May 31

SLL Week 8, Day 5

Happy Friday everyone! Are you as happy as me that the week is almost over?  Any fun weekend plans?

I want to give a big warm welcome to any visitors from the Proverbs 31 Encouragement for Today Devotions! So happy you are joining us today. This is where the Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies take place. We are in the middle of Stressed-Less Living by Tracie Miles. Please stick around and join us for today’s lesson. All you need today is your Bible.

Just FYI~ Our next OBS is What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst. Sign ups will begin in mid-June. The study will begin July 28th. If you have any questions about Online Bible Studies, please leave them in the comment section and someone will get back to you. I hope you will join us!

We started off the week with this quote from Chapter 8, “if we are too busy to spend time with God, then we are absolutely too busy!”  In fact, our Day 1 assignment this week was all about making time for God.

Today let’s take a closer look at 2 sections in Chapter 8 and the Scripture they contain.

In the Chapter 8 section titled, A Step towards Healing (p. 164-165 paperback), Tracie shares 3 Bible verses that pretty much tell it like it is. Don’t let these verses scare you, let them inform you.  Allow these verses to guide you into making some great changes in your life! Anytime a Bible verse causes you to be afraid, don’t close the book. Investigate. Let’s dig and discover these 3 verses. Get your Bible out and let’s take a look.  After you read them in your Bible, click the links for more on the verses. These commentaries, explanations, and simplified versions may be helpful in your understanding of the verses. Don’t be overwhelmed by this task, but be enlightened.

2 Corinthians 5:10

For more on this verse, click here.  http://www.raystedman.org/new-testament/2-corinthians/whats-there-to-live-for

John 9:4

For more on this verse, click here.  http://www.heartlight.org/wjd/john/0629-wjd.html

Psalm 39:5-7

This verse simplified, click here.  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+39%3A5-7&version=ERV

Once we take our step towards healing, we are ready to be rescued by God. (not by busyness, not by others, but by God) In the section titled, The Rescuer, there are some verses that we cannot overlook. (Well, we can, but we don’t want to…do we?) These verses are “feel good” verses, so inhale them, knowing you are so loved and protected by God.  Look them up in your Bible and respond to each in your notebook/journal.

Psalm 91:4

2 Samuel 22:7

2 Samuel 22:33

Consider the stress in your life. Where are you in your steps toward healing? Are you ready to be rescued by God?

The winner of this week’s prize give away of a Proverbs 31 Real Life Bible and a signed copy of What Happens When Women Say Yes to God is…..Melanie Shannon, email beginning shannonmel.  Melanie, email me at Melissa@MelissaTaylor.org to claim your prize! Congratulations!

Week 8 Overview, Click Here

Week 8, Day 1 Click Here

Week 8, Day 2 Click Here

Week 8, Day 3 Click Here

Week 8 Blog Hop, Click Here

Make sure to check in with me and let me know your thoughts about today’s lesson and how this week of SLL is going for you! See you tomorrow for Prayer Requests and Praises!

Comments

1. Love that Melissa,
    Inform & Investigate the word of God !
    Then we can ingest it into our mind and spirit — so we can transform into His likeness.

2. Today I am so tired. I feel I need a boost to get through today. I am learning though, I got on my knees in the showe and prayed for God to help me today. To help me let go of stress and rest in him. I got up before the rest of the house so I could read encouragement today and my OBS on my own. I made time to read His word and all the bible verses we have pinned durning this study. I am praying to feel a sense of peace and less urgency. God is giving me an opportunity to practice what we have been learning. I am seeking his help today.

• Early morning is my “God” time too. I find it a great way to start the day. It enriches my spirit and gives me the energy boost that I need to face the stresses of the day.

• Tammy OBS Leader says:

Genie – My heart is thankful as I read your post. Seeing the opportunities the God gives us truly opens our eyes to a whole new world. I will pray with you for peace, patience, and that you continue to go to Him first!

3. Debbie Williams (OBS Group Leader) says:

YEA! Glad to see this post. I had one group member asking yesterday to sign up and another that says she loves the groups. Thanks for posting – now they have all the details. Loved, loved that quote about being too busy for God! I used to be – not anymore – God first so everything else falls in place.

4. Today I couldn’t get off the first verse 2 Cor 5:10. I loved the commentary and God kept showings areas I need to change. I thought, I wish I saw things before but God waited till now to show me areas I need to change and it hurts. Now that I am aware though its important I allow God to change me. Please pray for strength and courage to obey God!!!!!

• Tammy OBS Leader says:

Karen – I agree! The commentary ROCKED! There’s a song right now on the Message, can’t remember title or complete lyrics right now…but just is that God doesn’t waste anything! So even though you wish you “saw” these things before – He’s using them – there is a plan!

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Karen,
      I really studied that verse when I ran across it. It does hurt sometimes and that is why we know we desperately need our Savior. Paul knew one day he would be judged by his Master and that motivated Paul. All Christians will be evaluated at the judgement seat of Christ. I can hide and pretend all I want on earth but my true character will be revealed:-) I am praying for you sweet sister. Just call on Jesus! Have a wonderful weekend.

5. Thank you for the above verses and readings that explain them further. I have been struggling with different areas of the Bible and understanding and sometimes the scriptures frightened me, for myself and my family. All of my study this morning was scriptures that spoke to my heart about peace. In Jesus calling, “The peace I give you transcends your intellect. You are unable to receive my glorious gift when most of your mental energy is spent in efforts to figure things out.” I am so thankful for God’s word when it jumps right off the pages of this study and my daily devotions to speak to the questions and struggles I have.

• Courtney says:

Becky,
      I read Jesus Calling by Sarah Young every morning! Isn’t it great how everything we are reading and studying ties together! God has a way of making sure we understand his message by speaking directly to our hearts and questions we may have.

God bless!
      Courtney

• Marie (Ree) says:

I read Sara Young’s “Jesus Calling” Devotionals too. I especially loved the one today for the verse you’ve quoted ing with her comments about “our thoughts spinning round & round going nowhere”… I’m learning to retrain my brain as well, when i change my thoughts that bring me closer to the presence of God, I am always rewarded with His Peace!

I really enjoyed reading Ray Stedman’s views on the scripture verses that Melissa outlined. I don’t want to live in fear of the judgement seat of Christ any longer. I want to display the nature of the life that has been given to me …for His glory!

6. Vanessa says:

Oh my goodness I love reading the commentary on 2 Corinthians 5:10 where he explained about God seeing our motives now that will be reveled then. I want to make sure all my motives are pure and straight from God. I pray that I don’t look at people with wrong motives but from a heart of love. Responding to hurt people with Christ’s love and not think there is not hope for them. This really spoke volumes to me. Thank you for the scriptures!!

Love
    Vanessa

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Vanessa,
      It also spoke to me. I kept thinking is it wrong to be motivated by the fact that I will stand face to face with Christ and give an account for everything. I am not sure but I don’t think so because God promises rewards. I also want to make my motives pure. Thank you for sharing and I am praying for you.

7. Jennifer says:

Didn’t have time for more than the 2Cor verse, but what a blessing! That verse did make my stomach feel like a sinking pit, but now I see it for the encouragement and learning opportunity it is, as well as the encouragement to allow God to deal with me now that it won’t be a bunch of bad stuff we have to focus on! :)

Much love,
    Jennifer

8. My step towards healing is an intentional effort to take every thought captive. Before the study I didn’t realize how much I “wallowed” in negative and harmful thoughts. I just thought I was “keeping it real” and being realistic about my problems and circumstances. But dwelling on problems and fears robs you of God’s provision of joy and peace. My week has been stressful, but I have a joy and a peace that I wouldn’t have thought possible. Please pray for my children as one had a medical procedure yesterday and is recuperating at home. Pray God shows up in a miraculous healing way. Thank you!

9. Janet F says:

What a meaty lesson!!! Thanks for the scriptures and links to go with them. Am looking forward to the next OBS in July!!!!
    I love how when we give God the first, (the tithe) of our time in the morning, He gives us time to get all the things done that He has planned for us to do everyday. My life has been turned upside down lately, but at long as I spend time with Him every morning, He has gotten me through each day and given me such peace and joy in the wait and in the trials. PRAISE BE TO GOD!!!! I LOVE YOU LORD ♥ Thanks for bringing me to Proverbs 31 Ministries and Melissa Taylor’s OBS’s, You are my King and my Lord and I will love You forever!!! Praying for all you OBS girls that you have a blessed day and weekend!! :)

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Janet,
      Thanks for this reminder. I have been slipping lately on the first thing in the morning but it is so important. I need to converse with God before anyone else. I love how you praised Him in your post. Praise and worship is one of the greatest weapons against the enemy. He is so good and it warms me to see His glory shine. Have a wonderful weekend.

10. Phyllis Olley says:

I am so thankful to find your blog and OBS, I cant get enough of Bible study and reading and basking in Gods word each day. I am disabled and right now am struggling with my only child serving time in Memphis Tennessee. I pray each and every night for his safety and that the words of God and the truth has hidden in his heart will rise up, humble him, and bring him back to the Lord who loves him even more than I do. I am getting here late, but still on time with God’s clock and the encouragement from digging even deeper into his word, not only for strength, but for better equipping me for the long days ahead. God bless you and I will follow along each day with the blog and scriptures and I know that they will be a blessing to my life. HUGS

11. Thank you, Melissa! Great way to start my day! I’m glad God is in control and I am NOT!
    Beth A.

12. I’m inhaling those Sweet Promises this very morning. And, Psalm 39:5-7 (but especially verse 7) is our new family memory verse. I put it up and my son breathed deeply as he read it and told me how nice it would be to “not be so rushed, mom.”. Oh God, I am listening! Thank you for your teaching this week, Melissa. It’s been So Stinkin’ Wonderful to dig into God’s Word and just gorge on it this week!

13. I love the Psalms 39 verses!

Through this study, I have learned that much of the work that I had been doing was truly in vain. I did not stop to think what God had prepared for me to do; I just jumped in and did it, thinking that I was doing the right thing. I am truly an adrenalin addicted person, as this week’s lesson taught. I want to stay constantly busy, when what I really need to do is stop and BREATHE! Breathe in God’s mercy, God’s love, and God’s plan for me.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Stella,
      ABSOLUTELY. I also want to just stop and breathe. That is not an easy thing for me to do. I am a fast paced urgent kind of person…I don’t want to miss God’s Presence all around me anymore. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.

14. Rebecca says:

I really liked the 2 Corinthians and the Psalms. God is the one who can judge us and we should not be judging other people. I really needed to hear these right now as there is some warfare going on inside of me and with my church right now. Thank you for doing these studies and lessons to show us how we should be living for God and to help each other with what we are going through in our lives!

15. Vanessa says:

I just can’t stop thinking about motives. What drives my every decision today? Is it me and my desires or is it God’s will. It’s not about my purpose or my life it’s about His will… Humm something to think about in every area of our life!!! I have to take all these fiery darts the devil is shooting at me and shoot right back God’s word and God’s will.

Yesterday all day I was so depressed not knowing how we were going to pay everything. Today I felt this choking coming up in my throat and my husband is very very pressured also, he even woke up in the middle of the night and could not breath. He has never done this in 29 years of marriage. I’m clinging to God and putting my trust in Him and not in my ways!! The stress is there and I’m not denying the reality of all this, I’m just clinging to God in this storm and I can praise Him and thank Him for this because we are completely depending on Him to show us His will. My trust is in Him completely and I’m praying that we both grow to a deeper relationship with Him and be drawn to His promises and believe those promises because we know Him!!!

Love
    Vanessa

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Vanessa,
      My heart is with you and I am praying for you. You are doing exactly right by praising Him in this storm. Praise and worship is one of the greatest weapons against the enemy. Praying sweet sister:-)

16. Dawn H. says:

2 Corinthians 5:10!!!!! Thank you for the connection to that interpretation! I too looked at that verse a day of judgement of my wrongs, instead of a day of discernment for ALL! A way of determining what was actually said, how it was said and why it was taken in the wrong way. Thank you, Lord for this day! Not only do I want to improve myself and the way I say things and just be, but I want to not be taken in the wrong light, when my intentions are good! I love this verse! I love that there is yet another place where God shows Himself as a fair God and not a judgemental spirit. It is all right there in The Book – we just need to read it! Thank you, thank you for showing me how to read and study! I am so thankful and blessed by this study!!

17. Courtney says:

2 Corinthians 5:10 really stung! It gave me the opportunity to evaluate my motives. Are the motives are from God, or are the motives solely mine. And really made me evaluate how I spend my time. I thought by staying busy and volunteering all my free time at the church is the best way to please God. I am learning from this study yes he wants me to be a good servant, but it’s more important that I take time for just Him. I need to slow down and make sure I spend time with Him and his word and make sure I’m growing not just being busy. And, when I am being still in His presence, I can receive and understand what is it He will have me to do. Not something I think I should do.

As far as prayers, I first want to thank those who have been praying for me through this whole endometriosis deal. I finally saw a specialist who agreed a hysterectomy is best. My surgery is schedule for June 12. I am excited to get some relief, however, I am grieving. I do not have any kids and kinda knew I wouldn’t be able to have them. I think I am grieving more the lost of the control of getting pregnant and having children. I know it’s wrong and I am asking God to take that feeling of I need to be in control away. Right now I need to focus on my health and thank God it’s not something worse, like cancer. I also need to trust that he has a plan. I can’t see it right now, but he will get the glory from this situation.

As you all are praying for me, I will be praying for you. Although I don’t know each of you personally, I love each of you! God will see us through the obstacles that each of us face today.

Hugs, prayers, love, and most of all Happy Friday!

• Jennifer says:

Courtney, I am praying for peace for you and comfort in this time.

Much love,
      Jennifer

18. I found your blog from the link in my devotional that I just signed up for this week. I have felt so alone in a journey that I thought I was to far gone to try again. But in less than a week, I have found such comfort in the devotionals, daily bible versus, and reading posts and comments from others that understand the struggle.

I found today’s lesson very interesting, and what I always thought a bible study should be. I plan to participate in the bible study. Thank you so much for this!

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Jayne,
      Thank you so much for being vulnerable and sharing with us. We are so happy that you joined us today. Please know that we are praying for you. I know you will love the Bible Study. Have a wonderful weekend!

19. I just needed to post before I go see my 93 year old Mom, that I love how you have the links to delve deeper into those verses! I love that! I will comment later, but wanted you to know that -:)

20. Lorraine says:

Question about the next Bible study. Do you know if the DVDs that are available are the same as the book by Lysa Terkeurst or they compliment the book. Thanks.

BTW – I have loved this series, The Stressed-Less Living. It is so comforting to know that so many of us have the same “stressed-more” lives.!!

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Lorraine,
      What DVD set do you have? There is a DVD set for What Happens When Women Say Yes to God. Does that help? Let me know if you need anything else.

21. Becky Babin says:

Having come from a Catholic background I have not had a lot of bible studying during my life. And being where I am with my health at this time has put me exactly what you have talked about on your blog today. This is where I am today, grasping all that I can to ready myself for what I know is coming, I apologize for sounding so morbid but you know you have to come to terms with things like this. As I have said previously this is my time to renew and deepen my relationship with Our Lord! I am so blessed to have been given this time my Him, now if I can just get a handle on that “trust” issue! Thank you so much for your amazing work on this bible study, you are my blessing for the week! God Bless

• Jennifer says:

Praying for peace and trust for you Becky – I appreciate you sharing – it’s good to remember none of us are promised tomorrow.

Much love,
      Jennifer

22. Thank you so much for the encouragement and prayers. I love Psalm 91. I also read some of verse 5 and it said Do not be afraid. I really needed to hear those words. So many times I feel afraid of situations, or worry about things that cause me to stress and I just need to let go of those things. For example last week a dear family friend suddenly past away. She died from a heart attack and is the same age as my mom. I just have to continually put my trust in the Lord and lean on him.
    Awhile back I asked for prayer for unspoken prayer request. Just wanted to update you. I sent my resume in for a possible job. But God shut the door on that, and I’m just fine with that. Thank you for taking the time to pray.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Hi Angie,
      I am so sorry for your loss. I am praying for comfort and peace for you and the family. I will continue to pray. Praise God that He gave you clarity that the job was not right for you. Praying for God’s will for you, sweet sister.

23. Myrtle Cash says:

Congratulations Melanie Shannon for being winner !!!! I really wanted that Bible enjoy wonder if the sell them anywhere but I need large print. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.Thanks & God Bless <<3

24. Tristine says:

Welcome Devotional Team. I love the beautiful devotionals. Thank you for sharing your gifts. Melissa, thank YOU for today’s study. I love to dig deeper and learn as much as I can. I have been taking my time this week but have gleaned much and have been very blessed by our Precious Jesus. I give praise and glory all to Him. I am constantly amazed by God.

I am so ready to be rescued by God! I have gained more trust in Him since we began and I am in full surrender mode. Thank you for all you do :-)

25. Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

I have to comment on one of the verses that are hard to swallow. Psalm 39:5-7 really resonates with me. I mean I love my children and husband so much. I love picking out cute little girl clothes. I love my ipad. I love my cute deck furniture. I love my cool rocking mini van:-) BUT everything here is just an UNSUBSTANTIAL SHADOW. Everything my husband and I labor for to possess in this life is just a breath. As much as this hurts to hear we are all vain. I want to live like this. I don’t want to store treasures here are earth. All the time is nothing compared to God’s eternity.

Something even harder for me to accept is that all of our comforts lie at a constant uncertainty. The only certainty we have is Christ and the beautiful gift He has given us. So where do we store are riches?

• Myrtle Cash says:

Kristy this is true I had to live it personally. Our Home burnt on December 29th & God has been our strength. We lost material things that can be replaced if we choose but Thank God no one was hurt including our animals. Also it made me realize we had way to much stuff after living here for almost 15 yrs now. Needless to say I’m going through & giving to Goodwill & Salvation Army.God turned it all into good even Our Home is Soooo much better in many ways. I feel so Bless from a terrible thing that happen. My favorite verse has always been Romans 8:28 & 29 forever now God has proven it to me. Thank you Jesus for loving me <<3

• Janet F says:

Awesome post Kristy

26. I felt really blessed the other day, when, in the middle of a busy morning, I stopped to do some dishes and God arrested my heart and mind. It was like a slight jolt to remember that God is there, waiting to listen to us, offer us comfort and give us his peace. I handed over my day to Him, my stresses, even down to the simplest things that at that point seemed so overwhelming. What comfort I felt when that realisation occurred that I did not have to depend on myself or my ability to meander my way through the kaos but that God had heard my prayer and given me comfort. It was like one of those big gooey “sighs” as I breathed in and out and relaxed into His arms. What an amazing God we serve, who loves us and cares for us beyond our imagination.

27. TABITHA JONES says:

I have really studied on these verses today. I have let them soak in and have felt Gods presence all around me. I am like Kristy Psalms 39:5-7 really spoke to me. We had a tornado to come thru our town in April 2011 and leveled everything and we still don’t have a school for our kids or a grocery store. We have learned to not get attached to material things. We were so thankful to just have each other and to be able to help each other. My heart hurts to see the things that Oklahoma is going through right now, to know that they are going through what we went through then. Our HOPE has to be in GOD and GOD alone.
    I want to thank the OBS leaders for all the time and energy you spend to help each one of us in this study. This is my 2nd OBS and God has really worked on me. I work at a bank and they allow me to have my study up on the computer and go back and forth to it when I am not busy doing something else and it has been such a blessing in my life.

28. I only got as far as 2 Corinthians. I read the verse several times, and started reading the commentary. The commentary is great. I am often intimidated when I read the bible because I have no clue what it is talking about. So that really helped me see things in a different light. Probably the biggest realization I had about the verse though occurred when I was rocking my daughter to sleep a few moments ago. My mind drifted back to that verse and I thought to myself, well at least God notices what I’m doing here on earth and that it’s for some bigger purpose. Even if people here on earth don’t appreciate my efforts I know God will. It is scary, the thought of being judged. But for some inexplicable reason, at this moment I find it motivating.

One of the other big take aways from this week was from Lysa TerKeurst’s bio post on Day 3. I love how she measures whether her day was a success or not. I already knew before reading Chapter 8 that I am accomplisher and busyness addict. Now I just have a term for it;) Whether I have a good day or bad day, am a success or failure often depends purely on how much I got done or how smoothly I was able to accomplish tasks. In my head I know that’s backwards. I don’t want to live like this. I actually hate rushing around like a crazy person. I can’t stand it! But yet I do it all the time. I feel like I have to. I feel like I have to do everything on my own. I don’t know why I feel this way, and I’m not sure it even matters. What matters is what am I going to do about it? There’s a part on page 171 in the SLL book that basically says we don’t have the power and strength to get through tough times, but when we continue to try and do things on our own we end up feeling like real peace and rest is simply not possible. That is me to a T. That is exactly how I have been feeling. I’m sure my doubt and lack of faith don’t help, but I’ve found my self questioning all of this. Is it really possible to find peace through God? Will God really come through and deliver? I am ashamed to admit this, because in my head I know better, but in my heart the doubt creeps in.

I need to start measuring my success in terms of my relationship with God and being a good steward of the blessing he has given me. I know this is a journey and I’m going to just keep on trying.

• Jennifer says:

Andrea, I have been learning this lesson, too, and while I am a recovering busyness addict, there is always the pressure to go back because that is what the world values. I pray you will lean hard into your Abba who loves you so very much and know with confidence He eagerly waits to direct your steps in a way that has nothing to do with how much you’ve done and everything to do with how much you’ve loved.

Much love,
      Jennifer

29. Psalm 91:4 is perfect for me today! I was telling my mom earlier that’s where I want to “live”, under His wing. If I just bury myself in Him, the stressors in my life will grow dim. Life happens, but if I stay right there in Him….wow! Then I will see it through His eyes, His perspective. THAT changes everything!!

• Jennifer says:

Have you heard that Francesca Battistelli song? I think it’s called Strangely Dim – love that song! I’m sure you can find it on Youtube!

Much love,
      Jennifer

30. The commentary on 2 Cor 5:10 was beautiful! I loved how he portrayed the judgment seat…not something to be feared, but as you and The Lord walking through your life together, both the good and the bad, to seek out the real motive of why we did what we did. How I look forward to the day where I have full understanding of my motive and what was behind it all.

31. I love the days when we have the verses for us to look up in our Bibles and study!! Love opening God’s Word and digging in. This week has taught me to slow down and really absorb what God is teaching me through this study. :)

32. Mindy corradi says:

Wow did these verses speak to me! 2 Corinthians 5:10 screamed at me and made me think not of my actions but my motives…
    I know one day I will stand before The Lord, there are things I will be held accountable for, but what will The Lord say behind my motives?
    I am a people pleaser I tie my own happiness to the happiness of those around me. I am constantly trying to please and make others happy…many of times to the detriment of myself and family…what is my true motivation behind my actions? This is a question I will be reflecting on.

33. Been away with my Special Olympics team…came home to this post…needed to respond about one verse in particular… 2Corinthians 5:10. When I read this verse, I just started to cry… put my book down and just sobbed. I wasn’t even sure why but as I calmed and caught my breath, I just prayed for forgiveness for ever wounding Jesus…for every bang of the hammer that nailed Him to the cross…and in thanks and praise to Him, who gave His life for mine and who leads me to complete His good works…to God for loving me so much that He gave His only Son so that I may one day stand before Him in judgment having persevered, knowing His merciful love and compassion…