Sep 15

Thirsty Again, Day 2

I began my day sitting on the front porch of my temporary home for the week in Israel. I don’t use the word perfect much, but this was pretty close to perfection.

QuietTimeSpaceInIsrael

I decided to read John 4 today. I began and got no further than the first story in this chapter, when Jesus talked to the Samaritan woman at the well.

I’ve read this story so many times and as I read it today, I had to stop and consider something pretty serious. In fact, not to exaggerate, but it’s life-altering. Just wait, I think you will agree.

In John 14:13, Jesus clearly states (about the water in the well):

Everyone who drinks from this water will be thirsty again.

I put my Bible down.

I thought about the water I drink. No matter how much I drink, Jesus is right. I’m not ever satisfied. I’m thirsty again.

How many times do I turn to something else, when what I really crave and need is Jesus?

I guzzle to find satisfaction and contentment in:

• my work
  • a good book
  • some delicious food
  • the people I’m with
  • exercise
  • bottled water
  • how important I feel

And that’s just for starters!

I note that some of these are good things. But good things don’t quench my thirst for very long.

Reading on in verse 14, Jesus continues with the answer, the solution to my never-ending quest for what will quench the thirst of my soul forever~

But whoever drinks from the water I give will never thirst.

As I closed my Bible and got up to head out for Day 2 in the Holy Land, I took a long drink from the Word, the living Word of God.  The “Word that became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” And if I keep drinking that, I will never be thirsty again.

Something to Think About

There is so much more to this story and I only highlighted a portion here. Check out the rest of story by reading John 4:1-42.

What are you thirsty for? Are you drinking from the water that guarantees you will never thirst? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Day 2 in Israel was filled with wonders, but honestly I’m still taking it all in trying to process it as I’ve asked God to give me a fresh revelation of His Spirit and His Word for today. I know I will be sharing this in the coming days, weeks, and probably months.

Search #P31JohnStudy and #P31Israel on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for more pictures from my trip!  And thank you for sharing in the comment section! Before I wrote this post, I read all the comments from my previous post and they seriously blessed me down to my core!

Alright, it’s bedtime here, so I’m out!  😉

Comments

1. Wow!! It is amazing how God speaks to you just when you need it. That is me today. I know the things of this world won’t satisfy, but God will.
    Thank you for sharing. :)

2. love the Word of God……and your love for HIM that you share…..Gods Peace

3. Meissa Chambers says:

John 4 and Jesus interaction with the Samaritan woman is my favorite of the Bible and your reflection of the Living Water as you are in the Holy Land stopped me in my tracks! I am minitering to a woman doubting God’s calling on her life as I am thirsty for the same but of confidence. I have and continue to drink from the Living Water how dare I doubt God has chosen me, equipped me and appointed me! Thank you Melissa, as you rediscover yourself on this amazing trip I feel God is working in my through your journey! Yay God!

4. Melissa, thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. I have never been very interested in the Holy Land until I heard Lysa talk about it. Now, hearing you, just makes me “thirsty” for more Jesus!!!! Prayers and Blessings! Love you Big!!!!

5. Denise Kamppi says:

Melissa, you have encouraged me sense before #P31, even with the bible you sent me with a little card from you. 3 years later you still encourage me and bless me beyond any words. I thank the Lord I found your bible study. And thank you for sharing your journey. A lot of Jesus loved sent your way. Denise Kampp I.

6. I love it when you are reading a passage that you have read many times before and BOOM it is like you are reading it for the first time. We have been studying the book of Acts in Sunday School and I am just amazed at the apostles, it is like I have never read Acts before. How the early church started, the Holy Spirit’s working thru the apostles and whatever was meant to stop the spread of the gospel just propelled it further. Always thirsty. Continue having a great time.

7. Mary Tullila says:

I watch my fountain outside alot…your post reminds me of every single drop i see and reflect on. May our Lord touch your spirit mighty each moment you are there.

8. Melissa, I have been immensely blessed by the posts from P31’s trip! Tonight, as you feel so close to Jesus, tracing His path, drinking His word…I have a prayer request. I am a Jesus girl, a She Speaks Alumni who has found herself lost in an ocean of grief and self-doubt. I’ve cried buckets over my marriage but know only Jesus can restore our family. At this moment I know all we need is Him. Only Him. But I am weak, worn out and confused. If I am honest? I have closed our messy doors until His voice seems but a whisper. Tonight as I sobbed, head in hands, your team travels came to my heart. Would you, in this most sacred of places lift us up to Him? I pray He would transform us all to love Him fiercely, and that one day this time would be just a challenging, transformative part of our testimony. That I would have a voice for Him again. That I could live boldly, not for me but living out His will for my life .That this experience would make us stronger and our two tiny girls closer to Christ. This is my prayer in the name of Christ, who loved Me and My Family so much that he died for our sins. May your travels be blessed. I love all of you at P31!

• Consider it done Michelle! I’m praying for you and your family and your dreams in the name of Jesus tonight. You hang on, remaining obedient and faithful. Stay in His Word every day~connect with God in your conversation and pour out your heart to Him. I promise you this: God is faithful. He does not abandon us. “Come near to God and He will come near to you.” (James 4:8) With God all things are possible. ALL THINGS! (Matthew 19:26)

Blessings to you and your family,

9. So glad you know where to quench your thirst. I’m so glad your sharing your thoughts and telling what it looks like. Some of us may never get to go but we can see it and touch it through your eyes. Love you.

10. Connie Vorwald says:

What a fantastic reminder. I too find myself drinking the “good” stuff when “the best”, His living Word, is what I am truly in need of. Praying His fresh anointing for you sweet sister!

11. Melissa thank you so much for your message. I have been learning the lesson of God’s best over good things. This gave me an added benefit of never thirsting again.

12. Michelle, I will pray for you and your family.
    I too have been drinking for “good” stuff and some not so good stuff.
    I need to drink deep into the living water. I tend to look to people. I even sent you, Melissa, an email hoping to get the answer I needed. The truth being. God is the place to look. Yes, God can and does use others, but he is our true source of all.

13. Yesterday when I was driving about an hour away for my daughter’s volleyball game you came to my mind Melissa. I thought about how far apart we are from each other and how big our world is and how many people make up this great big planet. It really puts life in perspective. I often get on the treadmill of life satisfaction and then realize how stressed out I am in striving for so much. Only living in His presence, consuming His living water will I EVER truly be satisfied. My prayer is to live out my quiet time throughout the entire day.

I honestly don’t read blogs (only one every now and then) but I’m so grateful you are writing and giving me the opportunity to see Israel through your heart. Thank you friend.

14. Jill Reding says:

Hi Melissa,
    I never read blogs. I’m usually over whelmed by too many emails. I’m not even sure how I receive your email, but I believe God wants to encourage me through you.
    I’ve been to Israel and Palestine 3 times for different missions trips. I am excited to revisit with you! My dream is take my 4 kids there someday. Right now that are all teenagers. My girls did go once, who were then 14 & 16, and they were baptized in the Jordan River. So amazing! I totally “geeked” out. Heehee. I’ve stayed in a church in Nazareth, next to the Nazareth Village. I could hear the donkeys every morning. I hope you get to tour through there! I also was housed at Bethlehem Bible College in West Bank. Going through the check point is humbling. Singing in the cathedrals is breath taking.
    Thank you for making the Word of God more alive in your words and experiences. I need the reminders and memories as you walk and live there these next days.
    In His grip, Jill

15. Thank you for the pictures. I love a quiet beautiful place to study first think in the morning.

16. woke up praying for you, again. Not sure why God has you on my heart so much.
    Maybe it was the rawness with which you shared your humble, pre-trip personal epiphany, or jealousy over your journey to Israel. Maybe it’s just the simple bond of sisterhood in Christ.
    But I prayed that you would walk the holy places in safety, not be as a stranger but as a citizen of heaven. That you would experience His presence-your heritage-and all the wonder your eyes and soul can take in. :)

17. I am so happy for you that you get to be there, where Jesus walked and did His great works on earth.

Thank you for the reminder that I need to seek the water that truly satisfies. It is too easy to get caught up in so many other things.

I wish you many blessings and great understanding of the Word from your experience there.

Carissa in eastern Iowa

18. Kelley Murphy says:

Melissa, this was perfect for me today. I too struggle with satisfying my thirst in so many ways….I needed the reminder to drink from the well He provides. I am going to post this scripture where I see it daily! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. It’s so neat to get to walk it with you. I love you and am praying for all my P31 ladies there!!!! May God bless every step you take in the Holy Land!

19. Melissa,
    Thanks so much for letting me visit Israel vicariously thru you! I have always wanted to go there. Your pictures and words brings tears to me each morning. I am so excited for you! The significance of this place is not lost on you and your heart. I pray that this experience will be so much more than you ever imagined and that God use this experience with you to draw you closer and reveal so much to you.
    Too often, I know what I need to drink to really quench my thirst- the pure water from my faucet (we have amazing well water! very spoiled now) But too often I reach for the sugary stuff, Coke, or a sweet tea or even a cup of coffee. It fills and satisfies for such a short time and often the result is just unnecessary calories and the need to fix coffee breath- Not what I intended or really wanted. So Why do I pass over the water? The lure of the sweet taste or the caffeine fix (wants) overtake my true need for replenishing, refreshing and satisfying a basic need for water- pure and simple- life giving. I do the same thing with God’s Word- I know what I need to recharge me, to encourage me, to give me parenting wisdom, comfort, peace from worry and fretting, set my day’s course aright,- The pure and simple, life-giving words of God but I am lured away by the TV, other books or blogs, Facebook, my to-do list, emails, house work, or more sleep, etc. And I am left with what I didn’t intend or really want- disappointments, guilt, regrets, words spoken without wisdom, unsettledness, frustration with others and mostly with self. I am trying to make sure I drink a glass of water first thing each morning before the coffee and sit still with Bible reading – (with the new P31 app or my Bible reading plan)- Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am lured to the computer or the coffee first…. Great verses to ponder today….
    Thanks again for the updates! Praying for a safe and beautiful memory filled experience for you and the others.

20. Thank you for revealing this in God’s word today. As you I have read and heard this scripture taught and preached on before. But this morning you showed me something I haven’t looked at before or understood. How we thirst spiritual and try to feel it with worldly things. Lord, thank you for giving me a new revelation on this scripture through Meliisa. Thank you for her heart for you and her strong desire to share Your life giving Word. Thank you

21. So so true, Melissa! Something I’ve been going back to over and again this last year–wanting to drink up living water more and more so that I stop trying to find fulfillment in all the other things. My list looks a lot like yours, and I could add other things to it as well. But looking for my “happiness” or “fulfillment” or whatever one might call it IN HIM–well, that’s where I find it every time. His water always satisfies! Enjoy this next day! Looking forward to your next post!

22. Hi Melissa……thank you for doing this and sharing your trip to the Holy Land; a place not everyone will get to visit. But your emails & pictures, sure makes me feel that I’m there with you.
    As I read the story of the woman at the well, and how she went to seek out the villagers to tell them she met someone who knew everything about her, her past; something she probably hid from people prior. I would think she probably avoided them too out of embarrassment. She used her brokenness of the past as her bold “witness” to others. In Jesus kindness, she tasted the sweet living waters of reconciliation with God and immediately responded with telling others the good news.

23. oh my… how God does work. Thank you Jesus. This has been a reminder that all those other things in my life …eg. a good book… will not satisfy my thirst. As I read God’s Word my prayer is that He will teach me… fill me … quench my Thirst. We all have trials. Mine is my 32 year old daughter who has Boarderline Personality Disorder. My rock is Jesus. How do I reach her? I’m trusting God to do that because I don’t know how.

24. Your discussion helps me think about how I use things to try to fill me up instead of turning to God. I want to continue to turn to God and you help me with that quest.

25. Thank you Melissa for this verse today. I love the story of the woman at the well.

I am always thristing for the Lord.

Blessings