Dec 3

Welcome to My New Blog Home!

Welcome Y’all!  Isn’t my new blog just so lovely?  I’m really proud of it. There were some very talented ladies who worked hard make it pretty and useful. Rebecca and Mandy, thank you so much on a job super well done! I couldn’t be more happy with it!

For anyone who might be visiting me for the first time ever or the first time in a while, welcome…or welcome back! Between 2011-2013 my blog kind of transformed from a regular blog where I shared what was on my heart to a full time online Bible study hub where thousands of women from all over the world gathered to do Bible study together. While the Bible study is still going strong, it has moved. I received one of the best blessings ever, when I became the director of Online Bible Studies at Proverbs 31 Ministries. When that happened the Bible study moved from here to there.  So now, anyone interested can join a free online Bible study over on the Proverbs 31 OBS blog or you can just hang out with me here and join me in talking about life and stuff…or you can do both!

What you need to know about me~ well not really need to to…but I’m going to tell you anyway~

I love Jesus and that will never change. My life isn’t glamorous or neat & tidy. In fact, it’s messy. I have issues. There are things that really get on my nerves. It seems like there is usually a circumstance I’m going through that is out of my control and challenges my trust of God. But I choose to trust Him and that’s what gets me through. And He keeps on loving me despite me! Thank you Lord!

I love my family. I’ve been married to Jeff for 23 years and we have 4 children. Blake, 20, is a sophomore at Appalachian State University. Hayden, 18, is a senior in high school. Dylan, 16, is a sophomore in high school. Hayley Grace, 12, is in the 7th grade. Maggie and Princess (both are 9) are the cutest doggies you ever did see. We are an imperfect bunch who strive to live together in harmony and I think we do that well. We tackle the world together, but we also have a lot of fun together too. Best of all, we pray for each other. I can always count on prayer from them. Pictured below: Hayden, Dylan holding Maggie, Jeff, Blake holding Princess, me, and Hayley Grace

Taylor Family w dogs Blake's graduation

I love people. I love hanging out with people…in person and online. I love connecting with friends on my blog, in online Bible study, on Twitter  (@MelissaRTaylor) and on Instagram (MelissaRTaylor) . Unlike many, I do believe that meaningful friendships can be made online. I have many really good friends that I have never met in person. There is no criteria to be my friend…except that you are nice to me :)

I love life! Life in general intrigues me. People, places, animals, things, music…I can find joy in the littlest things.

I love college football. South Carolina Gamecocks & Appalachian State Mountaineers. That will never change either. :)  See below, my husband Jeff, great friend Amy, and me getting ready to watch our Gamecocks play…and win!

Gamecock Football Blog 2013

I love Walt Disney World. As you can see, Goofy and I are great friends.

Walt Disney World Love 2013 Goofy

I don’t love getting out of bed in the morning, but once I’m up, I’m good.

I like to watch TV and some of the shows you might not approve of. They aren’t rated R or anything like that, but some might think I’m filling my brain with useless material. I don’t take it seriously though. TV helps me unwind and just chill when I’ve been going non stop all day.

I get to work with some of the most amazing ladies God ever created at Proverbs 31 Ministries & P31 OBS. Seriously, my job isn’t like a job at all. It’s like a passion, hobby, and calling all wrapped into one. I love being the Online Bible Studies Director, I love the OBS team, and I have to limit the time I spend working so I can balance my life in a healthy way. I love my job that much. Pictured below, some of our awesome P31 OBS ladies on the Girls’ Getaway Cruise last October.

OBS Team Cruise

I need to lose weight. Not so I’ll look good, but because I’m not at a healthy weight for me right now. You’ll hear more about this I’m sure. #struggle #ugh #haha

I believe there is hope in any and every situation. I believe there is hope for every person. I believe we are all worth fighting for.

And I also believe I’ve written enough for my first blog post in such a long time.

Whether you are here for the first time or we are old friends, thank you so much for visiting my blog home today. Let’s try to get together a few times a week and just chat about life and stuff. You can sign up to receive my blog in the top right hand column, that way you won’t need to remember to visit. But I want you to know, you are always welcome and invited here. It’s my prayer you can feel that.

I’ve told you a lot about me, now tell me about you. In the comment section, please share some things about yourself. I love to read notes from my bloggy friends and hear what’s going on in your life too!

Happy Day! Thanks again for stopping by :)

Comments

1. Hi Melissa! Your new blog design is beautiful. I love the color palette. Perhaps you returning to personal blogging will inspire me to start writing again as well! I feel like I have all this stuff in my head to write about, but not enough time in the day to do it, ya know? Hope you are well and I look forward to reading more!

2. Connie Fleming says:

Great blog, Melissa. I love you because you are so real. You put it out there with honesty and conviction. I connected with you originally because we both lost our Mom’s to cancer. We both survived, thanks to God!

Reading your blog brings me joy. Keep living life and sharing. You are an inspiration!

3. Denise Collins says:

LOVE your new blog and so glad you are back!! You are such an inspiration and encourager!

4. Melissa! Love the new blog! Love that we are going to get to spend some time with you here as well! So thankful for your heart for OBS, our heart for family, and most of all your heart for Jesus! My relationship with Jesus has grown leaps and bounds since I have surrounded myself with so many REAL people working hard to live for Jesus – and that have a desire to serve! Mark 10:45 I love you my sweet friend!

5. I loved your story, Melissa! It’s so easy to think that the Christian sisters at Proverbs 31 have perfect lives. None of us do which is why your stories and others are so uplifting. I took my journal on the commuter train into Chicago today with “A Confident Heart.” All OBS studies have built my faith and Renee’s book has certainly helped build my confidence. I arrived in downtown Chicago praising God because “I am worthy.” This is has not been my standard message to myself but the studies are inspiring me.

Like the other wonderful women I’ve read about in OBS comments, my life has challenges. I started the year finding a lump in my breast, had it diagnosed as malignant, had a double mastectomy/reconstruction, and worked through all those emotions with prayer. My husband and I have been married for 11 years and he is truly a gift from God. My ex-husband verbally abused me and told me I was stupid whenever he could. I have four adult children who learned from him and their aunt (the ex’s sister) has convinced them that they need to support their father. As a result, I am estranged from all four children. They do ask me for money, which is very difficult. I was blessed with two wonderful, loving parents and was convinced for YEARS that they were the only people who would ever truly love me. I took care of both of my parents before they passed but was smart enough to appreciate them everyday of my life.

I have always been an optimist but my ex’s abuse took its toll. If not for Jesus, I’d be completely lost. It took years of my current husband trying to convince me that I was worthy to be loved but trusting in the Lord with all my heart has made me feel like a new person. Others feel that I am an accomplished woman but only Jesus makes me feel that INSIDE.

Thank you for all you do and for inviting our comments.

6. Nancy Sweatland says:

You have a beautiful family. We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. Nancy & Gordon Sweatland

7. Your blog is awesome! I Have been truly blessed with P31 OBS. I am a mother of two young adults, adjusting to my second marriage, blending three more adult children and a grand son. Oh dont let me forget, surgery in July and an anuerysm in September. Life is amazing and challenging, but with God in it all things are possible. I love yor words of encouragement, they bless me and others tremendously as i do share them. I thank God for your transparency and your goodness, and for P31. Keep the blessings flowing.

Blessings to you and your family.

Judi

8. Debbie Allen says:

Melissa,
    I love your new blog and I think you are a beautiful woman and a beautiful person! I’m so happy (and envious :) that you have your dream job, I’m sure it makes life a little bit easier and going to work everyday a lot easier! Keep up the excellent work you are doing of making stronger and more disciples of Christ in everyone you touch with your words. I love how honest and sincere you are and how easy it is to connect with some of the personal stories you’ve shared with all of us. Take care and God bless, debbie

9. Carissa D. Huffman says:

Melissa–

Your new blog looks really nice! I am looking forward to chatting about life with you!

I am a 45 year old mommy of 4-year-old Conor, who we are now confirming is gifted, and a bit bored with his current daycare. He needs a space to open in the all-day preschool program run through the church where we attend services, and the Lord knows what this full-time employed mother needs. (I am benefitting a lot from the current P31 OBS of A Confident Heart!!) I desperately, passionately want to add to our family. I pray God will make a way–we have had 3 near-misses–2 miscarriages and 1 failed adoption attempt.

I work as a video relay interpreter–I interpret phone calls for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals via a videophone–personal, business, colorful–you name it, we interpret it! :) We attend a Deaf missions church. I, too, enjoy mind-escaping TV sometimes, as well as reading really compelling fiction like Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti. I sing pretty well, I guess (people tell me so), and I love music of most any kind–even the Christian kids’ band Go Fish and the Disney-launched indie kids’ band the Imagination Movers. We are football fans, too–we follow the Iowa Hawkeyes, Colorado Buffaloes, and the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, as well as our state tournament semifinalist Bettendorf High School Bulldogs!

I, too, need to lose weight for better health. I need to buckle down and get more organized in many aspects of my life.

I love having a bloggy firend like you! You bless so many with your transparency and your sold-out attitude for Jesus!

Blessings!
    Carissa from eastern Iowa

10. Hello, Melissa loved your new blog and reading about you and family and friends and all your pictures too. My name is Felicia 40 years old and a single mother of a 16 year old daughter name Linda. Shes in Royalty drill team and dance team, Spanish club and En Croix a Bible study group too.Thanks Felicia

11. Hi Melissa,

I am looking forward to reading your blogs. I took my first online bible study with you about two months ago- What Happens When Women Say yes to God. P31 is such an amazing enviroment and I truly felt like it fits my personality and my schedule when trying to obtain a better relationship with God.

I am 36 years old and a mother to a very busy, cute, funny, and smart 14 month old. He is truly a blessing and a gift from God. Thank you for opening your life to us all and I look forward to reading more from you!

Stay blessed.

12. Stephanie W says:

Hey Melissa!! Thanks for the update!! I’ve been missing for a while….I’m in the last trimester of my pregnancy with my third boy. Sleep and eat is all I wanna do!! So glad to read what’s going on with you these days!! Looking forward to getting back in the swing of things real soon!!

13. Suzi Pierce says:

Hi Melissa! Really enjoying the bible studies and now I will enjoy your blog :)! Why is it after reading your first blog, I’m dying to know what shows you watch! LOL….because I’m wondering if I watch them too. I love connecting with “real” christian women who aren’t afraid to be honest and admit their struggles in their daily relationship with Jesus!!!

14. lenniemike says:

When you changed your site a few months ago, you disappeared from my computer completely. I tried to track you via the Proverbs 31 entries on Facebook, but that was complicated. I did a couple of the Bible studies, but then just “dropped out” due to too much going on in my life. Hope to re-connect after the holidays. Your new site is really nice and organized. It is so special to chat with Christian women who try to be the “best they can be” by having a closer walk with the Lord. Keep sharing your story and encouraging others to share theirs!

15. Melissa, I really enjoy your honesty. I am married to a great guy ( it will be 35 years in April 2014). We have two grown sons; one is married and living about an hour away. The other is about 3 hours away. They are great kids and I love our daughter-in-law and the younger son’s girlfriend. We have been blessed with a happy, healthy family. My goal this year is to keep the holidays easy and simple. Less decorating, fewer commitments. I work full time as a nurse in a large physician-owned practice. I love my job and see it as a way to share my love of God with others, both patients and co-workers. Myself and a co-worker actually knelt on the floor praising God a few weeks ago when we thought we lost a very important t piece of paper. When we found it, we spontaneously knelt down in front of everyone else and praised God. It was the best part of the day! I am on a two week vacation at home right now….ahhh. Catching up on my OBS and other reading. I happened upon you all by the recommendation of a bookstore owner who showed my Lysa’s book; the rest is history. I am so happy, less stressed and know where to look for answers when I am “losing it”. I could go on for another couple thousand words, but will end with ….Go Penn State! Love our Nittany Lions. You’ll hear a lot more from me……Love and Blessings

16. Love it, Melissa! The blog looks great and your first post back was great too :) Looking forward to hearing more from you on here!

17. Welcome back Melissa! I love the new blog page and it is nice to “catch up” with you away from OBS. I am thankful to have found P31 & love all of y’all … You do a fantastic job for The Lord! Looking forward to checking in regularly! :-)

18. CHRISTINA TEJADA says:

HEY MELISSA, CAN I ADD THAT’S MY DAUGHTERS NAME! I HAVE DONE ABOUT THREE OBS’S WITH YA’LL :) I WAS BORN IN CORPUS CHRISTI TX. I GOT A LIL COUNTRY IN ME AT HEART. RAISED IN YUBA CITY CALIFORNIA SINCE 10 YRS OLD SO IT KINDA MIXES WITH THE FARMING AND AGRICULTURE.. LOVE AVOCADOS! DONT LIKE FOR PPL TO TELL ME HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE MY PET PEV! LOL I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 6 YRS BUT BEEN WITH MY HUSBAND MIKE FOR 11 YRS ALONG THEN WE HAVE HAD FOUR BEAUTIFULLY BLESSED KIDS MIKE10, MELISSA 9, CHRISTINA 6, AND EMILIANO 3! THEY FORE FILL MY DAYS. I COULD NOT THINK OF HAVING MY LIFE ANY DIFFERENT. MY DAYS ARE FULL OF MOTHERLY DUTIES I STAY AT HOME AND SQUEEZE IN GOD WHICH I NEED TO GIVE MY SELF AND FAMILY A WHOLE LOT MORE OF GOD! I HAVE A BIG THIRST FOR GOD I WANT MY KIDS TO KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE LOOK FORWARD TO OF LIFE. JUST NEED A LIL HELP SO I PRAY BOUT THAT ONE. WELL I TOO DON’T LIKE MORNINGS IT TAKES ME A WHILE TO GET UP BEFORE I GET THE KIDS OFF TO SCHOOL. THEN IT TAKES OFF FROM THERE! WHOOOO! LOL WELL I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ADD ONE MORE THING I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO START A NEW OBS BUT STILL TRYING TO FINISH YES TO GOD. IT ALL STOPPED WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A CHURCH FOR MY FAMILY THEN THE ENEMY CRASHED MY PARADE. SO IM STARTING AGAIN.
    MELISSA THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ LIL BOUT ME HOPE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH YOU SOON!

19. Patricia D says:

Hi Melissa

I love your New Blog, A little about me my name is Patricia I have been married for 12 ys(2nd) I have 3 Sons Gregory (25) Jonathan (21) and Joshua (14) My husband’s name is Bruce We also have a 3 yr Dog named Bronx (he was a rescue dog ) My family and I live in Marietta Ga, after 3 yrs of living in a Homeless shelter we finally was able to get a house as my husband is a veteran and there is a program that help Veterans get a home (we rent) I am in my second OBS A Confident Woman and love it
    Melissa You have a beautiful family May God Continue the Blessings to your family

20. Love the new blog!

21. LOVE your new blog!! yay you!!

22. Hi Melissa,

I loved reading your blog! Thanks so much for continuing to share your heart! I intended to do your last online bible study but got sidetracked–however, I have kept every single email and intend to do it on my own this holiday season.

I am a high school drama teacher and I have a beautiful 9-year old son, Aksel, who will be 10 the day after Christmas.

I hear you on the weight thing! I have been doing Jenny Craig since August and am about 5 lbs. from my goal weight. It seems like the last five pounds are the hardest to lose but I hope and pray I will make it.

Take Care and I look forward to talking with you more frequently!! :)

Love,