Jun 1

SLL week 8 ~ Praises & Prayer Requests

image source: http://bit.ly/12ko4lC

I admit that I so wish I could be like the gal in the picture above.  Content, with a serene face while accomplishing everything that needs done.  She looks so happy and productive, doesn’t she?  The problem is, this gal doesn’t exist.  For real!  I wouldn’t lie to you!  Why do you think it’s a cartoon and not a real model?

After reading this chapter I recognized that I am an Accomplisher.  I’m the gal with the “things to do” list written on my dry erase board in the kitchen.  I write the day’s “to do” list all in one pretty  color and erase each item as it is accomplished.  Sounds so simple.  The stress comes in when my dry erase “to do” list becomes rainbow colored.  That means that there are several days items that didn’t get done…. and they scream at me.  I begin to stress out over the things that need done today and the things that needed done yesterday that have to be done RIGHT NOW so that I can do what needs to be done today.  The next thing I know a simple three letter word (MOP) has become the bane of my existence as it mocks me in its pretty pink letters amidst a purple list reminding me of how I have failed.  “If the devil can’t hinder our relationship with God by making us immoral, he’ll simply make us busy.”  Some days I am so busy being busy that I miss point.  God never intended for us to spend our days busy.

God didn’t send Jesus here so that we could spend our lives being busy little adrenaline junkies.  Jesus came to give us peace (see John 14:27 and John 16:33 for starters).  If we aren’t experiencing that peace then it truly is time for us to make some changes in our lives.  Tracie Miles  wrote, “Each day when we get out of bed, we have a choice to make about where our strength will come from to face the day ahead.  Will we rely on ourselves or will we rely on God?”  I don’t know about you, but trying to do this myself, trying to check off enough items so that I feel like I have accomplished something rather than asking God what He wants me to accomplish, just isn’t working.  And I bet it isn’t working for you either, or you wouldn’t be sitting there reading this post.  So I want to challenge you to consciously decide every morning before your feet hit the floor that today you will rely on God.

Don’t worry about tomorrow, or the deadline you have in a week, or the doctor’s appointment next month.  TODAY you will rely on God to accomplish what needs to be done.  Ask Him to guide you in choosing those tasks.  Everything else can wait.  And when we truly begin to rely on Him, and listen to Him, we will learn to live without being busy little adrenaline junkies.  We will find peace.  Won’t that be wonderful!  Are you ready to be a reformed adrenaline junkie?

Blessings from a reforming adrenaline junkie,

Ginny Blankenship

P31 OBS Teaching Team member

Have you decided to start relying on God?  Do you have something heavy on your heart that you would like us to pray with you about?  Please share any and all prayer requests in the comment section.  Has God answered your prayer or blessed you this past week?  We enjoy rejoicing with you and would love it if you shared those with us as well.  Every request and praise is read and prayed for by a member of the Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies team.

Comments

1. My sister passed away last Saturday, sadly she lost her battle with drugs. I have a real heavy heart and I am trying to deal with a lot of past issues. I pray that God will help my mother get clean from drugs and that I will be able to forgive her. The hard part is not knowing if my sister will be in heave.

• Marisa…I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. It is very difficult when loved ones pass away and we don’t know if we’ll see them again. We don’t know what her last conversation with God was, so hold on to the hope that she had a last conversation with Him. Praying for you during these difficult days. Knowing that it is challenging when family members are not walking with the Lord. (I have several). Praying for your mom that she will seek God’s direction in her life. Be strong and know that you are being uplifted to God. Take care of yourself.

• Annelise lovell says:

Prayers for your heart to heal and that you can feel Gods peace. His peace for your sister and for your feelings about your mom. Wish I could hug you.

• Kristy Aiken (OBS Group Leader) says:

Praying, sweet sister. I am praying!

• Marisa, so very sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. May God wrap you in His loving arms and give you His peace.

• Becky Kneller says:

So sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family. God can heal. Praying that your Mother finds a relationship with Christ and release from addiction.

2. georgia says:

I thank you for this Bible Study & the leaders humility in being able to share their life stories. This chapter hit home with me. I am an adrenalin junkie. At one time, I thrived in my busy life. Now, I feel I am drowning in it. The difference between now & in the past is that I believe I studied & prayed more and I put boundaries in place. I have struggled for years in my marriage. I have seen God work wonders in my husband. All through the past 7 years we have struggled with caring fir family members, doing for others & some trials personally. We both found we had a stronger faith, but I am tired. In the past year and a half I have found calling me to do less,put boundaries back in my life, take more time out. I am tired, worn down & though we are active members of our Church & have many Christian acquaintances, I find I truly have no women of faith to pray for me, share with me, or to just have some fun. Everyone needs rest & a release from the daily struggles. I find that my extended family members are troublesome they are not actively practicing God”s promises. They meddle & in their meddling they cause my family. More struggles & heartache. 5 years ago my husband made a decision to have my brother who is 20 years old err than me and has a disability. My input was to not do this and look at alternatives. my brother has learned to rely & depend on others even when he can do things himself. He does not take initiative in his own self without being pushed. I have a stressful job which has supported our family. I own & operate a small law form. Though I have a business partner, he is more like an employee. There is conflict daily at the type of clients we will take on. My husband & I have one son who is now 14. I find that all the people in my life are all out with their own agendas & blur my boundaries. Some times I don’t realize my boundaries have been compromised until after. The days proceed more quickly & there is no time to think, pray & contemplate. When I take time to pray, read my Bible, and reflect I find I become mote centered. the enemy has been working on me & in doing this study I have found that I have walked it alone forgetting to consult with God. I have grown weary & tired. I can see that I have taken direction to put my boundaries in place & though it has been a slow & steady journey, there are positive results the place where more needs done is at home. I have owned my own business & have worked with consulting & helping people for 22 to 23 years, I need a break. In the past 2 summers I have tried to take a short 3 month sabbatical & every time things cone up that force me to not be able to. I feel pulled in too many directions & this year is no different. There is one difference, in the past I have done what it takes to get the job done. Alternating my time & effort$ it feels like when I shift my focus to home there is a Gore that needs attended to at work & visa versa. This year I don’t have it in me. I know I need to test it all over to God & trust Him to organize my time & efforts. When I do things start changing. Some times I see the positive in it, and sometimes I testosterone take back the controls. I have watched God let me fail, get angry & yet still bless me anyways. I know I need to test Him & let Him guide me but I find that I am so tired & discouraged I can’t pray. We are at a crossroads now & have decided that my brother should go live somewhere else. We are working on having him make that decision himself through visits & talking bless my husband for having love & patience in talking to my brother. You see though I take on some of the burdens my brother doesn’t talk fully with me. He has expectations & tries to push his own will back with me. I find I lose my patience, get angry. I find myself working through my own resentments of him from years gone by. There is just too much to say here. As you can see there are many issues warring in my home alone, nit to mention work & then extended family functions with family members putting their 2 cents in, talking to my brother but nit taking the full time to assess the full facts. I know that I need time alone for myself, time alone with my husband & my son. Pray for me to have the wisdom to ‘re order my life to put GOD first, my husband second, my son then others. Pray that the strobgholds

• georgia says:

Spell check is horrible. Many words changed. Not test God, trust God

• Becky Kneller says:

Praying that God will ease your burden. Trust him! Keep in prayer, he will direct your path. I used Proverbs 3:5-6 as my verse to memorize.
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.
      6 Seek his will in all you do,
      and he will show you which path to take.

3. My praise is that my husband has a full time job with beneits! He has been out of work for over 8 months. It has been very painful but God is so good. We give Him all the honor and glory. My husband has now found and is following God. We are in a group with our church every Wednesay night. He is studying the word and has seen God’s divine hand work in our lives over this very trying time period. Please pray for our family that we will be able to keep our house. Please pray that they bank will approve a loan modification quickly so that we can repay our debt with a reasonable mortgage payment going forward. I have faith that He will deliver us! Thank you God for your patience as we learn your way! You are an awesome God and we are so thankful!

4. Thanks for spelling it out for me. Love to think that it’s as simple as deciding every morning you or God!!

5. Prayer for my grocery budgeting ability, as it continues to bring conflict into our marriage. I am not trying to overspend, however most months I exceed the allotted amount and greatly upset my husband. This results in him feeling disrespected and me feeling insufficient. I need God’s help and provision especially in this area.

6. Stephanie Rowland says:

Hello,
    My name is Stephanie Rowland, first I want to say how this study and Proverbs 31 site has been such a blessing to me! I have wanted to send prayer request several times but you know how the enemy works..
    I will give a little background I have a blended family, my husband and I have four children between the two of us. Their ages range from 21 to 11.. so it has been a wild ride lol. My stepdaughter has recently told us she is pregnant, she doesn’t love the guy and they have only been together just a few months. He doesn’t have a very good record for holding a job and has other children by other women. My husband is so devastated and I need prayer to be supportive to him and to her. This is a challenge and I know God can do anything and He can always turn things to good for His glory but she is not in church nor does she want to be right now. Please pray for Lakain and for my family please, that God will show us and give us strength to get through this difficult time.

7. Carletta K. Stevenson says:

After having thyroid cancer three years ago, I was left with vocal cord paralysis and now have difficulty breathing. I am now facing the possibility of lung cancer. I have five children and two young grandchildren. My children are terrified at the thought of losing me (my mother died of lung cancer). My house is falling apart, and I cannot keep up with it anymore. I lost my job and cannot work because of the breathing problems. I am extremely stressed out. I have been battling bronchitis and pneumonia for almost a year now. It has been very hard to go from being an active, independent woman to basically a shut-in. In addition, my oldest daughter has chosen a path that brings me much heartache. When I die, I would like to be assured that my daughter and all of my children will be with me in Heaven. My daughter is 22 and not living the Godly life that I tried to instill in her. She is also the mother of my grandchildren, so I worry about them. My two-year-old granddaughter is my “buddy” and keeps me company quite a bit. Please pray for all of us. Especially my children and grandchildren. I will be praying for all of the others who need prayers and for you and your ministry. Thank you.