Jun 2

Stressed-Less Living, Week 9

Welcome to Week 9!  Here is a quick overview of what you can expect this week in Bible study~

Reflection Verse~

But now, this is what the Lord says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
Isaiah 41:1-3a

Suggested Assignments for Week 9~

We are so blessed to have Jamy Whitaker with us again to lead us through Week 9 of our Stressed-Less Living Online Bible Study!  Thank you Jamy, we look forward to a great week!

Monday~ It’s Bible time! Grab your Bible and get ready to dig in as we examine this week’s main verse.

Tuesday~ Time to read Chapter 9, Choose Your Weapons. Read the chapter and then answer the reflection questions and look over the Stress Busting Scriptures in the back of the chapter.

Wednesday~ Do you know that Proverbs 31 Ministries has FREE daily devotions? Learn all about them today!

Thursday~ Blog Hop!

Here are this week’s topics:

1.  Trust. “I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” ~Isaiah 43:1b-3a
We have a deep reflection verse this week, so you may want to map it for more than three days! Dig in ladies!

2. Spiritual Vitamins. Chapter 9. We spend a great deal of time trying to keep ourselves physically healthy, but what about spiritually. What are some of your favorite “Spiritual Vitamins”? Which one do you take daily?

3.  #Blessed. Stress can cause us to overlook the many blessings God has poured out into our lives. Make a list of five things God has blessed you with. Once you have listed five, try for five more…then five more…then five more. You can add to this list whenever you have something new to add. I.E. I am thankful for the dirty laundry because my family is well clothed. OR I am thankful for the beautiful weather we had today. OR Thank You Lord for my family.

Friday~ Let’s end the week with more Bible study and wrap up Chapter 9 of Stressed-Less Living!

Saturday~ Prayer Requests & Praises

We love it when you participate! In fact we love it so much that we enter you into a random drawing for a prize each week just for leaving a comment! The more you comment, the more you are entered! This week we are giving away a signed copy of What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst! This is the next book we are studying at OBS!

Have a great week! Big Hugs and Blessings to all of you!

Love~ Melissa <3

Comments

1. Bree (OBS FB Team Leader) says:

I’m so excited for this week of Bible study! I’ve already read this week’s chapter and the last section entitled Choose Victory was very powerful for me. I’m definitely looking forward to discussing it.

• Romans 15:13 was my Bible Verse I’ve mapped and studied last week, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

But, this translation jumped out at me during this reading for the week.
      “May God, the GIVER (YES, HE WANTS TO GIVE IT TO US! WITHOUT US ASKING!)
      of hope,
      fill you (NOT A LITTLE…BUT FULL TO THE BRIM WITH THE RICHNESS OF HIM!)
      with continual (WITHOUT CEASING…ISN’T THAT LOVELY?!)
      joy and peace (AMEN TO THOSE GIFTS!)
      because you trust in Him–so that you may have abundant (NOT A LITTLE..ABUNDANT; SO MUCH YOU SHARE WITH OTHERS!)
      hope through the power (HIS POWER….NOT MINE!)
      of the Holy Spirit.”

Can’t wait to learn more about how this week speaks to your heart! :-)

P.S. Bree….why are you up so late?!

• Janet F says:

LOVE THIS JULS!!!!

• Bree (OBS FB Team Leader) says:

Hi Juls, Thank you for sharing Romans 15:13 and your verse mapping experience with us. I’ve been spending the afternoon looking for jobs and it hasn’t been going very well. I took a break and visited this site. Your comment has been a great source of encouragement! Also, it’s interesting how this verse is about trusting God (it’s my one word for 2013). Well, back to the job search, now with a renewed sense of hope. Thank you again!

P.S. When I left my response, it was still early in California. :)

• Tristine says:

Thank you for sharing that! What a blessing.

2. Romans 15:13 was my Bible Verse I’ve mapped and studied last week, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

But, this translation jumped out at me during this reading for the week.
    “May God, the GIVER (YES, HE WANTS TO GIVE IT TO US! WITHOUT US ASKING!)
    of hope,
    fill you (NOT A LITTLE…BUT FULL TO THE BRIM WITH THE RICHNESS OF HIM!)
    with continual (WITHOUT CEASING…ISN’T THAT LOVELY?!)
    joy and peace (AMEN TO THOSE GIFTS!)
    hope through the power (HIS POWER….NOT MINE!)
    of the Holy Spirit.”

Can’t wait to learn more about how this week speaks to your heart!

P.S. Bree….why are you up so late?!

3. LInda G says:

Another impacting chapter!”Real strength results from persistent communication and fellowship with God”. I must say when I take refuge in God and communicate with him, my spiritual well-being is health. If I don’t and go backwards trying to remedy these things myself, I feel like I am ill and have no motivation to deal with the daily trials and tribulations. The reflection verse is wonderful, but one that sums it up is the other verse in the back of the chapter: Psalm 46:1b – God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. It encompasses all in just one little verse – he will not let us drown when we go through deep waters, he will not let us get burned up or have the flames consume us when we walk through the fire of oppression. He is our God and will be by our sides – no matter what. He is the all powerful and will provide us with the strength to get through whatever is troubling us. The only thing we need to do is trust him and seek refuge in Him and HIs Word.

4. Mindy Miller says:

Looking forward to this week. Today my church is starting a new series called Angels and Demons. We will be discussing spiritual warfare. This sermon series should be great! Then I get to continue my week with you wonderful ladies! I am truly enjoying this study and group! Thank you to everyone who is participating!

• Rebecca says:

That sounds like it would be a very interesting series. Let us know how it goes! :)

5. jackie s says:

OBS keeps me focused and is a great reminder to be “in the WORD” daily. Looking forward to a great week of study.

6. Polly Schneider says:

This weeks reflection verse is one of my favorite verses. It is so comforting to me. I am looking forward to this weeks study.

7. Love the scripture and the teaching. The encouragement and the uplifting daily scriptures.
    Blessings

8. Rebecca says:

I Love these scripture verses as well. I also began reading chapter 9 and like it already. I can really relate to what she says about us going to other addictions instead of God since I am one who goes to ice cream, caffeinated Pop/coffee drinks when I am stressed out. I’ve been doing good with not drinking coffee since I haven’t had any since March but still need to remember to turn to God instead of these other things.

• Rebecca,
      I really relate to the physical appetite addictions. I have always wondered why when we as humans stress we tend to want to eat or drink? If a tiger was after me and stress took over I wouldn’t want to eat or drink so why does family or job stress bring that addiction out in me?

9. Kris (OBS Small Group Leader) says:

I just finished this chapter this morning and it was very thought-provoking, especially the last section. I hadn’t thought how some of the things I’ve been passing off as my weakness lately may actually be spiritual warfare. I have a whole new perspective on that this morning!!

10. Lynda Parker says:

That verse is Isaiah 43:1-3a rather than 41:1-3a. I have loved that verse for a very long time! I absolutely love love love this study! My husband got very ill and I have had such a hard time keeping up. Thank you so much for giving me strength and comfort and leading me straight to His Word at a difficult time! You girls and the Lord Jesus literally “Lift Me Up!” Thank you soooooo much! Hugs to all of you!

• Yes! I just looked it up and Chapter 41 was not right…Isaiah 43: 1-3 is a wonderful verse full of strength! Lynda – praying that your husband is feeling better and praying for you as well.

• Lynda Parker says:

Thank you so much Jeanne and Sondra! I love having so much support from “Jesus Girls!”

• Sondra R says:

Lynda,
      I’ve been there, Praise Jesus, sound as though you are doing ok. Will pray GOD’s mercies each day.

11. Good Morning Ladies- this was a tough week for me…just struggling. But This week is going to be a great one…God is going to lead me in the way that He wants, I was reading that the next book is Lysa’s What happens when women say yes to God….I want in on that study. Thank you so much for offering this to all of us. I am praying that my focus this week will be on God – Fixed gaze on Him!! Not on my circumstances….Your Prayers are so appreciated.
    I will be praying for y’all too! God Bless…

12. oh how sweet to allow the Word to pierce my soul this past week! definitely looking forward to more…..Pierce Away, Sweet Jesus!

13. Katrina says:

The reflection verse is a long one this week. Gonna break it up into pieces and try and digest a piece a day. “Spiritual Vitamins” I love that! Looking forward to digging into some more verses this week and ch. 9!

14. Ladies, who have posted -I just sense I want to encourage all of you – I would love to post individually, but that is so time consuming, but I am praying in agreement with all of you, that in the rest of this book study time, you will stay focused, blessed and encouraged, that God will open up your time and freeing it up so that you can seek Him as you study; that the enemies ploys will be broken and he will NOT stop you from keeping steady in the Word, not only in this study, but in the BIBLE – letting the Holy Spirit guide you and build you up in the way you should go. Do NOT be discouraged, for He cares for you. He does not bring defeat, he brings LIFE to the full, he heals, restores, build up and NEVER tears down. When the enemy tries to strike your emotions, body or family, ladies you stand with your head held high and shoulders back, because you are the child of the MOST High GOD- satan nor his angels have any power over you- NEVER EVER does he have power over you. You ARE more than a conqueror in ALL things. Trust God. Be active in your faith – speaking life, in any area YOU need. We ALL struggle with something – but we all have the same power in Christ Jesus to overcome negative tactics. Use that faith. Activate it every day! In Jesus name, be blessed today and EVERY day! You ARE BLESSED!!!!!

15. Oh to allow Him to rescue me. I am loving this study and the imperfect progress I am seeing in my life. Praises for the fact that He never leaves us!

• Sondra R says:

Amen, dear sister.

• I like how you worded this Katie because we do “allow” or not allow him to rescue us at times. There are times where God tries to help us and we look elsewhere for help. I am glad he never gives up on us.

• Oh, Katie, “allow” just puts our part right into perspective. Thank you!

16. I’ve always loved this verse!!!

17. Our reflection verse for this week is just what I needed to hear. I have The Charles Stanley Life Principles Daily Bible and in the Answers To Life’s Questions section Charles Stanley wrote, “When you feel weary and disheartened, look to Christ-lift Him up in your life and praise Him. He knows your journey is long and difficult, and that your heart can only handle so much. Yet, surely, the “backwards” steps you’re taking are leading you to an even better goal, and as long as you’re looking to Jesus, He’ll give you the strength and encouragement you need to carry on. And the best thing about His plan is that along the way, as He’s exalted in you, others will be saved as well.”
    This really spoke to me and I just wanted to share it.

• Thanks For Sharing What A Great Spiritual Vitamin Looking G Forward To This Week

18. Christine says:

I love the reflection verse this week! (Well, I love them every week!) I’m looking forward to Ch 9 and focusing on Spiritual Vitamins. I spend a lot of time trying to keep myself physically healthy and often neglect the spiritual. It’s an unbalance and I know the Lord is calling me to correct.

19. I love the scripture in Isaiah 43. I have been so stressed this week but have also been very blessed. It can be hard to focus on the blessings and harder to find time to thank God or spend quiet time with him in quiet. I was able to go to a prayer retreat this week and learned a new prayer focus skill called zentangle and just in doing this while I am praying my mind doesn’t wander and I can focus more on what I am saying to God. I never thought I would be so blessed by learning a skill. God is truly with us when we feel like we are drowning. Isn’t it wonderful ladies that all we have to do is take a deep breath and realize we can breathe in the wonderful peace that he brings.

20. This study has blessed me (and my family) in more ways than I can truly count. Isn’t it wonderful when we finally realize that our chaos and stress can be subdued but talking, heartfelt talking, to our Lord. Yes, I admit, last week, when I read “The Accomplisher”, it was like a mirror reflecting all that I was (and wasn’t). This week, understanding more and more the power of our Lord’s Word, and praying to him, just fills my heart and relieves my stress. I have tried much to take away the woes of this world, yet when we started this book, I have felt the relief in my shoulders, and have seen the smile return to my face (and watched it in others as I have shared the message). Simple and powerful. We can do this ladies – together in Christ we can change ourselves and each other. Now, when I feel stressed, my mind reflects a picture of Jesus hugging me, enveloping me, holding me, taking my stress away – and my life returns to one of hope. Thanks to all of our leaders for your inspiration. God’s Blessings to All!!

21. Renee D says:

I am definitely looking forward to another week of Stress-less living! I thank God for somehow finding this OBS while looking online, I can’t even remember where I was that I saw link to Proverbs 31 ministries, but I know it was all God getting me here. I was at one of the lowest lows with stress, anxiety, and fear. But I can say through counseling and this OBS I am better and leaning on God. May God bless you Ladies through another week. :-)

22. Jada Smith says:

Looking forward to week 9! :)

23. Shirley says:

I am reading chapter nine tonight and look forward to the discussions this week!

24. Tiffany says:

I am excited about this chapter and our memory verse!

25. I cannot believe that we are starting week 9 already!! Time sure flys when you are having a great time….learning, reading, mapping, memorizing, praying, reading some more, sharing, ETC.ETC. I even found myself mapping the verses that were used in last night’s church service!!! I LOVE VERSE MAPPING!! It just makes so much more sense that way….and so much more personal. LOVE IT.

• Irma Bustos says:

Deb-you nailed it right on the head, I feel the same way about this study I love it and it is changing my life so much. Thanks for sharing your feelings.

26. I love that He walks beside me when times get rough and assures me that the things of life, no matter what, won’t overwhelm me!…why???? Because He is The Lord my God! That’s why.

27. Stephanie Rowland says:

Wow, I just sent a prayer request then I read the scripture for Monday!!! Man I needed to hear that! God is so good and I love this passage of scripture, I have to let myself really think about the fact that he has called me by name!!!!! Even when I’m in the fire I will not be burned or overtaken by the waters in a storm! Thank you Jesus and Thank you ladies for your dedication.
    God Bless you all
    Stephanie R

28. Eac Reflection Verse Gives Me New Thoughts And Understanding And It Seems A New Point Of View Each Time I Delve In

29. Karen R. says:

I am excited for this chapter! I cannot believe we are almost at the end! :(
    I am so very, very thankful that through this study I was turned on to verse mapping. Someone here said it was like an addiction and I agree! LOL
    Okay, let’s get started!!!

30. Thank you for the reminder that God is in control of everything!

31. Paige Ward says:

Thank you for this weeks verse. I needed it.

32. I’ve already zoomed through this chapter, too. I suppose I was looking for weapons more than I really admitted in my heart to doing. It is amazing and I can’t wait to discuss it!

33. I love this verse! One of my favorites!! Such a good reminder.

34. Lynda Parker says:

Good Morning! I verse mapped this verse and it was sooooo reassuring and PERSONAL for me! I absolutely love this verse! But I felt a need to comment again today. I lost my Mom and daughter-in-law within the last two years and recently “almost” lost my husband. I am so thankful the Lord “covered” him and I believe he is going to recover! I am from Oklahoma and all of my family live in the area where the tornado’s just ravaged OKC area two different times. I have a friend that totally lost her house a second time. The first time in May 10, 1999 and she lost it again May 21, 2013. I am so worried about her now since the Friday night tornado’s. My family and many many friends are all safe but they were so close! I KNOW He truly loves us, but I can’t help but ask WHY? I know the saved and unsaved are affected by something like this. I know God is in control of it ALL! I just can’t help but wonder about something that is way beyond my understanding! It hurts my heart!

• Lynda Parker says:

I thought about this verse all day, then read Donna B’s prayer, and thought about how blessed my family and I are! I really do love this study AND God’s Word! Thank you girls for making it “come alive!”

35. Vanessa says:

Me and my husband have been in the fire and let me tell you God is working in the midst of us. Our circumstances have not changed but our hearts have!!! I’m praising God for going through this storm with us and I’m excited to see how He works all this out. Our Sunday school teacher said yesterday in his lesson that David didn’t come out to fight the giant with a cocky attitude, he came out with a for sure attitude!!!! I just loved that!!! Thank you ladies prayers are being answered and sometimes it may not be in a physical need but in a spiritual need and it’s just what we needed. The power of God to come down!!! Our marriage was being attacked, my job you name it!!! But God is so much bigger!!!!

Love
    Vanessa

36. I am blessed when I feel the pain in my legs or vision blurs. It makes me thankful because I have an illness that causes my extremities to go numb and affect my vision. I am thankful for just being able to feel things and to see. God is so awesome

37. Lynn Graham says:

this is one of my favorite verses, because I have fears and the scripture is saying do not fear for I have redeemed you.

38. I hope these studies never end. THEY ARE SUCH A BLESSING TO ME!!!!!!!!!

39. The last chapter has helped me to see the correct way to handle stress, I am dealing with a stressful situation in my life.Will I get senior housing. I have made an application and turned the situation over to God.I am not able to handle this alone!!!!I KNOW GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF ME.God bless all of my dear sisters in this study!!!!!!!

40. Michelle says:

I am so thankful for all the encouragement to stay focused. I have been behind, but I hope to get caught up this week.