Jun 12

SLL Week 10, Day 3

Steph here again! And I have ants in my pants today for three reasons, and that’s a lot of ants!

• First of all, today is officially my first day of summer vacation!!!!
  • Second, I get to share about the best conference of all time EVER! – The Proverbs 31 Ministries She Speaks Conference.
  • Third, there are instructions at the bottom of the post for you to upload your picture from the Monday assignment for all to see (thank you Heather Bleier, OBS Exec Team Member for setting up the picture link!)

So let’s get right to number one! SUMMER VACAY!!!!! If there is one lady who knows how to do summer right, it is Lysa Terkeurst! How do I know, because I read her Friday Favorites posts and she gives the most awesome ideas…things she likes to call “summer sanity savers”. And let me tell you, with an 8 year old girl and and 11 year old boy, I need someone to re-deliver my sanity on a daily basis! In her last Friday post she mentioned nail polish, lavender, bubble baths, and movies…can you say YES PLEASE!!!! Be sure to visit her blog and check out her Friday posts, and for that matter – all her posts!!!

Now on to number two! The Proverbs 31 She Speaks Conference!  This amazing conference combines fantastic information from industry leaders and professionals, worship experiences with phenomenal musicians, the power of prayer, one on one coaching, dynamic and engaging keynote speakers (Michael Hyatt and Lysa Terkeurst!!!!), and one rockin’ sisterhood experience all wrapped into one amazing Spirit filled – life changing weekend. A weekend you have to experience to believe. A weekend I wouldn’t trade for the world.

This will be my third She Speaks. I attended once as a participant and will be teaching a session for the second time this year titled “Walking beside the Brokenhearted”. If you are at all interested in speaking, writing, or women’s ministry, you will definitely want to consider attending. Not only will you experience God in a powerful way, you will also be empowered, equipped, and encouraged in your calling to serve Him. Click here to learn more about the conference and how you can sign up. The conference hotel is full, but there are still spots for the conference and other hotel options. Plus I want you to come so I can give you a big ole hug, or maybe even lay across your lap like Heather Bleier did last year!!!

she speaks 2

And last but certainly not least…here are the instructions to upload the pictures you have been working so hard on! I can’t wait to see how God has spoken to you in visual images! Many of you have sent them to me, but be sure to upload them here as well!

YOUR TURN TO SHARE!!!

There are so many ways to share today!!!! You can share about your summer plans or something you LOVE about summer! You can share about She Speaks – if you are going, you want to go, you have been, or you are still trying to decide (please comment and let us know if you are coming because we want to know so we can make plans to meet you!) And finally you can share your picture, words about your picture, or how God’s Word is impacting you and those around you! I have even more ants in my pants as I get excited to see all your comments and pictures! I love you girls waaaaayyyyy BIG!!!!

Love, Steph

Comments

1. Bree (OBS Facebook Leader) says:

Just a few of my favorite things about summer: BBQs, watermelon, pool parties, it’s lighter later, and my birthday.

2. Lori K (OBS Group Leader) says:

What I love about summer – fishing, boating, camping (when we can go), homegrown fruits and vegetables, roses on my rose bushes, and s’mores.

3. Brenda E says:

What I love about summer-no homework, going to the beach,working in my flower garden, and a more relaxed schedule with my children.

4. Janet F says:

Swimming with my grandkids, grilling hamburgers,beautiful flowers, bird watching of Baltimore Orioles, hummingbirds, cardinals, and no scooping snow and no freezing cold temps!! The longer days. The smell of fresh cut grass :)

5. Good morning! I just got to Maine and am at my parents’ house for 2 weeks. That’s my favorite summer tradition! I can’t wait to see everyone’s pictures to illustrate our verse. Great chapter and great week! Thank you for leading us, Stephanie!
    Love and Prayers,
    Beth A. (OBS Group Leader)

6. Summer gives me time to breathe….. and better yet….. time to spend with my two teenage children. With my son away at college most of the year and my daughter busy with school activities, we are often running here, there, everywhere… When summer comes I actually get to reacquaint myself with my children and what is going on in their heads. We get to have long talks and we even manage to get my husband to give up a couple of days of work to slip away for some family time. (He is a bigger work-horse than even I am!)

• Stella – I. Hear. That. (The husband work-horse thing.) I pray your time with your kids is blessed for you all!

7. My summer favorites: Baseball, Smith’s Hot Dogs on the grill, going to the beach and campfires in our back yard with friends and family.

8. Debbie W. (OBS Group Leader) says:

What I love about summer – evenings in the pool with my husband and walks in the morning before it gets hot and yard work.

9. What I love about summer is the warmth of the sun, sitting down at the lake as the water washes upon the shore. To see the families gathered together at the beach sharing time together, and everyone outside walking, talking and sharing.

10. LOVED snapping that picture last year of you 4 or I guess 5 since Heather pregnant :)

11. Vanessa says:

I had my verse written on a band aide and as I went through the day I looked at if often. God has given me a few assignments this week that has prompted me to write yet another verse for the day and place it on the inside of my wrist.

Today I will be taking a friend of mine who is dying of cancer to Duke for her treatments. We will be spending two days together; I’m not good with hospitals and these treatments make her really sick. I have Romans 15:13 written on a band aide to help us to keep our hope, joy, and peace in God as we do this together.

Also my son who has severe adhd is very addicted to drugs and alcohol and yesterday I found out that he spent over $2000 in one night at a night club. This just tore me up knowing that so many hungry and hurting people are out there that are struggling. Please pray for my son that God will show him that he was made for more.

So far my summer assignments have not been what I expected but Jesus is in the practical details of the day; the verses for the day have really helped me to look to God and focus on His reactions and not mine… Thank you all for praying!!

Love
    Vanessa

• Vanessa, thank you for sharing of some of your pain so that we can pray for you. As the sibling of a brother who has sever ADHD and has traveled very hard down the road of life so far, I am going to commit to praying for your son (and YOU!) each day this week. Your attitude of perseverance is already shining through. I also pray that your time with your friend, at Duke, is a blessing to you both.

• Vanessa says:

Missy thank you for praying… You do not know how much this means to be lifted up in prayer by someone who understands this. I too prayed for everyone who is going through this adhd struggle with loved ones. May God help us be determined not to give up or give in but to keep persevering in Him. Thank you so much for praying; I know God is hearing our prayers!! I’m asking God to help me get all distractions out of my mind and be able to be 100% focused on helping my friend Teresa for the next two days..

Love
        Vanessa

12. Paige Ward says:

I love being able to have my doors and windows open! :)

13. Today my daughter graduates from high school :). She is our baby. Empty Nesting is looming in the near future! I love summer b/c of a new change of pace. Having more time to soak in God’s Word in the mornings is my favorite. Cleaning out rooms, closets, etc. is refreshing, too!

14. What I love about summer? Hhmmmm…in the past, summer hasn’t been my favorite season. It’s so hot in humid in TX! However, God has given me the gift of being a stay @ home (I haven’t been home with my kiddos for the summer in 10 years) so I am looking forward to just being present with them, hanging out by the pool, reading books with them, goofing off, serving along side in VBS, having their friends hang out our house, etc.

So, I’m not sure how long I will have as a stay @ home mom so I plan to spend my summer being thankful, praising God for this gift & loving up on my family!

15. Jeanie Kelley says:

Favorite things to do during the summer is all the above that I read like Bar B Ques and swimming and just relaxing. But also the time the kids have at church. This is the first year that I have taken off from Pass Port. This is like a VBS, but it is on Sunday’s throughout the summer. We have different centers that the kids go to to learn about Jesus and who he is. My husband is working in the Tabernacle where they actually reconstruct the tabernacle and give a lesson on it from Sunday to Sunday. Then on the last Sunday kids and their parents can come in and tour what happened there. My son Daniel is doing games this year. Usually if I was working, I would be working in the missions room where they have different missionaries come and explain what they do in the country or state they are working in. Every year they have had the Christian biker Association and the kids are always happy to see the bikes.

• Jeanie – your Pass Port sounds amazing. I’m thinking that my son would be in awe over the Christian Biker Association more than anything else. 😉 Just from the way you described it above, it sounds like God is allowing you a little sabbatical of your own. Enjoy it!

16. Jenny M says:

My summer favorites — all the flowers that are in bloom, sunsets, laying by the pool with family and friends, cookouts, yard work, looking around everyday and just being amazing at God’s wonderful creation and being thankful that I am able to enjoy the beauty of it :)

17. Ginny Blankenship says:

She Speaks is one of those things on my “bucket list”. I pray for the day that God opens a door for me to attend for several reasons. First, the workshops sound A-MAZING! Second, I would love to me some of my OBS gals face to face and get to hang out with them. Third, I have some ideas rattling around in my head and would love to have some guidance on how to get them out and on paper.

Thanks Steph for the reminder of Lysa’s Sanity Savers and to Heather for fixing things so we can share our pictures here! You gals are awesome!

18. TJ Conner says:

I started today with a prayer, a plea, before I even got out of bed today. I am getting pressured to take one path and I am not sure that’s the path God wants me on. I am trying to determine it its His will and wait for an answer. I hate being pressured. In addition – there’s always more, isn’t there. Time crunches and pressure from others are perfect ingredients for stress.
    I don’t get a summer for 4th year in a row. My last job had me running so hard that I didn’t get to enjoy it at all. This year is the stress of getting jobs in time for the move and the deadline for our lease ending and the house selling.
    O Lord, my Lord, I am calling you to you cause I can’t do this without you.

19. I’m a high school teacher and today is my first day of summer vacation. I feel a little mom guilt about sending my daughter off to daycare. But I’m at the end of my first trimester of pregnancy and am exhausted. I may just sleep all day. After I spend some quality time with God. This summer I will reset and renew my spirit. A big part of that is going to be centered on God. Now that I really have the time to focus on just God I’m going to do that. I am also very much looking forward to spending time home with my daughter. I always wanted to be able to work less when we had kids, but that just didn’t work out. So my summer off with my kiddo is very precious to me. It’s going to be a great summer! :)

• Andrea, don’t you feel an ounce of guilt. God allows us the space to breathe (or NAP!) when we need it. I pray this summer is a precious time for you and your daughter – and as you prepare to welcome another little heart into your home.

20. Lauren Beach(OBS Group Leader) says:

My picture above was made to go with my Cross Collections thanks to Stephanie’s inspiration and challenge from Monday ~ this will remind me daily that no matter what God heals, he heals my hurt, he heals the pain, he heals my heart and my soul!

Summer ~ to be honest, really not my fave because it gets way too hot! But I do love the fact that I get to fish more.

21. Summer beckons me mightily! We visit the grandparents and aunts, uncles, and cousins in Florida. I get to see my husband relax and work a tad less and play a bit more with the children. My reading list makes a steady decline. Ahhh, I’m breathing in deeply just thinking about it!

AND, I am attending She Speaks for the first time in July! I’ve mentioned it a time or 4 already, so I hesitate to tell you how stinkin’ excited I am for this. It’s been a dream in my heart for almost a decade!

This project, Psalm 147:3, has been much more needed than I thought at first. I found myself looking longingly at that heart I created these last few nights. And thankfully. Thank you for such a creative project idea, Stephanie!

22. Marie (Ree) says:

One of my fondest childhood memories of Summer is sitting under the shade of a huge Oak Tree in my Grandmother’s back yard. She would make homemade ice cream and let my brother and sisters and I take turns cranking the handle. We didn’t have a swimming pool but had tons of fun squirting each other with the water hose too! The week of Vacation Bible School was always a summer highlight!

23. I wasn’t sure where to keep my verse card so that I would always see it, read it, and think about it, so I decided the best place was to use as my bookmark for the latest book I am reading!

What I love most about summer is being able to sit outside on my front porch with a cup of coffee and my knitting, or a good book, listening to some music, and just enjoy the warmth of the summer air.

24. Summer- a time to relax at the lake, picnic, read, exercise, swim, lye on the beach and soak in God’s beauty. These are a few of the things I love about summer.
    I really would love to go to the She Speaks Conference I’ve been praying God will provide financially so I can attend. I really hope He provides a way!!!

25. I adore all things summer except humidity and those pesky flying insects!! Haha. And, I am going to the She Speaks conference and cannot wait to attend and see what God has in store!!

26. Katrina says:

I don’t think there’s anything I don’t love about summer! I’m definately a summer kinda gal! The sunshine, warm days, bbq’s & other outdoor activities, all the beautiful flowers and birds – what’s not to love? This summer is going to be particularly fantastic because I get to attend She Speaks! Can’t wait to meet all the P31 & OBS gals that are attending too and to see what God has in store for future!

27. Marie (Ree) says:

Our Little Town
    Marie (Ree) from TN
    Badminton tournaments
    And a croquet match,
    Playin hide and seek
    And a game of catch.

Ridin bikes all day
    ‘Til the sun went down,
    This was summer fun
    In our little town.

Makin mud pies
    And playin hop scotch,
    Sittin in the bleachers
    A baseball game to watch.

Doing Cartwheels and
    Swinging on the front porch swing.
    Spinning 45 records and
    We’d sing and sing and sing!

Climb the Red Bud tree
    In Mama’s front yard,
    Hanging from a limb
    Like they were monkey bars.

Much simpler times
    Nothin seemed hard…
    We loved catchin fireflies
    In a mason jar!

No playstation
    Or MP3
    No cell phones
    Or games called Wii.

No money or treasure
    Could buy its worth,
    Just fun in the sun
    On God’s green earth!

• Some of my favorite summer things: reading lots of books for the library book club, swimming at the pool, outdoor concerts, grilling in the backyard, day trips to the Botanic Garden or the Brookfield Zoo, Cubs baseball, bike rides to the park or to get ice cream!

• Diane W. says:

I love, love, love this!!! It reminded me of my summers as a kid!

• Diane W. says:

Sorry! I commented under the one below. I love your poem! It reminds me of being a kid! I love summer and always have!

28. Phyllis Wiley says:

Favorite things? Beach week . . . waking up to the serenade of all the birds . . .
    fresh cut flowers . . . vegetables from the farmers market . . . sunshine . . . summer thunderstorms . . . green grass . . .

29. Nancy Miksad says:

Favorite thing about summer is my toes feel sand a heck of a lot more. I love the feel of the sun on my skin and the sensation when you are hot and you dive into the pool ~ it’s so refreshing. I love watermelon . . . it’s a part of summer.

This is when I wish I didn’t have a ‘dumb’ phone ~ my picture of healing from Jesus would be of the beach. Whenever I am there He just rains down on me, as I walk along the sand and waves wash up against my ankles it’s Him and me and He comforts me and lets me know it’s going to be okay. So my picture is the beach

30. The conference sounds amazing and what wouldn’t be to love abut getting away and being with fellow sister’s in Christ and learning and having fun?! Summer is an awesome time of growth and beauty. I appreciate it for the smells of the woods and streams and pine needle heating up. The long walks and animals all busy doing their things. I was blessed to watch a mother robin feeding her baby in my yard the other morning. Just so much to be thankful for. God shows us his handy work each and every day. Thank you Lord for your gift of summer and we praise you for your great and magnificent love to us. Amen

31. What I love about Summer is watching my kids play. Our days are so busy during the year I don’t have nearly enough time to watch them just being kids like I do in the Summer.

32. She Speaks sounds so fun! Is this the same conference about writing that y’all talked about earlier?

My summer favorites: sleeping late, watching morning shows & slowing sipping & enjoying my coffee, lunch dates with friends, laying outside in the sun reading a good book, grilling out, sitting on the porch at night listening to the frogs & crickets, watching (or catching) lightning bugs, fresh cut grass, summer rain, ball field, a churn of homemade icecream, splashing in the creek, tubing down the river, traveling & vacations with my husband and family. i. love. summer.

33. Sherri J says:

I love the down time from a busy school year as a single mom. I also love the longer days as I don’t get home until 6 and I can still get out and do some activities without it seeming so late.

34. Christina says:

Some of my favorite things about summer: it stays light later, bbq, pool time, slower days with less to do.

35. I love summer time as well. I like just being on a raft in my pool, soaking up some sunshine. I love just staring up at the blue sky and just being still before a Wonderful creator. I love spending time out on the lake as well. I love going on picnics, backyard BBQs, and just hanging out with family and friends.
    I’ve not attended the She Speaks Women’s Conference, but would like to go sometime.

36. Love love swimming with my kids! My oldest who is 2 1/2 just started jumping in, its so cute! My parents also have a lake house down in Kentucky that we visit in the summer. So glad its finally getting warmer. Oh yea and i live in Flip Flops all summer long :) that is one of my must haves of summer. :)

37. Karen Wilson says:

my tomato plants
    (summer is hard working full-time year-round with so many off and very little vacation) but I do love the smell of my tomato plants and home grown taste
    and going to the beach

38. Mary (OBS group 44 leader) says:

I love to sit by the lake, watch the ducks swim by and read a good, fun book. Put my feet up and feel the cool breeze off the water. LOVE that I have no place to be and no reason to look at my watch… all day long! :)

39. lynn fincher says:

I am looking forward to visiting with my best friend Mary Baker in Florida and also seeing family in Florida as well as going to Kentucky for the first time with my husband who will be attending a class there at Asbury..We are also having VBS at our church all day on a Saturday first time doing it in one day. A lot of fun stuff going on and I can.t wait!!! :)Thank You Lord for all these blessings.. :)

40. Lynda Parker says:

I had to have help, but I my picture is posted. I chose this picture of Haley, my 10 year old granddaughter. I can’t help but get a “picture” of Haley in my head when I see a vision for the verse Psalm 147:3. Haley lost her Mom at 8 years old and still misses her Mom very much. I absolutely see the Lord’s healing in her life! Haley is an absolute joy, so loving and caring! She is special needs and still doesn’t read. I would love prayer for her! I am so thankful P31 and Melissa’s OBS have been so much a part of our life during this time! You can’t even imagine how you all are impacting someone’s life!

41. The She Speaks conference sounds AMAZING!!! I wish I could experience something like that. I would love to zone in on my call to ministry. :-)

42. Rebekah says:

I live in Wisconsin and love summer because it finally warms up!! I love warm weather and everything about being outside in the sunshine from running to gardening to even just relaxing and soaking up the rays!! Thank you Jesus for summer smiles!!

43. Karen R. says:

I love sitting by the pool, reading a good book (Stressed-Less Living) and flip flops!! :)

44. I love summer parties and swimming! Wish I had a pool. :( Parties seem more fun when everyone can mingle outside! Luckily all 3 of my kids are summer babies! Planning my daughter’s 7th birthday party next week! Praying for money and time. Thank you for today’s post!

45. Summer moonlight walks, watermelon, and Navy Pier in Chicago are absolute favorites in the summer. Along with spending time at Lake Michigan at the beaches in the city, oh and all the festivals form the ones in the neighborhoods to the Taste of Chicago! Walking on he beach, and being in the big city shopping!

46. I live in New England and summer is a short season. I don’t like the humidity that summer can bring.Two weeks ago I walked in Relay for Life on an extremely hot day.Lucky I didn’t pass out lol.Even despite the heat I did it being twice a cancer survivor!!!!!!!Not bad for a woman who will be 63 on the 27th of June LOL

47. One of my favorite things about summer is you don’t have to worry about cabin fever.Also you don’t have to worry about snow and icey roads and side walks.

48. I love the images! Some of these are fantastic. I love how we can use all our sense to learn and worship an awesome God!!!

I wish this year was time for me to go to She Speaks. Just one more thing I will have to be patient for God’s timing on.

49. My picture is of a restoration. It is a desk my grandpa made for me that got broken, but my dad restored it to its former glory. So grateful for the awesome men of God in my life.

I think I linked my picture wrong. The link is there but I should have probably put it as the display image as well. Sorry about that ya’ll I was gonna try to fix it but I couldn’t. :)

I am super excited for summer break to start because I am off to Tennessee on mission trip and might be taking a good friend. God is awesome!! Can’t wait to see how He is going to show up and show off :) We are taking 50 adults and teens so please be in prayer for us.

Hope you all had a wonderful Wednesday :)

50. Lee Roberts says:

My favorite thing about summer used to be going to the beach. I won’t get to go this year but maybe next year. I love the feel of the sand between my toes and the waves and the peacefulness of God’s creation. It was also the time to spend more time with my family and we usually went on mission trips during the summer. I love summer.