May 29

SLL Week 8, Day 3~ Meet Lysa TerKeurst!

Lysa TerKeurst…maybe you’ve heard of her. She’s the President of Proverbs 31 Ministries, which kind of makes her my boss. (She’s awesome to work for by the way!) She’s also a great friend who is very loyal and a lot of fun! This picture really shows her personality perfectly! (Email subscribers, click here if you can’t see the pic.)

Lysa_laughing-300x200

You probably know her as the woman who has had appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, The Today Show, The 700 Club, USA Today newspaper, Woman’s Day magazine, and Focus on the Family radio.

Or you may know her as the New York Times bestselling author of 16 books, her most recent releases, Made to Crave and Unglued, have remained on the best sellers list for over 40 weeks combined.

Or possibly you know Lysa and her ministry team at Proverbs 31 encourage 500,000 women through their daily online devotional. In addition, she co-hosts a 1-minute inspirational radio program aired on more than 1,200 stations around the world. Lysa’s blog averages over 80,000 avid readers per month. Plus, she touches hearts through their monthly magazine, P31 Woman.

But do you know the everyday Lysa TerKeurst?

Okay here is the deal… there is a right way that bio’s are supposed to be done. So, I’ve pasted my standard bio above. It gives my credits and credentials but to be honest it makes me sound way more polished than what I really am. I’ve included it in case you need to read it for whatever reason. But this is who the everyday me is…

Lysa TerKeurst: Yes, my mom spelled my name that way at birth. She named me after a soap opera character…and a mean one at that! But she loved the way the name sounded so she changed the spelling. My maiden name was King which I would love to keep as my middle name but Lysa King TerKeurst sounds a little lofty for a simple country girl.

My husband: My husband Art owns a Chick-fil-A restaurant and is the most patient man I know! Three weeks out of the month he loves me and loves to do whatever he can to help me do ministry. One week out of the month he simply puts up with me and my bout with the Princess Must Scream syndrome. But hey, three out of four ain’t bad! One of the greatest things about Art is that he lets me stick my cold feet under him at night and never complains. He is a great leader who teaches me something about leadership every day by simply watching him live his life.

My Kids: I have 5 kids. Me! The woman who struggled to keep goldfish and hamsters alive when I was a kid and now God has entrusted me with 5 children. I do feel incredibly blessed with my three biological kids and two adopted kids. I love them to pieces. They are the most fun part of my life! But they also challenge me in the deepest ways. The best parenting tip I’ve discovered is pray, pray, and pray some more. I can’t be an effective parent without a whole lot of the Lord and some daily doses of strawberries with Stevia.

My Ministry: I work with the most incredible team of women at Proverbs 31 Ministries. What started as a simple newsletter to encourage moms has now grown beyond my wildest dreams. The effectiveness of Proverbs 31 Ministries can’t be attributed to slick marketing plans and flawless leadership. We are simply a group of women sold out to saying yes to God and He truly does the rest. I’d love for you to get connected to Proverbs 31 Ministries by visiting http://www.proverbs31.org/.

My Everyday Life: I feel like a success in my everyday life if I get through the day having spent time with the Lord, exercised in some way, had a laugh with one of my kids, had clean underwear in my husband’s drawer when he needed them and made a friend smile.

Lysa is also the author of our next OBS, What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, beginning July 28, 2013. Get ready y’all~ as we learn to live with less stress, we will begin to hear God’s voice more clearly. What He says to us and what He asks of us. Could it be it’s time for you to say “Yes to God?”  Stay tuned, sign ups will begin soon!

Leave a comment this week and you will be entered to win a copy of What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, signed by Lysa just for you! You will also win the P31 Real Life Bible!

Comments

1. I’m standing on the edge of saying yes to writing, speaking and full time ministry. God’s timing is impecable.

2. Looking forward to the What Happens study. Wish all these wonderful studies had been available years ago. Nevertheless, thank you. All the studies have been terrific.

3. Sara Jane Davis Adair says:

Several Months Ago, When My Physical And Mental Health Were At Their Lowest, And I Had Lost Faith, Hope, Joy, And Belief In Myself, My Life, And My God, I Came Across This Website When Searching For Scriptures On Anxiety, Fear, And Hopelessness. I Wish I Can Say The Heavens Opened, A Golden Light Shined Upon Me, And The Angels Fluttered Down Singing Hallelujah. But, In Reality I Just Was Too Hurt, Too Sad, Too Confused to Accept That Even If It Did Happen Like That. But, What Began To Happen Was A Small Miracle And My Anger, Fear, And Hopelessness Began To Fade. I’ve Made Wonderful Friends/Sisters,EGodly Truth Tellers, And Prayer Partners. I’ve Witnessed Miracles Not Only In My Personal Life But In The Livrd Of Those Around Me As well. In All Honesty Your OBS Has Truly Saved Me , My New Friends Have Saved Me Gods Intervention Saved Me And His Mercy Has Poured Over Me. Thank You I Pray SomedAy To Stand Before A Room Of Heartbroken, Lost Women And Share My Story Of Deliverance And The Love Of god.

• Awesome! Your story has truly blessed me! Thank you for sharing. You truly are a blessing!

4. Lysa, I love your honesty!! I can definitely relate to your statement of what makes a good day! I am looking forward to beginning the next study with your book. I also have Unglued downloaded on my phone and hope to begin reading it soon! Thank you for all you do for us ladies!

5. Melanie Shannon says:

So thankful for Lysa & Proverbs 31 Ministries. Your honesty draws me in and your love for God is so very evident in all your writing. I have not met any of you in person but because of your blogs, these studies & facebook, I am always talking about you to my family and your known as my friend. My son says I am crazy and well maybe just a little – LOL. Keep writing Lysa and keep these studys going Melissa. Fan and hoping one day, Friend for Life. Love ya’ll!!

6. Amanda Lewis says:

I am so thankful to be apart of this study!! Proverbs 31 Ministry truly is a blessing!

7. So thankful for this ministry! Lysa, I have read your books and I get your blogs. I can relate to them in so many ways. Thank you for being so honest. This study has been amazing! I can’t wait for the next one.

8. Looking forward to the next Bible Study! Loved Lysa’s books, Made to Crave & Unglued! Also have her devotional! She is definitely a blessing!

9. Stephanie M says:

Love Lysa and Proverbs 31 Ministries! I have learned so much through daily devotionals and OBS. It’s been great.

10. Lysa – I first “met” you through your book Unglued. I learned so much during that book and bible study! I am now reading through your Made to Crave devotional and I look forward to learning much more through your writings and your ministry!

11. This is my first book I’ve read from the P31 ministry group :) and very much enjoying it. Unglued is my next one to read :) and looking forward to the next online study :)

12. Lysa,
    Thank you for sharing the true you! That is what I love about this ministry. It seems like everyone is just so real and that is what its about, being real with ourselves, others, and God.
    I had to giggle when you mentioned your husband accepting your cold feet…love it. I do the same thing! Looking forward to the next study!

13. Tracy Law says:

I’m looking forward to the next online study. Your studies are a true blessing to the many women who have chronic health issues and do not know day to day if they can even get out of their home. I have been so enriched through the comments, leaders praying for us and encouraging us and especially the FB smal group. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone for being true women of God!

14. TJ Conner says:

What a blessing it is that you are getting paid to do something you love. That, in itself, is creating an amazing example for your children. I know, my dad LOVES his job and as I search for my next employment adventure I hope that God leads me to that special niche too- soon. :-)
    I prefer the more personal bios too. Too many people think what you do for a paycheck is who you are. Wrong.
    Keep steppin’ in faith ladies- God’s light is shining through you and we (your fans and students) are enjoying the trip. God bless.

15. Last night I tried to change my actions and not take on too much. It was an interesting night. Every time I tried to just do “MY” job, the bosses kept adding more and more to my plate. I of course did more than supposed to, which is a ton, but last night was different. I completely felt God with me. I never felt stressed, never felt as though my head was going to spin off with confusion, I just prayed along the way. While, I still did more then normal, I wasn’t alone. I know I am never alone but last night was God’s first invitation from me to be apart of my work. It was amazing! :-) I need to allow God into everything I do and last night was my first step towards allowing him into my work environment. I didn’t realize he wasn’t’ apart of it but if I am completely honest I have never asked him to be, makes me sad. God will be with me always.

16. So excited to see When Women Say Yes to God as next study!

17. Michelle says:

I am so excited for the next Bible study!!! I have two friends that are planning to join me this time. As a mom of four, I feel like Lysa gets it and her encouragement brings me closer to God because of that. Can’t wait!!

18. I am so excited for our next Bible Study. Several years ago I read “When Women Say Yes to God”. I was so moved and so charged by the words Lysa Terkeurst wrote in that book. From that moment on, I have been a big fan of her. I subscribe to her daily blog and look forward to reading it every morning. Lysa is just so real and she is not afraid to show her readers that. She truly is an inspiration. I can’t wait to do this study with all of you. You will not be disappointed. We all need to be willing to say “Yes” to God. Lysa will give us the inspiration and insight needed to do so. Thank you Proverbs 31 Ministries for bringing us this next Bible Study. I can’t wait to get started.

19. Connie DeVault says:

Amazing! I bought 5 copies of this book a little while back. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them… and I have been thinking about doing a small summer study poolside :) Not sure how to get it together or what, a friend just said “hey we should do a poolside study this summer!” Crazy! God I do say yes to You in my heart but sometimes I’m afraid to say it out loud! Help me to trust You and say yes to You out loud!!

20. Martha F. says:

Love P31, Lysa, Melissa, & the OBS sisters-in-Christ. This is the best group of gals on the planet! God has truly blessed me through this ministry. Thanks y’all! <3

21. Monica Del Rosario says:

I love Lysa. Everything she writes is so beautifully written to me. It just speaks to my soul I can’t wait to see what this study brings!

22. I’m very excited that we get to do another one of Lysa’s books. Proverbs 31 ministries is a blessing in my life :)

23. Can’t wait for this study!!!

24. I’ve had this book on my “to read” list for awhile. Perfect timing! For the last 3 months I have felt a gentle nudge, then a pull and a tug, now a strong push in the direction of the women’s ministry at our church. It is very near to nothing right now, but the church is really growing, and I have a burning passion starting to really get the women’s ministry going! Any suggestions?

• Rebecca says:

This book is on my to read list too. Good Luck with your women’s ministries. :)

25. Melanie says:

This is my first of many studies hopefully. I love it and it has been such a great help and encouragement in my life at a much needed time. I love reading the comments and praying for those who express a specific need. I pray that I can become more open and receptive to Gods word and follow his will for my life. I have four wonderful children whom I love dearly and a husband whom i pray will come back to God. Thanks for the study and all your hard work putting these studies together.

26. Rebecca says:

I loved Lysa’s book Unglued and that study so I am looking forward to the next one. I find it interesting that her husband owns the Chick-fil-a and she is involved in all of these ministries while taking care of a family. Keep up the good work! :)

27. I absolutely love Lysa’s writing. I was first introduced to her gift of writing through the Encouragement for Today devotions. It was there that I noticed the ad for her book, Made to Crave. Which I have read and almost finished Unglued. I love the way that she writes as if she was sitting across the room having a cup of coffee with you. It feels like I am talking with a life-long friend that I have never met when I read her writing.

I am excited about the next study, but am worried about taking it on when I will also be taking two courses this summer. I do not want to put too much on my plate and stress out. Praying about it.

As a result of saying Yes to God, I am in full time ministry. But some days I feel that he is asking me to do something and instead of saying Yes, I am telling him I’m too busy.

Thanking God for the devotion of the women at Proverbs 31 Ministries. You do not know the impact that you have on so many women. God Bless!!

28. I love Lysa! She is so real and encourages me to draw closer to God. Proverbs 31 Ministries has been a HUGE blessing in my life. I am so Happy God brought me to your site and has drawn me in to be a part of OBS.

29. I am so enjoying this OBS!! This has been a growing experience-as studying God’s Word always is-it has also been a good accountability exercise for me, I needed that part on a daily basis. I get so busy “doing” for the the Lord, that I often don’t take time to just “be with” HIM!! I was on Linda Kuhar’s mini-retreat conference call this afternoon thanks to the Proverbs 31 ministry and this OBS. I am so thankful I had the opportunity to be a part of that. It was amazing; we all were at the same place, on the same page and in the same season of life, all of which only God could have orchestrated!!! Thanks!!! I have read Lysa’s book; my daughter and a few other women did a Facebook study together that I lead us through on the book. It was great!! I am leading a study beginning next week on her book “Made to Crave” at our church. I can’t wait to see what God is going to do in me, through me and in the lives of the women who have signed up!!! Thanks Lysa for being lead by God, listening and writing!!

30. I have been greatly blessed by Lysa’s ministry. God has used her ability to relate to us as real women to make us laugh, but also to help us think about what God expects from us. The group of women that have come together under Proverbs 31 Ministries continually amazes me. I can honestly say that the things I have encountered through P31 have made me a better woman of God. I look forward to the next study.

31. This study is perfect timing since my Ministry has received its 501(c)3 status and we are moving forward. We are having the website redone by Tekeme Studios as I am working on my first book on rejection and continuing to grow my speaking ministry. I’m just trying to get my health on track, recover from the loss of my mom and I want to make sure I am following God’s will and doing what He wants in His timing and not in mine. Right now I just have to find the motivation to get out of my bed each morning instead of coming up with reasons to stay in my pajama’s in my bed every day.

32. I am looking very forward to the What Happens Study! Loving OBS and how I have been able to connect online with so many wonderful women!

33. gina ball says:

I love Lysa’s books and I love the fact that she is honest and lets me know she is not a perfect wife or mother – she helps me connect with reality and not be so hard on myself when i slip 😉

34. Myrtle Cash says:

Really enjoying this study & can’t wait till the next one. Lysa you sound very interesting ,knowledgeable & a Wonderful Godly Woman !! Oh I love you said your just a country girl cause that’s what I am :)

35. Barbara Prince says:

I am so excited for this next study. I usually try to not get that way until I finish the current study, but I made the mistake of peeking at the book What Happens When Women Say Yes to God on amazon.com. I was hook immediately. I hope none of you miss out on this next study!

36. thank you for blessing my life. I am a busy mom of 4 and my mother lives with me with Alzheimer’s disease. I also work full time and try to volunteer at church when I can and of course the kids activities and three teenagers so a lot of hormones flying. Thank you for your blogs thank you for your amazing Bible studies and your amazing books. I have got to be honest with you…I’m not one to finish a book or completely do all the homework in Bible studies but I am so blessed when I do look at the lesson memorize Scripture and just take a part of the knowledge and insight to aply to my life which everyday I get some type of wisdom from the word of the Lord from your studies.Love ya

37. I love Lysa! I love how real and down to earth she is. I love how she writes about her own experiences and that I can relate to her and her life. I believe this next study is going to be great….so looking forward to it!

38. Charletta Rupert says:

Wow it is awesome that the study will be about women saying yes because I havr been practicing saying, Yes Lord Yes. Thanks for your faithfulness, it is so appreciated.

39. Have not read a lot of Lysa’s books, but I have read her blog and online devotionals and love her writing! I am so enjoying the current OBS and am looking forward to studying Lysa’s book next! It’s like I don’t want this one to end, but can’t wait for the next one to start….

40. Phyllis Wiley says:

I am not sure exactly how I found Proverbs 31 ministry, but I am so thankful that I did! I love the obs group! Almost anytime day or night someone in my group is online to chat,or pray! What a difference these small groups In the obs make! Thank you for being obedient to God’ s leading!,

41. This sounds like an awesome book. Several years ago I was talking to my daughter about the Titus 2 woman and told her that I didn’t feel like I was able to help anyone since I didn’t feel I had my life together. She promptly told me to “get it together”. The Lord has been dealing with me and I feel humbled to be able to visit and seek to encourage some young women and some young married women with children. Shortly after visiting one young woman with four children, I got a note from her thanking me and telling me how she had prayed that an older woman would come into her life and she felt I was the answer to her prayers. I wanted to sit down and weep. I am so thankful that I listened to the nudge of the Holy Spirit. There are so many women out there that need a listening ear and a caring heart. We can be that for them. We don’t pretend to be perfect, we just share the things we’ve learned, share our mistakes and encourage them to lean on the Lord for strength and guidance in their lives. AND we pray for them and their family. Thank you for your ministry to women and may the Lord bless you and your family.

42. Sherri Jackson says:

I loved Unglued so I am looking forward to the next study…I am so enjoying this one as I am seeing that I’m addicted to the adrenaline rush of busyness and need to slow down and leave a lot of things to God. Great study!

43. Dawn H. says:

Sometimes it is so hard to say YES, when you don’t know how to say NO! I am a yes person, which causes me to never say no. It causes me to lose the Joy in the serving. I, too, have 5 incredible kids, Lysa and I so want to say Yes to God for the right reasons. As a matter of fact, it was one of the prayers I wrote to the Lord in the Chapter questions. What ever it is that I am supposed to give up, I will and what ever it is that I am supposed to add, I will. No more YES girl – well to everything, anyhow! But – a Yes to God, always!!!

44. As I am working my way through chapter 8 I realized that I am definitely an Accomplisher. Even as I am recovering from stress related health problems, I still fully expected myself to get everything done, just like before. It hit me at the dinner table that it would be impossible to get it all done and heal my body at the same time. Questions on the top of page 165 are exactly what I need to ask myself to help me discern what the LORD wants me to do and what can I let go. If I didn’t start this study right now, I wonder how much sicker would I have gotten before I started to listen to the Lord? The sad part is that I never intended for things to go this far or this wrong. Thank the Lord for his timing, His grace and His love.

45. Lynn Fincher. says:

Lysa,
    Thank you for all you do for Proverbs31 ministry..Just as I am blessed with OBS I know there are many others.This is my 3rd OBS and it is awesome.
    God sure knows what we need and when that is so true.
    Blessings to you and this ministry..
    Lynn Fincher

46. Sense I started the OBS, and learning more about the P31, its brought me closer to God, His grace, and a new beautiful way of thinking about my life. In so many way it saved my sanity. Live you all

47. Sense I started the OBS, and learning more about the P31, its brought me closer to God, His grace, and a new beautiful way of thinking about my life. In so many way it saved my sanity. Love you all

48. Michelle says:

I experienced what saying yes to God is like in the past. Now I am in a desert, (literally in Phoenix!) but also with moving forward or taking risks with God. I can’t wait to read Lysa’s next one. Bless you!

49. I’ll be looking for the sign-up for the next study! I look forward to reading Lysa’s book.

50. Cherise (Zoegirl) says:

I want to say “yes!” always, not just when its easy. I pray God will help my heart change, to inline to His will.