities God gives us to share His Word with others.

• Janet F says:

AMEN Michelle that is great!!

16. Making the choice everyday before I get out of bed as to where my strength will come from – myself or God. Going it alone, in our own strength, will simply make us weak. I love that God invites us in Matthew 11:28-29, to come to Him and He will give us rest, both physically and emotionally. I am going to challenge myself to do this everyday this week. I long to fully rely on God’s strengths and not try to tackle what life throws at me on my own.

17. Michelle Cornthwaite says:

I’m definitely having this printed poster size and hanging up in my home!
    Thank You Father for this word!
    His desire is that we come to understand the importance of walking with him every day, because that is where we gain our strength. If you are trying to be strong in adversity and in good times based solely on your own strength, skills, or knowledge, then stress is the only possible outcome. You do not have the power within to maintain the strength needed to persevere, and you will soon find that real rest and relaxation seem unattainable.
    God instructs us to obey in the big things, of course, but also in our small, seemingly insignificant daily thoughts and actions. This obedience infuses us with a spiritual strength that equips us to handle those tough situations that are far beyond our human level of strength to handle, regardless of whether we are in the hospital bed or standing beside it.
    This daily obedience is where we find the infusion of emotional strength that allows us to walk in his peace when we face doubts and fears. Strength to walk in his joy when we cannot find any reason to be joyful. Strength to stand firm in our faith when things seem hopeless. And strength to be strong when the painful things of life are taking their toll on our hearts.
    Most importantly, our desire to walk with God on a daily basis gives us the strength to not only acknowledge that changes need to be made but to believe that he will provide the strength and the wisdom to decipher which changes we need.
    Each day when we get out of bed, we have a choice to make about where our strength will come from to face the day ahead. Will we rely on ourselves or will we rely on God? Will we try to rely on our human strength to persevere, or will we seek the strength that God provides to our spirits, enabling us to get through even the most painful of days? Will we continue to assume that if we try hard enough we will have the power to change or make changes happen, or will we realize that God, and God alone, possesses the power to do so?
    Father God come and take over!!!

18. Katrina says:

On pg 160, Tracie writes about adrenaline addicts possessing “an insatiable sense of urgency.” This gave me a good chuckle because in my adrenaline junkie days, the company I worked for actually had “works with a sense of urgency” as one of the things they rated their managers in for their reviews and raises. I had always prided myself in rating high in this quality. Everything she’s pointed out is who I was, and shedding this frame of mind has been the hardest part in letting go of that part of my life since I quit working. Even after all these yrs, my mind is still deceived into believing at times that I need that level of busyness because it makes me feel alive, but in truth, when I quit, it had gotten so bad, I didn’t feel alive at all. I felt like a robot.

19. Formerly 3/4 accomplisher and 1/4 personal defector and currently 1/4 accomplished and 1/8 personal deflector and the rest a growing child of God! My Mom is a Type A in bold font! She is the poster child of the working Mom who was a child of the depression. She was all work little play and was the hardest working person inside and outside the home. When I was a young kid in the 60s there weren’t tons of working Moms but mine did as much or more at home as any Mom I knew. With her as my model I brought that with me to adulthood. As a working Mom myself I felt like I had to be the same way or I wasn’t doing my part. I was not quite as wound tight as my Mom since I didn’t bring childhood memories of depression along with me as she did. Just recently at age 53 I see that some of the things I learned from Mom aren’t serving me well in adulthood. Every minute and every activity of the day does not have to be productive! It is not a sin to rest and to play and to just BE and not DO. After all we are human beings not human doings.
    I love my Mom dearly and all that she taught me. But learning which things serve me well and which things don’t is a process that takes time. Learning that I am not dishonoring my sweet 81 yr old Mom when I don’t continue some things she taught me has taken time. Now I am more focused on the lessons my two adult daughters are learning from me. I want them to be hard workers which they are. I also want them to play, relax, rest, be vulnerable at times and quit being Superwoman, practice self care, quit comparing to others, know that you don’t get a badge for being the busiest woman on the block, sit at the feet of Jesus before you fall apart and not just after and always remember that BUSY means Being Under Satan’s Yoke!

20. Bree (OBS FB Team Leader) says:

The story about Tracie’s daughter falling, but remained unharmed was very powerful for me. It displayed that we shouldn’t doubt God or His love.

“He will shield you with his wings. He will shelter you with his feathers. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.” (Psalm 91:4)

21. Katrina says:

“The world today has become so fast paced that any deviance from busyness is actually viewed as sinful.” pg 157

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen for this lie from the enemy! It’s very hard for me not to be plagued by guilt when I’m not busy being busy. He deceives me into believing I’m being lazy and am worthless whenever I’m not keeping up the pace that the world calls for.

But God’s Word tells me differently. I love Psalm 39: 5-7 that Tracie qoutes on pg 165; particulary the part “all our busy rushing ends in nothing.”

22. I am a deflector. One or both. I have just started to slow down a bit. for past 4 years working crazy hours. To stay afloat I told people. Partly true, mostly so I wouldn’t have to face being alone at home all the time. If I was working had no time to go on a date. Meet someone and get hurt again.
    I have slowed down a bit, but I had a horrible day yesterday(actually called off work) sat around and cried. Didn’t accomplish a thing at home, just wallowed in why I was alone.

23. Wow, this chapter Definately defines what I’ve become, an adrenaline junkie. It is hard for me to just set still and do nothing. I’m gone from home around 10-12 hrs per day, due to work and my drive to work. When I get home I’m cooking, cleaning, washing, etc. I feel like I don’t have much time to stop and rest.
    When I started this study, I carved time out each night through the week to do this study. I go soak in my tub and read for 30 min to 1 hr. It has helped me a lot. I was already getting up early to do my quiet time, but needed more time in the evenings. Sometimes we need to schedule time to be with God, or else it might not get done.
    I’ve enjoyed my quiet time in the evenings. I want to continue with this after the study.

Toni,
      You are exactly right. I have to be intentional in pursuing my relationship with my Father. It is one thing to read/study and another to truly dwell in His Presence. Thank you for sharing.

24. I am LOL so hard right now it hurts! When I read this verse Sunday evening it really didn’t touch me — I just didn’t “get it.” However, I went ahead and began to commit it to memory. Then on yesterday’s Facebook page, when I saw the verse written with the blank spaces, I got the “AHA” moment. Of course! I was supposed to personalize it like we did in one of the early weeks. I inserted the childhood nicknames of my 4 grandparents in the blanks instead of “our fathers”. These wonderful people who were all born well over a century ago were wonderfully good God-fearing Christians; truly the most amazing role models any little girl could have. And then the scripture totally made an impression on me… and made my heart sing to think that I was following their example. When I saw today’s Facebook post and realized that the blanks were simply a tool to help memorize the verse, I had to laugh. My own misunderstanding had really been a blessing!

Susan,
      Love it. Don’t you love how God works. That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

25. TABITHA JONES says:

WEll when I started reading this chapter I first thought none of this applies to me I just need go back and focus on chapter 7 but one I got to page 164 God stopped me in my tracks. It is hard for me to admit but I am a Dramatist. I have been praying ever since I read this part. I first read it and kept moving on and God spoke to me and said you need to go back and read that again that is you. I don’t complain to anyone but my husband but I still complain about the task I have gotten myself into. I pray the Lord helps me get passed this. I want to be a better person.
    Last night I was sitting on the couch reading my bible and my husband was being all nice and stuff and he said I can really see you are trying to change and I am proud of you for that. It made me cry, because without my OBS I would have never really took a look at my life like I have the past few months. Today I celebrate my 20th anniversary with my husband and without God in our lives we would have never made it. When we got married we had several folks to tell us we would not make it long, but with God in the center it works perfectly as he has planned.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Congratulations on your anniversary! Praise God that He is using OBS to transform you and renew your mind. That is such a blessing to hear. Thank you for sharing.

• Jessica says:

Fellow “Dramatist” right here! Phew! Glad to read that there is another one in our OBS land!

26. Renee D. says:

I guess I am “not” alone after all in this adrenaline seeker! After reading posts above, I am not as hesitant to also say that I seek that adrenaline, but never really realized it…until now! I am probably parts of all the types that were described in Ch. 8, but in realizing this I feel that I can see where I need to let God all throughout my life and days to get back on track. I had a break down in praying for God to rescue me (pg 169). I am thankful that I wrote down my prayer as well, so that I know what my heart is asking for and praying for God to release me from these things I have no control over. I know all my minor issues revolve around the biggest issue: TRUST! I am praying through this bible study & all the word I am getting daily, can open my eyes to see what God promises us. Praying for you all! Be blessed Ladies :-)

27. Rebecca says:

Mine is def. the accomplisher too. I always want to get everything done and check off the list. This chapter was def. an eye opener.

28. Phyllis Wiley says:

My name is Phyllis and I am a grateful believer in Jesus Christ and I am an adrenaline addict. Ouch – it really hurts to say that! I am 57 years old and I am just realizing that I don’t know how to have down time. I instilled it in my children, but never applied it to myself. I was worried that people would see me as lazy (I can still hear my dad saying that to me, only lazy people can’t find something to do!!) So I always multitask! If I am watching TV – I at least have my knitting going. So this chapter is going to be life saver/life changer for me. I am looking forward to a new normal! My goal for the remainder of the week is to just have one to do list and it will only have major things that I need to accomplish at work!

29. Mona Nash says:

I wanted to comment on the “Trust” element of this chapter. I was one who always trusted “people”. I got so burned on “Christian people” in the past 6 years that I didn’t want to even worship with them. This chapter brought out that the only one I needed to trust is my Heavenly Father. I have stressed over this so many years but now I really have to put it all in perspective.
    I am in so need of Jesus’ rest – Mat. 11:28-29- from even the trust factor. Then I will gain my peace in my heart. Praise God for the love he has for me.

Hi Mona,
      Praying Jesus’ rest for you, sweet sister. Praise God that you realized He is all you need to trust. What a blessing. Thank you for your honesty.

30. It looks like I’m in good company of being an “accomplisher.” Over the last couple of years, a leadership role became vacant at our church, and I felt God leading me to help with that position. The more I became involved in that position, the more needs I saw, and the more I took on. I began teaching an extra class (because no one else would do it– not because I felt led), and other duties. My intentions were good; I was sincerely trying to serve God in areas I felt He had gifted me. But then my teaching partner backed down, and then a couple of my own children were needing me more. My plate suddenly felt too full and burn-out began to set in. I resigned my duties and decided to take a breather and focus on my relationship with God. At first, it was hard because I was so used to a fast pace, but I knew it was what God wanted me to do. Telling people “no” is not my strong-point, but God has showed me that doing good things is not always a good thing. By His grace and continued guidance, I am seeking His direction before taking on commitments because He has a plan, and I can trust Him more than I can myself!

Teresa,
      Praise God! It is not easy to say no. It is not easy to give up what started out as building you up and serving God. It is by far not easy. Praise God that He enabled you to focus on Him.

31. I still need to make my verse cards for this week. I took your advice the first week of the bible study and wrote 3 cards out with the bible verse for the week. 1 – for my bathroom mirror. 1 – for my car. 1 – for my office. I also made another one for my husband, though I don’t think he is studying his quite as diligently as I am. This has been great! I always highlight the actual verse so I can spot it amongst any notes that I decide to add to the card to help me understand the meaning. I’ve memorized all the verses so far. I truly appreciate your efforts to help me to memorize the scriptures. You have no idea how many times I have quoted these scriptures over the last 7 weeks. Prior to this bible study, I didn’t have any verses memorized. Thanks so much!

Denise,
      That is so awesome. We must have the Armor of God on. It is so important to memorize scripture. I didn’t realize the extent of that until I started OBS. Thank you for sharing and Praise God for the work He is doing in you.

32. Insanity, doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results…I say this to my kids everyday! Yet when I was in the first reflection question I realized, I do the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Yikes, (practice what you preach mom, comes to mind) what a reality check for me.

33. We were talking in my small group about being too busy to spend time with God. That was convicting for me. Though, I am doing better at taking in the quiet moments God gives me. Since I was a child though my family and I have always been on the go between my weekly physical therapy, choir/church, and my brother’s activities we never stopped. I think that’s when I started becoming The Accomplisher junkie.

• I appreciate what you had to say. I have gained a trust issue that I didnt have before and also before I started working outside the home, I really had a desire to get into the Word. My previous job and trying to do too much has made me an adrelaine junkie, but I hit the point where I had to do something and I am slowly coming back. I think I had become the personal deflector through it all. I had surgery on my foot on Friday and couldnt do hardly anything this weekend and it was hard, but it was an eye opener for me too. It is good to see that I am not alone.

34. Myrtle Cash says:

Love OBS really helps me keep in the word THANKS

35. In reading this chapter, I was completely brought to my knees and reminded I have not really given thought as to why I am an adrenaline junkie. In seeking His heart to redirect my path in this matter. This posting sums up am unchanged life of mine…..

Friends who know me are completely aware that I have a catharsis about every six months. Reflecting upon my own life, I write simply as a point to ponder for anyone who wants to join in my insanity. Fundamentally, one must ask the question, “What if God were too busy?”

We rushed into Tyler this weekend and found ourselves arriving late to our nephew’s soccer game. Caught in traffic and obsessed with being on time, I was mad for being too busy Friday night to prepare to leave early Saturday morning. As the weekend wrapped up, I sat with my mother-in-law planning the next “monthly” family meeting. Comparing calendars, we found the end of July to be suitable. Our families are going to be too busy with trips, baseball, weddings and reunions to get the immediate family together.

After the weekend events, we pulled into the nursing home where my mom has spent the better part of ten years now. I asked my son to “run the check in” to pay her beautician because I knew I had loads of laundry to do, my son had homework, Mark had bills to pay and Maddy needed to get her bath and ready for bed. I
    was too busy to drop in and put my arms around my mom, if even for a moment.

This next week is planned out with very late nights on the job, leaving my family to do their busy projects and homework without me unitl later in the evening. We rush through the week to the weekend and then rush through the weekend with our activities, brief hello to God on Sunday mornings, a quick prayer at dinner and quick hugs as we pass in the den each morning.

I had a huge heaviness overwhelm my heart a month ago. We were out with friends and upon riding to a town close by to spend time with busy activities, the conversation was akin to “every mile is a memory.” My friend shared every memory of every place that was meaningful to her. Local stores, restaurants, streets, homes, hospitals, etc. I sought within every ounce of me to “recollect” the very things in my own life and the upbringing of my own children and I was unable to generate even a dozen significant memories for my family and myself. It was then that the realization that I have busied myself to oblivion consumed me.

All of the above being said, I would ask those of you who really do follow me in my personal and professional world to ask yourself the very things that have gone through my mind. Sadly, I do not have the resolve to turn it around quickly. I can only lift it up in prayer that God will not be “too busy” to hear because I have certainly not set the example of one who is still and ready for Him.

WAS I TOO BUSY WHEN…?

I awoke in this morning to hug my kids as I walked out the door? Think again as one day they will not expect it anymore.

I thought of calling a sister, brother, mother or father but knew the discussion would simply be too deep or painful, superficial or brass? Be careful, a missed call may be your last.

My family was discussing the ups and downs of their day? I suspect email and texting may have explained it away.

We were rushing from one activity to the next and filling up the calendar with things to do? Teaching our kids that going places and doing things is more important than health renewed.

Extended family is first after all appointments and events have been honored and attended? Time for family is simply an afterthought, leaving hurt that cannot be mended.

You worked too late and went to the gym and reduced relationships with friends to texting on a whim or offered to be there simply when in need? Genuine friendships will be reduced to convenience if they are founded upon availability and heed.

WHAT IF GOD….?

Decided to listen after the DVR show was complete?
    Let us know that He could squeeze us in his calendar next week?
    Rushed through his miracles as quickly as we say our prayers?
    Utilized Facebook as His means to share?

WHAT IF OUR CHILDREN GROW UP…

NOT visiting us in our old age because they have no time?
    TWEETING their love on Thursday at nine?
    MISSING out on valuable friendships because social networking replaces genuine connections?
    LEARNING that families are a means for delayed and displaced affection?

I am not saying the we are wrong to be busy. I am simply sharing my thoughts and my own guilt for what I have taught my kids about the importance of BUSINESS over THEM. My remorse for not taking time with family members and who were not validated by ME being THERE for them. My emptiness for not giving GOD the reverence HE deserves. My sadness for the world that is consumed with ACTIVITY BASED replacements for genuine time, communication and relationships. The “sit down to dinner moments, the pray together nights, the time for one another friendships because you WANT to…not NEED to, the simple moments when a loved one is cherished and no regrets befall our soul upon their passing, the validation of cohorts at work, and a simple deep breath over a sigh,” are all choices to BE BUSY or to BE THERE.

36. Wow! Lots of accomplishers! I am in good company! I am learning to slow down and take more time although I still have areas I tend to push myself to be the over achiever. To all the stay at home moms and young women doing this Bible study: Learn this lesson earlier than I did. I sit here tonight and wonder if in many ways it is too late for me. I may be able to personally take a break but I cannot undo the damage done with the time taken from my children. Praying tonight that God will redeem the years the locusts have eaten for me. Don’t let the locust eat your years!

• Judie…it is never too late to change. Yes, the Lord can redeem the years the locusts ate. I too look back and see where I neglected so many things but as you just did by typing your comment, you let the young women see the importance of how we spend our time. Isn’t that what Titus 2 is all about? Sharing with others. I once told my daughter that she could never say I didn’t teach her anything because if I taught her what not to do then I taught her something. We can be transparent and share our mistakes and things we have learned with the younger women so that they won’t make the same mistakes we did. That is an older woman’s responsibility and privilege before God. A friend of mine always says “Keep on keeping on!”

37. I am an accomplished. I spend all my spare time doing something. I feel guilty if I sit down and just spend quiet time. I usually fall asleep because I’m exhausted. I always start my day with my daily devotions, but I then get crazy with all the things on y to o list and what I see needs to be done. I have some work to do!

38. I’ve always been comforted by reading scripture in the past but somehow Psalm 22 really touched me. I have been working on trust and getting better since starting the this study and have taken some big steps in overcoming some fears, even scheduled a couple of medical tests I’ve been putting off. I haven’t felt worthy of His love much, but this study is really helping to open my eyes as well as my heart. Been setting aside an hour each day, to just sit, read Gods word and reflect ( yes, I miss a day or so here and there). 4:00 is my time with God and I really value and look forward to that time. Thanks so much for sharing your spiritual journey and encouraging us to trust in the One who is truly worthy. God bless!

39. kim in ma says:

AAAAHHHH! Okay, so not only am I doing this wonderful online study, “Stressed LESS Living”, I’m also doing “Unglued” with my church ladies. So here we are Tuesday, and I’m sorry to say I haven’t even picked up the book! I just printed out the assignments & I am so going to try to catch up between tonight & Thursday….life just seems to be so busy right now.
    Please I’m asking for a special prayer for my cousin’s baby, Charlie. They brought him for his 6 month check up last week, and the doctor found a mass in his abdomen. It is nuroblastoma. They are still waiting for more results to see how far the cancer has spread. Please pray that God would perform a miracle so the family would know the power of the True and Living God as they are unbelievers, but know I have lots of people praying!

40. As I first read the memory verse for this week, I found myself wanting to sing it. It reminds me( and maybe even is the origin of) the song, “Let the Praises Ring” by Lincoln Brewster. Check it out on youtube, the chorus is similar to this verse in my opinion. Love it! I tried to copy and paste here but unable to. I like the version with the black background and words in white print.

41. “We know you were there for our parents; they cried for your help and you gave it; they trusted and lived a good life.” Psalm 22: 4-5 MSG
    So I just wrote this verse down 3 times, 4 if you count the above. I can definitely tell that this verse is committing to my memory, but not because I can write it down and type it out without looking at my Bible. But because it is speaking to my heart so much this week that I was nearly brought to tears as I wrote and rewrote it this evening.
    Backstory: I love to coupon and I love to buy things for other people, especially when those people are in need. Last month, I asked God to lead me in a positive direction with my couponing that didn’t involve buyring things for myself. We have more than we need. My church does a monthly food give away and I asked the leader of the program if toiletries were being distributed. “No, but the people need them.” There was my answer. I started using my coupon and bargain skills to purchase all kinds of things I use everyday, but that these individuals may not have enough access to because it ain’t cheap at face value. Last month, I bought a variety of things to be distributed but this month, I really wanted to focus on oral care primarily and any leftover in my budget would go to shampoo, conditioner, and soap. I asked God Saturday night to please help me and give me the confidence to know that I am doing the right thing, and to actually do it right so that i can get as many things as I can for these people in my community. Boy did he ever. I start opening my adds and toothpaste and toothbrushes are on sale left and right. The best sale is going on until the 22nd of June, which will allow me to get a slew of toothpaste and toothbrushes for these people for barely anything! Once again, there was my answer. God knows me. He knows my brain. I mean He did make me, after all. If this wasn’t what I was meant to be doing I have no doubt He would’ve slammed the door right in my face. But I cried out for His help and He gave it. The result is not that I’m living a good life, but a greatly blessed life. And God, only God, can give that to me. I am eternally blessed by His patience, His grace, and most of all, His love. God bless and have a wonderful week! Love to you all!

42. Just arrived home from an extremely long day…it was busy! But a different kind of busy…not sure if beginning chapter 8 left me feeling differently or if it was just a calmer busy day? lol! Actually I did not have that adrenaline rush feeling all day as I went from one appt./mtg to the next…we will just have to see what tomorrow brings! Thanks Melissa! And thanks to Tracie for shedding a new light on our path as we leave our stress and seek His peace! Praise Jesus!

43. Marla Sjaardema says:

The Accomplisher- That is me the old me. I had a addiction to work, more work more money. I was busy, busy, to busy. I neglected my family, church, friends, and most of all to busy for God. I finally burnt out. My health got worse, put on weight, depression, anxiety, diabetes, and I hit rock bottom hard. Work was not fun, to stressful, to much drama, everything was terrible. I finally fell on my knees and cried, what is going on God? A light bulb, stop and smell the roses. Enjoy life God will provide. So I wrote my two week notice, and now I am enjoying the life that God wants me to live. I have a good friend that loves me for me. Thank you Lord for being there and not giving up on me. I can tell you anything, and you listen.

44. Constance says:

When I saw the title of this chapter I thought “that is not me!” but when I started reading I realised that I, too, am an adrenaline junkie – an accomplisher to some degree. Passages that spoke to me especially on page 164: “if the devil can’t hinder our relationship with God by making us immoral, he’ll simply make us busy .. and page 165: “Will I be proud to talk with God about how I spent most of my time on earth?”

This made me think – what is REALLY important in life? I am often far too busy to spend “proper” time with God, more than a quick prayer in the morning. Now lots of the busyiness is self-imposed. Do I really have to make all those homebaked goodies? It is nice but it sometimes stresses me out, trying to live up to friends’ and family’s standards of always making my own bread and cookies. I have four kids, two of them preschoolers. I don’t have much time to play with them – will they remember the home made cookies or the time spent playing with them more when they are older?

I have also overloaded myself with work. I work from home and have been taking on everything I was offered, without considering if my family or my relationship with the Lord would suffer. This was out of fear since hubby is bringing nothing in at the moment and the numbers just didn’t add up at the end of the month. The Lord had promised me He would provide, but I guess I didn’t TRUST him enough to say no to more work. There is the word again – Trust! A big issue for me, but I am learning to trust the Lord. Just LOVE this week’s verse. Been trying to memorise it but finding it quite hard to remember. I will work on it so that by the end of the week I have that verse etched in my brain!

45. I am such an accomplisher and am hoping soon this becomes past tense. As I was reading through the chapter my to-do’s just kept popping up in my head. What is more distressing to me is that I have for too often found my self-worth in the completion of these tasks instead of God. I am praying for a heart overhaul so that my new normal is seeing myself through His eyes not my check marks.

46. So far this Chapter is all about me. I never realized you could be addicted to being busy. But I am. I first heard of this notion when browsing book titles at the library and knew right away that described me. I’m glad I have the opportunity now to learn more. I think my biggest issue is feeling unproductive if I don’t get a million things done. I feel like a failure and like it was a wasted day. At the same time I know in my head if I just take a break, spend some time w/ God’s word, rest, etc. I will be rested, at peace, and much more productive. But I’m in the habit of constantly being busy, so I don’t even realize that I’m totally caught up in the pure completion of tasks. I guess it will just take time to create new habits.

47. Aubrey Carey says:

I love these “assignments”;) i am a day behind, but I am off to write this verse own on a few index cards.
    I feel like God is talking TO ME …almost every devotional, study, book I read lately has at least one verse focusing on trusting God- this happens to be my weakness and what I am praying for above all right now- TRULY giving my life to Him, fully trusting.

48. Teresa T says:

I am a little late of this but I just finished up Chapter 7 – These were the things that I took away ~
    Worrying cannot change a thing, but faith can change everything. p 148
    But friend, Jesus understands how you feel, even if it seems that no one else does. p 149
    Ps 43:5 – Why am I discouraged: Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again – my Saviour and My God!
    Hebrews 13:5 – Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.
    Giants are big. Giants are ugly. Giants are scary. But in God’s eyes, all giants are beatable. Because God is bigger. p 154 — which made me think of the VeggieTale song God is bigger then the boogey man – bigger then Godzilla or the monsters on TV :)

49. One particular part of this chapter that really resonated with me was this sentence: “I once heard an old cliche that said, ‘if the devil can’t hinder our relationship with God by making us immoral, he’ll simply make us busy.'”

I find this to be so very true. I’m the type of person who always has a running to-do list. I have a lot I like to try to accomplish each day, and most of the time it doesn’t get done. Also, many of the important things, like having quiet time with our Lord, gets pushed to the back burner because “it will take too long”. So sad. I recently read from either a commenter or on one of the blog posts that this person starts her day everyday with God first. By doing this, she said she always feels like her day goes so much more smoothly, and she can get more accomplished. I’ve been trying to institute that idea myself, and so far I would agree that it’s working. Even if I don’t get it all checked off my to-do list, I know I had my quiet time and that’s the main thing that matters most!

Since I moved to DC nearly 7 years ago, I’ve struggled with juggling the busyness in my life. I think part of it is a product of living in this major city with long commutes, but also part of it is my priorities being misaligned. I pray that God reveals to me the areas in my life which I need to let go of, especially now more than ever, as we anxiously await the arrival of our daughter over the next 3 weeks!

So thankful for this study!

50. Melanie Shannon says:

Funny how we think, oh this chapter won’t apply to me but as I started reading……Oh Father God how many times have you shaken your head at me and said “Oh my dear Melanie, we have so much work yet to do!” Thank you Lord for being so very patient with this apparently very so learner. Thank you Tracie for writing this study and for your honesty. Sometime it is so comforting to know I am not alone. Thank you Melissa for these studies!!